Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
So, binge watching the series again over Christmas break, and I realized that Kuvira shows up a helluva lot in Season 3. She shows up in every major scene in Zhou Fu. She even has more than a few speaking lines before her big name drop...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So I've been watching this and just finished the 2nd season. My god that season had an anime ending. I hope the next season somehow involves the world being thrown into chaos because of Korra's poor decision to let the spirit and human world intertwine. Now the vast majority of humanity that lives in suffering and poverty can also have their negative feelings and emotions manifest as demons.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
It can be safely said there are consequences to that decision.

And if you thought that ending was anime, keep watching.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

PhazonLink posted:

In addition to a hypothetical series after Korra, they should do past Avatars(Not Aang).

Why not Aang? He and all the older characters like Toph and Zuko seemed pretty interesting, I think a series about them on their adventures pre-back-pain would be cool. There's probably a lot of material available there.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Metropolis posted:

Why not Aang? He and all the older characters like Toph and Zuko seemed pretty interesting, I think a series about them on their adventures pre-back-pain would be cool. There's probably a lot of material available there.
It would be pretty weird to see the same characters with completely new voice actors.

Of course, by the time they do the show, they could use the original ones ...

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords
Has anyone ever noticed that Tenzin's kids eyes follow the Avatar cycle in terms of color? Jinora fire brown, Ikki air grey, Meelo water blueish grey, Rohan earth greyish green. Pema must have some fire nation relatives...

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Metropolis posted:

I was making a joke how we already know his major story/stories. But yeah I guess a few more wouldn't hurt. His bad dad adventures with Tenzin could be funny.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry
Just rewatched the last episode, I still can't get over the fact that we had a cannon bisexual ending. It's too perfect.

PhazonLink posted:

I was making a joke how we already know his major story/stories. But yeah I guess a few more wouldn't hurt. His bad dad adventures with Tenzin could be funny.

Having a teenaged Tenzin being the stuffy straight man and forty year old wacky avatar dad doing awesome poo poo together would be perfect.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Plus we need to still find out what happened to Sokka, who Firelord Izumi's mom is... All sorts of things!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Watching the third season now and and this Zaheer guy owns. His face is drawn with thicker lines than other characters or something and it ends up looking really funny combined with his voice.

edit: Actually all these Red Lotus dudes own, they should become the new Team Avatar

edit2: gently caress yeah he just executed the queen

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Dec 27, 2014

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I can't stand Zaheer's voice for some reason I think it's because it doesn't suit his face at all.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Ytlaya posted:

Watching the third season now and and this Zaheer guy owns. His face is drawn with thicker lines than other characters or something and it ends up looking really funny combined with his voice.

edit: Actually all these Red Lotus dudes own, they should become the new Team Avatar

They are arguably the best villains of the series and you are currently watching the best season. Just wait till the end, I thought it was great finish to the season.

Ambivalent posted:

Plus we need to still find out what happened to Sokka, who Firelord Izumi's mom is... All sorts of things!

While I don't know if we really need a season for it, I'm still saying: that book on the lore should be made. Nerds like me eat that poo poo up.

Since they continued ATLA in comic form, does anyone know if LoK is getting the same treatment. I'm an avid reader of the former and I would definitely become an avid reader of the later.

Edit:

Eej posted:

I can't stand Zaheer's voice for some reason I think it's because it doesn't suit his face at all.

This made me look up his actor and now I do feel there is some resemblance between the two.

I'm not saying they are twins or brothers, but I do feel they share some features.

Covok fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Dec 27, 2014

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Ytlaya posted:

He also owns because he's voiced by Henry Rollins

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Just finished binge watching this since it finally finished. Better than I'd been led to believe and I'm kinda sad there's no more.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Eej posted:

That admiral guy also has a voice that doesn't suit him at all. The guy looks like he's 25 but has the voice of a 12 year old.

Kithkar
Apr 23, 2011

I'm gonna RENOVATE your ass!

Ytlaya posted:

That admiral guy also has a voice that doesn't suit him at all. The guy looks like he's 25 but has the voice of a 12 year old.

He's actually apparently like 39 and sounds like that, which is funny because it is weird but that's Dante Basco's natural voice and he's also 39.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Ytlaya posted:

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

pentyne posted:

It's been 10,000 years since the avatar cycle started, it'd be really interesting to see some of the first few, then the ones who came in after the world knew about the avatar cycle, and those who had to intervene in major world wars.

