Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Cheers mate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Jippa posted:

Ok what do I bind to use the grappling hook?

It's a little finicky. Sometimes you need to switch classes / rebind use_action_slot in options / hope and pray. Sometimes, certain classes will be able to use the hook while other classes can't until I rebind it in options. It's still beta.

Don't be afraid to bind the hook to a MOUSE3/4/5 button - it's so much better being able to rapid-fire the hook instead of having to look down at your keyboard and remember that it's H or something else out of the way. I set mine to Mouse5 and haven't looked back.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

At one point I had it equipped and neither slot 6 nor using the action slot actually worked, until I changed loadout slots.

Mr. Mojangles
Dec 15, 2005

Jippa posted:

Ok what do I bind to use the grappling hook?

bind [key] +use_action_slot_item

remember to equip the hook :v:

Magypsy
Apr 2, 2010

People call me Pine! (Pine!)
Eastern Venus Space Police.
If there's slime, (There's slime!)
Involved in a crime, (Bad crime!)
We'll clean them up on the beat! (The beat!)

Svdl posted:

I knew there was something up with the weapon, people kept mentioning problems with the mod.
Every day I thought I'd fix it some other day.

:negative:

Well, I'm still real happy about the sticky launcher, and I really love how Valve has not forgotten the old workshop submissions.
I made the launcher about three years ago.

Uh, I'm sorry for accidently ruining your day. :suicide: At least you got a different weapon in!

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Dabir posted:

At one point I had it equipped and neither slot 6 nor using the action slot actually worked, until I changed loadout slots.

It happens to me whenever I join a team as engie and I have the gunslinger equipped. Switching to a wrench and back fixes it for me.
Possibly other classes have this kind of weapon weirdness.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

gnome7 posted:

You try using a shotgun on a sentry gun, buddy.

I mean scout can't kill sentries either I don't see what the big deal is? Switch to a class that can take out the sentry or go kill some other dude. The Short Circuit exists so soldiers and demos can't just spam the sentry to death, and that's okay.

No. No more dancing!
Jun 15, 2006
Let 'er rip, dude!

Peanut President posted:

I mean scout can't kill sentries either I don't see what the big deal is? Switch to a class that can take out the sentry or go kill some other dude. The Short Circuit exists so soldiers and demos can't just spam the sentry to death, and that's okay.
Cool I didn't know they added new classes to TF2.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Peanut President posted:

Which class do you recommend as better than soldier or demo for killing sentries?

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Trabisnikof posted:

Which class do you recommend as better than soldier or demo for killing sentries?

Spy :downs:

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

This reminds me: My hitsounds stopped working and nothing I do makes them work. There's a billion different broken instructions on the internet, all lies. How do I get them working again?

E: Jesus Christ:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5stoiYCoKLI

boo_radley fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Dec 26, 2014

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Trabisnikof posted:

I've killed a level three sentry as pyro. So I'd suggest him or heavy.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Peanut President posted:

I've killed a level three sentry as pyro. So I'd suggest him or heavy.

This works fine as long as another engie hasn't decided to set up his sentry in the same room (though it still works if the second engie is retarded and stuck his sentry directly beside the first sentry)

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Peanut President posted:

I mean scout can't kill sentries either I don't see what the big deal is? Switch to a class that can take out the sentry or go kill some other dude.
Whenever someone complains about sentries as a scout, the answer used to be "switch to a class that can kill sentries, like demo or soldier".

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what if the short circuit had been a spy weapon, and using it didn't wreck cloaking/didn't make it entirely obvious who was using it, and if it worked on all enemy weapons in a certain range

imagine all of the ruined pushes :allears:

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

What if the short circuit went back to the initial buff and never got nerfed after that and nobody complained

That would have been nice

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
What if the engineer class didn't exist.

That would have been nice.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

qsvui posted:

What if the engineer class didn't exist.

:agreed:

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Peanut President posted:

No it's not. The short circuit encourages stalemates by giving the worst class a weapon that shuts down the weapons best suited to destroy their stalemate-causing special building.

The engineer doesn't need an enabler for denying sentry destruction. The engineer needs to be blown up, often, by explosive classes in between moments of usefulness and clever building placement

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

qsvui posted:

What if the engineer class sentry didn't exist.

I don't mind the engineer. I enjoy running around with the Widowmaker being a fat texan scout. But gently caress the turtle engineers who build a sentry and dispenser in the same place and then babysit them all game instead of building teleporters and dispensers for the rest of the team.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
A good engineer is only second to a good medic when it comes to multiplying the force of the rest of the team. Good engies keep their teles up, their dispensers in a good spot, and their sentries in a spot that will either cut off flanking routes, act as a speed bump, and/or keep their tele/dispenser protected*. Unfortunately most pubbies instead see it as a class that has some uber-powerful fixed-position gun and use that to try and get kills.

