Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Tarquinn posted:

Okay, what's the story behind the red astromech droid the Jawas want to sell to the Skywalkers, but that explodes before the deal? What amazing adventures; which crime syndicate die it bust before Episode IV?

None. Wasn't in the prequels nor clone wars. Anything else is tall tales told around the campfire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Harime Nui posted:

Padme says ppl are dying in the senate or w/e, and it's not b/c the battledroids are just shooting random Naboos... I ain't seen the movie in 10 yrs gimme a break

Padme's pretty much the same Kuwaiti girl who saw "Republican Guard soldiers throwing infants out of incubators" who not only turned out to have never been in Kuwait for years but was also a member of the Kuwaiti Royal Family.

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Dec 27, 2014

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Harime Nui posted:

Padme says ppl are dying in the senate or w/e, and it's not b/c the battledroids are just shooting random Naboos... I ain't seen the movie in 10 yrs gimme a break

They say that but they don't show it. Naboo always looks fine in the movie.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
My point is though, just like cities in the Roman provinces required a constant influx of goods to sustain the existence essentially of a few political families, their servants, retainers and court staff, planets like Naboo obviously have no purpose beyond maintaning a few important political families.... the infrastructure is hilariously simplistic; capturing one palace in one city means you now own the planet, and that whole city seems to run off one bigass power plant right under the palace. What we see in Ep II is essentially a big disney village for Padme to fart around in. Note the sheer size of the estate that is basically her Summer vila (another Roman practice, they'd run out to their country homes every Summer when the city got too stanky). I wouldn't be shocked if, like Victorian England, about a third of Naboo's population were some kind of domestic staff (this includes its entire military). There's probably no significant planet-side agriculture at all because really, why bother?

I guess really what I'm saying is Sheev did nothing wrong.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Nah Lucas is just a garbo writer.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
No dammit listen to me.... The hypocritical " multiculturalism " of the republic actually exascerbated endemic problems in interspecies relations such as the cycle of space-ethnic violence btwn the mammalian wookies and reptilian trandoshans., thru policies of "hands off" diplomacy and "

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye

Tarquinn posted:

WTFY*

*WHAT
THE
gently caress
YO?
:psyduck:

That's a for reals explanation, too.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Groovelord Neato posted:

Nah Lucas is just a garbo writer.

Leave Greta Garbo out of this.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

Proposition Joe posted:

Jar Jar Binks

Non-Canon Appearances

Binks can be seen in the Officers' Club on the planet Coruscant in the video game Star Wars: Clone Wars Adventures. He has his name and the words "Gungan Style" above him. If you click on him he does the dance for the song Gangnam Style by PSY.[56]

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

"No one can outsmart a Hutt! And no one can digest a Hutt, either!"

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Harime Nui posted:

I guess really what I'm saying is Sheev did nothing wrong.

Shoulda had Tarkin blow up Naboo instead of Alderaan

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy

PostNouveau posted:

Shoulda had Tarkin blow up Naboo instead of Alderaan

If George had stopped to think about it he could have had Alderaan in the prequels instead of Naboo. Then blowing up Alderaan in Ep. IV would have an emotional impact for the viewer that was missing from the original movie.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Yeah except im p sure theyd get in trouble for blowing up their boss' planet.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Ivor Biggun posted:

If George had stopped to think about it he could have had Alderaan in the prequels instead of Naboo. Then blowing up Alderaan in Ep. IV would have an emotional impact for the viewer that was missing from the original movie.

Was just about to post this - was there any point to Naboo at all beyond some new alien designs to hawk as happy meal toys?

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Fetus Tree posted:

Yeah except im p sure theyd get in trouble for blowing up their boss' planet.

sheev dgaf

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Ivor Biggun posted:

Alderaan was in the Prequels. It was that Rocky Mountain looking planet that Baal Organ takes Queen Leah to at the end.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I'm still watching the clone wars and it's funny how many characters they use from Episode III, and not just like anakin or whatever but like the random jedi masters who get killed and cody, the clone who shoots at obi wan

it really takes a lot of tension out of the scene when you know that absolutely nothing of consequence will happen to any of the named characters, they've literally had general grievious fight anakin or obi wan half a dozen times thus far for no reason, and conversely the 4-5 times they had some random jedi or soldier show up that wasn't from a movie it's almost guaranteed he'll be dead by the end of that episode

having said that i'm starting to enjoy it despite myself, i really am everything i hate about star wars fans :negative:

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

They didn't grow any food on Naboo because Naboo wasn't the one designated Farm Planet.

Naboo was pretty hosed up for a star wars planet anyway. They had water areas AND not-water areas on the SAME PLANET.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

is lumpy canon? because he should be

His Wookieepedia entry is over 10,000 words long

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lumpawaroo

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

His Wookieepedia entry is over 10,000 words long

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lumpawaroo

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

that's like, the only good thing in the EU, and even before the canon wipe it was non-canon. loving EU.

Spandex Bonerlord
Sep 30, 2014

Does fanfiction count? I read one where Optimus Prime fucks Princess Leia with a strap-on jarjar dick.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

KiteAuraan posted:

that's like, the only good thing in the EU, and even before the canon wipe it was non-canon. loving EU.

Yub yub, commander.