A new series that was nothing but experimental artistic styles 2-part episodes each covering a different avatar could be amazing, but it's not the kind of thing that would appeal to Nickelodeon.

Actually, a series of easily merchandized, episodic stories that can be rerun in any order would be their bag entirely.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Ugh this makes no sense, why is the entire city falling into chaos because the evil monarch was deposed? I could sort of see them making some point against anarchism if they destroyed the presumably democratically elected government in Republic City, but all they did was kill the queen and destroy the wall separating the poors from the upper classes. Is the point supposed to be that poor people are animals that cannot control themselves when not walled into ghettos?

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry

Eej posted:

He is literally Henry Rollins, in both voice and model. So...

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Ytlaya posted:

Ugh this makes no sense, why is the entire city falling into chaos because the evil monarch was deposed? I could sort of see them making some point against anarchism if they destroyed the presumably democratically elected government in Republic City, but all they did was kill the queen and destroy the wall separating the poors from the upper classes. Is the point supposed to be that poor people are animals that cannot control themselves when not walled into ghettos?

I think that, considering how much of a difference there was between the classes, the level of poverty they were forced to suffer as noblemen lavished in riches, and how badly the current Queen was in her rule, that the plebeians had grown tired of the old government and had deeply repressed desires of vengeance. With the queen dead -- as a result, the government in complete disarray especially considering she had no immediate heir --, they decided now was the time to act on their feelings: a now or never situation. After all, if they really had those feelings, now was, honestly, the best time to act on them if they were going to act on them.

Also, when they rescue the airbenders earlier, I love Bumi interrupting and going "technically, that is one of her rights as Monarch...I mean, I'm just saying she isn't technically doing anything illegal or out-of-line." Bringing that up because I got reminded of it.

q_k
Dec 31, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

I think the Earth Nation was already falling apart at the seams.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

TheModernAmerican posted:

He is literally Henry Rollins, in both voice and model. So...

It just occured to me I did not even know what his speaking voice sounded like.

Ytlaya posted:

General Iroh has the same voice as his grandfather Zuko in ATLA, which is just Weird As Heck.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Covok posted:

I think that, considering how much of a difference there was between the classes, the level of poverty they were forced to suffer as noblemen lavished in riches, and how badly the current Queen was in her rule, that the plebeians had grown tired of the old government and had deeply repressed desires of vengeance. With the queen dead -- as a result, the government in complete disarray especially considering she had no immediate heir --, they decided now was the time to act on their feelings: a now or never situation. After all, if they really had those feelings, now was, honestly, the best time to act on them if they were going to act on them.

That makes sense, though I kind of have trouble seeing it as a bad thing. It seemed like the show was trying to make the point that what Zaheer did was wrong because it caused the revolts/etc that occurred afterwards, rather than him just hastening the inevitable.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Ytlaya posted:

That makes sense, though I kind of have trouble seeing it as a bad thing. It seemed like the show was trying to make the point that what Zaheer did was wrong because it caused the revolts/etc that occurred afterwards, rather than him just hastening the inevitable.

Assassinating an acting head of state is kinda almost always a bad thing unless she is like killing her own citizen's(which she wasn't) or provoking war with another country(she wasn't), or using a super powered comet to wipe out all of an entire kingdom.

Income inequalities suck, but not worth killing them over(otherwise this country(:911:) would be fuuuucked).

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Eej posted:

It just occured to me I did not even know what his speaking voice sounded like.
He's come a long way since the days of Mad Stan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFpE_iNtWAo

Covok
May 27, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

I never said it "just" or that Zaheer was "right," I was saying that income inequality was why the people began rioting: they were mad and they say this as their chance to loot the palace and be rich. The show was trying to paint both sides as bad: the monarchy for being abusive, exploitative, and supporting inequality and Zaheer for being an anarchist, militant, and causing chaos and something I can't say without spoiling poo poo. The show's writer have a preference for liberal, democratic government so that's really what they try to push in the show though they do at times point how slow and inefficient democracy can be at times.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
Is "if you assassinate the head of a failing empire in the name of revolution, things are probably going to get worse before they get better" remotely controversial? It's not about poor people being animals or whatever, it's about how violent transitions and collapse of social order in an already unstable nation full of very unhappy people is going to make a lot of bad stuff happen.

Either way, in this world, it seems pretty obvious that without the assassination the plot's natural course would have been "fully realized Avatar strongarms the Earth Monarch into enacting popular reforms....again." Which might not have gotten rid of enough of the bad old order, but wouldn't have made such a violent crash either.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

achillesforever6 posted:

He's come a long way since the days of Mad Stan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFpE_iNtWAo

Be careful Korra! Once he's on a rant he's unstoppable!

