Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
The game finally gave me a seed that basically said "YOU SHALL NOT DIE" with holy mantle + dead cat on the first basement. Thanks game! Now to find items!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Jibo posted:

The bomb into special rooms fix apparently causes the game to allow special rooms to border rooms that you cant bomb between:

I bombed down into the item room and was able to enter but I spawned in the room as though I came through the door.

Also, the charged shots going away on room entrance may be related to making it so you can skip boss cutscenes without shooting. The Ipecac run I did today allowed me to safely skip intros without shooting. It also totally hosed up a Monstro's Lung with Poly run I had earlier. gently caress that poo poo.

You could always skip the cutscene without shooting. You just continue to hold down the fire button while hitting start or whatever.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Conquest again. Jesus loving Christ on His birthday.

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Oh, lighten up Mr. Dooms-and-Gloom, "embezzle" is metal.

goodness posted:

You could always skip the cutscene without shooting. You just continue to hold down the fire button while hitting start or whatever.

I think he might be talking about how they fixed it for non charge items like ipecac or Dr. Fetus where if you pressed A to skip it would also fire once straight down and hurt you a lot of the time.

Sparticle
Oct 7, 2012

Sanctum posted:

Eat a dick, demon judgment.

:smith::hf::smith:

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop

TheModernAmerican posted:

I just lost about 3 weeks worth of progress.

I don't know why, I don't know how.

Is there any way to fix this?

e: Yeah, and I lost all my unlocks too. loving great. Really awesome.

I was 7 items away from platinum god, now I need to unlock the chest. What the gently caress.

Oh my loving God I only have 500 coins in the donation machine. loving hell, what even happened?

This also happened to me too. Anybody have any idea what's going on?

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Scorps posted:

I think he might be talking about how they fixed it for non charge items like ipecac or Dr. Fetus where if you pressed A to skip it would also fire once straight down and hurt you a lot of the time.

Yeah this. With the controller you have to press A to skip which makes you shoot down, but not anymore.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

That pickup would give you barely any evil hearts compared to its full potential, and a damage modifier that is meaningless since you have 9 pennies out of 99 for damage.

I mean, lovely roll, but c'mon man

EvilSlug
Dec 5, 2004
Not crazy, just evil.
I just finished the solar system challenge and when the thing popped up to tell me what I'd unlocked it was entirely blank. I'm seriously hoping that didn't bug out; because I really don't want to do that one again. On the brighter side, I should never have to mess with cat got your tongue again. Lil' Brimstone saves the day.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

Cerony posted:

This also happened to me too. Anybody have any idea what's going on?
You can restore any items you've unlocked by selecting a save and hitting alt-F2, but it wont fill in your post-it or restore donation machine money. I lost my saves due to steam cloud bullshit, so I disabled steam cloud. Then it happened again. This is how I play now:

I had to revert once, I'm glad I religiously made backups every day. Losing progress, never again. :argh:

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I love the irony of loading down Maggie with Devil Room items.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
And Real Platinum God is complete. Time to put this away for a while.

Mental Midget
Apr 18, 2005

We're glad you could play SQIV. As usual, you've been a real pantload.

Snazzy Frocks posted:

And Real Platinum God is complete. Time to put this away for a while.

Nice work!

Man, this latest patch really hosed my game up. I hard locked like 5 minutes in to the first run after the patch. I'll definitely be playing on the Vita instead until they can fix this stuff - It's on v1.03 where Krampus's head is still only a 3-room charge :cool:

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Which patch was it that makes it so that you auto fire your Brimstone whenever you enter a room before enemies can be damaged? It's such a stupid change that serves no purpose aside from being a pain in the rear end.

beef express
Sep 7, 2005

The highest technique is to have no technique.
The last one, as far as I know it's deemed a bug.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Used about 40 Eden tokens, but I rolled up Godhead. Got the Dollar with Cain. But gently caress if I can get a secret room to spawn an item so I can try rerolling it into a Skeleton Key or Transcendence. Only two items I need. As is, I've been restarting if the first floor's secret room doesn't have anything. Can those two items even spawn in an early secret room? I dunno what the rules of those are in Rebirth.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

ChibiSoma posted:

Used about 40 Eden tokens, but I rolled up Godhead. Got the Dollar with Cain. But gently caress if I can get a secret room to spawn an item so I can try rerolling it into a Skeleton Key or Transcendence. Only two items I need. As is, I've been restarting if the first floor's secret room doesn't have anything. Can those two items even spawn in an early secret room? I dunno what the rules of those are in Rebirth.

