Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

Araenna posted:

Yeah, I honestly used to love watching Spoony rip on games and poo poo. Now it's all wrestling vlogs and D&D stories, and I could not care less. D&D stories, really?

The D&D stuff was good background noise when I was drawing miniatures for my openRPG/traipse games, plus I'm actually interested in D&D

still, the reviews are so much better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Araenna posted:

Yeah, I honestly used to love watching Spoony rip on games and poo poo. Now it's all wrestling vlogs and D&D stories, and I could not care less. D&D stories, really?

Would you call it a betrayal

moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

steinrokkan posted:

lol if you think Patreon is anything but another form of legal daytime robbery.

Bawwww at paying content creators do make the poo poo you like to sit around and watch/read/look at all day. Boo loving hoo. Imagine paying people to entertain you.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

moerketid posted:

Bawwww at paying content creators do make the poo poo you like to sit around and watch/read/look at all day. Boo loving hoo. Imagine paying people to entertain you.

the content you enjoy just appears for free with no time, skill, or labor investment

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
spoony's pretty bad tho why is anyone still giving him money

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Jim Sterling earns like 10 grand monthly with his Patreon. That's gotta be more than the Escapist paid him.

Edit: almost exactly 10 grand
http://www.patreon.com/jimquisition

http://www.patreon.com/vaatividya

Don't get me wrong, I love his videos and subscribe to his youtube account, but he does exclusively Demon Souls, Dark Souls story videos with the occasional Bloodborne news video.

The part I don't understand is why he needs that amount of constant funding, there's only so many video's you can make about the Souls games, and he's pretty casual with his 1 a week "schedule".

Rudager has a new favorite as of 11:30 on Dec 27, 2014

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Rosalind posted:

If you're really nitpicking someone for punctuation on GBS, I'd like to point out that "[" are brackets and "(" are parentheses.
My word, a non American posted? Better "correct" him about dumb pointless bullshit! To the Reply button!

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

DoctorTristan posted:

You have brackets inside your brackets.

A reward tier on my Kickstarter is proof reading for bracket mistakes. We haven't reached it yet.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Noyemi K posted:

The D&D stuff was good background noise when I was drawing miniatures for my openRPG/traipse games, plus I'm actually interested in D&D

still, the reviews are so much better

I'm interested in D&D, I just personally find some guy talking about his D&D games with people I don't know kinda boring. :shrug:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Rudager posted:

http://www.patreon.com/vaatividya

Don't get me wrong, I love his videos and subscribe to his youtube account, but he does exclusively Demon Souls, Dark Souls story videos with the occasional Bloodborne news video.

The part I don't understand is why he needs that amount of constant funding, there's only so many video's you can make about the Souls games, and he's pretty casual with his 1 a week "schedule".

Well that's the thing. He only "needs" a few hundred a month maybe to clear up everything he wants like to replace his editing and playing PCs with better one. But a bunch of people sure decided they wanted to give him way more than he needs each month because they like him.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

It's called Patreon, it's basically there to give money to people who make things you like. god forbid some make any cash above operating costs on the internet!!

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
Some time ago solar panels in the roadbed were discussed. A Dutch test project on a bicycle path has just been damaged by the frost. https://twitter.com/PercyTwits/status/548754743557128192/photo/1

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

A Steampunk Gent posted:

It's called Patreon, it's basically there to give money to people who make things you like. god forbid some make any cash above operating costs on the internet!!

Every time the subject of a person getting money for things like LPs comes up, there's accusations of it not being a "real job" and thus undeserving of pay.

Exactly who decides what a "real job" is, and what's the criteria?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I've had people tell me jobs aren't supposed to be fun. I imagine the LP haters come from the same group.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Evil Fluffy posted:

I've had people tell me jobs aren't supposed to be fun. I imagine the LP haters come from the same group.

Why do you think the more popular LPers are the ones who get really angry and half their commentary consists of "WHY AM I PLAYING THIS lovely GAME?!" :v:

John Liver
May 4, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

Exactly who decides what a "real job" is, and what's the criteria?

There are two types of people in this world: those with STEM degrees, and filth

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
I feel Let us plays are both serious and artistic.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Sorry, I'm Catholic, and seeing anyone other than Peter as the Prince of Apostles drives me to fits of nervous Latin.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

A Steampunk Gent posted:

A lot of it is probably envy. I'm envious as gently caress that nobody pays me 10k a month to yell at the Internet.

