Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Best character: Toph
Worst Character: Iroh Jr. That drat voice, drat.

ATLA was cool the whole way through, LoK had an okay if slow first season up until the ending which was rushed and sucked and dampered everything, Season 2 sucked, and Season 3 and 4 were really good. Happy New Years, y'all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
The first season of ATLA is pretty bad compared to anything else in either series if you rewatch it, actually.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Man, blurry! had better post one of his awesome, gigantic wall-o-text critical essays soon, or we'll never get to see the definitive concluding words about this long, dramatic, messed-up show.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Probably Magic posted:

Best character: Toph

Can't disagree.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

DrSunshine posted:

Man, blurry! had better post one of his awesome, gigantic wall-o-text critical essays soon, or we'll never get to see the definitive concluding words about this long, dramatic, messed-up show.

If there's a revival thread for the show's 10th anniversary, maybe he can post it there.

Miss Nomer
May 7, 2007
Saving the world in a thong
More fanart:

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
I've gotten to disk 3 season 1 of Avatar.

It got better. Not as good as Korra but much better.

Iroh continues to be totally awesome. Zuko is so a Char Aznable type with the bad guy who has a code of honor and stuff. (Except thanks to retcons and a very lovely finale movie Char isn't even a Char any more. Just a raging murderous douche. If only he had his own Iroh around more often. Ramba Ral and his lady own.)

Plus the kid has enormous brass balls and will kick all the rear end in spite of being an angsty teenager.

Sokka is half a cool and smart guy who knows how poo poo works in the real world. The problem is his other half is a back asswards misogynist douche.

Katara is the heart and soul of it all so far. Basically the Helo from BSG or Gwen from Torchwood in kid form. She is so totally being a second mom to AAng right now though it's kind of clear he is sort of crushing on her. Which is a bit creepy.

Aang himself is.. basically kid Goku from Dragon Ball but a little less naive and with entirely too much weight on his little shoulders.

Momo kinda sucks but Appa is the best he is just a big sweetie flying Buffalo thingie! :3

I dunno if it's just my eyes adjusting to the show or they started mastering it better but it's looking tons better too.

I vastly prefer the more mature stories and Roaring 20s setting of Korra over Generic Fantasy Asia too. Even if I was totally geeking out at those Fan Wielding women's costumes and makeup, Sooo cooooool....

A shame Legend of the Five Rings didn't try to catch on the hype wave and finally made a cartoon in Rokugan. I mean it couldn't turn out like Ultramarines or Dragonlance, right?

So yeah. Halfway through season 1 and it's not bad. It ain't high art or anything but I wish to continue on though this may be because I own all 3 DVD sets at a sub 20 each price point and because I enjoyed Korra so much.

Maybe I can at least be finished with the first season before the thread gets locked if anyone cares much about my dumb opinions.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Agni Kais are way cooler than dumb Probending, I'll tell you what.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Captain Rufus posted:

Sokka is half a cool and smart guy who knows how poo poo works in the real world. The problem is his other half is a back asswards misogynist douche.

He's actually pretty progressive given the social structure he was born and raised in. After all, if was the big tough guy he claims to be, he wouldn't have let his sister lead him around by the nose for the whole season.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW

Lady Gagazula posted:

Don't forget about Tenzin.

It's really hard for me to watch anything with this guy in it after I saw him simulate raping a man in the rear end a double digit number of times

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW

Captain Rufus posted:

I've gotten to disk 3 season 1 of Avatar.

It got better. Not as good as Korra but much better.

Actually, Last Air Bender is much better because the main character is a cool lil' Goku instead of the worst Avatar in the history who loving lost the Avatar past lives and brought hell to earth and is currently on an important journey to be a lesbian for the next 2 years of college

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Big Anime Fan Here posted:

Actually, Last Air Bender is much better because the main character is a cool lil' Goku instead of the worst Avatar in the history who loving lost the Avatar past lives and brought hell to earth and is currently on an important journey to be a lesbian for the next 2 years of college

:agreed: minus the lesbian part

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

I bet all the historians and archeologists and everyone interested in the past would absolutely hate Korra for losing the past life connection because she just destroyed a complete eyewitness historical record of the last 10,000 years from the perspective of someone who was probably right in the middle of the most exciting bits.

I mean they wouldn't be able to ask them about random trivia but just to combined with other secondary sources and confirm the timeline: 'hey did Avatar Y know Queen X? Ah so X lived well before Z happened.'

Korra you suck.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
I think it's good that the super butch girl and the very rich girl with resentment issues regarding her father are lesbians now, but I do not think it's good that the super butch girl is the worst kung fu superman in the history of kung fu supermen, and would have liked the strong female character that little girls could feel good about to not constantly get her rear end kicked and gently caress up all the time.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Lady Gagazula posted:

Don't forget about Tenzin.

It's hardly surprising that Korra's a little Bi-Furious, considering what her waterbending teacher was like in her younger years.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
If Henry Rollins and his friends had won everything probably would have worked out better

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

namesake posted:

I bet all the historians and archeologists and everyone interested in the past would absolutely hate Korra for losing the past life connection because she just destroyed a complete eyewitness historical record of the last 10,000 years from the perspective of someone who was probably right in the middle of the most exciting bits.

