Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!
I would like to vote for

1.The Irregular at Magic High School
2.Cross Angel
3.Rail Wars!
4.Wizard Barristers
5.Persona 4 Golden

but the only I made it to 3 eps on was Irregular at MHS and Persona I guess that means that I can't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

The first season of Korra started out cool because I'm a sucker for "fantasy world, but with technological advances" settings. It actually brought up a pretty cool and interesting question about the setting, "aren't nonbenders basically just second class citizens and intrinsically inferior humans, and isn't that kind of hosed up?" but then failed to ever address that question in any meaningful way ever, and the whole thing got resolved with "well Amon is kind of a loving lunatic so who cares about nonbenders I guess"

Every season after did the same thing, with a less interesting ~sympathetic antagonist ideology~ each time, and with a less effective villain each time. It's kind of a stupid show.

When the fight scenes are well done it looks cool though

I'm fairly certain that (according to the creators) a lot of it came down to Nick mandating certain things for the show, like they can't "kill" anyone directly, no season ending cliffhangers, pulling the budget at the last minute, and then finally "gently caress you, we're not airing the show anymore, burn it all off online".

You can see from some of the episodes that there was a lot of talent working on the show. The Avatar Wan episodes were amazing, the new art style looked great, and it told a better Avatar cycle in one hour then Korra did in 52 episodes. Some of the fight scenes were amazing, but given the budget issues that probably restricted them severely on how many we saw.

You want anime/otaku rage, the season 1 thread was insane with people arguing back and forth speculating everything under the sun, and then when it end 1/2 of them went "Wtf? this is complete bullshit" and the other half went "It was okay, but it'll be waaay better next time" which repeated for season 2 but now the Korra/Asami fanbase started getting really creepy speculating on lesbian relationships in a kids cartoon show.

We're got a lot of similar answers for worst anime, but I'd like to suggest the most disappointing anime. Sailor Moon Crystal had so much hype behind it and less then 10 episodes in it had all died down and no one really cared about it anymore.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Lotta goons jerked off to a titty anime. Not a big surprise.

HiveCommander posted:

Some people enjoy watching mother/daughter molestation. Everyone has their kinks :shrug:

Since the original KLK thread was sent into the abyss was it really just like the NGNL thread where a certain amount of goons got really defensive about their underage sister anime and started passionately arguing that it wasn't bad? That second by second post of the molestation scene could only have come from an environment where the creepy fans were left unchallenged for way too long and eventually thought absolutely everything about the show was perfectly acceptable.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Dec 26, 2014

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

pentyne posted:

creepy speculating on lesbian relationships in a kids cartoon show.

Ah yes, creepy lesbianism. Homosexuality has no place in children's entertainment and anyone who thinks otherwise is a gross pervert. If only they speculated about heterosexual ships instead, but alas.

That speculating about lesbian relationships turned out to be canon, by the way.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Dec 26, 2014

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

WickedHate posted:

Ah yes, creepy lesbianism. Homosexuality has no place in children's entertainment and anyone who thinks otherwise is a gross pervert. If only they speculated about heterosexual ships instead, but alas.

That speculating about lesbian relationships turned out to be canon, by the way.

I didn't say characters being lesbians was creepy, the people posting in the thread made it creepy.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

pentyne posted:

I'm fairly certain that (according to the creators) a lot of it came down to Nick mandating certain things for the show, like they can't "kill" anyone directly, no season ending cliffhangers, pulling the budget at the last minute, and then finally "gently caress you, we're not airing the show anymore, burn it all off online".

You can see from some of the episodes that there was a lot of talent working on the show. The Avatar Wan episodes were amazing, the new art style looked great, and it told a better Avatar cycle in one hour then Korra did in 52 episodes. Some of the fight scenes were amazing, but given the budget issues that probably restricted them severely on how many we saw.