Dr. Gibletron
Oct 27, 2010

Pomp posted:

Would you call it a betrayal

Whos spoony and wht does he make spergy WWF videos'¿' white culture is hosed youre. All manchildren

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Dr. Gibletron posted:

Whos spoony and wht does he make spergy WWF videos'¿' white culture is hosed youre. All manchildren

Pretty much this, the human race ends not with a bang but with a fat ugly white dude crying that he can't beat a video game

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

pathetic little tramp posted:

Pretty much this, the human race ends not with a bang but with a fat ugly white dude crying that he can't beat a video game

The Sleepy Hollow TV show has Satan apparently recruiting only manchildren with easily-manipulated emotions as the Horsemen of The Apocalypse. The Headless Horseman of Death was a guy who got 'friendzoned' and War (played by John Noble) is a perpetual teenager that never stopped hating his parents.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Morglon posted:

A lot of it is probably envy. I'm envious as gently caress that nobody pays me 10k a month to yell at the Internet.

Well since I started it, I just don't see $5k worth of money in VaatiVidya's videos.

The problem with Patreon is it's the most pan handliest crowd funding site out there, there's no commitments or anything it's just "give me a few dollars every month, and hey, maybe I'll do some stuff". There's not even an attempt at accountability for the most part.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The MSJ posted:

The Sleepy Hollow TV show has Satan apparently recruiting only manchildren with easily-manipulated emotions as the Horsemen of The Apocalypse. The Headless Horseman of Death was a guy who got 'friendzoned' and War (played by John Noble) is a perpetual teenager that never stopped hating his parents.

Are you lying? Because I really hope you're not.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

Rudager posted:

Well since I started it, I just don't see $5k worth of money in VaatiVidya's videos.

The problem with Patreon is it's the most pan handliest crowd funding site out there, there's no commitments or anything it's just "give me a few dollars every month, and hey, maybe I'll do some stuff". There's not even an attempt at accountability for the most part.

Well if you don't like that they aren't doing enough, you stop giving them money. If you're not the one giving them money, who gives a poo poo?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

chitoryu12 posted:

Are you lying? Because I really hope you're not.

Death is Abraham Van Brunt who was engaged to Katrina Van Tassel before she called it off and later married his friend Ichabod Crane. War is the son of Ichabod and Katrina who grew up without his parents (Ichabod was in a magic coma, Katrina was in Purgatory) and resented them for it especially after he was buried as a teenager by witches for a couple of centuries.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Rudager posted:

For real? There's a shed load more accountability in Patreon compared to Kick starter. There's no lump sum to lock in, people set their amounts, and can see a creator's record of content. There's no big promise like Kickstarter, where the finish line may be years away. There's absolutely nothing stopping people from pulling the plug if they feel they aren't getting there money's worth. The only beef you have is with an audience with different standards than you.

Patreon has a bunch of terrible creators, but so does Kickstarter. At the very least Patreon is not just Kickstarter in shabby clothes, it serves a particular type of content creator and fits the bill perfectly for them. They can actually generate a revenue stream for their work without sorting out the logistics, and also without having to lock it up to monetise it.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Dr Zaius PHD got something to say

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1206130052/dna-is-not-a-helix

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The MSJ posted:

Death is Abraham Van Brunt who was engaged to Katrina Van Tassel before she called it off and later married his friend Ichabod Crane. War is the son of Ichabod and Katrina who grew up without his parents (Ichabod was in a magic coma, Katrina was in Purgatory) and resented them for it especially after he was buried as a teenager by witches for a couple of centuries.

Sleepy Hollow is A Good Show and you should watch it.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Jim Sterling earns like 10 grand monthly with his Patreon. That's gotta be more than the Escapist paid him.

Edit: almost exactly 10 grand
http://www.patreon.com/jimquisition

I'm really okay with this. Jim does good work and puts it out on time consistently. Also major credit for no milestones/rewards/whatever so it doesn't feel like he's holding content hostage at all.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Rudager posted:

Did you see 1 billion worth of content in Hobbit? Did you see 1 billion worth of content in the latest Call of Duty? Because that's how much those things gross. Hell, valve makes a crapton of cash just by selling other people's poo poo on steam. It's not wrong for someone to make some cash, they don't have to sell at price. Why should individuals on the internet be an exception?