I mean they wouldn't be able to ask them about random trivia but just to combined with other secondary sources and confirm the timeline: 'hey did Avatar Y know Queen X? Ah so X lived well before Z happened.'

Korra you suck.

Way to victim blame :colbert:

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
seriously
why is everyone always trying to pass of the 'Korra last her past avatars' complaint when it wasnt her that caused the loss directly

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
Because it's her responsibility to not suck rear end at fighting. It's like her only real responsibility

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

I'm picturing her giving advice to future avatars along the lines of "Psh, I dunno. Don't get punched in the soul, maybe?"

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

I think it's good that the super butch girl and the very rich girl with resentment issues regarding her father are lesbians now, but I do not think it's good that the super butch girl is the worst kung fu superman in the history of kung fu supermen, and would have liked the strong female character that little girls could feel good about to not constantly get her rear end kicked and gently caress up all the time.

Her losing all the time and having to deal with it makes her a stronger (incidentally female) character. Hope this helps.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
It actually just proves that she sucks over and over. That's why when you lose a bunch of times you're called a "loser"

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
The Dragon Ball Z formula where Goku is the man but is busy doing something else right now is a much more successful way to build up an anime hero

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again

TheModernAmerican posted:

lmao you ding dongs laughed me out of the thread for calling someone lovingly looking up into someone's eyes and saying "ill do anything for you" romantic, thanks.

Is that something Asami says to Korra? Cause to be fair Mako says poo poo like that to Korra too in Season 3 and 4.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
DBZ actually doesn't really hold up compared to newer, hipper shonen like (bad anime)

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Because it's her responsibility to not suck rear end at fighting. It's like her only real responsibility

Thats not what the avatar is about at all
Also again victim blaming

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Aang ran away and hid for 100 years rather than face the responsibilities of being the Avatar, allowing the Fire Nation to commit genocide on the Air Nomads, and you think Korra is a bad Avatar because she lost her connection to her past lives? Aang also almost ended the Avatar cycle forever because he let a single lightningbender take a potshot at him. Only Katara's magical spirit water saved him. Aang then lost his connection to his past lives because he didn't like what Roku was telling him so he decided to sever his connection to Roku. He had to work to get it back.

Also compare the opponents they were facing:

Aang vs. some pretty good firebenders
Korra vs. a guy who can take bending away and bloodbend a room full of people in broad daylight, a man fused with the spirit of evil, four benders who are masters of their respective elements, and a metalbender with a doomsday weapon

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
....it's totally pointless to point out when someone is obviously threadshitting in TVIV, isn't it?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

VanSandman posted:

....it's totally pointless to point out when someone is obviously threadshitting in TVIV, isn't it?

Yes. It's very, very rare that something gets done.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

PriorMarcus posted:

Yes. It's very, very rare that something gets done.

I'm not even talking about mods, I'm just talking about people not taking obvious trolling attempts seriously.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

VanSandman posted:

I'm not even talking about mods, I'm just talking about people not taking obvious trolling attempts seriously.
People alternatively using trolls as a source of personal amusement or falling for their schtick hook line and sinker is not unique to TV/IV, it's something you see forumswide. Mostly in the various Discussion fora though

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Pomp posted:

danng, too bad she's bi

I don't know, looks pretty clear to me that Ravane considers bisexuality to fall into the category of gayness.

Ravane posted:

I must admit, yes, Korra appears to be gay.

Get the Toxx juices a-flowin', mods.

Captain Rufus posted:

Maybe I can at least be finished with the first season before the thread gets locked if anyone cares much about my dumb opinions.

People catching up on ATLA and Korra for the first time and reporting their opinions is actually really fun to read, for me at least. I remember ATLA too well to be able to do a rewatch these days :sigh:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Jesus christ, drop it. It's not happening.

Deadpool posted:

There's no such thing as a six month probation. I had told Ravane specifically before to not toxx for any thing like that again after I approved a non-existing multi-week toxx the last time.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Pomp posted:

Way to victim blame :colbert:

Oh absolutely (just to be clear I don't blame Korra) but irrational hatred of things is what LoK (and this thread) is all about.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Imagine what a massive fuckup Goku would be if the dragon balls didn't exist to fix everything after he let the world get literally destroyed for the umpteenth time.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

It's all Raava and Vaatu's fault, anyway. Dumb shits don't realize one wouldn't exist without another. Them fish spirits were opposites in Avatar and they were just cool swimming together.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

I do not have any strong feelings or visible emotions regarding this fan art.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

VanSandman posted:

Wouldn't threadshitting on a comedy forum involve taking the thread so seriously that you angrily call out people for making jokes?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

MrAristocrates posted:

Jesus christ, drop it. It's not happening.
Kinda silly that the probation system is based off of preset arbitrary numbers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

JT Jag posted:

Kinda silly that the probation system is based off of preset arbitrary numbers.

Yeah, I'm kind of surprised, actually. I always figured that mods just pressed a "Probate this guy" button and entered in some number of days/hours/weeks and clicked "Okay". Like if you wanted, you could just hit the radio button for "weeks" and mash "9" as far as it would go.

• Locked thread