Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Miss Nomer posted:

As for being a quadriplegic,... the firenation avatar standing behind Aang doesn't have any arms, so this could probably happen.

I just noticed that the Avatar cycle order is totally messed up in that third row.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

Miss Nomer posted:

Raava joined with Wan and it's Wan's reincarnations that are the Avatars. I'm guessing there was never a psychopath avatar because Wan's base personality was helping people (that being said, they've never been really clear on how they're all the same soul yet several of them are running around in the spirit world at the same time). As for being a quadriplegic,... the firenation avatar standing behind Aang doesn't have any arms, so this could probably happen.

Pretty sure that's Roku.

e: Oh, the woman. Lol nvm.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

thexerox123 posted:

I just noticed that the Avatar cycle order is totally messed up in that third row.

They don't all need to be standing in cycle order...unless they do need to.

You know what I strangely want? One of those books they used to make that tells "lore" (I had that word in this context, but can't think of another) for the series. One of those books that explains how the world works and talks about the stuff they don't show on camera.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Covok posted:

You know what I strangely want? One of those books they used to make that tells "lore" (I had that word in this context, but can't think of another) for the series. One of those books that explains how the world works and talks about the stuff they don't show on camera.

Usually I don't care about that stuff, but ever since that "hotman" tidbit from AtLA I became interested in this kind of worldbuilding, for this series at least.

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!
Also speaking of a 600lb Avatar, in that picture of all the past Avatars the Airbender standing behind Kuruk looks pretty chunky, especially by airbender standards.

And regarding Bolin and Mako, I have no evidence to support this but I always assumed that when the creators were starting to work on Book 1 they had the awesome idea for the Avatar to team up with 2 brothers. Since they knew Sokka was a successful character in ATLA, it's as if they decided to split Sokka in two and make one brother the more serious non-nonsense detective type, and make the other one the fun-loving, joking-at-inappropriate-times type. Of course this missed the point that Sokka was a more fully-realized character and if you split that you only end up with 2 one-dimensional characters, thus Mako and Bolin.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

King of Foolians posted:

Also speaking of a 600lb Avatar, in that picture of all the past Avatars the Airbender standing behind Kuruk looks pretty chunky, especially by airbender standards.
Came to post this. That answers that.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Mako and Bolin are best when they have good characters to bounce off of, like Wu and Varrick.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

computer parts posted:

I just assumed it was a demoralizing tactic. There's a character in Diablo 3 that does the same thing and it's pretty funny how every time you slaughter his minions he goes "well, you beat them, but your doom is still certain!!!"

That's every character in Diablo 3.

At least Vaatu actually had a menacing voice and not all his lines were terrible.

King of Foolians posted:

Of course this missed the point that Sokka was a more fully-realized character and if you split that you only end up with 2 one-dimensional characters, thus Mako and Bolin.

Honestly to me Sokka felt like two one-dimensional characters in one body. I'm not sure how that happened without at least making him a two-dimensional character, but it did.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Sokka was by far the worst thing about ATLA. He and Aang annoyed the hell out of me for most of season 1. Aang at least got better later on, but Sokka only ever got tolerable at best.

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

I wish Toph got to do more fighting than she did in this series. Something similar to Bumi soloes an army sidestory, specatle that is only minorly relant to the grand story, but show time restraints and writing in a reason probably wouldn't have benefited the show much, other than providing more Toph one liners.

Bacontotem fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Dec 26, 2014

Steensma
Nov 2, 2014

Mako and Bolin were at their best in season 3, hanging out on the streets of Ba Sing Se and looking for their family. Season 3 seemed to get everything right but I think season 4 found good roles for the two of them as well. The thing is they're not super-heroic or charismatic individuals. Mako is dorky and self-serious, and he only got to be a good character when the writers acknowledged this and had to stop highlighting every moment he did as something badass.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Mymla posted:

Sokka was by far the worst thing about ATLA. He and Aang annoyed the hell out of me for most of season 1. Aang at least got better later on, but Sokka only ever got tolerable at best.

Sokka, like Bolin, would be fine if they'd just toned him the gently caress down. As it is you can always count on him to ruin the tone of any scene.

Bacontotem posted:

I'm kinda disappointed that Toph didn't get a Bumi soloes an entire army moment in her old age as well.

Bumi is a joke character. I don't mean that as an insult. His entire character is literally just for jokes. Including the "I'm a 112 year old killing machine" thing.

Also bringing in a fan favorite character from the previous series and just having her demonstrate she could solve the whole problem by herself would be terrible writing.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Yeah, Sokka completely ruins the mood of Avatar, just like the Nurse ruins the romanticism of Romeo and Juliet and C3P0 ruins Star Wars. I mean, for Christ's sake, it's a kid show.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Did anyone actually like C-3P0?