*This is why I'm hardly ever rolling with the Gunslinger because minis are poo poo at keeping your other stuff alive. The only time I use them is when I'm actively trying to be a distracting rear end in a top hat.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I find that on valve servers a mini is essentially a shield you can deploy in one on one combat. During that crucial next shot while the enemy is blasting my mini with PTSD from every other rear end in a top hat mini engineer he has ever faced set firmly in his mind I am lining up my meatshot with the old mark one shotgun and clearing the immediate area for my next sentry; as purchased by the gun of the enemy.

Doesn't work so often on heavies though. Or against good soldiers/demos, but again this is a valve server after all.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

LogisticEarth posted:

A good engineer is only second to a good medic when it comes to multiplying the force of the rest of the team. Good engies keep their teles up, their dispensers in a good spot, and their sentries in a spot that will either cut off flanking routes, act as a speed bump, and/or keep their tele/dispenser protected*. Unfortunately most pubbies instead see it as a class that has some uber-powerful fixed-position gun and use that to try and get kills.

*This is why I'm hardly ever rolling with the Gunslinger because minis are poo poo at keeping your other stuff alive. The only time I use them is when I'm actively trying to be a distracting rear end in a top hat.

A good Engineer is a dead Engineer. Cheers mate

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
I forgot this is the thread that threw a hissy fit when the demoman got the slightest nerf.

Peanut President fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Dec 26, 2014

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Play engineer and laugh at scouts. Hahaha.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Loads of scout and/or demoman mains itt

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Peanut President posted:

I forgot this is the thread that threw a hissy fit when the demoman got the slightest nerf.

It's stupid that a demo should be able to do a lot of damage, I approve of reducing his damage-dealing. In line with bringing the OP sticky launcher down a peg, I'd like to suggest a couple of other balance changes.

-Spy's revolver now does the same damage as the Engy's and scout's pistol. They're both handguns, why should the Spy's do more damage? Between-shot and reload times remain the same.
-All engineer buildings health reduced 50%. No other classes can build something that does damage for them, this just reduces that inequality.
-Sentry guns have damage reduced 30%. No other class can auto-target enemies, this just reduces his OP advantage.
-Huntsman arrows now do the same damage as crusader crossbow bolts. They're both arrows, why should sniper's do more damage?
-Medigun normal heal rate reduced from 24/sec to 20/sec, to match the heal rate of the L3 dispenser. Can't have people playing medic just run around healing an entire team, it's called Team Fortress 2.
-Stock rockets now travel at 925 HU/s instead of 1100 HU/s, same as stickybombs.
-Heavy can no longer equip shotgun, this is too powerful as a secondary- after all, it's the Engy's primary.
-Scout cleavers now recharge at the same rate as sandman balls
-Medic health no longer regenerates. No other class gets this, why should Medic?
-All pyro crits are now only 25% damage increases, subject to fall-off. Most other classes can't deal out crits, pyro shouldn't get to either.
-Scout health reduced to 100. He already moves the fastest, he shouldn't get the same health as a sniper who moves slower.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Engineers are in a similar position as spies and snipers, in that they ruin games often and it's pretty visible that they're the ones doing it.

They don't need to be removed and I don't really agree that it's 100% necessary for demomen to have the ability to quickly down a sentry with only 2 stickies and thus the sticky launcher should never be nerfed, but how things affect engineers is always something worth thinking about. Pub games, for better or for worse, tend to revolve almost entirely around the engineers, so something like the SC letting engies totally shut down the two classes best equipped to kill sentries is kind of bad, when there isn't really a good alternative (heavy and pyro ubers have been brought up, but they really aren't a satisfying answer because 1. this still doesn't really work against multi-sentry nests, which are quite common, and 2. just by equipping the sc you're preventing a team from getting past your sentry without building up an uber first, which is kinda lovely)

I'd be much more ok with the SC if heavy or pyro had any weapons that would let them take down sentry guns better, at least to the point where an ubered heavy/pyro could kill a 2-3 sentry nest like a demo or soldier uber can. Honestly as it stands, your best option for dealing with a nest with a SC in it is to uber a soldier, who can run in and shotgun down the engie with the SC, then quickly swap to direct hit and take down the sentries

EDIT: ^^ cool strawman buddy

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

ninjewtsu posted:

2. just by equipping the sc you're preventing a team from getting past your sentry without building up an uber first, which is kinda lovely)

