Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

corn in the bible posted:

that game is really great. the developer also made a Mystery Dungeon which is a hell of a thing to make in rpg maker https://www.rpgmaker.net/games/4395/

i keep meaning to do an LP or something to show IMTS off because I liked it a lot

Is there a way to download this without going through the hilariously slow RPGmaker.net website? It's giving me an estimate of 10 hours for the 250mb game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

:agreed: Infinite Space is my favorite nintendo ds game. If you got a mood for a space opera and let it take you in you will be rewarded.

it's also one of the most expensive DS games.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

I just got a DS

What should I play (I already played and beat Devil Survivor)

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

ZenVulgarity posted:

I just got a DS

The World Ends with You is an RPG right? Cause that's my recommendation.

That and Chrono Trigger.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

ZenVulgarity posted:

I just got a DS

Okay now play Devil Survivor 2 we'll wait

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Heavy neutrino posted:

Is there a way to download this without going through the hilariously slow RPGmaker.net website? It's giving me an estimate of 10 hours for the 250mb game.

considering his website links to the rpgmaker site for downloads, i guess not. but i've never gotten speeds quite that bad there myself, so that's weird.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Heavy neutrino posted:

Okay now play Devil Survivor 2 we'll wait

I heard its much better and I really liked one.

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Exhibition C: Colgate white smile
In terms of story, I'd say Devil Survivor 1 is better. Devil Survivor 2, on the other hand, does a much better job at its gameplay and characters.

1-600-DOCTORB
Nov 29, 2004

Side effects may include gopherism, multi-brow, and tracheal meerkat colonies
Pillbug

Heavy neutrino posted:

Sorry you're having trouble; RMN has been slow to load lately. I went ahead and put up a copy in my hosting for you if you still need it.

e: *zap*

I'll be out for most of the day, so I'll remove those downloads when I get back to the hotel tonight so my web hosting doesn't implode.

Thanks for checking this stuff out, thread! I have been lurking for ages but I am far too shy to post regularly.

1-600-DOCTORB fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Dec 28, 2014

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

So far Dragonfall is feeling just as much fantasy as sci-fi, but thanks to the thread for recommending it. It's so very different to anything I've played before. The writing seems excellent, and the inclusion of stuff that isn't dialogue in that writing makes it feel different to games that are presented cinematically (in particular, it's a fantastic way to compensate for, and in some ways surpass, not having voice acting). I also enjoy that it's a SRPG that isn't 100% battles (I've never really enjoyed Japanese SRPGs because they seem to just consist of battles and cutscenes, and lack the exploration of typical RPGs).

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

ZenVulgarity posted:

The story in DeSu2 is basically bad evangelion fanfiction. Mechanically it's better for the most part, but there's some really bad quirks like getting locked down because your turn gets pushed back for entering combat now (even if you can't attack back due to evil/chaos wave).

Play TWEWY instead.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
Dragon's Dogma is really fun. It has the best customization system in any game I've played and the pawn system is awesome. Decided to make my character a strider because climbing up monsters rules. Is there anything I should be aware of? I'm right after the first hydra battle.

I keep expecting Rook to ask me if I get to the cloud distract very often.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

BloodWulfe posted:

It's not, really, and I put a ton of hours into it because I wanted it to be good. It's slow and plodding and grindy and most of the depth is just an illusion.

BloodWulfe posted:

Septerra Core. And if you can handle clunky old PC RPG design, it's pretty drat fun. I bought it for 0.99 on Steam last month and re-played it (I haven't played it since it first came out). Holds up surprisingly well, all things considered. :)

e:
it went up in price a whole quarter lmao http://store.steampowered.com/app/253940/

e2:
it's not an epic space opera sorta deal like Xenosaga or Star Ocean (or Rogue Galaxy), but it is definitely sci-fi

Septerra Core is about 100 times slower and plodding than Infinite Space is any day of the weak. Septerra Core is pretty much 50 hours of trash slay at bad framerates. It's an epic game, but you better be okay with killing tons and tons of trash as you play.