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Dec 27, 2014

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

Mymla posted:

Sokka was by far the worst thing about ATLA. He and Aang annoyed the hell out of me for most of season 1. Aang at least got better later on, but Sokka only ever got tolerable at best.

I felt the opposite. I thought Aang got worse and Sokka got better.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Hauldren Collider posted:

I felt the opposite. I thought Aang got worse and Sokka got better.

I tend to agree, although that's at least partly because the show stopped in the middle of Aang's developmental arc.

With Aang, you start with a mix of child-like impetuousness and mystic wisdom; a twelve year old saddled with all the cares of the world. As the show went on and he matured, there were fewer outbursts of childishness and more stoicism and measured self-control, which unfortunately mostly made him both less interesting for the audience to watch and made his occasional flights of fancy less tolerable; we stopped right in the middle of his awkward teenage boy phase, which is when boys are just the loving worst. If the show had kept following him through to adulthood, I think it's clear he would have ended up a more even handed mix of his old personality traits, turning into a kind of goofy zen father figure; like Iroh, minus the melancholy and tea obsession.

With Sokka, you got to watch him mostly transition out of his awkward teenage boy phase into a mostly together dude.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Dec 27, 2014

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Ytlaya posted:

Zaheer caused a quick change to a pretty terrible ruling system and purposefully did not try to introduce another ruling system to take place. If the ruling system had been stable it would of never of collapse just due to the assassination of its leader and a some rioting in the capital city.

If the the revolution had been planned by a group inside the earth kingdom, (peasant rebellion, Military coup whatever) there would of been another system of goverment that would be trying to put itself in place immediately after that could of possibly brought about some stability. You would still likely get at least a short civil war happen as what ever remnants of the former ruling party and the new group fight it out. Often if the former ruling party collapses straight away you will still have individuals from it with access to a lot of its resources (still loyal soldiers/private militia, weapons, money, food) but independent from it who will try to protect their individual region, and also you might get other groups as well. Like religious groups, and minority groups that see a chance to gain some independence, or just larger political groups that think they might have a chance to seize power.

In short when an old goverment falls theirs going to be a lot of people who might take the chance to gain more power if a power vacuum does occur. If its a larger revolution group that takes power, that has a plan of how best to take power with a small a power vacuum as possible (a large or powerful support base and taking and being able to hold a lot of territory as soon as the revolution starts will help with this) then you will more likely get a less chaotic change of power. This is literally the opposite of what Zhaeer did, if another group had done it they could of possibly (but not certainly) avoid the power vacuum and the violence and lawlessness that came with it.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

dr_rat posted:

Zaheer caused a quick change to a pretty terrible ruling system and purposefully did not try to introduce another ruling system to take place. If the ruling system had been stable it would of never of collapse just due to the assassination of its leader and a some rioting in the capital city.

If the the revolution had been planned by a group inside the earth kingdom, (peasant rebellion, Military coup whatever) there would of been another system of goverment that would be trying to put itself in place immediately after that could of possibly brought about some stability. You would still likely get at least a short civil war happen as what ever remnants of the former ruling party and the new group fight it out. Often if the former ruling party collapses straight away you will still have individuals from it with access to a lot of its resources (still loyal soldiers/private militia, weapons, money, food) but independent from it who will try to protect their individual region, and also you might get other groups as well. Like religious groups, and minority groups that see a chance to gain some independence, or just larger political groups that think they might have a chance to seize power.

In short when an old goverment falls theirs going to be a lot of people who might take the chance to gain more power if a power vacuum does occur. If its a larger revolution group that takes power, that has a plan of how best to take power with a small a power vacuum as possible (a large or powerful support base and taking and being able to hold a lot of territory as soon as the revolution starts will help with this) then you will more likely get a less chaotic change of power. This is literally the opposite of what Zhaeer did, if another group had done it they could of possibly (but not certainly) avoid the power vacuum and the violence and lawlessness that came with it.

This is a good explanation, though I still find what Zaheer did more neutral than bad; the events that transpired in the show were kind of unrealistic in that the existing power structures should have been durable enough to survive the assassination of a single figure head (since the queen wasn't exactly charismatic and there didn't seem to be many "true believers").