I'd be much more ok with the SC if heavy or pyro had any weapons that would let them take down sentry guns better, at least to the point where an ubered heavy/pyro could kill a 2-3 sentry nest like a demo or soldier uber can. Honestly as it stands, your best option for dealing with a nest with a SC in it is to uber a soldier, who can run in and shotgun down the engie with the SC, then quickly swap to direct hit and take down the sentries

Lol of you think a soldier will be able to get close enough to an engy to shotgun him while fighting pushback from multiple sentries, which he can't just rocket down due to the SC engy. Also even an uber is no guarantee against a SC engy, he can zap projectiles of an ubered player just fine.

ninjewtsu posted:

EDIT: ^^ cool strawman buddy

I'm totally serious. Demos doing a lot of damage (not the MOST damage, that honor clearly goes to the minigun) needs to be nerfed, I'm just suggesting other classes getting their primary abilities degraded as well. It's no more fair for a spy to cloak than it is for a demo to be able to do a lot of damage.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Uncle Enzo posted:

Lol of you think a soldier will be able to get close enough to an engy to shotgun him while fighting pushback from multiple sentries, which he can't just rocket down due to the SC engy. Also even an uber is no guarantee against a SC engy, he can zap projectiles of an ubered player just fine.

What I meant was that if you just stuck your sentry gun around some random corner, without any other engies backing you up, by equiping the SC you already guarantee that the attacking team can't get past your sentry without first ubering a pyro or heavy. Or having the old spy saps -> teammate attacks routine (this is a much greater rarity than a medic being able to build up an uber, as rare as pub medics are), since the classes that can take down a sentry while unubered (pop around corner trick/firing around corner/taking advantage of uneven terrain) are hard-countered by the SC.

I mean I guess depending on the corner a sniper might be able to do the job but otherwise it's uber or bust (don't count on a sniper to do the job)

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009
It's really obnoxious that I can't deal damage to an engineer or any of his nearby buddies and need to fall back because he used the advanced tactic of holding down mouse1.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I want sapper that disables buildings but deal no damage on their own. In return it would take considerably more whacks to remove, and if placed on a teleporter whacking one end wouldn't remove it from the other.

e: I mean the sapper would only sap the end it was placed on, too.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Dec 26, 2014

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I mean at that point you're probably just as well off shooting it with your revolver though

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

ninjewtsu posted:

I mean at that point you're probably just as well off shooting it with your revolver though

The idea is that it locks the engineer from building a new one since he can't destroy a building that is being sapped.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Collateral Damage posted:

I don't mind the engineer. I enjoy running around with the Widowmaker being a fat texan scout. But gently caress the turtle engineers who build a sentry and dispenser in the same place and then babysit them all game instead of building teleporters and dispensers for the rest of the team.

The best times as an engineer are playing like a complete goddamned psychopath and trying to get sentries as far ahead as possible. My favorite thing to do in capture the flag is to get my nest up in the other team's intel room. This is especially great if you can get your team to keep your tele entrance back home safe and just keep teleporting right to the intel all day.

The other hilarious thing is having like six engineers and just constantly leapfrog your sentries forward in an ever advancing wall of "gently caress you." People that play engie as a pure turtle aren't living.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I dunno how I feel about being able to disable an engie's ability to build teles like that

Teles are good and fun and there should always be more of them

EDIT: ^^^ sentries in the enemy intel is the best way to play. That and going rescue ranger + wrangler and sticking your sentry in just the most blatant, out in the open spot you can and see how long you can keep it up

The most fun I've ever had as engie was when I had that setup on the first point of hoodoo 1, around the corner of the building to the right of the point (coming from blu spawn), and my team got wiped out but I was able to keep my sentry (and only mine) up and running there. It's fun seeing how long you can survive against the entire enemy team with a dispenser that keeps getting sapped and a sentry that you have to constantly wranglershield to keep alive

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Dec 26, 2014

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

BillehS posted:

The idea is that it locks the engineer from building a new one since he can't destroy a building that is being sapped.

No, the idea is that you want to lock down mini-sentries. You can say it we all know it.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

notZaar posted:

No, the idea is that you want to lock down mini-sentries. You can say it we all know it.

I'm not the one who posted the sapper idea.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Uncle Enzo posted:

-All pyro crits are now only 25% damage increases, subject to fall-off. Most other classes can't deal out crits, pyro shouldn't get to either.

This one already happened though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
I think the point of a sapper that does no damage but takes more whacks to remove is that the spy or his teammates then just shoot the sentry. If the spy chooses to shoot the sentry, the engineer basically has to deal with him before removing the sapper or else it'll be shot to death by the time he saves it or the spy will kill him.

• Locked thread