Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Al Harrington
May 1, 2005

I used to be an adventurer like you, then I took an arrow in the eye

wheez the roux posted:

1 John 4:20 ESV - If anyone says, “I love God,” and hates his brother, he is a liar; for he who does not love his brother whom he has seen cannot love God whom he has not seen.

Proverbs 10:12 ESV - Hatred stirs up strife, but love covers all offenses.

1 John 3:15 ESV - Everyone who hates his brother is a murderer, and you know that no murderer has eternal life abiding in him.

the best part about the bible is that's it's such a giant mishmash of loving garbage retconning and revisions that it contradicts itself all over the god drat place. for every point you can pick from the bible there's something else in it that tells you the opposite. it's almost like it's purposely vague to be wielded as a cludge in whichever manner those with power feel like using it. and we're told the paradoxes arne't stupid, they're what make it brilliant!! how dare we criticize a book that can't keep its own point straight from one page to the next like a garbage paper written as a 1st grade creative writing exercise.

sorry your stupid book makes you ashamed to gently caress dudes and enjoy your life op, feel free to quote the passages about where jesus tells people to hate, of which there are plenty, because he was just as much as a duplicitous spiteful prick as every other cult leader before and after him

I recommend Robert M. Price's podcast "The Human Bible" he's a Baptist minister turned Atheist with a doctorate in theology and the new testament and he talks about all of this and why it is like that, wherever your beliefs may fall at the very least he's entertaining to listen to on this subject

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.
goon project: write a holy text that has passages supporting every side of every divisive issue so in 500 years people can dismiss the millions of things we're wrong about as metaphor nor being misinterpreted while pointing to the few things we end up being correct about as proof of divine inspiration and how it's a book of utmost importance.

poo poo nostradamus beat us to it

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp
I was thinking today about the qualities of "the ideal religion."

The ideal religion is one that helps you cope with loss, while giving you hope.

So therefore, the ideal religion cannot claim the success of a particular race, because a race can be destroyed.

It cannot claim the success of a nation, because a nation can be destroyed.

It cannot even claim the success of humanity, because humanity can be destroyed.

It must not guarantee the success of your romantic endeavors.

And also not your business pursuits.

It mustn't say your children will be healthy and happy and attractive and smart and successful.

It must not promise you anything in this earthly life.

But it also must encourage you to do your best in this earthly life.

Yes, it is clear. Christianity is the ideal religion.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That sounds like kind of a useless religion given that it accomplishes little more than prescription medication.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Kyrie eleison posted:

So therefore, the ideal religion cannot claim the success of a particular race, because a race can be destroyed.

It cannot even claim the success of humanity, because humanity can be destroyed.

It mustn't say your children will be healthy and happy and attractive and smart and successful.

Or would be, if it wasn't for the teachings of a certain Mr. B. Uddha...

Hell, Buddhism even anticipates its own eventual disappearance, though the tradition is that at some far-distant time, there will be the Maitreya Buddha, although theories vary on whether he will just be more or less the same fellow as Buddha, an eternal permanent savior, or something else entirely. (Some have theorized that Muhammad, pbuh and so forth, was the Maitreya Buddha!)

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

Nessus posted:

Or would be, if it wasn't for the teachings of a certain Mr. B. Uddha...

Hell, Buddhism even anticipates its own eventual disappearance, though the tradition is that at some far-distant time, there will be the Maitreya Buddha, although theories vary on whether he will just be more or less the same fellow as Buddha, an eternal permanent savior, or something else entirely. (Some have theorized that Muhammad, pbuh and so forth, was the Maitreya Buddha!)

i'm pretty sure Gautama Buddha is supposed to have reached enlightenment and will no longer reincarnate. Any further Buddhas are separate souls who reach enlightenment on their own. but i guess, because they are all enlightened, they are basically the same state of being.

It's kind of like the Holy Spirit in that way. the same divine person present in many separate souls.

huh... maybe Christianity and Buddhism are the same religion??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyf6HQ_iPjU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
The ideal religion, whatever its form, would probably be a turnoff to weeaboo psychos who gloat at the prospect of people going to hell.

Caros
May 14, 2008

SedanChair posted:

The ideal religion, whatever its form, would probably be a turnoff to weeaboo psychos who gloat at the prospect of people going to hell.

Isn't it just so charming? I'm sure Jesus is going to welcome Kyrie with open arms for the way he told his brothers that he was happy they are going to hell for disagreeing with him on the something awful Internet forums.