I dunno man, I don't see how budget cuts and "you can't show anyone dying onscreen" prevented them from ever addressing the question about nonbenders that the show itself raised

I mean I'd love to not sound like I'm a crazy person who only cares about the philosophical questions in kids cartoons, but like the whole rest of the show was such a self-evident mess that there's almost not much to say about it. It had people working on it that could potentially put out a high quality product, and who manged to keep me interested in it just enough to want to keep watching, but ultimately what came out was kind of bad.

Like not bad in the sense that I hated it but bad in the sense that like, I can't really come up with anything good or interesting about the show at all? After season 1 there was approximately no point at which I wouldn't have described what was currently going on in the plot as "pretty stupid"

I think the whole KorraxAsami thing would have been less dumb if they at any point showed romantic attraction between them. The way they graduated from "close friends" to "lets hold hands and walk off on a vacation together because i care about you so much" was kind of strange, since it didn't really feel like there was much build up to it at all. Maybe there was and I ignored it because the character interactions in that show were all kind of bad and felt sort of pointless.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

I think the whole KorraxAsami thing would have been less dumb if they at any point showed romantic attraction between them. The way they graduated from "close friends" to "lets hold hands and walk off on a vacation together because i care about you so much" was kind of strange, since it didn't really feel like there was much build up to it at all. Maybe there was and I ignored it because the character interactions in that show were all kind of bad and felt sort of pointless.

If you believe the Korra thread, it was all there since day one.

I'm suddenly seeing Rail Wars! pop up a lot. I saw a few episodes here and there, but for the most part it looked like a massive ad for Japan's railways mixed with a bit of romantic hijinks. It seemed fairly interesting given how much detail they went into about the trains at first.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
1. Samurai Flamenco. Had a REALLY good start, then went to poo poo after the end of the first major story-arc.

2. Argevollen. Unlikable characters, dumb story and schizophrenic setting.

3. Sakura Trick. Expected: "Lesbians!" in an ironic, funny, non-pandering way. Got: "Lesbians!" in a non-ironic, unfunny, 100% pandering way.

4. Sailor Moon Crystal. Weird art style, iffy animation (along with 3DCG morphing sequences in stark contrast with 2D everything else), boring.

5. Sword Art Online S2. Stretched what should have been a 5-6 (at most) episode arc into twelve full episodes. Fanservice and pandering.

Of the above, Samurai Flamenco was the only one I didn't drop partway.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

pentyne posted:

I didn't say characters being lesbians was creepy, the people posting in the thread made it creepy.

I don't watch the show but I saw that tumblr post by the Korra co-creator and he was definitely approaching it from a weird angle.

I mean hell he bragged a lot about being the first to ship two characters together and he basically talked like a person writing fanfiction.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

pentyne posted:

Since the original KLK thread was sent into the abyss was it really just like the NGNL thread where a certain amount of goons got really defensive about their underage sister anime and started passionately arguing that it wasn't bad? That second by second post of the molestation scene could only have come from an environment where the creepy fans were left unchallenged for way too long and eventually thought absolutely everything about the show was perfectly acceptable.

Zorak himself put a moratorium on complaining about the fanservice, presumably because he thought it would turn out to be a well written show in the end. Without that I think it would have been much more of a mock thread. I'm not familiar with what happened with the NGNL thread, but that one got gassed real early

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

pentyne posted:

I'm suddenly seeing Rail Wars! pop up a lot. I saw a few episodes here and there, but for the most part it looked like a massive ad for Japan's railways mixed with a bit of romantic hijinks. It seemed fairly interesting given how much detail they went into about the trains at first.

"seemed" is the keyword.

EDIT: I mean we're talking about a country that has this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7kor5nHtZQ
Surely it has a lot to loving say about the railway system. Throw some train facts, amusing anecdotes, add some anime wackiness if you so must, make it a bit unhinged and serve. Either make it Trapeze only with trains instead of mental health, or go full anime and do "multi-track drifting fite da powa!". This just became a cookie-cutter fanservice show with a train theme. And they can't even maintain that.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Dec 27, 2014

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I liked No Game No Life. I thought it was quite funny, and I'm not one to be annoyed by fanservice as long as they keep up the jokes. Rail Wars however, did not keep up the jokes with the fanservice. A good bad show keeps the bad entertaining, a bad show just has fanservice with embarrassment.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

pentyne posted:

It was more people going in and saying 'hey the designs in this are creepy and weird' and everyone else shouting them down saying YEAH WE ALREADY KNOW IT'S WEIRD AND THE DESIGNS SUCK BUT WE LIKE THE SHOW IF YOU DON'T HAVE ANYTHING POSITIVE TO SAY DON'T SAY ANYTHING, and then Zorak probating whoever said it was creepy and weird.

