Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
For future reference you can just use Logical Increments when you order parts to build a computer. No having to guess whether or not this processor will fit in that case.

Then when you build it use Ninite to re-install all your major programs with one installer and no mussing with toolbars or special offers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Sleeveless posted:

For future reference you can just use Logical Increments when you order parts to build a computer. No having to guess whether or not this processor will fit in that case.

Then when you build it use Ninite to re-install all your major programs with one installer and no mussing with toolbars or special offers.
What, no Fractal Design cases? gently caress that.

metricchip
Jul 16, 2014

Sleeveless posted:

Words of wisdom. Logical Increments is a beautiful piece of art.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

chumbler posted:

This is going to sound incredibly stupid, but did you remember to put your memory in? I forgot to do that the first time I built a computer.

RAM's in. That's not the problem.

I'm seriously going out of my loving mind here. I saved up cash the entire year for this, and it won't loving work for some reason.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Giantbomb GotY stuff even funnier than last year, probably saying that 'cause today was Vinnie's turn

Watch it on Youtube

Ahundredbux fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Dec 27, 2014

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

SunAndSpring posted:

I'm seriously going out of my loving mind here. I saved up cash the entire year for this, and it won't loving work for some reason.

Reduce your build to its most essential components to see if that works.

If you just have PSU, mobo, CPU and RAM that should get you something at the boot screen level. Have as little RAM as your system will support (e.g. 1 stick of RAM if the system will boot with that, and if that doesn't work try the other stick).

Did your motherboard come with a speaker (a little round doohicky with two wires coming out of it, possibly going to a weird 4-hole connector with the wires at either extreme)? Find where that goes on the motherboard and hook that up, some issues that don't give you something on screen will beep a sort of morse code error you can then look up online based on your mobo model. There could be other things, like lights or even a number display on the mobo that goes through a sequence; if it freezes somehow that tells you (again by looking up your mobo model) where in the boot process it's failing which can help you troubleshoot.

If you get something on screen, turn off, hook up the hard drive and turn back on. If it's detected then try installing the video card (again, turn off first), and work your way up from there.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

SunAndSpring posted:

have you tried every possible display output on the machine? different monitor? checked the monitor on another system? is the video card seated correctly? is the ram seated correctly? does your motherboard only like certain physical configurations of ram (certain slots must be used for certain numbers of sticks etc), have you plugged in all of the required power connectors? are they properly seated? have you checked that the PSU is set to the correct voltage for your country? is the CPU properly seated and locked down? have you tried cutting down to the minimum number of ram sticks your motherboard will support? have you done that with the GPU taken out and using only the onboard graphics?

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
did u plug the graphics card into the power supply

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Well, unplugged the GPU and it seems the mobo and CPU work. That's reassuring, at least. I guess I need to buy a good monitor now and see if the GPU works.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

THE PENETRATOR posted:

Beting this is it

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

THE PENETRATOR posted:

This might actually be the problem

I too am a bit of an idiot and didn't realize the 770 requires two connections. Just plugged the one in, didn't work.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Ahundredbux posted:

Beting this is it

Nope, just need a better monitor. I was planning on using some janky pre-HD one my parents had until next month, but I'm just gonna give up and get a 1080p one now. Don't even know why I didn't get one from the beginning. Sorry for being really annoying :(

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
So you got it to work with another monitor

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Was it another monitor, or did you unplug the video card and use the same monitor with the builtin graphics, or both?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

So if I wanted some advice for what console to buy for my specific wants/needs would this be the right place to ask or is there another thread?

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

STAC Goat posted:

So if I wanted some advice for what console to buy for my specific wants/needs would this be the right place to ask or is there another thread?

buy the one that has the games you want to play

there you go

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

STAC Goat posted:

the best console to get is the one you can play with friends.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
Xbone - bad games designed for loser shut-ins
PS4 - good games designed for loser shut-ins
WiiU - great games for winners with lots of friends
PC - :ssj:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

see you tomorrow posted:

buy the one that has the games you want to play

there you go

Yeah, I'm on that track more than you realize. I've just got a handful of questions I'd like to find answers to so I don't blow money.

Basically? I'm a super casual gamer. Like, I own a PS2 and a Wii. I play sports games that I can do dynasties with for years. Then every couple of weeks I go to GameStop, buy some used games, and blow my weekend on the cheap. So my family bought me a refurbished XBox 360 for Christmas because they remembered me mentioning at some point that the PS2 was basically dead as far as new games or used games being available at GameStop so I had mentioned I'd have to buy a new (old) system eventually. So they did, which was nice.

But the problem is XBox doesn't have MLB The Show, which is my #1 want. So I'm returning it and I'm going to get a Playstation. But I'm not exactly sure what.

1) I know the PS3 is last gen but is it expected to stay at least supported for awhile or will it be killed off like the PS2 was a year or so ago? I just want to make sure I have a little time to take advantage of GameStop and stuff. Although I can probably go to GameStop and ask that question.

2) Does the size really matter? I know I shouldn't skimp and I probably need some room for the sports dynasties but is there a major gap between 250 GB and 500 GB if I'm not a super active gamer who is going to be doing all kinds of online stuff and whatever?

3) Is the online stuff necessary in any significant way? Can I just opt out of that stuff like I mostly do with the Wii and play the games I physically own and occassionaly purchase online (I don't know if Playstation has something like the Wii Virtual Console, but whatever)?

4) Is a price drop expected soon for last generation consoles? Should I maybe wait a month or is that just a crapshoot?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, I'm on that track more than you realize. I've just got a handful of questions I'd like to find answers to so I don't blow money.

Basically? I'm a super casual gamer. Like, I own a PS2 and a Wii. I play sports games that I can do dynasties with for years. Then every couple of weeks I go to GameStop, buy some used games, and blow my weekend on the cheap. So my family bought me a refurbished XBox 360 for Christmas because they remembered me mentioning at some point that the PS2 was basically dead as far as new games or used games being available at GameStop so I had mentioned I'd have to buy a new (old) system eventually. So they did, which was nice.

But the problem is XBox doesn't have MLB The Show, which is my #1 want. So I'm returning it and I'm going to get a Playstation. But I'm not exactly sure what.

1) I know the PS3 is last gen but is it expected to stay at least supported for awhile or will it be killed off like the PS2 was a year or so ago? I just want to make sure I have a little time to take advantage of GameStop and stuff. Although I can probably go to GameStop and ask that question.

2) Does the size really matter? I know I shouldn't skimp and I probably need some room for the sports dynasties but is there a major gap between 250 GB and 500 GB if I'm not a super active gamer who is going to be doing all kinds of online stuff and whatever?

3) Is the online stuff necessary in any significant way? Can I just opt out of that stuff like I mostly do with the Wii and play the games I physically own and occassionaly purchase online (I don't know if Playstation has something like the Wii Virtual Console, but whatever)?

4) Is a price drop expected soon for last generation consoles? Should I maybe wait a month or is that just a crapshoot?
1. I wasn't super impressed by the PS3's game selection. If you skipped a generation, the Wii U is backwards compatible and so you'll get two generations of games.

2. No.

3. No.

4. They've already dropped, IDK if they'll drop further.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
with the sony consoles (ps3 and ps4) you can put your own hard drives in. so space is no worry.

with the xbone you can use usb3 external hard drives to install games to. so hard drive space is no worry but dongle space could be.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

FactsAreUseless posted:

1. I wasn't super impressed by the PS3's game selection. If you skipped a generation, the Wii U is backwards compatible and so you'll get two generations of games.

I was always really disappointed by the gameplay, controller stuff, and graphics of the non-specific Wii games compared to their PS/XBox alternatives. Has that gap been sufficiently covered with the Wii U? Because backwards compatibility as well as access to the Zelda/Mario games would be great if the Wii U is also good of the mainstream stuff like the 2K, Batman Arkham, whatever.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
there are no alternatives to mario, zelda, smash, no more heroes, bayonetta 2, etc.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
PS3 has Uncharted series, Metal Gear Solid 4, Metal Gear Solid HD Collection (also on 360 admittedly). Shadow of the Colossus HD. Demon Souls I guess, I never played it. Consoles remain the only way to play Red Dead Redemption.

Xbox 360 has Halo: Reach, Lost Odyssey which seemed cool. It also has DBZ Burst Limit 2 if you're into that kinda thing. That's all I can come up with.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I dont know where else to ask this but where do I find the god drat Media Player on a brand new Xbox One

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
use your kinect voice commands

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I dont know what that is, can you tell me how to find it using the Xbox controller

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

PS3 has Uncharted series, Metal Gear Solid 4, Metal Gear Solid HD Collection (also on 360 admittedly). Shadow of the Colossus HD. Demon Souls I guess, I never played it. Consoles remain the only way to play Red Dead Redemption.

worth noting but only of relevance to hyper specific needs is that PS3 has no region lock of any description, this is fabulous if you're the kind of nerd who will actually import games like me. Xbox 360 region lock varies on a game by game basis iirc and I think that like..outside of a few CAVE shmups you're poo poo out of luck.

ps3 also inexplicably plays ps1 games but not ps2 games.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Pron on VHS posted:

I dont know what that is, can you tell me how to find it using the Xbox controller

shout: xbox, turn off

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

worth noting but only of relevance to hyper specific needs is that PS3 has no region lock of any description, this is fabulous if you're the kind of nerd who will actually import games like me. Xbox 360 region lock varies on a game by game basis iirc and I think that like..outside of a few CAVE shmups you're poo poo out of luck.

ps3 also inexplicably plays ps1 games but not ps2 games.

the software required to emulate ps1 games is basically a small program and a tiny chip.

to emulate ps2 games you'd need the original fat 60gb model as they had an actual PS2 built inside them. it was more cost effective to discontinue that model

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

VideoGames posted:

the software required to emulate ps1 games is basically a small program and a tiny chip.

to emulate ps2 games you'd need the original fat 60gb model as they had an actual PS2 built inside them. it was more cost effective to discontinue that model
I just want a PS2 emulator on my phone.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

FactsAreUseless posted:

I just want a PS2 emulator on my phone.

PSP emulation is pretty solid on Android and a good number of PS2 classics got PSP ports.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Sleeveless posted:

PSP emulation is pretty solid on Android and a good number of PS2 classics got PSP ports.
Shadow Hearts 1 and 2, FFX, FFXII, and the international versions of both of those, the Jak series, the Ratchet and Clank series, there's tons of games I would want.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I really appreciate the responses, folks. Here's my takeaway.

So I'm definitely going to get a Wii U eventually for the standard Nintendo exclusives but right now I still think I'm going with a PS since I'm interested in the 2K games, MLB The Show, and some third party games I never played. At least after I take a trip to GameStop and make sure they still have a solid used collection I can shop from.

I see GameStop.com selling a refurbished 40 GB PS3 with Splinter Cell Blacklist, Prototype 2, God of War: Ascension, Dead Island Riptide, and Yulba: Ninja Gaiden Z for $160 and this looks like a good purchase to me. Ascension is one of the key games I had in mind and the other ones seem like the sort of games I'd blow a weekend on even if they're not great. Is 40 GB enough space to start without worrying about adding a hard drive?

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
you arent going to be installing any games except metal gear solid 4 to your ps3 so the hard drive size doesn't matter

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

FactsAreUseless posted:

Shadow Hearts 1 and 2, FFX, FFXII, and the international versions of both of those, the Jak series, the Ratchet and Clank series, there's tons of games I would want.

I agree! I just meant that as a stopgap for the time being, stripped-down PSP ports are a better bet for phones than tryng full-blown PS2 emulation.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Sleeveless posted:

I agree! I just meant that as a stopgap for the time being, stripped-down PSP ports are a better bet for phones than tryng full-blown PS2 emulation.
The only PSP games i tried to run (Tactics Ogre: LUCT and FF Tactics) ran like poo poo, so I don't think my phone likes PSPPP.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

THE PENETRATOR posted:

you arent going to be installing any games except metal gear solid 4 to your ps3 so the hard drive size doesn't matter

Thanks. That's the sort of thing I was trying to figure out. I don't intend to use it for music or movies or anything so I figured I didn't need a lot of space. But I didn't know if the games demand installing something or whatever or if I really just needed that space for game saves.

If I can pick this up on the cheap for the upgraded sports stuff and just play some of the PS3 games I missed on the cheap that's all I'm really looking for right now. Down the line I'll probably look into trading in my Wii and upgrading to a Wii U for the Mario/Zelda/Smash Bros stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
PS3 has Journey

• Locked thread