Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

His Divine Shadow posted:

It's a bit hard for me to say since it's the first time ever I have used a router. It doesn't feel bad to me, the bit set that came with it cut a nice roundover using that bit, it had 10 bits come with it and they look ok to my eyes too. I've had parkside stuff before and it's usually been fine given it's cost.

Cool, maybe I'll look into it. I have heard that some of the Parkside stuff is good but consumables (drillbits, cutting wheels etc) are not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

the spyder posted:

That shaft is buggered. The coloring really tells the story best though. I doubt that was done at a factory- mainly due to the damage. Do you have a piece of glass or granite you can roll it against? I'm curious if it's actually bent. You could pretty easily sleeve that and TIG weld it on/turn it down. (Well, when I say easy, what I mean is, if you have a machinist buddy close by.)

Someone guessed the coloring was someone welding and adding material and then turning it down to repair earlier damage (pretty shoddily), no glass or granite, only cast iron tops.

I've been told it's cheaper to make a new shaft from scratch than putting on a sleeve. I've ordered replacement bearings and I will goto a local workshop when I get them.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Are those the right kind of bearing for that band saw?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
They where in it when I got it, so I just ordered replacements. I don't see what else they could be honestly, they need to be self-aligning or the tilt function won't work. The slots or nooks they fit into on the shaft and housing also preclude a deeper bearing. Maybe they should/could have been self-aligning roller bearings instead of ball bearings.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Dec 20, 2014

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Just wondering since earlier repairs were made and it looks like a previous owner wasn't so good at it.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

The saw has a bit of an odd tilting system, the wheel side of the shaft doesn't move, but the rear side does, that way the shaft tilts without the whole housing itself having to move. That requires self-aligning bearings like this. The shaft looks like a pretty bad repair job, but other than that it doesn't seem like they altered the function. I am not sure, the repair might have worked well enough too, just my clumsy disassembly and reassembly on the first day that might have screwed something up...

In router table news, I am having some issues building this into my table. It seems that unless you switch to metal or something else that can be thin and sturdy for an insert plate, the bits will hardly be sticking up out of the table. I was hoping to make my own from plywood but it doesn't seem doable since I'd loose so much valuable height.

The handles on the side also stick out so much that with my table thickness it cannot fully plunge upwards. Sorta leaning towards taking the handles off and also the plunge function turning it into something more like a fixed base router. I've used it a little while now and I don't think I like it much as a hand router because of the shape of the base plate, it should be perfectly round, not this circle with cut off sides. What a bitch that made cutting out the router inlay in the table, because now it matters how you hold it when cutting one side or you'll get crooked results. With a round insert, or even a square one, it would have worked well, but not one that is round on two sides and square on two others.

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

any of you guys ever used or built a v-drum sander (Flatmaster, Sand-Flee, etc)? I'm thinking of getting one, wondering if they are worth their price! Thinking it'll be an easy way to flatten endgrain cutting boards + boxes, but I don't have a need for a thickness sander. I've been using a 6" wide belt sander but... it's a royal pain in the arse.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I think I have finally fought my way through enough sketchup to have an idea what I want for a workbench, in the end I am going to do basically a 30" x 6' version of the $20 table but with a two layer upper surface. I plan to be able to add on all the drawers and fancy crap later. . . Know I think my next objective should be to decide on a vise so that I know how much of an overhang I will need. I want an end vise, something between $150 and $20, most likely $35 unless someone says otherwise.

dobbymoodge
Mar 8, 2005

Crotch Fruit posted:

I think I have finally fought my way through enough sketchup to have an idea what I want for a workbench, in the end I am going to do basically a 30" x 6' version of the $20 table but with a two layer upper surface. I plan to be able to add on all the drawers and fancy crap later. . . Know I think my next objective should be to decide on a vise so that I know how much of an overhang I will need. I want an end vise, something between $150 and $20, most likely $35 unless someone says otherwise.