Truly Kyrie understands the core point of Jesus. Be a smug mother fucker and gloat.

I suppose the one saving grace if Kyrie is right about religion, he will be in hell right there with everyone else.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The ideal religion must be taught by the means of cheap and obnoxious cartoons, the God's medium of choice.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Kyrie eleison posted:

Boy God sure was dumb giving the Israelites the wrong religion.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Twelve by Pies posted:

An extremely elaborate practical joke.

bokkibear
Feb 28, 2005

Humour is the essence of a democratic society.

Kyrie eleison posted:

Interesting that "being factually true" doesn't appear anywhere on this list.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Disinterested posted:

An extremely elaborate practical joke.

Its not that elaborate, hell, it's got this far with no input whatsoever.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Twelve by Pies posted:

He played a practical joke and then punished them for his own joke.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

bokkibear posted:

Even if you are going to take the claim that if something is not objective, measurable physical fact, it can in no sense be "true" - which seems kind of like a parody, even if I understand the point is "religions don't get to say evolution is fake" - surely you can see how people can be inspired by stories.

bokkibear
Feb 28, 2005

Humour is the essence of a democratic society.

Nessus posted:

surely you can see how people can be inspired by stories.

Of course I can. I've been inspired by lots of books, films, art etc. Was that a religious experience? Would you think it unremarkable if I declared that the events portrayed in Pleasantville actually happened and founded a worldwide organisation to spread the word?

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

I have been inspired by religious stories. A great many people, including Christians, are inspired by ancient mythology. One does not have to be invested in the truth of the supporting religious superstructure of those tales.

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

bokkibear posted:

This is lame... obviously every religion is believed to be true by its practitioners. If you don't believe in it, then it's not a religion.

I guess you all concede that these are qualities of the ideal religion, though.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Kyrie eleison posted:

This is lame... obviously every religion is believed to be true by its practitioners. If you don't believe in it, then it's not a religion.

Edit: :bang:

Responding to that post would be like responding to a motivational poster.

Disinterested fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Dec 26, 2014

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

Disinterested posted:

Responding to that post would like be responding to a motivational poster.

Would like be, indeed. Concession noted.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Kyrie eleison posted:

Why are these qualities of the "ideal" religion? I mean ignoring the fact that the ideal religion would almost certainly be the one that is actually correct, which we can't seem to know since god is sort of a prick about telling us these things, how are these qualities of the ideal religion in the sense that you're talking?

I mean... I guess they are 'ideal' in that religions with these qualities aren't subject to falsification based on future experience, and that makes them 'ideal' from the perspective of keeping the rubes in line but is that the high point you're really going for Kyrie? Duping people into believing something with no evidence?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I think the ideal religion would adopt the moral teachings of Jesus but leave off all the supernatural stuff. Ah, this has been done, and you don't need to call it religion anymore? Splendid.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
A religion, or at the very least Christianity, needn't be falsifiable re. the existence and essence of God, because the understanding of God is reconstituted in each individual separately, based on individual experience and on trying to create a personal theory of moral universe. If for somebody God ends up being the most advanced rational concept of Goodness, then as far as they are concerned, God is true, and whether or not he is falsifiable is insignificant.

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp
Just to be clear: the reason we keep trying despite losing everything is the hope that we might be spared from eternal damnation. We do it out of duty and for no other reason. No lofty theological concepts, no sentimentality.

You are not supposed to think of God as Good in the sense that his views are malleable by you because you have reasoned things out and therefore God must agree with your assessment.

You are supposed to think of God as Good because that is a requirement of being his slave.

If you do not realize that you are totally and completely in service to Him, then you are not repentant.

If you continue in sin, then you are not repentant.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Like, I would say that systems of thought - and God is a system of thought - in general do not require falsification to have significance and persuasive power. Fascism in particular is based on a notion of the people marching to a deliberate death in the wheels of permanent war. You could say that this vision clashes with any scientific efforts in sociology, economy etc. because such an ideology doesn't provide measurable welfare. But it has swept entire nations and led millions to their doom because scientific method is weak in comparison to the illumination provided by ideology, and can't supplant its comforting and guiding power.

So: You can yell that religion is unscientific as much as you can, but that ignores the fact that there are other than scientific truths, and that such social or spiritual truths often have greater power.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Kyrie eleison posted:

We no more need to refute your claims than we do the claim that the sky is made of cotton candy. Their wrongness is self-evident.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Kyrie eleison posted:

Just to be clear: the reason we keep trying despite losing everything is the hope that we might be spared from eternal damnation. We do it out of duty and for no other reason. No lofty theological concepts, no sentimentality.

You are not supposed to think of God as Good in the sense that his views are malleable by you because you have reasoned things out and therefore God must agree with your assessment.

You are supposed to think of God as Good because that is a requirement of being his slave.

If you do not realize that you are totally and completely in service to Him, then you are not repentant.

If you continue in sin, then you are not repentant.

Yeah that guy sounds like a bitch. Non serviam.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

steinrokkan posted:

A religion, or at the very least Christianity, needn't be falsifiable re. the existence and essence of God, because the understanding of God is reconstituted in each individual separately, based on individual experience and on trying to create a personal theory of moral universe. If for somebody God ends up being the most advanced rational concept of Goodness, then as far as they are concerned, God is true, and whether or not he is falsifiable is insignificant.

That's just redefining God into meaninglessness. Most people recognize that the concept of God at the very least has some sort of agency of it's own if not other anthropomorphizing traits.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I thought we were meant to follow God's laws because of love, not because of selfish fear (which is ultimately a result of self-love).

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Who What Now posted:

That's just redefining God into meaninglessness. Most people recognize that the concept of God at the very least has some sort of agency of it's own if not other anthropomorphizing traits.

Isn't his position as the only law-giver the ultimate source of agency?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

steinrokkan posted:

So: You can yell that religion is unscientific as much as you can, but that ignores the fact that there are other than scientific truths, and that such social or spiritual truths often have greater power.

What is a spiritual truth? What does that even mean?

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

steinrokkan posted:

I thought we were meant to follow God's laws because of love, not because of selfish fear (which is ultimately a result of self-love).

Love of the self is perfectly embodied by SedanChair, and by Lucifer, when they say, "I will not serve." They would rather burn in Hell for all eternity than serve God. Their pride will not allow it. That is their choice to make; God gives them that choice, and they make it.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

steinrokkan posted:

Isn't his position as the only law-giver the ultimate source of agency?

You didn't say that. The part I was specifically replying to was your saying that someone's God could just be the ultimate concept of Goodness, which doesn't really have anything to do with being a law-giver.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Kyrie eleison posted:

Love of the self is perfectly embodied by SedanChair, and by Lucifer, when they say, "I will not serve." They would rather burn in Hell for all eternity than serve God. Their pride will not allow it. That is their choice to make; God gives them that choice, and they make it.

I'm choosing to make a chicken parmesan for dinner. Thanks God!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Who What Now posted:

What is a spiritual truth? What does that even mean?

I don't know about a better term; it's the sort of truth that tells me things that are in apparent conflict with empirical reality; that self-immolation is a better course of action than trying to engage the system; that living as a hermit is more meaningful than living in society; that loyalty to a totalitarian regime is more important than self-preservation; that even when standing in front of an execution squad I should cry out praise to Stalin. Philosophical truth?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

steinrokkan posted:

I don't know about a better term; it's the sort of truth that tells me things that are in apparent conflict with empirical reality; that self-immolation is a better course of action than trying to engage the system; that living as a hermit is more meaningful than living in society; that loyalty to a totalitarian regime is more important than self-preservation; that even when standing in front of an execution squad I should cry out praise to Stalin. Philosophical truth?

We already have a word for those: beliefs and convictions.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Who What Now posted:

You didn't say that. The part I was specifically replying to was your saying that someone's God could just be the ultimate concept of Goodness, which doesn't really have anything to do with being a law-giver.

I guess my concept of Goodness is different than yours. For me it necessarily contains an order of things based on laws, which originate in the most general form of Good.

Kyrie eleison posted:

Wouldn't he who served Satan for a promise of some gain be a sinner? And wouldn't he be a willing servant? It seems to me that being in servitude is not in opposition to self-love and sin.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Dec 26, 2014

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Who What Now posted:

We already have a word for those: beliefs and convictions.

But in an ideology a belief isn't just a belief, that's the point I've been trying to express.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

steinrokkan posted:

But in an ideology a belief isn't just a belief, that's the point I've been trying to express.

What? Of course it's just a belief. Holding a belief strongly doesn't make it not a belief.

-EDIT-

steinrokkan posted:

I guess my concept of Goodness is different than yours. For me it necessarily contains an order of things based on laws, which originate in the most general form of Good.

Laws pertain to justice, not necessarily to morality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

When neo-Platonists attack!

• Locked thread