The show was trash, it was the only bad anime I watched more than one episode of this year because goons kept pumping it up. Kill La KIll sucked basically.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
It is pretty useless to go and post about how skimpy these skimpy costumes are. It was part of the show's point, and it had a really great reasons for running with that kind of thing if you got the messages and themes it was going for.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

An entire thread full of complaining about how dumb the skankyass outfits were wouldn't have been too fun to read, so I can understand the reasoning behind that rule

People did get really uptight about it to a weird degree though. There's probably a way to achieve an ongoing discussion of that kind of show that isn't always all about how sexist it is, or having sexismchat totally forbidden, but I don't know what it is

Though I must say WickedHate, if the skimpy outfits are part of the message of the show, wouldn't that be a pretty good reason to allow talking about how skimpy the outfits are? Why would people be forbidden about talking about an aspect of the show that is important to the message and theme of the show, specifically with regards to whether or not that's a good message/if the way that message is being put across is awful or not?

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Dec 27, 2014

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
It's not even sexist and labeling it that way just because the costumes show skin is ridiculous. That and the gazy parts are intentional and it's not for fanservice. It's almost satire. Getting mad at it for being "sexist" is like getting mad at Life of Brian for being "blasphemous".

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

WickedHate posted:

It's not even sexist and labeling it that way just because the costumes show skin is ridiculous. That and the gazy parts are intentional and it's not for fanservice. It's almost satire. Getting mad at it for being "sexist" is like getting mad at Life of Brian for being "blasphemous".

:laffo:

e: Kill la Kill is truly the Gulliver's Travels of our time.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Lets just say that if a message can't be sent without liberal use of nearly-naked-women, you might not have much of a leg to stand on when defending it

I mean it's all fine and good that they tied the fanservice into an actual theme within the show, but that doesn't stop it from being fanservice dude.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Genocyber posted:

:laffo:

e: Kill la Kill is truly the Gulliver's Travels of our time.
It is, unironically, one of the best works of fiction in human history, and I'm not exaggerating at all. I can understand finding it unappealing or being repulsed by some elements of it, but shallow dismissal just sucks.

ninjewtsu posted:

I mean it's all fine and good that they tied the fanservice into an actual theme within the show, but that doesn't stop it from being fanservice dude.

Fanservice and the way anime uses it is what it's commenting on, though.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
Omg wickedhate stop. You're making the anime forum look bad

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

WickedHate posted:

It is, unironically, one of the best works of fiction in human history, and I'm not exaggerating at all. I can understand finding it unappealing or being repulsed by some elements of it, but shallow dismissal just sucks.

ahahahahaha

I'd assume you're a gimmick but considering the Mahouka thread I doubt that.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Come back to Earth WickedHate, there are presumably people who care about you.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

WickedHate posted:

Fanservice and the way anime uses it is what it's commenting on, though.

Ok but at the end of the day it is still a show stuffed full of nude women with camera shots accentuating how sexy they are. Just because the fanservice has a message doesn't make it not fanservice, and it's still pretty clear that the fanservice is there for the, uh, enjoyment of a male audience (even if that enjoyment, itself, is being used ot send a message, that doesn't stop that these skimpy women are being put there for dudes to jerk off to dude)

Like I watched the show and found the exaggerated fanservice funny and more or less enjoyed the show (it was not the best show, to be honest), but come on man. You can't seriously be trying to tell me that it's excused from being called out on the naked chicks just because it's ~using them to send a message~

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

WickedHate posted:

I'm going to be helpful instead of making a joke here, and say that you should start backing all this stuff up with something of substance. You're talking about how people aren't getting the messages or themes but I have no idea what you took away from the show since you're not going into any detail!