SC is just one of those games I enjoyed when I was 11. I recently tried to play it again and it was mind boggling how much patience is required to play it now.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Dec 27, 2014

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

1-600-DOCTORB posted:

I'll be out for most of the day, so I'll remove those downloads when I get back to the hotel tonight so my web hosting doesn't implode.

Thanks for checking this stuff out, thread! I have been lurking for ages but I am far too shy to post regularly.

Thanks! I just picked it up off of your upload.

ZenVulgarity posted:

The second game has issues with its writing (it can't really decide on a tone and theme, the story isn't all that compelling), but its mechanics are a lot better and it has some really likeable characters (as well as very poorly-written ones). I disagree with Ibram Gaunt in that I think it's definitely worth playing.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I think Devil Survivor 2 is worse in just every appreciable way than the first game other the new game plus system, but I would still say it's worth playing.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
If you're going to play Devil Survivor 2 anyway, there's not much point in playing it now when the 3DS port is supposed to come out in a few months.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

BoF IV report: got everybody's favorite katana wielding dog, Scias! Also, the Golden Plains are a bunch of bullshit.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Fun Fact about Scias: He was an alcoholic in the JP script, slurring his words and constantly referencing his booze.

They removed all of the references to alcohol and gave him a weird stutter instead of a slur in the translation. That said, the game is still a hundred times better if you imagine that Scias is drunk off his rear end every single time he's on-screen.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BoF4 has the weirdest censorship. I'm not sure why considering how late it came out but it did.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

BoF4 has the weirdest censorship. I'm not sure why considering how late it came out but it did.

Thats additionally weird, since didn't Sony kind of make it a point to be less restrictive on content in US localizations to set themselves apart from Nintendo? I feel like I read that somewhere, but maybe I'm making it up. In any case, this one seems much more tame so far than BoF II was, that game seemed pretty lewd at moments, though maybe thats the fault of the terrible translation.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MockingQuantum posted:

Thats additionally weird, since didn't Sony kind of make it a point to be less restrictive on content in US localizations to set themselves apart from Nintendo? I feel like I read that somewhere, but maybe I'm making it up. In any case, this one seems much more tame so far than BoF II was, that game seemed pretty lewd at moments, though maybe thats the fault of the terrible translation.

There are several major bits of censorship. The booze to slurring is one. A couple are overt violence but even for the time like... there's some poo poo in there which is sort of objectively a lot worse and not censored. There's also a hot springs scene which is not huge loss but sort of weird when stuff like Lunar was advertising itself as having hot spring scenes.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ImpAtom posted:

There are several major bits of censorship. The booze to slurring is one. A couple are overt violence but even for the time like... there's some poo poo in there which is sort of objectively a lot worse and not censored. There's also a hot springs scene which is not huge loss but sort of weird when stuff like Lunar was advertising itself as having hot spring scenes.

Don't forget (spoilered due to it including an as-yet unseen party member) Ursula dropping trou to prove she's a woman to the sailors. What is there that didn't get cut that should've qualified? Can't think of anything off the top of my head.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Don't forget (spoilered due to it including an as-yet unseen party member) Ursula dropping trou to prove she's a woman to the sailors. What is there that didn't get cut that should've qualified? Can't think of anything off the top of my head.

One of the things I can think of is Fou Lu getting Sadness Nuked and coughing up blood afterwards. The entire scene gimmick of it being a cannon powered by torture and murder alone is pretty goddamn uh. Not to mention the stuff with Nina's sister. Just weird that it's totally okay to have that but not a tame decapitation.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Agh this floating platform bullshit in devil summoner just get me to the dang boss already!!!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ImpAtom posted:

One of the things I can think of is Fou Lu getting Sadness Nuked and coughing up blood afterwards. The entire scene gimmick of it being a cannon powered by torture and murder alone is pretty goddamn uh. Not to mention the stuff with Nina's sister. Just weird that it's totally okay to have that but not a tame decapitation.

Ah. The stuff with Nina's sister is completely unavoidable, and takes up hours of content. They couldn't scrub that if they tried without tanking the entire game. The Cannonade sacrifice is never explicitly shown, all we see is Fou-Lu falling over and coughing up a tiny amount of blood with the rest left implied. The Emperor's death is a pretty explicit on-screen decapitation, with his head flying clear off and his decapitated body left on-screen afterwards.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

MockingQuantum posted:

BoF IV report: got everybody's favorite katana wielding dog, Scias!

?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Well after an hour I finally beat the most annoying boss in the whole game with his fuckin stun ball and charm bolts. These bosses aren't actually hard, it's just that in true SMT fashion you can go from full health to wiped out in 2 turns no matter what the encounter is.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
Yo, Abel's Ark is a loving rad dungeon. Looks absolutely incredible and trippy, the music is a nice remix of The One Who Bares Fangs At God, and the ES moves are starting to do absurd damage. I'm so glad I decided to keep going with this game :allears:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I also bought Star Ocean 3 which I understand is an adequate Tri-Ace game and Infinite Undiscovery which I understand is a lovely as gently caress Tri-Ace game. Can't wait to play both :twisted:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Quest For Glory II posted:

I also bought Star Ocean 3 which I understand is an adequate Tri-Ace game and Infinite Undiscovery which I understand is a lovely as gently caress Tri-Ace game. Can't wait to play both :twisted:

Enjoy your terrifying terrible 3D rendered children.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

The resemblance is uncanny.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

Dinner dinner dinner

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Exhibition C: Colgate white smile

ImpAtom posted:

And terrible voice acting. And terrible battle mechanics. And terrible field navigation. And terrible 100% completion.

And awful PLOT TWISTS! :argh:

Variant_Eris fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Dec 28, 2014

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

100% completing games is not really something I do

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
The best part of Star Ocean 3 ends when the launch cinematic is over. It's all downhill from there. gently caress that game and its awful everything.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Quest For Glory II posted:

Dinner dinner dinner
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Smrhjv0qleM

bloodychill posted:

The best part of Star Ocean 3 ends when the launch cinematic is over. It's all downhill from there. gently caress that game and its awful everything.
"Oh man I can't wait to make the best weapons before the end of the first planet"

"Surely I'll be able to make the best weapons before the end of the first disc"

"C'mon game won't you let me at least make the best weapons now that I'm on disc 2"

"Jesus loving christ are you kidding me the best weapons are locked behind a secret dungeon that doesn't appear until after you've beaten the final boss"

It's like, at least put the secret dungeon before the final boss so you can stomp them with your new toys before you see the ending and decide that the game wasn't even worth having played for as long as you did, so gently caress doing the bonus dungeon.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Dec 28, 2014

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

What's the best way to play the first Star Ocean, the PSP remake? I think I might add it to my ever growing RPG backlog.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Smrhjv0qleM

"Oh man I can't wait to make the best weapons before the end of the first planet"

"Surely I'll be able to make the best weapons before the end of the first disc"

"C'mon game won't you let me at least make the best weapons now that I'm on disc 2"

"Jesus loving christ are you kidding me the best weapons are locked behind a secret dungeon that doesn't appear until after you've beaten the final boss"

It's like, at least put the secret dungeon before the final boss so you can stomp them with your new toys before you see the ending and decide that the game wasn't even worth having played for as long as you did, so gently caress doing the bonus dungeon.
why would the game let you make the best weapons before the end of the first disc

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Endorph posted:

why would the game let you make the best weapons before the end of the first disc

In the first Star Ocean game, Ronixis learned broken-rear end death magic that worked on everything, and you could recruit the werewolf dude whose instant death attack not only chain-stunned the target(s because its hitbox was fuckin massive) but procced on every enemy in the game. You could recruit him early by abusing Dragon Breath, and his favorite food was the most common grains item and I think you could buy it almost everywhere, too. Doing stupid exploits is like the lifeblood of Star Ocean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

MockingQuantum posted:

What's the best way to play the first Star Ocean, the PSP remake? I think I might add it to my ever growing RPG backlog.

PSP remake has a lot of changes I do not like at all, including the addition of a painfully bad comic relief character (welch, from so3). also the cgi backdrops look terrible

snes version is better unless you really, really liked star ocean 2, which is what the remake is based on.