Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

Drone posted:

So what's the difference between the free version of Steel Panthers: World at War and the one being sold during the Matrix sale? I really enjoy WinSPMBT, so I'm eyeballing WaW.

I think the one you pay for has the mega campaigns, which aren't free. Base game is the same. There's plenty of community campaigns out there,in my opinion, and IIRC the prices for the megacampaigns are ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Dirt Worshipper posted:

The Angola vs South Africa expac looked so interesting I picked it up with the base game for ~ $7 total.

Which game?

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Lunsku posted:

Well poo poo. I was thinking of picking up Command Ops during the holiday sales season, but Panther Games have switched their publishing from Matrix to Lock'n'Load Publishing (no idea about them) who don't even have the series up on their web pages yet.

Apparently LNL Publishing is straight up unable to sell the old Command Ops games due to copyright issues. There's Command Ops 2 engine coming at some point, with the previous Bulge, Market Garden and Crete provided as scenarios.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

quote:

Example. in the next twelve months we plan to put out CO2.0 and CO2.1 as major updates to the engine. If you want to keep your data modules up to date with each engine update then you will pay $50 to update them to 2.0 and another $50 for 2.1 - ie a total of $100. We plan to put out the KOAD and Westwall data modules in the first half of next year at $30 each. Subject to when we finish the 2.1 engine update with mounted ops feature we plan to then release one maybe two east front modules. Let's assume we achieve that, then the most you would spend in the next twelve months would be $100 for updates plus $120 for new data modules. That's a total of $220. In effect you will have acquired five new data modules (Med, KOAD, Westwall East Front 1 and East Front 2). If we had sold each as a separate game then you would have paid something in the order of $250 and you would have not been able to play all your scenarios with the latest engine.

These people have the weirdest, groggiest, pricing structure ever. I enjoy CO1, but man, offering it like that is rear end backwards. The whole LNL transition looks to be a total trainwreck. Even Panther Games's "Buy Now" button links to Matrix, which says 'discontinued'.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
So in witp, what exact conditions do I have to fulfill for a CAG to be able to draw replacements? Is being in a hex with 20k supplies sufficient? What about port size or HQs, do they effect it at all? The manual explains the conditions for replenishing the carriers sorties and torpedoes well enough, but not how to replenish the planes themselves.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Pharnakes posted:

So in witp, what exact conditions do I have to fulfill for a CAG to be able to draw replacements? Is being in a hex with 20k supplies sufficient? What about port size or HQs, do they effect it at all? The manual explains the conditions for replenishing the carriers sorties and torpedoes well enough, but not how to replenish the planes themselves.

Same as any air replacement, 20k supplies or within ferry range of an air hq with 20k supplies or somesuch. American CAGs can also draw from replenishment squadrons (VR*) if the replenishment squadron is at a base within ferry range or on a carrier in a replenishment tf within ferry range.

SA_Avenger
Oct 22, 2012

Darkrenown posted:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/updates/131062882

Excuse me a moment, I just need to generate and register 10 steam keys :suicide:

Yeah and then realise that because you do not have the original panzer corps you can not redeem the whole campaign even though you own Afrika Korps (which was supposed to be stand alone because that's how I played it all the first time )

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Haha, yeah, Afrika Korps and Allied Corps are DLC for the base game on Steam - but they are stand alones from Matrix.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Thinking about picking up either AGEOD's Civil War 2 or Forge of Freedom, is one objectively better than the other? I read Grey's LP on FoF and it looked pretty fun, and I really like the Age of Rifles style battles. On the other hand Civil War 2 looks more rewarding from a grand strategy perspective.

Edit: Let me rephrase the question to be less vague: Which would be better for someone like me who isn't a super die hard grognard that can't get into WiTP because of the overwhelming complexity, but enjoys games like HoI3 and Dominions 4?

Kibbles n Shits fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Dec 25, 2014

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
Combat Mission is giving me a headache. I want to buy the game (or three) but I don't trust Battlefront at all. It isn't coming to Steam, that much is clear, but is it available from any other place? Preferably without the apparently retarded activation DRM it seems to have?

I can't understand what's wrong with my money. €200 eurobux are set aside for the day their games come to Steam.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
It's trustworthy and super easy and I don't know why you have such hesitations. But your last line made me thing it's that they aren't processing your payments or something?