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I've wondered since the Mahouka thread, but this has removed all doubt: WickedHate is a fakeposter.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
He's trolling you. I'm very smart and skilled at watching anime and I can tell you that what he said is empirically false

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah I remember there being a message about not being afraid to show yourself to people and the skimpy outfits tied into that in a very literal way, but uh, I don't really remember a commentary on fanservice itself. Care to explain, WickedHate? It's been a while since I've seen the show so I will give you the benefit of the doubt here, and assume that there was, indeed, some kind of commentary on the use of bouncing boobs and skimpy outfits in anime

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

WickedHate posted:

It is a terrible derivative piece of fiction built around sexualizing underage characters. Its entire plot was built up so that they could make more underage character naked for fanservice. Its entire way of making a villain villainous is built around going 'oh look at this sexualization, isn't this terrible' when it had been doing the exact same thing for the entire length of the show.

It wanted to be Gurren Lagann again, to capture a spark of 'awesome!' and get a huge fandom and a ton of success, instead it had an overused soundtrack, terrible action for all but like two fights, and all kinds of other problems, including reusing the same plot arc like five times, and making basically the same episode multiple times.

The story was not built to be a satire of fanservice, including a single line in the first episode where she goes 'WAIT I HAVE TO WEAR THIS!?' does not make it a self aware parody, it makes it self aware that it's creepy and then continues to do it anyways. Continually.

It's terrible poo poo that creepy people like to pretend is intelligent and making fun of itself, because that means it's okay that they liked it. Edit: And really, it's fine if you enjoyed it 'despite' its creepy stuff, you can like bad animation and overused soundtracks, but going 'no that stuff is actually good' does in fact make you creepy.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9Wlh98dcSA

Kill La Kill led to this, so it can't be all bad

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Srice posted:

I'm going to be helpful instead of making a joke here, and say that you should start backing all this stuff up with something of substance. You're talking about how people aren't getting the messages or themes but I have no idea what you took away from the show since you're not going into any detail!

ninjewtsu posted:

Ok but at the end of the day it is still a show stuffed full of nude women with camera shots accentuating how sexy they are. Just because the fanservice has a message doesn't make it not fanservice, and it's still pretty clear that the fanservice is there for the, uh, enjoyment of a male audience (even if that enjoyment, itself, is being used ot send a message, that doesn't stop that these skimpy women are being put there for dudes to jerk off to dude)

Like I watched the show and found the exaggerated fanservice funny and more or less enjoyed the show (it was not the best show, to be honest), but come on man. You can't seriously be trying to tell me that it's excused from being called out on the naked chicks just because it's ~using them to send a message~

It's taking the idea that these shots are there for people to masturbate over and mocking it. That kind of audience is put in the role of Mataro, his dad, and Guts when they each crash because they see Ryuko's underwear. It puts them in a pathetic situation and causes them physical pain and failure. Same as the creeps who gawk over Omiko when she's beaten. Not to mention all the naked men, who are even more or just as nude as the girls.

ninjewtsu posted:

Yeah I remember there being a message about not being afraid to show yourself to people and the skimpy outfits tied into that in a very literal way, but uh, I don't really remember a commentary on fanservice itself.

They did not have any of the characters stop and say "Fansevrice is bad" like those things which were literally plot points, no.

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

I've wondered since the Mahouka thread, but this has removed all doubt: WickedHate is a fakeposter.

I was convinced it was bad after awhile. The first few episodes were more appealing then they should have been, but Mahouka is terrible and deserves the title worst anime of 2014. Or the past decade.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Dec 27, 2014

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

WickedHate posted:

It's taking the idea that these shots are there for people to masturbate over and mocking it. That kind of audience is put in the role of Mataro, his dad, and Guts when they each crash because they see Ryuko's underwear. It puts them in a pathetic situation and causes them physical pain and failure. Same as the creeps who gawk over Omiko when she's beaten. Not to mention all the naked men, who are even more or just as nude as the girls.