Either way, I finished the third season and liked the ending. It was a kind of unorthodox move to have such a more or less depressing ending to a season of a children's show. This season also had some pretty great fight scenes and I think is also the first one where they had people visibly get killed (Zaheer's suffocation thing and that time the laser explosion woman blew up her own head stand out).

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie
I thought the last season was pretty meh overall. Honestly, the only ones that were actually any good were the first and third seasons because It told the story of a fantasy magical kung fu world the best. Decent action and interesting events like the bending sport. Then we get into the second season all about the spirits and I didn't understand it. There was a bad guy that wasn't a bad guy and spirits that just happened to start appearing and some spirit powers that never get used again. It was just a strange season to explain the origin of the avatar in the worst way possible. And in season 4 we have a dictator that the earth kingdom follows for some reason? I never understood how she was able to amass the amount of troops she did. She always emitted the "I don't know she seems kinda crazy" vibe. Second the giant robot fight was retarded. A giant, slow moving, easily off balance robot is your ultimate weapon? Get loving real. They way the show had to break the laws of physics just for that thing to look like it would actually stand a chance against several ton earth boulders being chucked at it was silly. The strategies used to take down the robot were silly. The giant arm cannon was retarded. Here is how you win against a giant robot, earth benders. Dig a loving hole on one side to make it off balance, push it over with a bunch of rocks thrown at it. When it falls, I don't care how dense the metal is outside, something is going to come loose on the inside. That's because its a big bulky loving robot that doesn't fly around or some hyper fast balancing anime poo poo. ALSO the loving pilot is just standing around in a big opens space on the inside not strapped into a drat thing. SHE IS GONNA GET hosed UP if that thing falls. I'm sure I could poke more holes in whatever this season was trying to do but its just a cartoon.

Third the ending, cool you guys made a character that was in a relationship with a guy and another character that was in a relationship with the same dude fall in love because that's edgy or something. Was there literally no other person in Sami's life after Mako? Anyways I feel bad for Mako, dude turns girls bi.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
The Red Lotus and the members of White Lotus from the first series were the coolest guys

Flat Banana
Jun 7, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

This is a good explanation, though I still find what Zaheer did more neutral than bad; the events that transpired in the show were kind of unrealistic in that the existing power structures should have been durable enough to survive the assassination of a single figure head (since the queen wasn't exactly charismatic and there didn't seem to be many "true believers").

I would at least beg to differ on this one. An old politics lecturer of mine entertained a "theory of big hats" for dictators and authoritarian leaders although it is by no means scientific. While it's true that there will always be a power apparatus flowing from a central figure or committee in an authoritarian state, the "theory of big hats" logic is that the bigger and more ridiculous a hat (or a cape) is worn by the central leader, the more centralised and pivotal that figure is (and therefore, most vulnerable to fall). With a more distributed (and therefore robust) power structure, secondary leaders are more able check the poor "vanity" ideas of the central leader. To me, this is applicable since we see the queen making very excessive demands of her government for extremely self-indulgent reasons, and therefore we can infer that the power structure that survives the assassination of the queen is not very robust. We also get hints of this in Book 4 as many of the provinces seem needing "unification" from Kuvira. This also implies that there wasn't enough of a power structure to guarantee the coherence of the Earth Nation.

In any case, two cents about Korrasami: i'm not particularly against it or for it, just get over it and talk about other many wonderful and/or annoying things in LOK.

Covok
May 27, 2013

In regards to the structure of the Earth Kingdom before the fall, it's worth noting that the kingdom was incapable of protecting some of its provinces from bandits. There was basically lawlessness in some provinces. Comparatively, the Queen and her city were very lavish and comfortable. This suggests that the poor leadership of the Earth Queen also included consolidating resources in the capital meaning that the overall structure of the Kingdom was probably very weak.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Considering what other Avatars have done, Korra probably wouldn't have been out of line to go all glowy-eyed and wreck the Queen's poo poo when she threatened war upon the Avatar.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

VanSandman posted:

Considering what other Avatars have done, Korra probably wouldn't have been out of line to go all glowy-eyed and wreck the Queen's poo poo when she threatened war upon the Avatar.

Yeah, but a lot of what LoK tried to do was to explore the role of the Avatar in the new modern world. I'm guessing that the Avatar going ape poo poo against a Queen would have resulted in condemnation of her acts by Republic City's government.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steensma
Nov 2, 2014

Mako and Bolin's grandma was a 'true believer,' and the fact that the show presents even one means there are probably many others in full support of the queen.

• Locked thread