Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
knob
May 25, 2005

knob
So how's this Lords of Xulima game? I've always been disappointed by turn based RPGs, but I keep buying them anyways. I think the first one I bought was WIzardry 8 and I still haven't finished one. The combat always ends up feeling repetitive and boring after the initial novelty of it wears off.

But $10 "old school" (whatever that means) rpg piques my interest.

edit: And anyone who wants a God of War type game, Enslaved is definitely worth $5. It's pretty loving good.

knob fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Dec 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
My friends and I get Viscera Clean Up Detail. Has anybody bought it and have any tips or things we should know before we get started?

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Everblight posted:

So I got Hatoful Boyfriend because I actually liked Long Live the Queen and, uh...

I went to the Infirmary to find my friend...

There was a festival at the school field...

My first day working at the coffee shop...

Walking home from the coffee shop...

:ohdear:

Despite its unending weirdness, I can't get into this game, mostly because there isn't much "game" there. You just keep clicking and events happen. There isn't really a narrative throughline or story to follow, so you just make choices moment to moment, and they don't seem to build on each other.

Yeah, I got the same impression. The gameplay/storyline is nonexistent, and as much as I like the idea of the game, I'm finding it harder and harder to motivate myself to keep playing. It's a loose mis-mash of references and parodies that the developers thought were funny.

Maybe it's funnier/more enjoyable for people who have actually played dating sims.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Y'all got conned into the anime pigeon dating sim? There's a sucker born every minute, I guess.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Anonymous Robot posted:

Y'all got conned into the anime pigeon dating sim? There's a sucker born every minute, I guess.

Or if you go based on the Steam thread and anime games, every nanosecond.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Theta Zero posted:

My friends and I get Viscera Clean Up Detail. Has anybody bought it and have any tips or things we should know before we get started?

The cleaning? That's it. That's all there is. You are never going to be attacked by anything, but you will knock over that blood-filled bucket endlessly, creating a mess that often takes more than one bucket to clean back up. And they have yet to add a vacuum tool, so have fun picking up assault rifle shells one by one forever. And body parts will always physics their way out of bins, spraying viscera everywhere. Again.

Most maps do have secrets to find, usually fairly obtuse, and there is mildly entertaining data-pads to read (mostly along the lines of "tee-hee we are soooo evil"). It's probably better with friends, and I've seen at least one you-tube LP where the players talk to each other like a real clean up crew (the experienced manager training the new guy), which looked like they were having some fun. But it's a sand-box, and that means it's as much fun as you make it. I've tried to stream it before but without a gimmick of some sort it's about as fun to watch as play (see, not much).

Give it an honest try. Setting things on fire with the plasma gun is fun for a while (until you realize the soot is yet another thing to clean).

Ougher
Jan 16, 2005

DACK FAYDEN posted:

So I bought this Hero Siege game, and I think I'm really lovely at it.

I am moving super slowly and dying to a stiff breeze and every time I enter a Crypt or a Dungeon I don't make it out alive and I've never lived long enough to keep my items or potion stat boosts. Switching from Viking to Pyromancer really helped, but I find myself dying in bursts and not by paper cuts.

I'm still playing it, because I can feel that it will be fun sometime soon, just... what am I missing?

For reference, I got Plat God/True Plat God on Isaac/Rebirth, so I'm not totally helpless with these types of games, but I'm also not very good at video games in general.

I just finished the second boss with my archer dude. I had trouble early on not dying cause sometimes there would be a lot of poo poo on the screen and I'd miss a projectile or something. Just kept playing, got some levels and tried avoiding the crypts and dungeons and I got pretty far. If a treasure fort spawns try to get there if you have some gold saved up, you can buy relics for 1k gold, and temp(until you die) stat boosts for a couple hundred gold. The only thing is you need a regular type key, and can only enter during the time between waves. It pops up as 3 stone walls with a wooden gate with a lock on it, so if I saw the message pop up I'd go look for it then finish my wave near it so I could jump in and buy some stuff. I think I'm about level 26 or so, and have like 12 artifacts, but I know I'm going to die soon and lose them all. :ohdear: But thats just how it seems to work, you should do better each time unless you get some of the rear end in a top hat boss spawns.