So what you're saying is fanservice is okay, as long as the perverted characters are portrayed as stupid perverts to make fun of perverted people. So this mean fanservice is okay in 90% of anime, because almost every anime with any kind of fanservice has a character that continually gets made fun of or hurt while being perverted.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
This has turned into the new Kill la Kill thread, and I'm OK with that.

Kill la Kill was awesome despite it's numerous flaws. :colbert:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

KittyEmpress posted:

So what you're saying is fanservice is okay, as long as the perverted characters are portrayed as stupid perverts to make fun of perverted people. So this mean fanservice is okay in 90% of anime, because almost every anime with any kind of fanservice has a character that continually gets made fun of or hurt while being perverted.

Nearly every instance of "fanservice" is clearly meant to be played as comedy and not be taken seriously. It's like a sort of sexual humor and I guess theoretically people can get off to that too but that's not the point any more then it's the point of balloons when someone gets off over them.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Level Slide posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9Wlh98dcSA

Kill La Kill led to this, so it can't be all bad

I see that and raise you this:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ElprfDjqR2g

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

KlK being so prominent in both lists is literally the most expected thing. It's maybe the most divisive show I've ever seen talked about here.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I mean yeah it's not saying "being a peeping tom is awesome" but I think much past that is a bit of a stretch. No emphasis is given on that at all, those are comic relief moments and unimportant comic relief characters. Furthermore, you don't have to actually show Ryuko's underwear to convey those same scenes. It's a pretty thin excuse to just give a reason for Ryuko's underwear to be on screen. Even if they are mocking the audience (I really don't think mataro and dad and guts were supposed to be audience surrogates), they're still giving the "audience" what it wants, unnecessarily. Why is it important that Ryuko's underwear is shown in those scenes? Daily Lives of Highschool Boys did a segment mocking people who are really into upskirts, but they didn't actually have a shot poking up a girl's skirt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJn6rvYfIBs

EDIT:

WickedHate posted:

Nearly every instance of "fanservice" is clearly meant to be played as comedy and not be taken seriously. It's like a sort of sexual humor and I guess theoretically people can get off to that too but that's not the point any more then it's the point of balloons when someone gets off over them.

I don't think you realize that "it's not meant to be taken seriously" mostly just works for "don't take any message out of this seriously, just enjoy what you see" i.e. panties.

I also don't think you realize that most ecchi harem shows are comedies, and those are most certainly there for wanking to man

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
Wait does the badly drawn sonic guy actually think kill LA kill is important

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I hereby petition for WickedHate to watch Girls Bravo and to explain to the thread why getting off to it is no more the point for the show than getting off to balloons

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

KittyEmpress posted:

It was more people going in and saying 'hey the designs in this are creepy and weird' and everyone else shouting them down saying YEAH WE ALREADY KNOW IT'S WEIRD AND THE DESIGNS SUCK BUT WE LIKE THE SHOW IF YOU DON'T HAVE ANYTHING POSITIVE TO SAY DON'T SAY ANYTHING, and then Zorak probating whoever said it was creepy and weird.

The show was trash, it was the only bad anime I watched more than one episode of this year because goons kept pumping it up. Kill La KIll sucked basically.
If I recall, a lot of the thread was also people defending the show by saying it was all an allegory for accepting your body or something. Totes not wank material, of course.

This is coming from someone who didn't hate the show.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

ninjewtsu posted:

Why is it important that Ryuko's underwear is shown in those scenes? Daily Lives of Highschool Boys did a segment mocking people who are really into upskirts, but they didn't actually have a shot poking up a girl's skirt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJn6rvYfIBs

I get what you're saying here, but that show is a lot less cartoony.

ninjewtsu posted:

I also don't think you realize that most ecchi harem shows are comedies, and those are most certainly there for wanking to man

There's a difference between being a comedy with fanservice and a comedy that happens to have sexual humor. It's like calling Fritz the Cat porn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
Stop trolling bro

• Locked thread