TonySnow
Mar 24, 2008

Hob_Gadling posted:

Combat Mission is giving me a headache. I want to buy the game (or three) but I don't trust Battlefront at all. It isn't coming to Steam, that much is clear, but is it available from any other place? Preferably without the apparently retarded activation DRM it seems to have?

I can't understand what's wrong with my money. €200 eurobux are set aside for the day their games come to Steam.

No, Battlefront is the only provider for the new game and that is probably for the far foreseeable future. They are their own developers and publishers, and have had great success with their products since 2000, they have no reason to change. I agree with Dark_Swordmaster, they are trustworthy, I've bought every single CM game and upgrade they've developed since the beginning and have had 0 issues with them or their games, even with their new DRM. I think you would be very hard pressed to find someone seriously disgruntled with Battlefront or CM.

TonySnow fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Dec 26, 2014

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Hob_Gadling posted:

What activation DRM? iirc it's just a serial number that phones home once.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

It's trustworthy and super easy and I don't know why you have such hesitations. But your last line made me thing it's that they aren't processing your payments or something?

I tried reading their forums first and there were a couple mentions of an extra activation DRM. That's always a red flag for me. So is when someone describes themselves as "smarter than average". But really the thing is that it's one small publisher with very niche games. A larger marketplace isn't quite as likely to go belly up.

I'll have to reconsider it. Playing the LP without owning any of the games is a bitch and a half.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

I snagged Graviteam when the gem auction was on for the equivalent of $1.50 and picked up the three modern DLCs since they're 80% off.

I don't exactly get it. I mean, so it looks like you can only issue vague orders. Like platoon attacks this point, prioritising this type of target. But not as specific as you can in CM. Seems hard to get your troops to actually do what you want.

I created a quick battle to start which I thought would be a no brainer easy mode. 80s Iran armour/mechanized against a WW2 German mech company with some tanks.

I mean I won, but somehow the Germans actually managed to take out a Chieftain tank or two while my tanks decided to fire into the ground 10 m in front of them instead of the side of the Tiger 500m in front of them on level ground. No idea how a Tiger penetrated a Chieftain from the front, or why my tanks wanted to shoot the ground so much.

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Dec 26, 2014

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

uPen posted:

What activation DRM? iirc it's just a serial number that phones home once.

You can run out of activations and have to email them, I've been there a ton.

Also when I threw in my new GFX card it counted that as a hardware change and invalidated it :toot:.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I've had something like three formats/reinstalls in the past two years and while I've had to reactivate each time I've yet to get a "Yo dawg, email us!" notification. Either way, you buy them, download them (and recently as of a year or two ago they've allowed on-demand downloads!), install them, and then when trying to start it you'll get a standard splash screen asking for you to input your serial number and submit it. It's simple, painless, and I super duper promise you it's fair and honest.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I've had something like three formats/reinstalls in the past two years and while I've had to reactivate each time I've yet to get a "Yo dawg, email us!" notification. Either way, you buy them, download them (and recently as of a year or two ago they've allowed on-demand downloads!), install them, and then when trying to start it you'll get a standard splash screen asking for you to input your serial number and submit it. It's simple, painless, and I super duper promise you it's fair and honest.

I had a hell of a time getting CMBN installed when the LP started because my original key was was used too much(I burn Windows installs like Dresden) but it seems like they removed that check from the 2.0(I think?) update because they told me to use that key to activate my game+expansions and that worked with just the one key...

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

apseudonym posted:

I burn Windows installs like Dresden

Needlessly and with much loss of life? :rimshot:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
How best should I spend Christmas Eve? I know! I'll correct a terrible historic injustice and make sure my favorite SS Obergruppenfuher is added to War in the East.

quote:

SS Obergruppenfuhrer Walter Kruger

This SS General needs to be added to the WITE and WITW database. Do not confuse him with Walter Kruger who commanded the LVIII Panzer Korps in Normandy and the Ardennes, and was a Wehrmacht officer.

I need this SS-Officer to command VI SS Latvian Korps in WITE and the same unit in the East Front Box in WITW.

Thanks,

Randy

copy pastes entire wikipedia article on Walt into his post

:negative:

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.

Fintilgin posted:

How best should I spend Christmas Eve? I know! I'll correct a terrible historic injustice and make sure my favorite SS Obergruppenfuher is added to War in the East.