I really like the game and I never played BoI, but I guess if you liked that game you'd probably enjoy this. Totally worth the $1.50 or 3$ with the dlc.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

if you bought the dlc the samurai is pretty op compared to the other classes

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

FirstAidKite posted:

Both of these look like pretty interesting virtual board games. Has anyone played these versions and if so are they any good?

Hive looks like a port of the XBLIG version of Hive, which was indeed a fantastic version of the game. No idea about the other one, though.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

anyone play metrocide? http://store.steampowered.com/app/313130

it's $6 on gamestop for a steam key

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

knob posted:

So how's this Lords of Xulima game? I've always been disappointed by turn based RPGs, but I keep buying them anyways. I think the first one I bought was WIzardry 8 and I still haven't finished one. The combat always ends up feeling repetitive and boring after the initial novelty of it wears off.

But $10 "old school" (whatever that means) rpg piques my interest.

edit: And anyone who wants a God of War type game, Enslaved is definitely worth $5. It's pretty loving good.

Lords of Xulima is really fun. I bought it while it was in Early Access, and the finished product has a lot of depth to it. The combat is very similar to the old Wizardry games, and there is a lot to explore in the world. I definitely got a Baldur's Gate vibe from it, on the outset. At $10, you should definitely pick it up.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Oh wow, Kragger's a champion - while I was off seeing the last Hobbit movie (good film btw), he gifted me Thief! I'll definitely give it a whirl once it's downloaded as you suggest, and see how it goes! Thanks again :glomp:

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
If I have already missed the daily deal for a game should I bother waiting until the last day? Do games ever go on flash or community after they have been a daily?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Theta Zero posted:

Get a bud, put on a podcast, chill out, shoot the poo poo, clean alien intestines. It's a really relaxing game, especially if you have someone to play with.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Xik posted:

If I have already missed the daily deal for a game should I bother waiting until the last day? Do games ever go on flash or community after they have been a daily?

They have before, yeah. Unless there's some time sensitive reason beyond "But I gotta play it noooow" then just wait until the last day.

Though that reminds me, didn't the a previous sales' "last day" only actually have the encore deals as sales and the rest of the catalogue went back to regular prices and some people were kind of peeved at that? I remember something like that happening for some reason at least.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Xik posted:

If you don't need to play it right now then absolutely, the last day was usually an encore.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Grapplejack posted:

Get a bud, put on a podcast, chill out, shoot the poo poo, clean alien intestines. It's a really relaxing game, especially if you have someone to play with.

That's the plan, we bought the 4-pack. We all wanted a game to relax to, so this sounds good from what I'm hearing.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

CSM posted:

Lol if you think big AAA games were ever 75% off in their first year of release.

Where in my post did I say that?

"AAA" games released in the year of the sale have always seemed to have the chance of hitting 50% off (look at borderlands or the evil within, shadow of mordor), but only if they released earlier than the holiday season.

Just look at Ubisoft for example, where Unity and FC4 weren't available until the sale was underway meaning minimum discount, but due to Steams new advertising plan, a guaranteed daily spot.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Picked up Wreckfest a week or two ago when it was half off just prior to the sale and just now got around to playing a few races in MP.

Holy poo poo.

Early access or not - dear lord is this poo poo fun. I am absolutely terrible, but it doesn't matter. drat near every race includes at least one joker that runs backwards and it doesn't matter. I finished only 2 of the 5 races I ran and it didn't matter.

Wreckfest is some seriously stupid fun poo poo. Wonderful wonderful fun.

And occulus support to boot. I swear I will buy the commercial version when it's finally released for the sole purpose of playing this game. I will likely vomit on my desk and laugh.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Hatoful Boyfriend is a genuinely amazing game.

There's more to it than meets the eye. You get some clues during some sequences.

If you're asked to fulfill a promise, make sure you do.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
ok, so I bought Visceral Clean-up Detail today on the advice of E-Tank. If anyone else wants to play online apparently you can do it with Hamachi(sp?). Steam name is Pufflekins. Message me on Steam if you want to play.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I've never seen Ziggurat mentioned anywhere on the forums and that's not cool because Ziggurat is cool. It's like the binding of isaac crossed with serious sam, except there's only 5% as much bullshit as isaac. There's a lot of items to unlock, characters that have different starting stats, and the way you level up tends to keep things random while still giving you enough control that you never get screwed. I've finished it 3 times (it's 1-2 hours for one game to the end and lets you save & quit between each of the 5 floors if you want) and can say it's definitely worth a look.