I think the gap in quality between the olympia vise and the pony vise will be negligible, and you may as well go with the cheaper option there. As far as metal jaw woodworking vises go, either the $20 vise is going to do most of what you need and you won't have to buy the Jorgenson, or the $20 vise will be near-worthless to you and you'll need the Jorgenson to do what you want to do.

I have a $20 vise, though, so you may want to get a few more data points. ;)

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.
Amazingly I'm done with my diy Christmas project and it's not christmas eve 2am. Teak and maple cutting boards. Not too fancy but decent. Also it turns out if you have a table saw, joiner, planer, router table and band saw these are really easy to make... Probably 4-6 hours for the 4 of them including the plywood template, experimentation etc. The last two took like 1.5 hours total. Though they await the arrival of the mineral oil finish.

The wood strips were straightforward. For the curves I mocked it up in MS Visio, printed it, drew it on a plywood template and roughed it out with the band saw. That worked ok but I wasn't confident the two curved sides totally matched so I chose one side and copied it twice onto both sides of a new template using the router table. That ensured that it was at least symmetrical left to right. Then I copied the full template onto the glued up boards. I left one a rectangle just to try it.

On a related note I picked up the Ryobi 9" band saw for this job. I have little experience to compare it to better ones, but for this job it was perfect and saved a ton time compared to a jig saw. Smooth and quiet with no problem cutting this 1" lumber. Everything seems reasonably solid and works nicely.

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

I made the mistake of buying a townhouse, so now I'm trying to make use of the space I have. One thing I don't have space for is a proper work bench in my garage, so I'm trying to come up with an idea for one that will fold up/down into the wall and the table top has to be resistant to gasoline/oil in case I spill.

Any suggestions on where to start? If I can find a prefab table top made of epoxy resin (like science classrooms) I could work with that, but I can't find a direct source to purchase them from.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Melamine is good for spill resistance.

Or kitchen worktop (which is usually just thick melamine after all). April WIlkerson did a decent fold down bench video you could get some ideas from : http://wilkerdos.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/diy-fold-down-workbench.html

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Made my first router table. Still having some issues, the shape of the router is giving me fits, it's not circular and it tapers off as you get to the top (or bottom, the part opposite where the bit goes) so getting it square in the clamp I made has been difficult. In retrospect I think a flat backing board, hose clamps and some suitably places pieces of wood would have been easiest. But now I went this route and goddamn have I sanded a lot in this project, wore out one of the cheapo sanding drums and 3-4 charges on my drills battery. If not for my lovely 3M 6000 mask I would probably have some kind of lung disease.

This shape would have been real good to cut out with a band saw, if only I had one (that worked). At least I got the new bearings today and I took them and the old shaft to a machinist, so sometime after new year I should have a new shaft for it.

Anyway pictures. This is the bench with a 1/2" piece of plywood laminated on top of the particle board I had earlier, then I routed down to the particle board and I'll use the same kind of plywood to make inserts.

I didn't do as good a job as I would have liked with the routing. I really should have jigged it up better, and made a circular base plate for the router. But too lazy/ too much of a hurry, this is always my downfall I've noticed. I need to learn to stop, calm down and just wait, maybe sleep on it, instead of plowing along because dammit I want this finished now.

Anyway the lift, it's roughly based on the shop notes lift that steve ramsey made. I had no plans, no point I thought because my routers wirdo shape would throw things off so much anyway. I have attached the lift to the timber frame, so it does not infact hang on the table top at all.

One problem is that it's so tight that while I can raise it with the jack, I can't lower it, need to push it down. Perhaps if I could attach the jack to the router and table. Or I will make use of the original plans which called for a threaded rod, I am liking that idea more and more. It's all just temporary now, later when it's done enough it's time to add cabinets and stuff. I desperately need all storage I can get, my workshop lacks a lot of basic things like cabinets, and workbenches, man how I would love a workbench and a vise.... Oh well it's all coming!

dcgrp
Jun 23, 2008
First project I'm giving to someone else/my first project other than shop furniture. It definitely has flaws, but I certainly learned a lot.

