Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

e: christ on a crutch ignore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Longwood Police have two modes, 80s neon script over web 1.9 graphics:

and 90s powerpoint gradient:

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Fucknag posted:

and 90s powerpoint gradient:

I actually kinda like that one... :shobon:

triple clutcher
Jul 3, 2012
just rediscovered this: http://robgray.com/graynomad/index.php

in short ... mad Australian builds two self-contained motorhomes, spends ten-plus years driving around Australia in them. Not sure if it's 100% AI, but as much as I like my creature comforts and lack any kind of mechanical sense I really want to drop everything and do the same.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

He's now planning one built on a landcruiser because it offers more freedom. Presumably he means freedom to just casually drive up riverbeds and poo poo. Hope it's not a v8 70 series!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Slavvy posted:

He's now planning one built on a landcruiser because it offers more freedom. Presumably he means freedom to just casually drive up riverbeds and poo poo. Hope it's not a v8 70 series!

I wonder if they could scrounge up a flex seal endorsement.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
https://ideas.lego.com/projects/87703

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Goddamn that owns, even the version that doesn't use any illegal connections looks pretty spot on.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

xzzy posted:

illegal connections

????

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Bricks interlocking in a way not intended by the designers and/or components that aren't lego bricks but just random stuff that happens to connect somehow.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Sorry, thought this was the lego thread and posted without thinking.

There are tricks out there to get bricks to stick together and create non-standard angles, but the lego company considers most of them "illegal" because it puts tension on the pieces. They won't sell a set that has any of that. Everything has to fit "properly" so it won't confuse little kids or randomly explode.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Slavvy posted:

Bricks interlocking in a way not intended by the designers and/or components that aren't lego bricks but just random stuff that happens to connect somehow.

LEGO is serious business. They'll send the Brick Police after you if you break the rules.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Rhyno posted:

LEGO is serious business. They'll send the Brick Police after you if you break the rules.

Worse, they've made pdf's.

http://bramlambrecht.com/tmp/jamieberard-brickstress-bf06.pdf

Scroll down to discover how it was Audi that caused them to document it, which seems appropriate.

torpedan
Jul 17, 2003
Lets make Uncle Ben proud
I guess I should not be surprised to any degree that Legos are serious business.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

torpedan posted:

I guess I should not be surprised to any degree that Legos are serious business.

Nix the "s" in Lego before you get sperg'd at even harder. Yes, apparently it matters deeply to some people.

Lego owns, I miss playing with mine.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Everything has to fit properly so as not to confuse or explode?
If only car manufacturers were as considerate as LEGO.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

xzzy posted:

Worse, they've made pdf's.

http://bramlambrecht.com/tmp/jamieberard-brickstress-bf06.pdf

Scroll down to discover how it was Audi that caused them to document it, which seems appropriate.

Jesus son-of-a-carpenter Christ! Wtf is wrong with people? I weep for the children unfortunate in the accident of their birth to be born to a father who would declare the certain fitment of lego pieces "illegal".

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 224 days!)

Terrible Robot posted:

Meccano/Erector Set > Construx > Lego > Duplo

:colbert:

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

West SAAB Story posted:

Meccano/Erector Set > Construx > Lego > Duplo

:colbert:

Capsela belongs in there somewhere too, those were rad as hell.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

:tviv:

Completely forgot about these.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
I don't know what these fancy LEGO things are, because when I was 12 I started tearing junkyard electronics apart, and when 17, tearing almost junk computers and cars apart.
Plus I only got $2-$10 lego as a very young kid paying with pocket money, maybe someone bought me a $20 set for birthdays/Christmas.
LEGO got too drat expensive around 1984, when the cool sets were around $80+, too pricey for me to care about :(

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Dec 28, 2014

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Where does K'Nex fall into this hierachy? Was there a LEGO ferris wheel set?

Also, that moment when you found out that DUPLO was scaled so several LEGO bricks could attach to one DUPLO block.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Linedance posted:

Jesus son-of-a-carpenter Christ! Wtf is wrong with people? I weep for the children unfortunate in the accident of their birth to be born to a father who would declare the certain fitment of lego pieces "illegal".
It's a Lego internal publication. It's not "You're not allowed to build this way", it's "You're not allowed to design sets this way."

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Construx was the poo poo. My parents bought me enough of it to fill numerous 40 gallon trash cans (the way we stored toys).

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Linedance posted:

It's not like you can't build something with your own parts however you want. They just won't put out an official kit for sale that uses "clever tricks" that might be hard to understand, or hard to communicate with an instruction manual, or hard to keep together without exploding.