And no one's complaining that Sokka tells goofy jokes. His problem is that he tells them at the wrong times, and they're usually really bad. I mean hell, even in the same series we can go to Toph for comic relief that actually usually works and doesn't completely ruin the tone of whatever scene it appears in.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

The Sharmat posted:

That's every character in Diablo 3. At least Vaatu actually had a menacing voice and not all his lines were terrible.
This is funny because Vaatu has the same VA as Tyrael in Diablo 3. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0011095/

Jackard fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Dec 26, 2014

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Vaatu is better than all of Diablo 3's villains. He had the common courtesy to shut up and not send Korra holo calls detailing his plans despite, repeatedly, being told by everyone he's the greatest tactician in the history of the universe. gently caress, Azmodan was goddamn dumb and it's worse made by the fact that the Act 3 opening cutscene being awesome and seeing through the main foil of the game.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Steensma posted:

Mako and Bolin were at their best in season 3, hanging out on the streets of Ba Sing Se and looking for their family. Season 3 seemed to get everything right but I think season 4 found good roles for the two of them as well. The thing is they're not super-heroic or charismatic individuals. Mako is dorky and self-serious, and he only got to be a good character when the writers acknowledged this and had to stop highlighting every moment he did as something badass.
Mako and Bolin are at their best when they're together, they're very explicit foils for one another. So yeah, they were good in Season 3, and when they were split up in Season 4 there were moments where their shittier parts came out.

DJPress
Sep 23, 2006

Lone Wolf and... Lemur?

Ambivalent posted:

I really, really like when they get really good focus on fight choreography. And conversely, I really hate when they stop being cool martial arts with element effects, and start being wizards who wave their hands to do magic. Season 3 of ATLA seemed to do the Wizard thing a lot more. Korra had some great choreography, but also seemed to entirely forget fight choreography.

I remember watching some behind-the-scenes stuff and learning that they made the artists practice martial arts in the four forms that correspond with the bending elements in the show. While I can't explain why Season 3 of AtLA became more wizardry, my guess for LoK is that training artists kung fu to then transfer on to the screen was one of the first budget cuts of an already tight ship.

DJPress
Sep 23, 2006

Lone Wolf and... Lemur?

thexerox123 posted:

I think it snakes around instead of typewriter style. Could be wrong though.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

DJPress posted:

I remember watching some behind-the-scenes stuff and learning that they made the artists practice martial arts in the four forms that correspond with the bending elements in the show. While I can't explain why Season 3 of AtLA became more wizardry, my guess for LoK is that training artists kung fu to then transfer on to the screen was one of the first budget cuts of an already tight ship.

Or maybe the exact same magical kung fu with the exact same forms would start getting boring somewhere around the sixth season of the franchise.

DJPress
Sep 23, 2006

Lone Wolf and... Lemur?

The Sharmat posted:

Or maybe the exact same magical kung fu with the exact same forms would start getting boring somewhere around the sixth season of the franchise.

I don't really think that any one form of martial art that is taught to a writer over the course of a few months would constitute "the exact same forms." I mean, these guys (presumably) didn't leave those lessons as experts or with the full grasp of one, let alone four, forms. There was more that could be learned--much of which could be displayed on screen.

I always thought that one of the coolest fight scenes (albeit in a not-so-great episode) is when where Aang and Zuko are fighting at the hospital/perfume/massage place over the water well. Aang keeps dodging and moving around while Zuko attacks. Actually, there are a few scenes like this as that's airbending style. One of the ways to keep a style fresh is to make it face a different style, ie firebender v. airbender operates differently than firebender v. earthbender, etc. Throw in some additional "side"bending abilities (lava, metal, etc.) and there are numerous possibilities.

All of this seems much more expensive than a direct saying "Have her shoot water while this guy deflects it with a rock wall"

Miss Nomer
May 7, 2007
Saving the world in a thong

thexerox123 posted:

Someone put them in as much order as they could based off of the statues:

Writh
Dec 31, 2008

Big D's chillin' over here, wasteland style
Is it just me does anyone else get a really regale vibe on the fire nation avatars. All the fire Avatars look like they came from nobility, I guess that says more about my perception of fire nation clothing. We know Roku grew up with Sozin as a childhood friend. I wonder if the fire nation figures out who the avatar is at infancy and then just raises them as nobility until their true identity is revealed. (Nothing to think to hard about just an off hand glance and a lack of desire to leave that world. I'LL NEVER MASTER THE AVATAR STATE!)

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

DJPress posted:

I think it snakes around instead of typewriter style. Could be wrong though.

Going either direction in the third row doesn't work.

(Edit, I guess it's the fourth row... the third row not counting Aang, though.)

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Writh posted:

Is it just me does anyone else get a really regale vibe on the fire nation avatars. All the fire Avatars look like they came from nobility, I guess that says more about my perception of fire nation clothing. We know Roku grew up with Sozin as a childhood friend. I wonder if the fire nation figures out who the avatar is at infancy and then just raises them as nobility until their true identity is revealed. (Nothing to think to hard about just an off hand glance and a lack of desire to leave that world. I'LL NEVER MASTER THE AVATAR STATE!)
I'm getting the vibe that everyone not from the Fire Nation seems to die at a really young age.

Aang was a sort-of exception, since his years in the ice still counted towards his age and natural death.