Also, I'm one of those crazies who works in (mostly) hand tools. This project was all hand tools.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Woodworking loot: set of 3 Hurricane bowl gouges (from wife), Grrripper, broad hatchet, wood burning kit, and Stern countersink (rest I bought myself).

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

wormil posted:

Woodworking loot: set of 3 Hurricane bowl gouges (from wife), Grrripper, broad hatchet, wood burning kit, and Stern countersink (rest I bought myself).

Is that your first Grr-ripper? I hate to throw the word life-changing about, but...

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

wormil posted:

broad hatchet
Were they out of men's hatchets at the store?

bimmian
Oct 16, 2008

Cobalt60 posted:

Is that your first Grr-ripper? I hate to throw the word life-changing about, but...

I've used that term in every review I've done for it. Got my dad one.

My dad got me a handful of Orange tools router bits, nice round-over and rabbeting set, plus a couple randoms i needed. My mom got me a wood burning set, never done any of that before. Have you wormil? Not sure where to get started.

bimmian
Oct 16, 2008
Couple gifts I made for xmas, both came out really great I think.

Tree cutting/serving board set that I posted about earlier. Made the base out of oak, with 3 dados that the boards can sit in and be arranged however-

Organizer thing. Hang your keys, hat, scarf, whatever, but the cool thing imo is the elastic that goes across the top to hang your sunglasses on. Really simple solution (thanks pinterest). Nice piece of padauk and some cheapy decorative corner pieces that match the hardware. Wasn't my first choice of hardware, but I procrastinated on this a bit (started and finished on the 24th*) so I had to choose from the 3 sets I had on hand. Single coat of tung oil

* My biggest "You've gotta be loving kidding me" moment of the season- Routed keyhole hangers into the face of the piece, not the back. Can't believe I did that.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Slugworth posted:

Were they out of men's hatchets at the store?

I don't swing that way, prefer the broads myself

Cobalt60 posted:

Yep. I always assumed they were gimmicks but after many glowing reviews and Lowe's giving $20 off + free shipping, I decided to buy one.

bimmian posted:

My mom got me a wood burning set, never done any of that before. Have you wormil? Not sure where to get started.

No, I tried it out today just playing around. I have no skill with it yet.

Pine

Maple, this was a wood cup I made to experiment with but it cracked during turning. I tried sealing the cracks then finished with 3 coats of lacquer but water went right through the finish, into the cracks, swelled and burst the wood.

Holly, this is the replacement wood handle I'm making for the broad hatchet. Unfortunately this had a knot hidden inside but it's far enough down the handle it won't matter for how I'll be using it.

Testing the countersink, does a nice job.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Cobalt60 posted:

I also got my first Grr-ripper. I am excited to put it to use!

Anyone seen any good boxing week deals on planers? This seems to be the best I can find.

DEWALT DW735 13-Inch, Two Speed Thickness Planer - Price: CDN$ 523.99

No idea why it says it's over a grand normally. Seems to be $699 most places when not on sale. Very weird.

Anything better? Anyone experience with this planer?
I've seen some cheaper ones around for as low as 350 but they all seem to have issues with snipe according to reviews. I've never used one before though so I'm just not sure how much to read into that.

I should add I'm in Canada so we got retarded high prices for no reason.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

wormil posted:

No, I tried it out today just playing around. I have no skill with it yet.

Pine

Maple, this was a wood cup I made to experiment with but it cracked during turning. I tried sealing the cracks then finished with 3 coats of lacquer but water went right through the finish, into the cracks, swelled and burst the wood.

Holly, this is the replacement wood handle I'm making for the broad hatchet. Unfortunately this had a knot hidden inside but it's far enough down the handle it won't matter for how I'll be using it.

What is that symbol?

Skinny Bins
Jul 30, 2006

Eat lead, Olympic targets!