:negative:

How and why does someone figure this out?

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Chump Farts posted:

How and why does someone figure this out?

They're just really into collecting Nazi memorabilia, that's all.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

1stGear posted:

Just like Simon Wiesenthal, then!

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
The only rational explanation I can come up with is that the guy is a relative?

I may be an optimist though. :smith:

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes

1stGear posted:

I'm reminded of the line from the hitman in Tomorrow Never Dies.

'Eh it's a hobby.' :v:

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Fintilgin posted:

The only rational explanation I can come up with is that the guy is a relative?

I may be an optimist though. :smith:

That's the first explanation I came up with. The second explanation is that some little-known author in the poster's native country once wrote a crappy novel that never got anywhere but used that general as a main character, and somehow the poster came across the book and became its biggest fan for reasons unknown and so developed a lifelong affinity for the general. Or maybe the poster's a fan not of the general specifically but of the Latvian Legion and everything connected to it? Seems like the legion is considered pretty important to the Latvians...

I dunno, I'm grasping at straws.

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.
Oh god I got DC:CB for christmas how do I learn this :ohdear:

Is the linked campaign a decent introduction to the game?

How bad is the overstacking penalty?

Is there an easy way to advance after combat other than clicking through all the counters and looking for the ones with move cost=0 into the combat hex?

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

Morholt posted:

Oh god I got DC:CB for christmas how do I learn this :ohdear:

Is the linked campaign a decent introduction to the game?

How bad is the overstacking penalty?

Is there an easy way to advance after combat other than clicking through all the counters and looking for the ones with move cost=0 into the combat hex?

Basically you will just learn to eyeball things after a bit of playing but generally you can get by by using at least 2 regiments of the same division attacking a single enemy chit from 2 adjacent hexes. That will give you a divisional bonus and a bonus for attacking from 2 hexes. Learn the terrain bonuses so you stay away from using armor in swamps or cities or across water as much as possible. The two things you always want to look at for the enemy (and your own) are readiness and entrenchment. Readiness below 50 in a unit means it is in dire straights.

I'd recommend starting with the linked campaign or the 3rd Kharkov scenario, both are small and easy to get your head around. Over stacking should be generally avoided, the bonuses for divisional and adjacency are what you want to use, as the stacking limit will rise for you in those situations. Sometimes it can't be avoided, enjoy cracking Sevastopol!

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
How exactly does the training carrier capable squadrons to carrier trained work? Saratoga got torpedoed 4 times on her way to pearl harbour, and will be stuck in SF docks for the foreseeable future. Can I use her as a training base while she is there, or does she have to be in a tf for it to count? I assume the later, but has anyone tried it?

E: Currently she has 53 systems + flood damage so nothing will fly of her anyway, but that will soon be down below 50, but can planes fly from carriers in shipyards?

EE: Can a carrier train a squadron in carrier ops whilst underway, or does she have to stay in port? Will the squadron take greater Ops losses whilst training if the carrier is underway?

Pharnakes fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Dec 27, 2014

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

Pharnakes posted:

How exactly does the training carrier capable squadrons to carrier trained work? Saratoga got torpedoed 4 times on her way to pearl harbour, and will be stuck in SF docks for the foreseeable future. Can I use her as a training base while she is there, or does she have to be in a tf for it to count? I assume the later, but has anyone tried it?

E: Currently she has 53 systems + flood damage so nothing will fly of her anyway, but that will soon be down below 50, but can planes fly from carriers in shipyards?

EE: Can a carrier train a squadron in carrier ops whilst underway, or does she have to stay in port? Will the squadron take greater Ops losses whilst training if the carrier is underway?

I can't recall the details or find them in the PDF manual sadly. I do know that a carrier can train a squadron in carrier ops while underway, and it will take greater ops losses while underway, but I have no idea what happens in port. I use one of the first allied CVE's as a trainer and just have it sit off some out of the way naval base in the same spot until the squadron is trained. I think it typically takes 1-2 months to do it though, and you'll see it in the ops report.

The extra fighter or dive bomber squadrons (the 5th squadron) on Saratoga/Lexington (and maybe Enterprise?) at the start of the game I think are just carrier capable, so you should see them flip to trained pretty quickly. Eventually the main 3 squadrons will resize to appropriately fill up the deck (36 + 36 + 18, I think).