E: Too slow. Collateral Damage covered it already.

torpedan
Jul 17, 2003
Lets make Uncle Ben proud

Terrible Robot posted:

Nix the "s" in Lego before you get sperg'd at even harder. Yes, apparently it matters deeply to some people.

Oops. I am pretty sure I have been putting an s on it long before I was an adult, so yeah.

Along the same lines, I am looking forward to when my kids are old enough to really get into Lego and similar building type things so I have a good excuse to play with them again.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Collateral Damage posted:

It's a Lego internal publication. It's not "You're not allowed to build this way", it's "You're not allowed to design sets this way."

Thank gently caress for that, that makes sense at least. I thought it was some rulebook for some (un)official competitive lego autist group... not that I doubt such a thing exists.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Rhyno posted:

Construx was the poo poo. My parents bought me enough of it to fill numerous 40 gallon trash cans (the way we stored toys).

Me too, and Capsela. Capsela was the best with the motors and gearsets and all that stuff. I also did a lot of tearing apart old electronics and things. I knew how to solder (terribly) before I was 10, doing it in my room with no ventilation, etc which my explain my brain problems these days.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Fart Pipe posted:

Me too, and Capsela. Capsela was the best with the motors and gearsets and all that stuff. I also did a lot of tearing apart old electronics and things. I knew how to solder (terribly) before I was 10, doing it in my room with no ventilation, etc which my explain my brain problems these days.

I only had one Capsela set, it just broke too drat easy. I had every original Robotix set though, that poo poo could be pretty awesome.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Maybe, but maybe like when your mom says “Maybe I’ll buy that for you if you behave while in the store.” Refer to ‘a’ for clarification.

No.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

jammyozzy posted:

Where does K'Nex fall into this hierachy? Was there a LEGO ferris wheel set?

K'Nex loving owned. I had a giant loving roller coaster that took up half my bedroom at one point.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Rhyno posted:

I only had one Capsela set, it just broke too drat easy. I had every original Robotix set though, that poo poo could be pretty awesome.

My brother and I had a few Capsela sets when I was younger, but after 8-year old me learned the merits of wiring several batteries in series, the motor pods all met a quick death.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

MrChips posted:

My brother and I had a few Capsela sets when I was younger, but after 8-year old me learned the merits of wiring several batteries in series, the motor pods all met a quick death.

My cousin had some, they were pretty cool but he broke all of his as well.

I had all the motor and light packs for Construx so I would build backpacks with moving arms and wheels and tons of lights and poo poo. I had enough Construx to build a two seater space pod for my 10 year old self and younger brother. Those were good times.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Rhyno posted:

We had a used toy store not too far from us when I was growing up. Over the course of a few trips we amassed quite a collection of Construx and Capsela for short money. I even built a four legged walking machine using the electric motor (I think it took 2 "D" cells...it was a heavy-rear end little brick) and a system of pulleys. I wish I had some Construx now to try and recreate it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
The Big Wind, a T-54 chassis carrying turretted dual MiG jet engines for putting out oil fires:

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/stilling-the-fires-of-war

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Linedance posted:

As already mentioned — that's more an internal document, but that level of attention to detail (and the quality and moulding procedure for the plastics) is also why LEGO bricks (see what I did there?) last a lifetime. I still have bricks from 1979 that have the same grip/ease of removal today. Unless they've been stepped on.

Seriously, the quality is still unsurpassed, even after the original patents expired, and the engineering behind it — especially since the late 2000's resurgence — is masterful.

F4rt5 fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Dec 29, 2014

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Speaking of Lego, my brother got me a Lego Imperial Star Destroyer for Christmas. :3:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

InitialDave posted:

Speaking of Lego, my brother got me a Lego Imperial Star Destroyer for Christmas. :3:

Wife gave me the mini cooper, which is definitely awesome car poo poo.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I've been debating if I want to spend $200 on the Lego Tumbler or not..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Galler posted:

K'Nex loving owned. I had a giant loving roller coaster that took up half my bedroom at one point.

The nice thing about K'nex in comparison to lego (both are fantastic) was that k'nex has physical robustness because it operates on real engineering principles, while lego is mostly cosmetic/low stress/static structure type stuff. When I was a kid my friend and I would take turns building vehicles most likely to survive getting pushed down a two-storey playground slide and the like without exploding into pieces. I only broke one or two pieces and never lost any despite all this stuff being outdoors. You could actually do stuff with it instead of it just looking pretty with some functionality.