Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

DrSunshine posted:

Yeah, I'm kind of surprised, actually. I always figured that mods just pressed a "Probate this guy" button and entered in some number of days/hours/weeks and clicked "Okay". Like if you wanted, you could just hit the radio button for "weeks" and mash "9" as far as it would go.
Six hours/one day/three days/one week/two weeks/one month/three months/one year (might not even be a one year)/foreverprobation (99,999 hours/11 years I think?) is I think every single possible probation, I might be missing one or two

JT Jag fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Dec 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blurry!
Jun 14, 2006

Sorry for Party Flocking

DrSunshine posted:

Man, blurry! had better post one of his awesome, gigantic wall-o-text critical essays soon, or we'll never get to see the definitive concluding words about this long, dramatic, messed-up show.

Aw, shucks. I'm working on it. Now that Korra's done, ya gotta compare and contrast it wholly to its predecessor since they stand on level ground. Both span about the same amount of episodes. I finished up the series about a week ago, and then Christmas hit which brought all sorts of distractions. Personally, I think most of the criticism of Legend of Korra falls short because everyone is so willing to give the (now) final product a pass on its shortcomings because of executive meddling. I don't really think that's constructive or honest. Even with a lot of corporate meddling, there's still plenty of questionable decisions made by the creators, both in structure and execution To me, I find the end product to be passable entertainment, yet fundamentally flawed. Legend of Korra frustrates me because for every good thing I like about it, there's one or two things that are botched or in fact cheapens what they created in ATLA.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Captain Rufus posted:

I vastly prefer the more mature stories and Roaring 20s setting of Korra over Generic Fantasy Asia too. Even if I was totally geeking out at those Fan Wielding women's costumes and makeup, Sooo cooooool....

Going by simple arithmetics, if Korra is Roaring 20s then Avatar is late-to-middle 1800s, being set 80 years earlier. It's actually one of the things I really like about these shows: the tech progression maps fairly well to how it happened in the real world.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

DeafNote posted:

victim blaming

What the gently caress

E:

VanSandman posted:

....it's totally pointless to point out when someone is obviously threadshitting in TVIV, isn't it?

Who's trolling? Nearly everyone here is discussing the show and making good points about it.

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Dec 28, 2014

blurry!
Jun 14, 2006

Sorry for Party Flocking

MonsieurChoc posted:

Going by simple arithmetics, if Korra is Roaring 20s then Avatar is late-to-middle 1800s, being set 80 years earlier. It's actually one of the things I really like about these shows: the tech progression maps fairly well to how it happened in the real world.

Well, besides the mecha power armor, VTOLs and laser death rays.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

blurry! posted:

Well, besides the mecha power armor, VTOLs and laser death rays.

According to the creators the Qin dynasty* had iron ships so maybe they're just bullshitting when convenient.

*Even though they are quite clearly Japan in every sense other than "their royalty dresses differently from Meiji era Japan".

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Also, you know, it's a world with bending in it and not the real world.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Bending could allow for all kinds of wacky advancement in all kinds of directions, and not just in obvious ways. Mining in a world with earthbenders could mean that you have access to as much ore of any kind as basically exists in the world, instead of having to go through centuries of prospecting and haphazard, inefficient mining tech. That could make it more feasible to do all sorts of other silly stuff. Like build a giant robot out of platinum

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

DeafNote posted:

seriously
why is everyone always trying to pass of the 'Korra last her past avatars' complaint when it wasnt her that caused the loss directly

Her falling for Unalaq's ridiculous transparent bullshit because she was really mad about dad things led directly to the world losing millenia of wisdom and bending techniques.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Hey, that's Janet Varney!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Ambivalent posted:

Bending could allow for all kinds of wacky advancement in all kinds of directions, and not just in obvious ways. Mining in a world with earthbenders could mean that you have access to as much ore of any kind as basically exists in the world, instead of having to go through centuries of prospecting and haphazard, inefficient mining tech. That could make it more feasible to do all sorts of other silly stuff. Like build a giant robot out of platinum