Also, that's drat lucky that she ate 4 torps and didn't die. 3 was enough for most of my losses to subs, except when I lost Wasp to 2 (sorta historical I guess).

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

I just dug up some of the documentation for my WiTP alt-hist scenario I made as a dumb teen approximately a decade ago. I'm going to fix it up and get it balanced for Admiral's Edition - anyone interested in a PBEM whenever it's done?

Alikchi fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Dec 28, 2014

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Pharnakes posted:

3 months embarked on a carrier will make the squadron carrier trained. Should work in drydock as well, but I've never tested it.
Training missions will be flown, but with reduced efficiency I think.

The belt armor on the lexes are great. I had lexington torpedoed twice, ending up with a whooping 10 major float damage.
Battlecruiser-hulls for the loving win.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Alikchi posted:

I just dug up some of the documentation for my WiTP alt-hist scenario I made as a dumb teen approximately a decade ago. I'm going to fix it up and get it balanced for Admiral's Edition - anyone interested in a PBEM whenever it's done?

What's the alt-hist background of it?

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
Everyone knows Mexico didn't have a carrier fleet. What this mod presupposes is, what if they did?

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Caconym posted:

3 months embarked on a carrier will make the squadron carrier trained. Should work in drydock as well, but I've never tested it.
Training missions will be flown, but with reduced efficiency I think.

The belt armor on the lexes are great. I had lexington torpedoed twice, ending up with a whooping 10 major float damage.
Battlecruiser-hulls for the loving win.

I've been super lucky with torpedoes so far, both Repulse and PoW survived day 1, and PoW went on to sink the Hyuga at davao, whilst taking less than a months worth of damage. Cornwall got hit twice by kates for 9/9/3 damage, and hopefully this turn will get a bash at the zuikaku in revenge.

On the other hand Repulse managed to get utterly molested by 3 WW1 era cruisers, so maybe its balancing out.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

dtkozl posted:

Everyone knows Mexico didn't have a carrier fleet. What this mod presupposes is, what if they did?

Modeling a Kaiserreich Pacific war would be pretty neat.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Drone posted:

What's the alt-hist background of it?

Here's a long-rear end pastebin of the original story page, but a shorter version is this: Some of the interwar Battlecruisers cancelled in the 20s are built, Japan has a better-thought-out navy (no Yamatos, more carriers, etc), and the UK knocks Italy out of the war in 1941, freeing up lots of troops, ships and planes to defend Malaya.

Also, yeah, someone should do a Kaiserreich mod for this, holy hell.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Alikchi posted:

Also, yeah, someone should do a Kaiserreich mod for this, holy hell.

I know little about WitP's scenario editor, but would be totally willing to help out if there were a group project to do this.

Is there a "canon" version of the WW2 Kaiserreich timeline? Otherwise one would have to pick their own favorite version of events. Mitteleuropa (Germany + AOG + Netherlands? + Princely Confederation) vs. Entente (Japan + Canada + Australia + Qing? + Delhi) with the Pacific States or Russia joining in either side when certain conditions are met?

Drone fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Dec 28, 2014

Myoclonic Jerk
Nov 10, 2008

Cool it a minute, babe, let me finish playing with my fake gun.

Alikchi posted:

Here's a long-rear end pastebin of the original story page, but a shorter version is this: Some of the interwar Battlecruisers cancelled in the 20s are built, Japan has a better-thought-out navy (no Yamatos, more carriers, etc), and the UK knocks Italy out of the war in 1941, freeing up lots of troops, ships and planes to defend Malaya.

That's actually pretty entertaining. I'm not sure how it would work for game balance though - what disadvantages do the Allies have in this scenario? It looks like they have nothing but more ships and men and better fighters. Or is this scenario intended to only be played from the Japanese side, for the extra challenge?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Myoclonic Jerk posted:

That's actually pretty entertaining. I'm not sure how it would work for game balance though - what disadvantages do the Allies have in this scenario? It looks like they have nothing but more ships and men and better fighters. Or is this scenario intended to only be played from the Japanese side, for the extra challenge?

Well, the Japanese begin with two more solid CVs, a much better logistical/technical position, and more CVs being completed throughout 1942. Plus more troops available for the assault on Malaya. My intention was for it to even out.