BUGS OF SPRING posted:

Anyone seen any good boxing week deals on planers? This seems to be the best I can find.

No idea why it says it's over a grand normally. Seems to be $699 most places when not on sale. Very weird.

I've seen some cheaper ones around for as low as 350 but they all seem to have issues with snipe according to reviews. I've never used one before though so I'm just not sure how much to read into that.

The first little shop I worked in had one of these. It was quite the little workhorse. It was able to handle the needs of a small commercial shop without getting to.o bogged down. It did have a snipe issue, but we just compensated by making our pieces 3" longer than we needed. Not ideal, but when you're running hundreds of feet of face frame, it's not a big deal. For most home shops, you're not going to get much better unless you find a nice used one.

Speaking of which, if there's anyone in the Vancouver area that's interested in a Hitachi jointer/planer combo, my boss has one for sale. It's a decent machine, and with a little TLC could be a great addition to any home shop. It looks similar to this one:

I think he's asking somewhere between $1000-$1400, but i can probably get a better "friend" price.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Magnus Praeda posted:

What is that symbol?

Illuminati

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

BUGS OF SPRING posted:

Meant to respond to this last night, but was on my phone.

I can't speak to the price, but I have that planer, no complaints.

I recommend putting some debris collection on the chip out-take: mine came with a little blast thing that goes on there that just shoots the chips everywhere. It does a really good job of clearing the chips (the fan inside is pretty good) but it makes a pretty expansive mess. A simple vac on there will move debris like crazy with little trouble, between the blast of the planer's own turbine and the vac's suction.

I didn't look to see if they're still doing it, but when I got mine (used) I basically got a free set of knives because they're reversible, having blades along both edges. Previous owner didn't realize that, and while his use on the one edge was not awful, the other side was basically brand new. If I recall, the lower model of the dewalt planer does NOT have reversible knives. I just mention that because it's worth bearing in mind that whatever you pay for knives, you're getting two sets of blades out of them.

I haven't had a lot of issue with snipe, but then, I always leave plenty of extra wood at each end of the workpiece, and if I can't, I put it in a sled, which basically eliminates snipe. You can also get infeed/outfeed table, that's supposed to help with snipe, although I don't have them and I do okay with a sled. I suspect both a sled and infeed/outfeed tables would pretty much eliminate snipe altogether.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

BUGS OF SPRING posted:

I have that planer. For its size, it's a workhorse. It produces a decent finish with minimal snipe. The only cons I can think of is it bogs under heavy cuts and it's loud- screaming banshee loud. I got a killer deal last fall on mine. I think it was $380 with two sets of knives. If I ever start doing more then just hobby woodworking, it's going to be replaced with a nice Powermatic or Delta, but for how little space I have now, it's nice to be able to put it under my workbench when not in use.

the spyder fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Dec 27, 2014

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Magnus Praeda posted:

What is that symbol?

My initials in Ogham, an ancient Celtic tree alphabet.

On planer talk, I've heard good things about the Steelex with helical heads.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

In other news I tore up my router lift, I just wasn't happy with it. Bought Matthias Wandels tilting router lift plans instead. They're pretty comprehensive plans. Hopefully I'll be able to modify them to take my dumbass router. It pisses me off royally that we don't have cylindrical routers with removable bases as standard like you do in north america.

Tora! Tora! Tora!
Dec 28, 2008

Shake it baby

the spyder posted:

I have that planer. For its size, it's a workhorse. It produces a decent finish with minimal snipe. The only cons I can think of is it bogs under heavy cuts and it's loud- screaming banshee loud. I got a killer deal last fall on mine. I think it was $380 with two sets of knives. If I ever start doing more then just hobby woodworking, it's going to be replaced with a nice Powermatic or Delta, but for how little space I have now, it's nice to be able to put it under my workbench when not in use.