Yeah they can, it's just really rare. That's how I farmed Missing No.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
What does it mean when a room has what looks like a light shining down upon it? It's not the beam to cathedral, it's just a normal room with a heavenly light that shifts as I do.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Darth Windu posted:

What does it mean when a room has what looks like a light shining down upon it? It's not the beam to cathedral, it's just a normal room with a heavenly light that shifts as I do.

That's just an effect for all rooms in the basement and cathedral as far as I'm aware.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

IGgy IGsen posted:

That's just an effect for all rooms in the basement and cathedral as far as I'm aware.

Oh, I guess I just never noticed it before.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Just did Boss Rush and the Chest with Cain for the first time. Got an early Revenge Fly, which helped, but then got Tech 1, Tech 2 and the Mulligan. Boss Rush gave me a choice of Spider Bite and Blood of the Martyr; I took Spider Bite, then completing the rush gave me Ludovico. I got no hearts in the Chest and was on half a heart by the time I reached ???'s room, but luckily I got the Rosary in the last room before the boss and that was enough to keep me alive.

Interestingly, if you have more than one Tech Ludovico only converts one of them into the ring. The other one continues to fire, but not always in the direction you're pushing.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

ChibiSoma posted:

I needed to find the 1up! and Trancendence so what I did for about 20 minutes was start with Issac, his bomb, and his d6 and just bomb a wall next to the starting room. No secret room? Hold R. Secret room with no special item? Hold R. Secret room with item? Reroll it then hold R. It took a while but I'd imagine it's a lot quicker than playing through the game hoping to find secret rooms with items. To find my Angel room items I used the d6 wafer and sharp plug on the Key the angels drop.

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Oh, lighten up Mr. Dooms-and-Gloom, "embezzle" is metal.
Has anyone tried to unlock The Lost in either the most current or 1 previous version of the patch?

I've tried twice now, following all instructions very carefully and I haven't unlocked it. I've tried checking the game log.txt and it continually is failing me when I back out of Isaac's death screen to select Maggie.

I have tried without seeds, Isaac death to Muliboom on basement/Maggie bomb death on caves/Judas dying to Mom stomp/Azazel dying to Satan phase 2 NOT BRIMSTONE beams.

I just am wondering if anyone else has actually done this successfully in the recent patches because I cannot figure out why it keeps failing me and I'm wondering if I should try to contact the devs at this point?

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry

Sanctum posted:

You can restore any items you've unlocked by selecting a save and hitting alt-F2, but it wont fill in your post-it or restore donation machine money. I lost my saves due to steam cloud bullshit, so I disabled steam cloud. Then it happened again. This is how I play now:

I had to revert once, I'm glad I religiously made backups every day. Losing progress, never again. :argh:

Well that's some poo poo. Guess I'll use cheat engine to restore my progress then do this. How do I force Isaac to save elsewhere?

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Godhead is some silly poo poo. I wish it wasn't angel rooms only.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

omeg posted:

Godhead is some silly poo poo. I wish it wasn't angel rooms only.

I got it before I unlocked the Lost, thanks to the D4 :shobon:

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

D4 is pretty fun. Would be nicer if item pools didn't become exhausted fast.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
Beating Mega Satan doesn't give you an achievement?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Jedit posted:

Just did Boss Rush and the Chest with Cain for the first time. Got an early Revenge Fly, which helped, but then got Tech 1, Tech 2 and the Mulligan. Boss Rush gave me a choice of Spider Bite and Blood of the Martyr; I took Spider Bite, then completing the rush gave me Ludovico. I got no hearts in the Chest and was on half a heart by the time I reached ???'s room, but luckily I got the Rosary in the last room before the boss and that was enough to keep me alive.

Interestingly, if you have more than one Tech Ludovico only converts one of them into the ring. The other one continues to fire, but not always in the direction you're pushing.

When you have the Ludovico technique tech 2 doesn't fire in the direction you're holding, it fires in the direction your tear is relative to you.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

shodanjr_gr posted:

Beating Mega Satan doesn't give you an achievement?

All you get is one last ending. It'd be cool if you got an achievement for killing him, but I'm glad I don't have to do it with every character since even getting to fight him requires luck

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

God loving drat it.

