Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.
Does DMG Up affect the amount of damage done by popping Sin Hearts? I was on a really nice run with ??? and had like 7 bars of damage, and my Sin Hearts were one-shotting everything but bosses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry
They always do 40 damage, that's enough to one shot most everything but bosses.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.

TheModernAmerican posted:

They always do 40 damage, that's enough to one shot most everything but bosses.

Even in the Womb? I've seen them do damage, but not just boom, gone.

Either way, getting the D6 is going to be the death of me. I am so bad at this game.

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

In one moment, Earth; in the next, Heaven.

gamingCaffeinator posted:

Even in the Womb? I've seen them do damage, but not just boom, gone.

Either way, getting the D6 is going to be the death of me. I am so bad at this game.

I got the D6 just last night because the game wanted me to have it, I think. By the end I had Gnawed Leaf & Daddy Long Legs plus a ball o bandages so winning was basically assured all it took was some patience

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

gamingCaffeinator posted:

Does DMG Up affect the amount of damage done by popping Sin Hearts? I was on a really nice run with ??? and had like 7 bars of damage, and my Sin Hearts were one-shotting everything but bosses.

You know what I realized it DOES affect? Spiders. After a few damage/tears up, Mom's Wig decimated everything just now on my first run to fighting ??? in the Chest.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

strangemusic posted:

You know what I realized it DOES affect? Spiders. After a few damage/tears up, Mom's Wig decimated everything just now on my first run to fighting ??? in the Chest.

This is why Guppy is so important. Always look in Curse rooms, always try to open gold chests. If you get Guppy's Tail and Guppy's Head, then swap the tail for the paw, you basically win that round. Keep Guppy's Head so that you always have flies on hand, and you'll always win. If you have high damage, killing enemies gets you super strong flies. If you have high tears, you get a billion flies. It ends up a constant ring of flies surrounding your head, which can be boosted even further with the "flies = double damage" item in shops.

Guppy is insanely overpowered, and there's actually a few times when I have to hold back on rushing to it just so that I can have an average round every once in a while

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I just played Azazel today for the first time in a while. Did he always lose the charge on his Brimstone style shot between rooms or is that new? Possibly a bug?

Crummelhorn
Nov 3, 2010
It's a bug introduced in the new patch. Happens to everyone with charged tears.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

And at least with Brimstone it seems to not do any damage. Although, antigrav tears and brimstone still work fine, as does chocolate milk.

Actually I gained new respect for Antigrav plus Brimstone. Normally antigrav is pretty annoying but with Brimstone it becomes extremely good - you can keep charging and firing. I got 4 beams going at once, which melts just about anything.

Mental Midget
Apr 18, 2005

We're glad you could play SQIV. As usual, you've been a real pantload.
Had an awesome Samson run today that ended with a killer combination in The Chest - Undefined, Guppy's Tail and the lockpick trinket. I ended up being able to open up about 45 golden chests before the end of the run. Tiny Planet/My Reflection/Lump of Coal makes tears that hang in the air in a circle around you and gradually grow bigger for about 10 full seconds.

Sebbe
Feb 29, 2004

So, I just had two consecutive runs, where I got first a level 4 bandage girl (already had that achievement), and then a level 4 meat boy. No cheesing needed.

:dealwithit:

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Where the hell does MissingNo actually spawn? The wiki says it's a secret room item, but I've been rerolling all day to get Transcendence and the Skeleton Key and haven't seen it. Also saw someone mention finding it in an I Am Error room and that seems to make more sense.

Should I keep doing secret room reroll runs, or should I reset for Undefined and hope for the best?

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I first found it as a Boss Rush item, which I think draws from every pool, if not most of them. But yeah, it can be found in the Secret Room, so keep at it.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

ChibiSoma posted:

Where the hell does MissingNo actually spawn? The wiki says it's a secret room item, but I've been rerolling all day to get Transcendence and the Skeleton Key and haven't seen it. Also saw someone mention finding it in an I Am Error room and that seems to make more sense.

Should I keep doing secret room reroll runs, or should I reset for Undefined and hope for the best?

I found it in a secret room. Just keep at it.

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!
Holy crap I actually got Meat Boy as a natural occurrence :smug:

The seed is VHP8 DG30. Book of Revelations in a book room in one of the basements, plus Basement one gives Polyphemus, a Pentagram from the boss and a Cricket's Head in a chest under one of those rocks with an X on it. Not long after I hit an Odd Mushroom too even with Maggie my damage is awesome. There's a Goat Head in one of the Caves so you can get enough Angel Rooms to get a key if you want (kind of regretting not doing that seeing as Womb I Devil deal just gave me Abaddon too).

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Prokhor posted:

I got the D6 just last night because the game wanted me to have it, I think. By the end I had Gnawed Leaf & Daddy Long Legs plus a ball o bandages so winning was basically assured all it took was some patience

I had to look up what the gnawed leaf item does. Nice combination.