When I took woodshop, we had a couple of awesome Powermatics and a great old Grizzly but we still used that Dewalt planer frequently. Less snipe and it more cleanly took off tiny bits and was easier to feed smaller pieces through.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
While waiting for glue to dry today and looking for something to do I found a nub of wood left from some other turning and made a dinky box. It's 2" diameter, 1.25" tall.

dobbymoodge
Mar 8, 2005

wormil posted:

While waiting for glue to dry today and looking for something to do I found a nub of wood left from some other turning and made a dinky box. It's 2" diameter, 1.25" tall.

That's better than anything I have ever made.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

dobbymoodge posted:

That's better than anything I have ever made.

It's best to put wormil on ignore unless you want to feel bad about all your projects. :)

Is a DIY wood lathe a good idea? I think I could make this one someday: http://www.instructables.com/id/100-Homemade-Lathe/

Comedy option: Just need a jackstand. . .

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
That's me, shaming the world one dinky box at a time.

Crotch Fruit posted:

Is a DIY wood lathe a good idea? I think I could make this one someday: http://www.instructables.com/id/100-Homemade-Lathe/

I don't think it's worth the effort with all the inexpensive old lathes out in the world, unless you really just want to build a lathe. If you did, I would build this one:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Personally, I *really* want to build a treadle lathe at some point, but that's me; I've got some weird anti-power tools bias :staredog: I'm still starting out, o'course, and I don't have anything I immediately need a lathe for, so that's a ways off.

Geop fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Dec 28, 2014

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

wormil posted:

That's me, shaming the world one dinky box at a time.

I don't think it's worth the effort with all the inexpensive old lathes out in the world, unless you really just want to build a lathe. If you did, I would build this one:

I don't think Wichita KS is large enough to have a useful Craigslist, all I see today are two $3,000 lathes, and a $150 Craftsman an hour away (which is really tempting, assuming it's not junk). I don't particularly want to spend time hunting down auctions or estate sales, is there a good website to help locate 2nd hand tools? Failing that, is a $150 Harbor Freight lathe acceptable?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Crotch Fruit posted:

I don't think Wichita KS is large enough to have a useful Craigslist, all I see today are two $3,000 lathes, and a $150 Craftsman an hour away (which is really tempting, assuming it's not junk). I don't particularly want to spend time hunting down auctions or estate sales, is there a good website to help locate 2nd hand tools? Failing that, is a $150 Harbor Freight lathe acceptable?

Lots of people own this one: http://www.harborfreight.com/12-inch-x-33-3-8-eighth-inch-wood-lathe-with-reversible-head-34706.html

I have a 1958 Craftsman, paid $50 for it, works just fine. I converted it to variable speed using a treadmill motor. If you buy an old one, make sure it has a threaded spindle.

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?
Doesn't look too difficult to build your own
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBcS3iSkhc0

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Questions about biscuits:

I was trying to figure out the best way to assemble a gaming table top such as here on my model and design:

I would like it to not have a lot (or any) visible screws, especially on the 45 degree corners. I am thinking to pick up a biscuit joiner, which would be useful for bookshelves I want to build anyway. Would the biscuits be strong enough on their own, or will I still need some screws / brads to help strengthen it?

Second question, I am considering a 6.5 amp Dewalt biscuit joiner, or a Ryobi 6 amp. The Dewalt seems to have a much nicer fence, but is twice as much. I don't mind spending more if it's worth it.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_71000-70-DW...Info=In%20Store
or
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-Biscuit-Joiner-Kit-JM82K/100052027

recommendations?

bimmian
Oct 16, 2008
For corners, you can use a spline which will give you plenty of strength, plus it looks good-

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard
I've got a tool question. I'm looking to buy a handsaw for rough work and I've got it down to these two:

The Stanley Fatmax 15-inch handsaw

The Irwin Universal 20-inch

I'm just looking for a decent sharp saw. The Irwin is less-reviewed, but it's smaller cousin seems like a good product. My price range is like 20 bucks. I'd rather have a 20 inch or even a 26 inch saw. Does anyone own either of those or a comparable saw they can recommend?