It would also totally absolve the need for developing advanced, automatic pumping mechanisms, which would preclude the development of steam engines. This is probably why the Earth Kingdom was a technological backwater compared to the Fire Nation. In our world, during the late 18th and early 19th centuries, it was the demand for coal that led to the development of a modern steam engine as a way to pump excess water out of Britain's waterlogged coal mines. More coal led to more coal power, which led to better iron and steel, which led to better steam engines and railroads in a virtuous cycle of industrialization. So perhaps the Fire Islands invented steam technology first because they needed coal for their industrial and home uses, being a tropical island archipelago that would have been hungry for resources.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Ambivalent posted:

This was actually addressed in one of the latest comics with processing ore. Essentially, technology would still outpace benders eventually, but it would take longer to make them obsolete since benders haves a higher level of productivity than normal humans. Also, cave ins are still a danger, even to earthbenders, just less so.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Eej posted:

Her falling for Unalaq's ridiculous transparent bullshit because she was really mad about dad things led directly to the world losing millenia of wisdom and bending techniques.

Yes because a 17 year old girl is going to be perfect and never ever be emotional or make any sort of mistakes or be mislead by anyone.

Oh wait no. I know people of all ages, genders, nationalities, and incomes. People are always kind of stupid and don't do the rational or sensible thing. It's called being human.

Just because Korra is magical Kinda Jesus doesn't mean she isn't going to gently caress up from time to time. This provides things like character growth and stories where there are genuine threats without having to get really stupid like Dragonball did.

Not everything can manage to escalate threats and have it work. Gurren Lagann is one of the few that can arguably be said to even come close to the ever increasing über danger and that is because it basically reveled in it.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Rosalind posted:

I do not have any strong feelings or visible emotions regarding this fan art.

They better hope they don't find Koh the face stealer since neither would know about him and the trick to beating him. Korra wouldn't even have hrt past lives to jump in and warn her. It'd be an immediate face theft: Koh: 3, Avatar: 0.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Spirit World seems like the worst place for a vacation

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Jackard posted:

Spirit World seems like the worst place for a vacation

Iroh and his tea party is there ergo it's the best place.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Captain Rufus posted:

Yes because a 17 year old girl is going to be perfect and never ever be emotional or make any sort of mistakes or be mislead by anyone.

Oh wait no. I know people of all ages, genders, nationalities, and incomes. People are always kind of stupid and don't do the rational or sensible thing. It's called being human.

Just because Korra is magical Kinda Jesus doesn't mean she isn't going to gently caress up from time to time. This provides things like character growth and stories where there are genuine threats without having to get really stupid like Dragonball did.

Not everything can manage to escalate threats and have it work. Gurren Lagann is one of the few that can arguably be said to even come close to the ever increasing über danger and that is because it basically reveled in it.

Magical Jesus kind of has a responsibility to take care thousands of years of knowledge and it doesn't change the fact that it is directly her fault that it is now lost.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Eej posted:

Magical Jesus kind of has a responsibility to take care thousands of years of knowledge and it doesn't change the fact that it is directly her fault that it is now lost.

You realize Aang was just as much of an impulsive idiot during the entirety of the first show right?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Eej posted:

So what does that mean for Aang, who almost got himself killed in the Avatar State and destroyed the Avatar spirit for all time and was only saved by an outside Deus Ex Machina? or Roku who failed to take the necessary steps and got murdered and almost allowed the destruction of the Avatar cycle completely?

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Oh no! A children's cartoon about growing up and becoming an adult has a plot point where the main character can no longer rely on their elders explaining everything to them!

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
It's almost like fictional stories about flawed characters who make mistakes are more interesting than ones about perfect people who can do no wrong and have nowhere to go from where they start.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
Quit talking poo poo about Goku. That's ignorant.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

ImpAtom posted:

So what does that mean for Aang, who almost got himself killed in the Avatar State and destroyed the Avatar spirit for all time and was only saved by an outside Deus Ex Machina? or Roku who failed to take the necessary steps and got murdered and almost allowed the destruction of the Avatar cycle completely?

Yeah, that's their fault too. What are you trying to say? People being dumb means they are absolved of blame for their actions?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Eej posted:

Yeah, that's their fault too. What are you trying to say? People being dumb means they are absolved of blame for their actions?