If they ever make a sequel of some sort to the universe, I hope Korra's statue looks like Katara.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

ufarn posted:

I'm getting the vibe that everyone not from the Fire Nation seems to die at a really young age.

Aang was a sort-of exception, since his years in the ice still counted towards his age and natural death.

If they ever make a sequel of some sort to the universe, I hope Korra's statue looks like Katara.

Wasn't Avatar Kyoshi like over 100 years old or something? She was an Earthbender.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Covok posted:

Wasn't Avatar Kyoshi like over 100 years old or something? She was an Earthbender.
She lived a bit, but is that old by Avatar standards? Given that her visage and statue *looks* young, I presume she died at an early age. Or maybe firebenders just have awful genes.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Kyoshi lived to be 230 years old, but using that as an actual world building detail for lifespans is iffy because it wasn't really written intentionally, and more due to Bryke not thinking through the full implications of dates they gave for different events and avatars.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Mymla posted:

The Sharmat posted:

Sokka, like Bolin, would be fine if they'd just toned him the gently caress down. As it is you can always count on him to ruin the tone of any scene.

The Sharmat posted:

Did anyone actually like C-3P0?

And no one's complaining that Sokka tells goofy jokes. His problem is that he tells them at the wrong times, and they're usually really bad. I mean hell, even in the same series we can go to Toph for comic relief that actually usually works and doesn't completely ruin the tone of whatever scene it appears in.

why are you even watching a show made for children if this stuff bothers you

Covok
May 27, 2013

ufarn posted:

She lived a bit, but is that old by Avatar standards? Given that her visage and statue *looks* young, I presume she died at an early age. Or maybe firebenders just have awful genes.

It's implied Avatars live a normal human lifespan and Kyoshi was special for living past that (I think). It might be one of those "your soul is only as old as you really are" things. That, or they didn't think it through or didn't want to have them all be old, grey dudes(ettes).

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Covok posted:

It's implied Avatars live a normal human lifespan and Kyoshi was special for living past that (I think). It might be one of those "your soul is only as old as you really are" things. That, or they didn't think it through or didn't want to have them all be old, grey dudes(ettes).

I'm pretty sure it was the reverse, that Avatars will like a long life, 100+, and Aang died young because his hibernation caught up with him.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

What? How did Aang actually die?

Covok
May 27, 2013

pentyne posted:

I'm pretty sure it was the reverse, that Avatars will like a long life, 100+, and Aang died young because his hibernation caught up with him.

Roku and Sozin were born around the same time, right? They both aged at the same rate it seemed in the flashback episode.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

He died of old age. It's just that Aang may have been 12 physically but he was still 112 and those 100 years spent in the Avatar state took a toll on his long-term lifespan.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

He died doing what he loved....

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

He died of old age. It's just that Aang may have been 12 physically but he was still 112 and those 100 years spent in the Avatar state took a toll on his long-term lifespan.

Ah, ok.

thexerox123 posted:

He died doing what he loved....

Ahaha.

Writh
Dec 31, 2008

Big D's chillin' over here, wasteland style
Reading into it more than I should; I figured those statues in the Avatar temples that glow when the avatar goes into the avatar state may have something to do with out they manifest themselves to the current avatar. The statues would probably be made to honor the time the avatar did something... I don't know... great. Kyoshi created Kyoshi Island and the Dai Li around the same point in her life, based on how she looked. So around that time they likely made her statue to put in the temples to honor the deeds she had done in the world. Aang's statue is of when he was an adult but I imagine that was due to their being no one in the air temples to make his statues at the time. (p.s. I assume each nations made their own Avatar's statue and sent copies to the other nations avatar temples) Again all assumptions that mean nothing.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
In addition to a hypothetical series after Korra, they should do past Avatars(Not Aang).

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

PhazonLink posted:

In addition to a hypothetical series after Korra, they should do past Avatars(Not Aang).

It's been 10,000 years since the avatar cycle started, it'd be really interesting to see some of the first few, then the ones who came in after the world knew about the avatar cycle, and those who had to intervene in major world wars.

A new series that was nothing but experimental artistic styles 2-part episodes each covering a different avatar could be amazing, but it's not the kind of thing that would appeal to Nickelodeon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miss Nomer
May 7, 2007
Saving the world in a thong

Writh posted:

Is it just me does anyone else get a really regale vibe on the fire nation avatars. All the fire Avatars look like they came from nobility, I guess that says more about my perception of fire nation clothing.
I'd guess that being the fire nation avatar and representing them, the fire nation hooks them up with some snazzier gear than the other nations. The Earth Kingdom Empire Semi-united States' avatars look more militaristic.

ufarn posted:

I swear the creators said that the avatars live longer than a normal person can (like Avatar Kyoshi). What qualifies as a normal person's life span, I'm not sure about as Bumi was still spry at 112 years old.
And then you've got avatars like the guy before Avatar Kyoshi who died at 30.

It's hard to know how long all the other avatars lived to as they show up as they see themselves and not at the age they died.

• Locked thread