All enemy attacks are dodgeable and you tend to have at least 1 pretty effective weapon at all times, because there's a guaranteed weapon at the start of every floor, including the first. Only thing that feels unfair is the random mutators that happen in some rooms, because they can have solely negative effects ranging to things as bad as "all enemies are twice as hard, have fun." Very uncommon to get something that bad though.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Gestalt Intellect posted:

I've never seen Ziggurat mentioned anywhere on the forums and that's not cool because Ziggurat is cool.
People have been talking about it constantly since the sale started in both threads but it's ok - more talk about good games is better.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Palpek posted:

People have been talking about it constantly since the sale started in both threads but it's ok - more talk about good games is better.

Reading and paying attention in general are not my strong points.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Anyone here played Influent? I'm hoping for a mildly entertaining but uncomplicated game that works as a way to expand someone's vocabulary, which is more or less what the steam reviews are telling me this is. Any weird problems that pop up?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Rookersh posted:

Yet both have been fixed now, which make it a bit moot? The level design still isn't amazing, but both the sound and AI are working. No real reason to say they aren't.

The most recent episode of the currently-running Thi4f LP on SA (currently on the brothel mission) definitely had hilariously bad sound. Two people were standing next to each other talking, one sounded perfectly clear, one sounded like miles away talking through a roll of toilet paper.
lovely sound is definitely still in.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

e: nvm.

Random goon Rochelle added me out nowhere and gifted me Sins of Solar Empire: Rebellion. Many thanks!

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Dec 27, 2014

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Hatoful Boyfriend goes from "amusing gimmick game" to "legitimately really good" the moment you get on the true route, and it's sad that a lot of people don't seem to bother with getting there.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Freak Futanari posted:

Hatoful Boyfriend goes from "amusing gimmick game" to "legitimately really good" the moment you get on the true route, and it's sad that a lot of people don't seem to bother with getting there.

It's because you have to beat all the other 'main' paths to unlock it.. And I find them gimmicky for the most part (aside from Okasan, and that's probably because I've been craving pudding for weeks).

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Someone spoil the intricate plot of Hatoful Boyfriend for me so that I don't have to play it.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

CJacobs posted:

Someone spoil the intricate plot of Hatoful Boyfriend for me so that I don't have to play it.

http://lparchive.org/Hatoful-Boyfriend/Update%2072/

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
At least it's the funny kind of stupid and not the stupid kind of stupid, I guess.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
So did they ever fix any of the early-access bugs for King's Bounty: Dark Side? Is it worth it now? The Steam reviews seem to be a lot of very angry people who have all played between 100 and 400 hours, so it's pretty confusing.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

:gifttank: We still have a Gift Train going! Come gamble with goons and games! Get on before the sale ends!

Even if you don't know what it is, click the link, maybe you'll be surprised!

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I'm looking forward to a LOT of "post your steam nickname list, LOL" stuff.

(That is a new thing, right?)

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

CJacobs posted:

The Birds gained control of society after a mutation created to deal with the Bird Flu virus made them super intelligent. Most humans died out. You play as a 'test subject' who is sent to the school as an experiment to see if humans and birds can actually live together peacefully and socialize properly.

The true campaign starts when the main character is murdered and her body dismembered and sent to the different classes in different boxes. You then take the role of a murder investigator to find out exactly what is going on

It's a very hosed up game.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I was wrong, that is the stupid kind of stupid. Well, good on them for making it. The world needs more games with crazy batshit nuts premises like that.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Dec 27, 2014

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(
Just finished my first successful run through Dungeon of the Endless, echoing the sentiment that that game is awesome. Two of the characters were bickering over their past for half the game and one of them ended up killing the other in the elevator which was pretty crazy.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

How do I get an invite to the goon group on steam? And do I want to or is it cliquey bullshit like :gb2fyad:?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe

Everblight posted:

How do I get an invite to the goon group on steam? And do I want to or is it cliquey bullshit like :gb2fyad:?

See the OP for this thread? Check out what is currently the third siren.

• Locked thread