I should reread those books as well as the han solo trilogy i really do enjoy them.
Also the thrawn trilogy audiobooks are legit entertaining.

The star wars radio dramas, while not really eu, are amazing as gently caress.

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy

KiteAuraan posted:

Alderaan was in the Prequels. It was that Rocky Mountain looking planet that Baal Organ takes Queen Leah to at the end.

I know, but in my head canon Naboo and Alderaan are the same planet. Just like Anakin building R2D2 instead of C3P0 because that would make more sense in the story. I mean, what the gently caress does his mother need a protocol droid with 6 million forms of communication for? Surely an astromech droid would be more use in Watto's junkyard?

[e] now a queen exploring a strange planet, that's someone who would need a protocol droid

Ivor Biggun fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Dec 27, 2014

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Probably cheaper and easier to build a protocol droid than an astromech

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Fetus Tree posted:

Probably cheaper and easier to build a protocol droid than an astromech

don't try to justify this poo poo fetus tree

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Ivor Biggun posted:

I know, but in my head canon Naboo and Alderaan are the same planet. Just like Anakin building R2D2 instead of C3P0 because that would make more sense in the story. I mean, what the gently caress does his mother need a protocol droid with 6 million forms of communication for? Surely an astromech droid would be more use in Watto's junkyard?

[e] now a queen exploring a strange planet, that's someone who would need a protocol droid

you should go ask these legitimate questions in the CD star wars thread

they will tell you that the prequels are perfect and george lucas made no mistakes

Pillow Clerk
Oct 18, 2008
SCENE: THE EMPEROR'S THRONE ROOM

Darth Vader sweeps into the trhone room, and goes on one knee before the Emperor.

DARK VADER: I have grave news, my emperor. I can't find LUke Skywalker or w.e. Also I'm gay as poo poo and can't stop sucking secret human being jedi cocks.

EMPEROR: This is … grave news indeed, Lard Vader. But all is forgiven, because I'm literally making GBS threads in my big baby poopy diaper r.n. My sphincter is wide like the Death star's exhaust port and poo poo is flowing unstoppered from my rear end like molten magma.

DARTH VADER: *breathes heavily*

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Wolfsheim posted:

don't try to justify this poo poo fetus tree

I dont actually disagree w the post i was referencing, but protocol droids are loving useless.

The eu made a belt-clipped protocol droid with a repulsor system for chewies nephew. It did all his translating. Protocol droids suck and are jerks. This is actually canon. See: e chuta

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Fetus Tree posted:

See: e chuta

How rude!

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Tarquinn posted:

WTFY*

*WHAT
THE
gently caress
YO?
:psyduck:

It's just a gag comic. It also has a great illustration of Princess Leia with actual cinnamon buns in place of her hair buns.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Pillow Clerk posted:

Darth Vader sweeps into the trhone room, and goes on one knee before the Emperor.

DARK VADER: I have grave news, my emperor. I can't find LUke Skywalker or w.e. Also I'm gay as poo poo and can't stop sucking secret human being jedi cocks.

EMPEROR: This is … grave news indeed, Lard Vader. But all is forgiven, because I'm literally making GBS threads in my big baby poopy diaper r.n. My sphincter is wide like the Death star's exhaust port and poo poo is flowing unstoppered from my rear end like molten magma.

It's U

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

Harime Nui posted:

No dammit listen to me.... The hypocritical " multiculturalism " of the republic actually exascerbated endemic problems in interspecies relations such as the cycle of space-ethnic violence btwn the mammalian wookies and reptilian trandoshans., thru policies of "hands off" diplomacy and "

i'll have you know that you're wrong and the star wars prequels are all satires

i guess star wars fans just don't like star wars if you can't figure that out :smug:

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Pillow Clerk posted:

EMPEROR: Lurd Vader, order the construction of ten more dethstards. I loving love those things.

DICKTH VADER: *farts*

The fart ignites and dethstar #22 explodes.

EMPEROR: Daarrrk siiiiiide....

The Skeleton King fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Dec 27, 2014

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

at least the second death star makes sense, you wouldn't have just one death star when you could build 10 and scare everyone in the galaxy into submission

george lucas was still lazy though and just wanted to recapture a new hope

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
knee-sabers is the clear winner but poo poo if this thread doesn't give you some ideas

that migrainey sith lord is a great seed concept for example

imagine a sith lord who succeeded yet failed at some sort of major dark side task, now is sedentary, immortal, angry, and basically eternally hung over, life to this guy is like bright lights and noises, and whoever is unlucky enough to be sent for his help has like a 75% chance of being killed just because you're bugging a guy who's having a really lovely day, forever

but then some EU writer dork is going to make it so that like, qui gon jin or some poo poo is why he failed, and is also his less evil half cousin, ruining anything interesting about the concept because it's a small universe after all!!!

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Lord of Pie posted:

They didn't grow any food on Naboo because Naboo wasn't the one designated Farm Planet.

Naboo was pretty hosed up for a star wars planet anyway. They had water areas AND not-water areas on the SAME PLANET.

But, they didn't have sand. Which is ok, because it's course and rough and irritating and gets everywhere.

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

Harime Nui posted:

*Naboobians

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

Sheev was from Naboo. He was their senator prior to Jar-Jar Binks and Padme. Naboo is super important guys, despite having no exports or military power.

• Locked thread