Crummelhorn posted:

It's a bug introduced in the new patch. Happens to everyone with charged tears.

Ah, so it's not just me that's having that problem. I know he's easy mode, but it still makes a big difference not being able to charge up before changing rooms.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Maybe they did something to make Meat Boys more likely.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Question - if you're doing a blindfolded challenge (specifically Solar System) and have Guppy's Head + Hairball and pick up the Collar for a Guppy transformation, do you get any extra flies or anything without the tears? This came up and I can't really tell if I'm just getting Hairball flies + Lord of the Flies flies or any additional ones.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Mental Midget posted:

Had an awesome Samson run today that ended with a killer combination in The Chest - Undefined, Guppy's Tail and the lockpick trinket. I ended up being able to open up about 45 golden chests before the end of the run. Tiny Planet/My Reflection/Lump of Coal makes tears that hang in the air in a circle around you and gradually grow bigger for about 10 full seconds.

Sup buddy who realize how awesome this combo is. Got it myself earlier in the month. It's REALLY strong. Just stand there making a ton of tears and then run around the room letting them crash in to all the enemies.

Power of Pecota posted:

Question - if you're doing a blindfolded challenge (specifically Solar System) and have Guppy's Head + Hairball and pick up the Collar for a Guppy transformation, do you get any extra flies or anything without the tears? This came up and I can't really tell if I'm just getting Hairball flies + Lord of the Flies flies or any additional ones.

If you get familiars or spacebar items that do tear-like attacks, those WILL spawn flies on hits. Guppy transformation synergizes with a huge amount of familiars really well.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Dec 28, 2014

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
My biggest tears yet (note the shadow.) The funny part is I never found polyphemus.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Sanctum posted:

My biggest tears yet (note the shadow.) The funny part is I never found polyphemus.

Best part of the remake.

My biggest so far:

(Pretty sure that's 1 pixel :shepface:)

In unrelated news, did the most recent patch not only screw up secret rooms (in a different way) and charged shots but also window size? I remember it resetting every time at launch, but then they patched it to remember what you set the window size and position to... and now it just resets every time again :confused:

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Skaw posted:

If you get familiars or spacebar items that do tear-like attacks, those WILL spawn flies on hits. Guppy transformation synergizes with a huge amount of familiars really well.

Like a floor or two later I got a double locked Isaac's Room with Sister Maggy under the carpet. Thank god, I dropped to two and a half hearts on Womb II but came back from that hole.

After going through the challenges again (I still need to do Head Trauma, but I've got the other 19 finished on my second save file) I think Solar System requires the most rng help to beat. I don't know anything you can run into on Family Man that's as miserable as trying to clear a 2x2 room of bomb flies with the dumb outer fly.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Your Computer posted:

In unrelated news, did the most recent patch not only screw up secret rooms (in a different way) and charged shots but also window size? I remember it resetting every time at launch, but then they patched it to remember what you set the window size and position to... and now it just resets every time again :confused:

Yeah, mine doesn't remember the screen settings either.

If anyone is interested in a crazy fly- and spider-filled run, I just beat The Chest with ??? on hard with BDHR N233. I bought an early Hive Mind hoping to get some orbitals, and ended up with Guppy's Head and Infestation 2. Thanks to The Relic supplying me with soul hearts I didn't mind trading a ton of them in at the Devil rooms for goodies. Those bugs wrecked everything when I had a full posse of them, but in the Chest things took a bit of skill as I ran out of little monsters to build up the gang. Thankfully the ??? fight spawns lots of flies and they did a lot of the work for me.

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!
I had a run the other day where I had Brimstone, transformed into Guppy and got Infestation 2 in the Boss Rush. I noticed that anything flies kill become spiders but not vice versa. Still, Brimstone makes a crapload of flies so you only really needed to fire once every few rooms and let the pets do the rest.

Toothache
Apr 5, 2011

Platypus = God's beta testing animal
Seems to be a day for me where Curse of the Blind basically ruins my Eden runs right near the end. Had a nice Ipecac run, which was basically guaranteed to finish the Chest, except the first room gave me Cricket's Body + Loki's Horns, basically ended up wearing my health down before I could even reach the boss. Second was a Soy Milk + Technology run, which was doing nicely for me, until again I hit the Chest and ended up with Mom's Knife and Isaac's Heart, ruining my damage and being unable to protect myself.

Icing on the cake was the most recent run. Started off fairly normal, got Little Steve, Proptosis, Guppy's Head, Lump of Coal, then I got Curse of the Blind, meaning I picked up Tiny Planet. Still, on the upside I was rolling in pick ups thanks to a Black Market find, giving me Mom's Key, Fanny Pack, Little Baggy, and Mom's Purse, and earlier I got the Contract from Below and Humbleing Bundle, so my consumables were basically overflowing. Best thing to top it all off was the Pay to Play, backed up by Bloody Lust. Curse of the Blind came at me again in the Dark Room, giving me Bob's Brain and helping me ruin such a great run, finishing off with a death to the infamous double Adversary room.

