Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CrowsNestMutineer
Mar 9, 2009

* Juciano makes the best damned Caesar dressing I've ever tasted in my life.

Not My Leg posted:

Worst Label

Things you can blame on Bergdahl. Deserting his post, Obama's decision to do a prisoner exchange, Obama's decision to not involve Congress, and Ross Gosse.

This has to win. Hilariously awkward, inappropriate, shoehorned-in labels are a dime a dozen, but this somehow loses sight of what a label is even supposed to do. It's downright transcendent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spooky Hyena
May 2, 2014

Choosing to benefit from an empire of murder and genocide makes you complicit.
:scotland:
lol, nice meltdown
Worst Middle East Cartoon

Worst Police Brutality Cartoon

Worst Torture Report Cartoon

Worst The Interview Cartoon

Worst cartoon about a tragedy

Worst caricature

Worst "A Thing Happened" cartoon

Worst Label

Least concealed bigotry in a cartoon

Laziest cartoon

Most easily reinterpreted

Overall worst political cartoon of the year

Best edit/parody

He didn't sign it, so forums user Reo is the one responsible for that edit.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Spooky Hyena posted:

This seems pretty JRRose!-ey. What's offensive about this? Isn't it just a "news item"?

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

This seems pretty JRRose!-ey. What's offensive about this? Isn't it just a "news item"?

Romania and Bulgaria entered the free movement agreement this year, and various newspapers began screaming about hordes of unwashed filthy immigrants entering England. Romians and Bulgarians did not immediately swarm Great Britain, and various papers reporting on 800,000 BULGAMANIANS neglected to point out that a) those 800,000 have been here for years already, b) they are, on average, higher qualified than native Britons, and c) should they be removed the NHS would immediately collapse, as the numbers of eastern-european doctors and nurses is well above what we could tolerate losing in a space of years. Once these articles had begun emerging, many more appeared about Romanian and Bulgarian professionals reporting hostility and racism while they attempted to treat patients, or go about their normal businesses.

Portsmouth is a coastal town that combines loving absurdly high property prices with a strong working-class and immigrant population base. As such, it is a Tory/Ukip area of contention and xenophobic divide.

It's literally saying "the swarm of filthy benefit scrounging foreigners are taking our jobs and voting us good white people out!". It's the Obama mexican voter army thing.

It does seem to need some context, but it's definitely a hateful piece of racebait. It becomes much clearer when you realise the worthless hack cartoonist draws all Romanians and generic Eastern Europeans as unwashed gypsy scroungers, something Romania in particular has a huge problem with (because they too hate Roma people).

Spooky Hyena
May 2, 2014

Choosing to benefit from an empire of murder and genocide makes you complicit.
:scotland:
lol, nice meltdown

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

I might have taken the category title too literally. I don't think it's the most racist, that'd be the Brown one probably, but it's the one where the racism isn't concealed at all. The other racist comics are mostly hiding behind paper-thin excuses like looting and "black on black crime", but that one pretty much just translates to "there's too many Romanians round here".

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
This has probably come up in one of this thread's previous iterations, but is there any guideline for what qualifies as an "A Thing Happened" cartoon? I feel like I understand what the term means, and yet I can't figure out a way to put it into words.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

This has probably come up in one of this thread's previous iterations, but is there any guideline for what qualifies as an "A Thing Happened" cartoon? I feel like I understand what the term means, and yet I can't figure out a way to put it into words.

From my understanding, it's a cartoon where the premise revolves around something that relatively recently happened in pop culture that isn't strictly related to politics on its' own.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Regalingualius posted:

From my understanding, it's a cartoon where the premise revolves around something that relatively recently happened in pop culture that isn't strictly related to politics on its' own.

Also, "A Thing Happened" cartoon should offer no insight into the significance of the Thing that Happened or the reasons behind it.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Selachian posted:

Also, "A Thing Happened" cartoon should offer no insight into the significance of the Thing that Happened or the reasons behind it.

This nails it. Think of the Miley twerking business. A thing happened cartoon would just show off a caricature of twerking Miley. They'd completely miss culture appropriation as being a problem.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Spangly A posted:

Romania and Bulgaria entered the free movement agreement this year, and various newspapers began screaming about hordes of unwashed filthy immigrants entering England. Romians and Bulgarians did not immediately swarm Great Britain, and various papers reporting on 800,000 BULGAMANIANS neglected to point out that a) those 800,000 have been here for years already, b) they are, on average, higher qualified than native Britons, and c) should they be removed the NHS would immediately collapse, as the numbers of eastern-european doctors and nurses is well above what we could tolerate losing in a space of years. Once these articles had begun emerging, many more appeared about Romanian and Bulgarian professionals reporting hostility and racism while they attempted to treat patients, or go about their normal businesses.

Portsmouth is a coastal town that combines loving absurdly high property prices with a strong working-class and immigrant population base. As such, it is a Tory/Ukip area of contention and xenophobic divide.

It's literally saying "the swarm of filthy benefit scrounging foreigners are taking our jobs and voting us good white people out!". It's the Obama mexican voter army thing.

It does seem to need some context, but it's definitely a hateful piece of racebait. It becomes much clearer when you realise the worthless hack cartoonist draws all Romanians and generic Eastern Europeans as unwashed gypsy scroungers, something Romania in particular has a huge problem with (because they too hate Roma people).

From what I remember that cartoonists has a habit of drawing Scots as drunk and hairy tramps wearing tartan and wallowing in the gutters, really just a terrible all around person.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

IslamoNazi posted:

This nails it. Think of the Miley twerking business. A thing happened cartoon would just show off a caricature of twerking Miley. They'd completely miss culture appropriation as being a problem.

Hmm, so I guess those 7 identical cartoons all from different cartoonists of that ship stuck in the ice don't count them? They were so incredibly inane that they deserve to be nominated for something.

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Genpei Turtle posted:

Hmm, so I guess those 7 identical cartoons all from different cartoonists of that ship stuck in the ice don't count them? They were so incredibly inane that they deserve to be nominated for something.

You could probably nominate them as a block for Laziest Cartoon.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Nameless_Steve posted:

Wait where is the concealment here?

Edit:
Best edit

Laziest Cartoon

:psyduck:

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Dec 24, 2014

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Haschel Cedricson posted:

You could probably nominate them as a block for Laziest Cartoon.

I've got you covered:

Editing that into my first post, too.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

VitalSigns posted:

Wait where is the concealment here?

I take "concealment" for the purpose of the award to basically mean "I'm not racist, but..."

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!
Those "ship stuck in ice where's your global warming now!?" cartoons are inane and dumb as gently caress, but I don't think they reallly get at the heart of what "A Thing Happened" truly is. They're idiotic jabs at an ideology, so they actually stand for something,

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Cape Cod Crab Chip posted:

Those "ship stuck in ice where's your global warming now!?" cartoons are inane and dumb as gently caress, but I don't think they reallly get at the heart of what "A Thing Happened" truly is. They're idiotic jabs at an ideology, so they actually stand for something,

A better example would be this one.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Cape Cod Crab Chip posted:

They're not for A Thing Happened, they're together as a bloc for Laziest Cartoon. Seven cartoonists independently made identical cartoons with identical artwork. It's a different sort of laziness than Gorrel's "I'll draw a cartoon about not drawing a cartoon" shtick, but I think it deserves a nod anyway

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008
Yeah, I think "A Thing Happened" is all about a cartoon being a complete non-statement, devoid of commentary or, as Selachian put it, insight or significance.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Literally summer happened. Also I got old and kids suck now adays.

There are so many to choose from this year.

So, so many. :smith:

Best edit/parody

by zeroprime

World Famous W fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Dec 24, 2014

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Whoops, hit Reply instead of Edit. I've changed my Best Edit nomination to a recent contender.

Saint Isaias Boner fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Dec 27, 2014

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Gilganixon posted:

Whoops, hit Reply instead of Edit. I've changed my Best Edit nomination to a recent contender.

Was the best edit the edit to this post? Because it was pretty good.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

The edit I nominated is better than anything related to my (generally shameful) posting:

Rorus Raz posted:

We're McCoy and McCoy
Ignorance and scorn
We used our art to mock the gays
and torment the for-lorn
We specialized in bigotry
Spreading fear and doubt
And if the facts did not line up
we simply threw them out

:wal: "There was the year we mocked an entire town of black people!"
:stat:"I remember them all standing on the streets."
:wal: "With their frostbitten protest signs!"
:wal: :stat: "DOH HO HO HO HO HO!"

We're McCoy and McCoy
Our arts were cold and dead
We should have known our evil toons
would put us both in ed-its
Copy, paste, we're photoshopped
taunted on each date
As respect comes from giving love
Derision comes from hate

"But my friends, you did not hate cartooning."
:wal: "True, there was something about cartooning we loved."
:stat: "I think it was our paychecks!"
:wal: :stat: "DOH HO HO HO HO HO!"

We're McCoy and McCoy
Whoooooooooooooa
We're McCoy and McCoy
Whoooooooooooooa

Doomed, Payne!
You're doomed for all time!
Your career is a horror story
painted by your crime!
Your 'shops are forged
by what you draw and do!
So have your fun
when life is done
a donkey waits for you!

"Why these terrible edits?"
:wal: "Oooooh, the edits."
:stat:" We made these edits in life by our arts of hate."
:wal: "You bear such an edit yourself."
"Humbug, speak comfort to me friends."

:wal:" You will be haunted by three artists."
"Haunted? I've already had enough of that.
:stat:" Without these visits you can not hope to avoid the past we tread."
:wal:" Expect the first one tonight, when the bell tolls one!"
"Can't I meet them all at once and get it over with?"
:stat: "When the bell tolls ooooooone..."

We're McCoy and McCoy
Whoooooooooooooa
We're McCoy and McCoy
Whoooooooooooooa
We're McCoy and McCoy
Whoooooooooooooa
We're McCoy and McCoy
Whoooooooooooooa
We're McCoy and McCoy
Whoooooooooooooa
Change!

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

Gilganixon posted:

The edit I nominated is better than anything related to my (generally shameful) posting:

Oh my God. If this doesn't win the edits award, I think we might need a new category just for songs.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Worst The Interview Cartoon
Worst cartoon about a tragedy
Worst caricature
Worst Label

Just thought I'd nominate something not-Ferguson because yea, Ferguson/Garner/etc is totally going to sweep it and with good cause.
Laziest cartoon

Just because he was STILL DOING THIS AWFUL JOKE through Christmas

All yours, Ramirez.

Best edit/parody

...well it was the best for me, because I had to deal with these asshats as part of my chosen profession and the catharsis was much needed.

Rebochan fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Dec 28, 2014

CrowsNestMutineer
Mar 9, 2009

* Juciano makes the best damned Caesar dressing I've ever tasted in my life.

So... Muslim women are dwarves?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Rebochan posted:

Best edit/parody

...well it was the best for me, because I had to deal with these asshats as part of my chosen profession and the catharsis was much needed.

I don't get what's different between the two sides of this cartoon.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Well one of them is lookin' like a fool.

Man, voting for bigoted cartoon is gonna be hard as gently caress.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

ComradeCosmobot posted:

I don't get what's different between the two sides of this cartoon.

That's because the original was made by Gamergaters and they are really really bad at not being idiots. By which I mean, the one on the left is the villain "Oculass" and yes she was yelling at a neckbearded fedora dork in the original, and THIS WAS SUPPOSED TO BE A BAD THING.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

The original, for reference.

For reference, two of Gamergate's most high-profile targets of hate were women that actually DO make their own games.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Can I nominate Rall's lovely 1984 book? As in, the whole thing?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Rebochan posted:

The original, for reference.

For reference, two of Gamergate's most high-profile targets of hate were women that actually DO make their own games.

I get this (bad) cartoon, but I don't really get the edit. I guess it's trying to make a sarcastic statement but it doesn't really do it for me because it doesn't really show the Zoe Quinn analogue in an especially positive light, I guess... But maybe that's the weird addition of the pants at her shins in the lower image making her a bit of a joke. :shrug:

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

ComradeCosmobot posted:

I get this (bad) cartoon, but I don't really get the edit. I guess it's trying to make a sarcastic statement but it doesn't really do it for me because it doesn't really show the Zoe Quinn analogue in an especially positive light, I guess... But maybe that's the weird addition of the pants at her shins in the lower image making her a bit of a joke. :shrug:

Turning her into a donkey would have made it more obvious, but that would have added a different set of problems.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

ComradeCosmobot posted:

It's about ethics in games journalism. How can you not see that?

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

ComradeCosmobot posted:

The edit isn't supposed to to be for the zoe quinn analogue, it's just to make fun of the original comic. Basically don't look at the girl on the left as zoe quinn, but just part of the joke. Everything is just meant to be silly except the bottom right where they real meaning of the edit is.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Time to vote, nominees are up in the first reply! Vote for each one with the letter and category.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Worst Middle East Cartoon: C

Worst Police Brutality Cartoon: E

Worst Torture Report Cartoon: I

Worst The Interview Cartoon: B

Worst cartoon about a tragedy: B

Worst caricature: B

Worst "A Thing Happened" cartoon: I

Worst Label: B

Least concealed bigotry in a cartoon: I

Laziest cartoon: A

Most easily reinterpreted: B

Overall worst political cartoon of the year: F

Best edit/parody: D

Lots of good edits this year. I'm not all-in on one like I was last year with Skeleton Frat Party. But Ye Fowl Herald has given me consistent laughs.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Dec 28, 2014

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
Worst Middle East Cartoon: C
Worst Police Brutality Cartoon: G
Worst Torture Report Cartoon: D
Worst The Interview Cartoon: B
Worst cartoon about a tragedy: F
Worst caricature: A
Worst "A Thing Happened" cartoon: P
Worst Label: G
Least concealed bigotry in a cartoon: A
Laziest cartoon: A
Most easily reinterpreted: D
Overall worst political cartoon of the year: D
Best edit/parody: G

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Worst Middle East Cartoon: D. C is bad as gently caress, but D is so much worse.

Worst Police Brutality Cartoon: F. gently caress all the libertarian poo poo

Worst Torture Report Cartoon: D. :fuckoff:ramirez:fuckoff:

Worst The Interview Cartoon: B. Only because A is nonsense.

Worst cartoon about a tragedy: E.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Dec 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008
Goddamn this was hard. The usual hacks really tried to outdo themselves with horribleness this year.

Worst Middle East Cartoon:
C - I originally voted for Nominee K ("Kirschen's afternoon tea interrupted) but I'm joining the bandwagon here; with this cartoon, it really looked like Kirschen was one step away from unironically posting Bleached Bones as his own work.

Worst Police Brutality Cartoon:
D - "Haha it's ridiculous that black people don't want to get murdered when it's obvious they inherently deserve it!"

Worst Torture Report Cartoon:
H - The Ramirez cartoon Nominee D came drat close, but it gets edged out by Branco's "Oh, a literal global torture program? Well EPA regulations inconvenience businesses, now that's the real torture!!" Stupid shill motherfucker.

Worst The Interview Cartoon:
B - yeah, the pointless, out-of-nowhere racism clinches it for this toon. I still don't think this event deserved a separate category when other major events (Ebola panic, child refugee crisis, Ukraine crisis, etc.) produced more, and more memorable, cartoons.

Worst Cartoon About a Tragedy:
H - This was possibly the hardest category to pin down just one toon, but Gorrell shat all over a tragedy not only with his trademark laziness, but with an incoherent mess of a toon.

Worst Caricature:
C - Also loving hard to choose, but Kirschen borrowing from Nazi propaganda imagery to call out Jewish "race traitors" with no trace of self-awareness tops everything.

Worst "A Thing Happened" Cartoon:
K - Seriously, what the gently caress is Ramirez even doing in this stain of a cartoon?

Worst Label:
E - Haha what the hell? Also the "Some So-Called Moderates" doesn't belong here; it's a beautiful label.

Least Concealed Bigotry in a Cartoon:
H - Like I said in my nomination, there isn't even a joke or an attempted message here; just "Black people are stupid and lazy and can't speak English well". Compounded by the fact that he used an unaltered picture of a normal black woman instead of a caricature because he thinks black people are inherently ridiculous.

Laziest Cartoon:
A

Most Easily Reinterpreted:
B - This one still makes me laugh. What a hack. Two Pulitzers, goddamn. If I weren't familiar with Ramirez's political stances, I'd think this was a ringing endorsement of Obama's policies.

Overall Worst Political Cartoon of the Year:
D - the only one that still pisses me off when I see it. Made more horrible when you consider that the "artist"'s parents were immigrants. Go gently caress yourself, Ramirez.

Best Edit/Parody:
D - Thank you for these, Saint Sputnik. They made Mallard Filmore indirectly bearable. Nominees G and I came really close for me, though. Everyone who makes edits and parodies deserves recognition; lovely hack cartoonists outnumber good cartoonists by a wide margin, so the thread regulars need you guys to balance that out.

Mr. Belpit fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Dec 31, 2014

• Locked thread