And the most awesome part about patreon? You don't even have to pay to see the content with sane creators. You just donate if you feel like it.

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.

quote:

Essentially she doesn’t possess any powers except the ability to do what’s right in the most politically incorrect way possible.

My concept is to capture the squatting action of a dog and freeze-frame it in colorful Sofubi, a soft Japanese vinyl material. Available in Geisha Gold, Fujiyama White, Ninja Black, and Kawaii Pink and Green.

This KickStarter is every bit as pretentious as you'd expect a fund raising campaign for an $18 stress relieving toy to be.

Dinosaur Satan
Oct 27, 2005

Helen, I'll love you always.
DYLN — The Bottle That Creates Alkaline Water On the Go

AKA Back this if you never took high school chemistry. Of course it comes from California. Did you know oranges are alkaline? Yeah, I know this alkaline/acidic diet poo poo has been around for a while.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Dinosaur Satan posted:

DYLN — The Bottle That Creates Alkaline Water On the Go

AKA Back this if you never took high school chemistry. Of course it comes from California. Did you know oranges are alkaline? Yeah, I know this alkaline/acidic diet poo poo has been around for a while.

I mean theoretically those "vita beads" could be made of some kind of hydroxide salt (several types of nuclear power plants use lithium hydroxide to maintain a high pH in the primary coolant loops for an example from my field) but lol if anyone on their team even knows that much chemistry. And double lol if they think it's totally legit to just use solid pellets of sodium hydroxide or something :getin:

Edit: But we all know the answer is that they're something insoluble that does gently caress-all because no one who would want this kind of poo poo likely even owns a way of measuring pH

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

quote:

Short of world war, or extensive civil unrest, there is nothing that can stop this Project from going forth.

or lack of funding

Elissia
Dec 28, 2012

Oh hey speaking of patreon and idiots: http://www.patreon.com/sohmer

It's been going for a bit over a year now and has stayed in that funding area +/- $10 for the entire time.

Also gently caress Aaron Diaz for being a lazy piece of poo poo

stringball
Mar 17, 2009

Can someone :spergin: and tell us why he's wrong or right or retarded

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

stringball posted:

Can someone :spergin: and tell us why he's wrong or right or retarded

He's dumb as hell because he's mostly upset about how everyday layman's depictions of DNA are twisted up more than the molecules "really" are, when then that's just an aesthetic effect.

But he's convinced they're actually a lot straighter and this somehow proves... something.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Nintendo Kid posted:

He's dumb as hell because he's mostly upset about how everyday layman's depictions of DNA are twisted up more than the molecules "really" are, when then that's just an aesthetic effect.

But he's convinced they're actually a lot straighter and this somehow proves... something.

It seems to prove a vast international conspiracy to keep the truth from the honest man etc etc. That alone casts some doubt on the sanity of his ideas…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

BattleMaster posted:

I mean theoretically those "vita beads" could be made of some kind of hydroxide salt (several types of nuclear power plants use lithium hydroxide to maintain a high pH in the primary coolant loops for an example from my field) but lol if anyone on their team even knows that much chemistry. And double lol if they think it's totally legit to just use solid pellets of sodium hydroxide or something :getin:

Edit: But we all know the answer is that they're something insoluble that does gently caress-all because no one who would want this kind of poo poo likely even owns a way of measuring pH

According to the FAQ, they're a blend of 'all natural minerals' and the main ingredients are magnesium, tourmaline, zinc, and silica. Heated to 800c and formed into pellets.

Their graph is amusing. Apples have a pH of 3.3-3.9; almost as acidic as coke! Oranges are 3-4.
All of the vegetables and fruits they list are all moderately to mildly acidic, around 4-6. None are alkaline.
Tea and eggs are mildly alkaline.

Googling around, it looks like this is mostly one of those psuedoscience prevent/cure-cancer-with-nutrition idiocies, where the foods you eat somehow changes your body pH, and if it's too acidic (because you're not eating paleo, apparently), you get cancer and everything else that can possibly go wrong.

Since alkaline is clearly better, you might as well just drink ammonia. With a pH of 11.6, it'll definitely alkalize your body tissues!