Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Party Plane Jones posted:

Mount and Blade was a husband and wife development team for over 4 years, as opposed to a team that apparently had more than half a dozen people working on it for 3 with Starbound.

Mount and Blade's original release was an incredibly basic game. Like Terraria's first public build had more depth than M&B did at launch. Now it's a solid game and I really hope if/when M&B 2 comes out it has some co-op option to let people run around with you murdering poo poo in battle but I'd put Starbound's current build at more filled out than M&B was.

There's no good reason for Chucklefish to move to London unless Tiy was offered a shitload of breaks and boons by the city as part of some tech-hunting thing (like NOLA tried to do after Katrina). There's a handful of other studios with a presence in the UK and I think Jagex and a couple others might be in London specifically, but it'd be like relocating your game development team to Fargo to Springfield here in the US instead of to the West Coast, Austin, or a cheaper East Coast option like Atlanta, Boston, or maybe Savannah? I really wouldn't be surprised if the reason boiled down to Tiy and co just wanted to live in London instead of someplace nice because they're insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

The video game industry has a hardon for the most expensive cities in the world and it's the stupidest thing about my industry and I hate it.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

CIG Santa Monica

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

Jackard posted:

Why London, anyways?

Dr Who

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.
You're all just a bunch of Chucklebitches as far as i can see.

Doctor Who?

Rrussom fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Dec 27, 2014

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Dr Who is based in Cardiff so wow lol Tiy super hosed up.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
so is anyone going to mod this when it comes out or did all the modders die?

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
It is a super loving odd move to be sure since I think most employees are American?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

How are they going to pet the dog from America ?? Use your dang brain

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Jackard posted:

Why London, anyways?

Maybe tax? (Although I'm sure there'd be somewhere so pro capitalism in the US that'd have a lower taxrate/tax breaks.)

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

The UK offers a bunch of tax credit to game studios. It's one of the best places in the world to have a studio right now if you're just looking at what incentives are provided. I think both the UK and the EU provide poo poo to studios there plus London provides bonus to tech sector companies. So they might be triple dipping by being there.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Limey Dodger Chucklefuck

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

The pile of turds the puppy is making is better than you see where im going with this

Or the puppy will have died of old age by the time

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

The UK offers a bunch of tax credit to game studios. It's one of the best places in the world to have a studio right now if you're just looking at what incentives are provided. I think both the UK and the EU provide poo poo to studios there plus London provides bonus to tech sector companies. So they might be triple dipping by being there.

Except the UK is notorious within the industry for being impossible to find jobs. :confused:

Silento Boborachi
Sep 17, 2007

hence the tax credits?

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
It's called AMERICAN Football, not handegg you drat limeys

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Fargin Icehole posted:

It's called AMERICAN Football, not handegg you drat limeys

I'm American and still think handegg is a better name.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Handegg is the worst because it reeks of "Yes, I'm from the Internet and yes, I like Deadpool."

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

mutata posted:

Except the UK is notorious within the industry for being impossible to find jobs. :confused:

Starbound can stay afloat for nine more years so don't worry

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Geokinesis posted:

Maybe tax? (Although I'm sure there'd be somewhere so pro capitalism in the US that'd have a lower taxrate/tax breaks.)

NOLA is one off the top of my head. But it's also the deep south and you have to be insane to want to relocate your business to the deep south.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Ahundredbux posted:

Starbound can stay afloat for nine more years so don't worry

Any day now

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I do try to be nice because I like a lot of the devs and they are cool people, but I wish they would have just let the combat system/etc stay like it was and let mods fix it (there were some good ones a couple months after release even) and just added a bunch of content

like just add a bunch of bosses and items and tilesets and poo poo

right now the game feels pretty much the same as it did months ago which is kind of confusing to me

Super Space Jam 64
Jan 6, 2010

Yet another violation of regulation 1910 subpart D.
I played the new unstable for a day and my favorite thing about it was how it got me to rediscover Terraria all over again a sixth time

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

mutata posted:

That's why all the incentives, to try and attract more development studios.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

oddium posted:

Handegg is the worst because it reeks of "Yes, I'm from the Internet and yes, I like Deadpool."

I feel Deadpool truly is the Starbound of comic characters.

Sans success and popularity of course.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Afraid of Audio posted:

I feel Deadpool truly is the Starbound of comic characters.

Sans success and popularity of course.

In that it's made by people who are passionate about what they're doing but unfortunately are extremely inept

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Deadpool is garbage

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Ahundredbux posted:

Deadpool is garbage

Exactly.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Actually,, Starbound is my game of the year

In the year 2199 !!!!!!!!!

Heehehehe!!!

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

oddium posted:

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.
So, who's the Deadpool of this thread?

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

it's me

hi

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
gas thread ban op

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

The best part of this thread is watching bitter goons complaining about this thread in other threads :)

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Prop Wash posted:

The best part of this thread is watching bitter goons complaining about this thread in other threads :)

can you link this? that sounds loving hilarious

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Eonwe posted:

please do, i dont think anyone can match the defeatist attitude here, not even star citizen.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Have they finally turned the corner on Star Citizen or are you talking about everyone laughing at the die hards?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
So I bought this game almost a year ago, played it a bit. I decided rather than annoy myself (and others on the internet) by impatiently waiting for the game to finish and closely following it's progress, I'd leave it alone and come back to it later.

I've decided that it's later. Has there seriously not been a stable update since last April? Surely I'm misreading the website or something. Or has everyone abandoned the stable version for unstable? All this mention of Star Citizen on the last page makes me really sad. The game seemed to be updating at a pretty decent clip last time I saw it, but this is basically the exact same game it was when I quit.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

counterfeitsaint posted:

So I bought this game almost a year ago, played it a bit. I decided rather than annoy myself (and others on the internet) by impatiently waiting for the game to finish and closely following it's progress, I'd leave it alone and come back to it later.

I've decided that it's later. Has there seriously not been a stable update since last April? Surely I'm misreading the website or something. Or has everyone abandoned the stable version for unstable? All this mention of Star Citizen on the last page makes me really sad. The game seemed to be updating at a pretty decent clip last time I saw it, but this is basically the exact same game it was when I quit.

They've abandoned stable for unstable, whiny modders get to play with their lego's, and the rest of us get to try new things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Eonwe posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3593502&pagenumber=294&perpage=40#post439268656

It's just a guy in the Pillars of Eternity thread who has very strong opinions about this thread :) I don't know why, I think it's a pretty good thread myself.

• Locked thread