My save is gone.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Heran Bago posted:

God loving drat it.

My save is gone.

It's rare that I've seen a game use the steam cloud and also have actual proper save management. How hard would it be to let people easily keep backups of their saves and roll back if steam gets it all hosed up?

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.
Do you people that are quite good at the game rely on a good set of drops and restart until that happens, or do you approach every run like you're going to the end of it?

Side question, do you twin-stick to move/shoot or dpad/buttons?

I ask because I suck, and if there's some way that is better so I will generally get farther in my runs I'm willing to try it. I generally clear every level and only open up stores if I have more than 10 coins to spend. I take whatever I get every run and usually die around the depths levels, almost always I die to mom if I get that far.

Help me help myself to get better!

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

mr. nobody posted:

Do you people that are quite good at the game rely on a good set of drops and restart until that happens, or do you approach every run like you're going to the end of it?

I ask because I suck, and if there's some way that is better so I will generally get farther in my runs I'm willing to try it. I generally clear every level and only open up stores if I have more than 10 coins to spend. I take whatever I get every run and usually die around the depths levels, almost always I die to mom if I get that far.

Are you accidentally playing on hard mode? On normal, almost every run should be able to win (basically, barring particularly bad RNG like curse of blind with run-ending item). People who are REALLY good can do the same on hard. So yeah, no need to restart at all really.

I like twinstick because you can move slower for stuff like mom's knife backpeddling and diagonal shots, but some purists like keyboard from what I can tell so dpad/buttons are just as good really.

edit: as an actual tip, the #1 skill-based thing that turns poo poo runs into good runs is to not take red heart damage from the second level onwards so you get devil deals as often as possible.

Zo fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Dec 27, 2014

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

56th Motorized Infantry 'Mariupol' Brigade
Seh' die Welt in Trummern liegen
Do secret rooms not appear on all levels anymore?

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry
Well I'm doing the super fun and not at all really stupid task of cheat engining all my unlocks back.

Tammy's + Brimstone + 10 Emperor cards sure isn't repetitive at all, no sir.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

CSM posted:

Do secret rooms not appear on all levels anymore?

I posted this earlier but they now don't need to be accessible from each adjacent room. Good luck getting in if its between a room with a pit or block in the way and the challenge room.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

mr. nobody posted:

I never restart a run unless I accidentally gimp myself with a loadout that takes 5 minutes to kill monstro, because that's just a slog. Luckily, that's quite hard to do. Otherwise I play it through until I die or win. I use twin sticks usually, the exception being with optional charge up items like chocolate milk and the cursed eye, in which case I use the sticks to charge and the buttons to rapidfire. I would advise raising that coin limit to 15 coins as that is how much big items cost. You can also hit the shop if you have 5 or more coins and really need a bomb or heart. Who knows, maybe there will be a sale and the big item will only be 7 coins.

Gameplay tips! Have you gotten the hang of angling your shots yet? It's a valuable skill. If you're moving while shooting your tears will carry some of your momentum, allowing you to hit enemies who are not lined up with you. It's a good way to kill enemies without staying in their line of fire. What about secret rooms? They don't show up on the map until you discover them, and you have to bomb your way in. One is almost always connected to at least 3 other rooms, the other is never connected to more than one. They will also be revealed by the Blue Map, so take note of where they spawn when you get it. As for mom, there is a good trick for beating her. If you stand just to the left of the bottom door she'll repeatedly stick her hand out to grab you, but won't be able to reach. You'll still have to deal with the leg and enemy spawns, but it should help.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
So I'm pretty apprehensive about playing the most recent update at all- not because of the bugs introduced, but because of the multiple folks here complaining their save got deleted since that update dropped. Are the two correlated?

Jibo posted:

I posted this earlier but they now don't need to be accessible from each adjacent room. Good luck getting in if its between a room with a pit or block in the way and the challenge room.

This is a bug right?

Jesus I feel this game is stable than at release/first update. I feel like we'd be better off if they didn't try to balance anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.
Thanks for the tips, that one about beating mom should help. I always get stuck moving around the room dodging enemy bullets in the limited space and getting footed to death or hit a mom part while dodging a bullet.

I make sure not to play on hard mode so that's not it. Older slower reflexes starting to catch up with me maybe :corsair: