Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp

MockingQuantum posted:

Also gently caress BoF IV's hide and seek game, though it wasn't as bad as I was expecting based on what people were saying about it earlier.

I got stuck on the last fucker forrrrrever when I played it about a month ago.

MockingQuantum posted:

How does Exit Fate rank in comparison to a professionally produced RPG?

I think it does a good job in both terms of mechanics and plot. It's not a bad way to pass time at least.

The guy basically cloned Suikoden 2 and put his own flavoring on it. It's pretty derivative sure, but it's not bad and his writing is better than most poorly localized crossover games from overseas.

Punch Card fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Dec 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

MockingQuantum posted:

It's a third rate Suikoden wannabe with way too evasive enemies that drag encounters out for ages.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

dis astranagant posted:

It's a third rate Suikoden wannabe with way too evasive enemies that drag encounters out for ages.
Did you not upgrade your weapons' accuracy? Random battles were over in like 15-20 seconds to me, and misses weren't that common.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Endorph posted:

Did you not upgrade your weapons' accuracy? Random battles were over in like 15-20 seconds to me, and misses weren't that common.

This was the first dungeon. I didn't play the second.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Snyderman posted:

OFF is neat and Space Funeral is short enough that it's worth a play. I've heard Yume Nikki is good but I've never played it.

Yume Nikki isn't really an RPG, it's a weird outsider art game where you wander around almost totally empty looping areas and pick up items that turn you into inexplicable things. It's a fairly big game and it has an insanely powerful atmosphere, but it's not the sort of thing you'd really play for fun.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Punch Card posted:

I got stuck on the last fucker forrrrrever when I played it about a month ago.

I did spend a little too long looking for the dog kid before I figured out I needed to talk to a nun about it. It's weird to play a BoF game where they pass on the opportunity to put a child in mortal danger, though.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Gamma Nerd posted:

Yume Nikki isn't really an RPG, it's a weird outsider art game where you wander around almost totally empty looping areas and pick up items that turn you into inexplicable things. It's a fairly big game and it has an insanely powerful atmosphere, but it's not the sort of thing you'd really play for fun.

Is Yume Nikki a proto-walking simulator? I never thought about it that way, but now that you mentioned it...huh.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Yume-Nikki is really just a really bizarre point and click adventure where you walk everywhere.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Snyderman posted:

OFF is neat and Space Funeral is short enough that it's worth a play. I've heard Yume Nikki is good but I've never played it.

Space Funeral would be an excellent game to finish an RPGMaker game binge, since its whole aesthetic is a direct response to the pretty-but-samey nature of all the RM games out there.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Just from the top of that list, I know Star Stealing Prince and Sunset of Imdahl are both pretty good RPGMaker games. SSP can be a bit bullshit at points though. Like mentioned, some of them aren't really RPGs, so to speak. At least not the typical idea of them. .flow is a Yume Nikki clone. Ib is more a horror sort of game. Maybe kind of sort of like Corpse Party, with less pedobait stuff (at least from what I saw of it).

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Punch Card posted:

I Miss the Sunrise has more of a strategy element to it but it fits and it's really pretty cool.

that game is really great. the developer also made a Mystery Dungeon which is a hell of a thing to make in rpg maker https://www.rpgmaker.net/games/4395/

i keep meaning to do an LP or something to show IMTS off because I liked it a lot

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Shakugan posted:

So I'm in the mood for a good sci-fi RPG. It's really quite disappointing how rare sci-fi settings are compared to fantasy settings.

I've finished (I'm sure I'm going to forget a bunch):
Xenogears
Xenosaga games
Xenoblade
Anachronox
Deus Ex
KOTOR games
Mass Effect
Star Ocean games
Final Fantasy games

Are there any good sci-fi RPGs that I'm missing?
Skies of Arcadia Legends.

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp

corn in the bible posted:

that game is really great. the developer also made a Mystery Dungeon which is a hell of a thing to make in rpg maker https://www.rpgmaker.net/games/4395/

i keep meaning to do an LP or something to show IMTS off because I liked it a lot

Oh cool, I'll have to check that out. It's been a long time since I played IMTS but I remember finding the writing/plot/theme impressive for an indie guy. The developer is probably good people.

edit: I'm already hooked on the background menu music as I do other things. I'm simultaneously thanking and blaming you for the time I know I'll invest in this game. :)

Punch Card fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Dec 27, 2014

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

mycot posted:

Is Yume Nikki a proto-walking simulator? I never thought about it that way, but now that you mentioned it...huh.

Pretty much, but with all narration, dialogue, and direction replaced by :catdrugs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5_K4axvtdk
:dance:

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Just from the top of that list, I know Star Stealing Prince and Sunset of Imdahl are both pretty good RPGMaker games. SSP can be a bit bullshit at points though. Like mentioned, some of them aren't really RPGs, so to speak. At least not the typical idea of them. .flow is a Yume Nikki clone. Ib is more a horror sort of game. Maybe kind of sort of like Corpse Party, with less pedobait stuff (at least from what I saw of it).

I was super excited for corpse party before it came out, that game turned out to be such a let down. I need to play lisa more and finish it, so far, for ten bucks, it is pretty good.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

dis astranagant posted:

This was the first dungeon. I didn't play the second.
I definitely don't remember that. The bats in the first dungeon died in like one or two rounds of combat. They had pretty high evasion rates, sure, but they all died in one hit and came in packs of one or two at most.

The combat in the first dungeon is kind of boring, sure, but it doesn't take that long, and the combat for the first two hours or so of Suikoden II is Jowy and the protag doing the Best Friends Attack.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I had a couple dodgetank me for 5 minutes each, the hit alt+f4

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Uhh... huh. I've played the game twice and never had that happen.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Nihilarian posted:

Skies of Arcadia Legends.

Now, that's a great but very expensive prospect.

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp
Guy got frustrated at a random number generator that interrupted his need of "hit button to progess game" there's pretty much nothing beyond that.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Punch Card posted:

Guy got frustrated at a random number generator that interrupted his need of "hit button to progess game" there's pretty much nothing beyond that.
Yeah, I can see it happening, I guess, but if it happened then he must have the worst luck in the world. The bat's evasion rate seems to be like, 5-10%.

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp

Endorph posted:

Yeah, I can see it happening, I guess, but if it happened then he must have the worst luck in the world. The bat's evasion rate seems to be like, 5-10%.

I think it's just him. (sorry dude!)

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

That sounds like something went wrong with the RNG to me, really.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

MockingQuantum posted:

Exit Fate's claim to fame is that it's a shameless Suikoden knockoff, except unlike Suikoden there's no major permanently missable content. Some of the art assets are likely to seem awfully familiar to you, and for a game with so many characters the way the equipment system works sure does encourage sticking with a single party to a frustrating degree, but aside from that it's very playable and compares pretty well to a lot of commercial RPGs of the SNES/PS1 era.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROKcr2OTgws

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5JnlNtx_mM

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Tendales posted:

Space Funeral would be an excellent game to finish an RPGMaker game binge, since its whole aesthetic is a direct response to the pretty-but-samey nature of all the RM games out there.

Space Funeral is by far the best RPG Maker game. It's probably the only freeware RPG Maker game I've played that I wished was long enough to be a full game.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjKD77dwyQY

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVOFibwVMw0

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gaMKbv-xHU

worst animation, best music

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
What's wrong with the animation? I like it for how fluid it is, which is really noticeable compared to the anime series version.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tae posted:

What's wrong with the animation? I like it for how fluid it is, which is really noticeable compared to the anime series version.
worst animation was exaggerating but anise's random flailing at the monsters looks really bad and asch vs luke fight has some pretty amazing luke faces

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=923fVDDwaHo&t=58s

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I'm double fisting RPGs over my holiday break! In part because my wife's home too and wants the ps3, and in part because I mentioned Phantasy Star earlier, and got an itch to play IV again. I never actually finished it when I was younger, so I figure it's time. No idea how far I actually got, so I'm excited to see this game in its entirety.

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp

corn in the bible posted:

Okay yeah, The Drop is like distilled weirdness in dungeon crawler form with a chill soundtrack in the background. It's hard to explain, but it's easy for me to slip into this game's groove, regardless of how well I know what I'm doing so far.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Shakugan posted:

So I'm in the mood for a good sci-fi RPG. It's really quite disappointing how rare sci-fi settings are compared to fantasy settings.

I've finished (I'm sure I'm going to forget a bunch):
Xenogears
Xenosaga games
Xenoblade
Anachronox
Deus Ex
KOTOR games
Mass Effect
Star Ocean games
Final Fantasy games

Are there any good sci-fi RPGs that I'm missing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhWmboM0zFc

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
Oh god, I just got Jr.'s Lara Croft swimsuit. If only they used this model in cutscenes :allears:

chaos's sports bra is also pretty good. I appreciate the legit good puzzle dungeon they make you go through to get it, (reminds me of Neam Ruins from SH:C) and the fact that it's apparently inside the Ark of the Covenant or some mystic sarcophagus is gold. What i want to know is, why doesn't the party call him out on keeping his swimwear inside some mysterious ancient temple in a spatial anomaly?

Gamma Nerd fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Dec 27, 2014

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

BloodWulfe posted:

It's not, really, and I put a ton of hours into it because I wanted it to be good. It's slow and plodding and grindy and most of the depth is just an illusion.

As a counterpoint, Infinite Space is real good. If you play rpgs just for the mechanics then it probably is a bit lacking. There are a few strategies that will pretty much always win once you understand the combat system. The story, on the other hand, is surprisingly good. So if you play rpgs for character and story it's well worth it. I also didn't find it to be particularly grindy unless you're trying to unlock all the bonus stuff, which you don't really have to to beat the game. There's not even any optional bonus bosses or anything you'd need the super equipment for. It's too bad it never got a sequel because if they used feedback from the first game to make some tweaks to their systems it could have been a really fantastic franchise.

I think anyone who considers themselves an rpg fan should at least give it a try, especially if you're into them for the unique and crazy stories.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

I concur that infinite space story is pretty out there, even for a video game. Also there is branching choices and they do have an impact later in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
:agreed: Infinite Space is my favorite nintendo ds game. If you got a mood for a space opera and let it take you in you will be rewarded.