Starting to have some respect for Tiny Planet, though, it can lead to some great stuff with the right things backing it up.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Pez posted:

I had a run the other day where I had Brimstone, transformed into Guppy and got Infestation 2 in the Boss Rush. I noticed that anything flies kill become spiders but not vice versa. Still, Brimstone makes a crapload of flies so you only really needed to fire once every few rooms and let the pets do the rest.

If spiders created more spiders you would never run out of them, until your CPU eventually exploded.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
I've been playing a lot of Isaac over Christmas break.

I just had a nail-biter of a Mega Satan win. I was playing Eden and started with the Pinking Shears, and I was using that to trivialize all the level bosses. I had good damage and Lord of the Flies mode going. The Dark Room had eaten through most of my health, and despite having Humbling Bundle I only got a few half-heart drops all level. Mega Satan himself can't be hurt by the Pinking Shears spawn, since his head hovers above the edge of the "ground", but little headless Isaac was able to make quick work of all the adds. I got down to my last half-heart, hanging out near the bottom, spraying blindly up towards the boss and hoping the bullet slowdown from Little Gish would keep all the bullets under control.

Bless the fact that slowing a monster also slows their bullets. Huge force multiplier.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

Pez posted:

Infestation works on monster death and guppy works on tears connecting with an enemy, so that's why it's only one way. Also what gromit said, by having them work in slightly different ways it stops infinite loops of fly/spider generation.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Jibo posted:

Yeah this. With the controller you have to press A to skip which makes you shoot down, but not anymore.

I use a controller and you can press start to skip while also holding down shots.

Ghost Head
Sep 16, 2008
Not sure if i missed this earlier in the thread, but does someone have a link to a 100% save file? I've now unlocked everything that I think is reasonable (full post it notes for non-lost characters, about 3/4 of the challenges) and now I just want the rest of the items. I'm not going to waste my time trying to beat everything with the lost or grind out these loving retarded challenges and the meat boy/bandage girl achievements. The remaining unlocks are loving retarded and I have no desire to waste my time on them. They are the one sore spot on an otherwise pretty good game.

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006
Not to be confused with endash or minus.
Here is a fully unlocked save http://www.speedrun.com/isaacrebirth/resources
The instructions in the readme are out of date, you have to put it in a place inside the steam folder now

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

kemikalkadet posted:

Infestation works on monster death and guppy works on tears connecting with an enemy, so that's why it's only one way. Also what gromit said, by having them work in slightly different ways it stops infinite loops of fly/spider generation.

Mulligan/Guppy also works on familiar tears. Mongo Baby in particular is lovely with those items with its faster fire rate. But robo baby is the king.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Dec 29, 2014

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Anyone just get a patch?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Nothing too big, just some more bug fixes.

1.041 posted:

Fix auto release of fire button after room transition
Fix secret room placement
Fix heart pickup distribution for local co-op

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream
Window placement/size is properly saved again, as well.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
That shadow on the giant tear picture is not the tears shadow, but an overlay present in the chest (isaac looking into the chest? Mom?)

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Also for that on guy who asked how to win at isaac.
You have to have in mind the quirks of many mechanics, like entering rooms from secret rooms, when to abuse stuff like bombs are key, cards, bombing donation machines and also the.shopkeeper at once.

But easily the most important thing is finding soul hearts, since they dont count as red.heart damage. not getting red heart damage on a.floor significantly raises your chance at a devil deal, and beating the boss without red heart damage raises it even further.

Tldr get soul hearts early, play smart

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

ArfJason posted:

Also for that on guy who asked how to win at isaac.
You have to have in mind the quirks of many mechanics, like entering rooms from secret rooms, when to abuse stuff like bombs are key, cards, bombing donation machines and also the.shopkeeper at once.

But easily the most important thing is finding soul hearts, since they dont count as red.heart damage. not getting red heart damage on a.floor significantly raises your chance at a devil deal, and beating the boss without red heart damage raises it even further.

Tldr get soul hearts early, play smart

On the first floor, do not pick up any soul hearts or black hearts until you are ready to go down to the next floor (beaten boss, used cursed rooms, etc). You can't get a deal with the devil on the first floor, so you are best served by protecting your red hearts after you have clear the first floor. Also, you are some what likely to pick up some red hearts if you took any damage on the first floor.

Huge Lady Pleaser
Jun 17, 2005

hello how r u doing im just looking for ppl 2 chill wit relax go out n have funn if ur looking for da same thing hit me up
Nap Ghost
It's been mentioned before, but it's worth restating that you should enter curse rooms when they spawn. The damage you get from entering doesn't count against devil deals and more often than not the room will contain worthwhile items.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Sacrifice rooms (the ones with the spikes in the middle) on the other hand are almost never worth it. I can't really think of too many situations where you would want to make use of those.