It means that going "this character is the worst ever because they made a mistake" is really loving dumb, especially in a children's cartoon show about a character maturing and growing up.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

OldTennisCourt posted:

You realize Aang was just as much of an impulsive idiot during the entirety of the first show right?

He was also literally 12?

E: and he still didn't get 10,000 years of accumulated wisdom taken from him so

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

He was also literally 12?

E: and he still didn't get 10,000 years of accumulated wisdom taken from him so

No, he lead to the genocide of an entire race and the loss of all their history and teaching as well as 100 years of war, suffering and strife. This is totally different though because Avatar fans are literally the worst fandom on the internet.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
It's almost like the point of both shows was that these spiritual beings and successors to all this knowledge were just kids given a lot of responsibility and not the best information or guidance in how to deal with it. So they both had to forge their own way, messing up as they went but rising to the occasion and making up for their mistakes. Like the whole point of both shows was a metaphor for growing into adulthood.

Almost.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Aang was up against some random firebender dude.
Korra was up against Literally Satan. And got some ghosts who give bad advice killed.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

No, he lead to the genocide of an entire race and the loss of all their history and teaching as well as 100 years of war, suffering and strife. This is totally different though because Avatar fans are literally the worst fandom on the internet.

He would've likely gotten his poo poo kicked if he did stick around for Sozin's Comet because he was still 12 and only knew airbending, and that worked out real well for all the other nomads.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Man, people be real serious 'bout a children show right now.

Anyone here buy that Legend of Korra game because Platinum studios made it? I decided to load it up again today because I had some time and I cannot how tedious it is. The main stuff is fine, but boss fights feel like crap from a fan community: just sacks of hp with no interesting patterns. When I died to that mecha tank after hitting it for literally at least 20 minutes, I went "gently caress this!" and quit. Similar or different experiences for anyone else?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

He would've likely gotten his poo poo kicked if he did stick around for Sozin's Comet because he was still 12 and only knew Airbending, and that worked out real well for all the other Nomads.

Boy, if only he had some kind of Avatar state that he went into when poo poo got incredibly rough. Possibly the same one that saved his life when he ran away before any of that happened.

Covok posted:

Man, people be real serious 'bout a children show right now.

Anyone here buy that Legend of Korra game because Platinum studios made it? I decided to load it up again today because I had some time and I cannot how tedious it is. The main stuff is fine, but boss fights feel like crap from a fan community: just sacks of hp with no interesting patterns. When I died to that mecha tank after hitting it for literally at least 20 minutes, I went "gently caress this!" and quit. Similar or different experiences for anyone else?

You should be parrying those tanks instead of hitting them. You're not using all the mechanics which is why it is taking time.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

TheKingofSprings posted:

He would've likely gotten his poo poo kicked if he did stick around for Sozin's Comet because he was still 12 and only knew airbending, and that worked out real well for all the other nomads.

You're being really dumb about this.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Lt. Danger posted:

Oh no! A children's cartoon about growing up and becoming an adult has a plot point where the main character can no longer rely on their elders explaining everything to them!
This is the correct way of looking at it.
Jesus Christ, people.

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again
I wish they didn't get rid of the past lives because it didn't seem to have much of an effect on seasons 3 and 4 and also was an interesting mechanic, for story telling and otherwise.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Misandrist Wytch posted:

I wish they didn't get rid of the past lives because it didn't seem to have much of an effect on seasons 3 and 4 and also was an interesting mechanic, for story telling and otherwise.
But it did! It forced Korra to grow up! She became such a better character in Books 3 and 4 and a huge part of that, narratively speaking, was the loss of her past lives. It made sure she'd never take being the Avatar for granted ever again.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

It's not like Korra ever used her past lives anyway. She spent most of her life being unable to connect with them. Then after she could she only talked with Aang like twice, and spoke with Wan before losing the connection again forever.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
Maybe she could have asked some of the past avatars how to actually fight well

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Korra did nothing wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Big Anime Fan Here posted:

Maybe she could have asked some of the past avatars how to actually fight well
"Fight well? Eh. I have this neat trick I can show you though. Ok, it's like this---" "Avatar Korra, listen well. I have a story I must tell you---" "I killed Chin the Conqueror."

"Aaaaagh, why do I even bother?"

• Locked thread