Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Segmentation Fault posted:

I like using Steam's tile view for my library so I made a custom banner for Demonsteele.

That's pretty neat! :aaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

Wamdoodle posted:

I believe you mean 4 doom novels.... http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/Doom_novels

drat, I remember reading those and the first one wasn't so bad but the later ones.....

Haha, I think I can be forgiven for forgetting the last one exists. The first one is decent though. I want to know what the authors were smoking starting with the 3rd though? Freds? Newbies? Literary criticism? :psyduck:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGHYbfAB-lg

Jehde posted:

I have a Saitek P880 for exactly this reason. I don't think Saitek makes gamepads anymore though.

The P990 has pretty much the ultimate layout for oldgames emulation but it's been out of production for years.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Dec 27, 2014

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Copper Vein posted:

How is Doom Classic Complete on PS3?

PSN is down right now so I don't even know how much they're charging for it, but assuming it's under $10, is there anything about that port that is particularly bad?

It's basically Doom 3 BFG minus Doom 3. As an extra bonus it has the Master Levels as a 21-level episode.
http://doomwiki.org/wiki/Doom_Classic_Complete

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
UBeserker, one of the best Unreal 1 SP players out there, is doing a very interesting series of posts on UnrealSP about things you might not know about Unreal 1's maps. It's got all sorts of neat little facts, from goofs on the map designer's part, explanations for certain quirks in a map, to info about beta versions of the maps.

http://unrealsp.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3559&sid=87bacf7244498bacde6d29bb99e26d81

Here's a sample, featuring facts about the first map.

quote:

Vortex Rikers (Vortex2.unr)

Rikers is named after the Rikers Island's jail complex, in New York. The "vortex" name was simply added because Vortex Rikers is a spaceship.
The general reason why there's a "2" in the map filename is due to avoid a file mismatch with Vortex.uax. It's unknown if the "2" would also stand for "second build"; Cliff always did put a number at the end of his maps' filenames as a mean to show their development build version.
The torture room is entirely optional and only contains a demonstration of the game's body gibbing capabilities.
The torture room was added quite late in the development cycle and prior to the door on the second floor (more like, that door was at least open).
The girl referred in Jonas Gershwin's diary might be Prisoner 849.
The Dispersion Pistol makes its first appearance in this map (only in this map you can find it as a pickable weapon).
The Skaarj Warrior is first seen in this map.
The Universal Translator and Flares make their first appearances in this map.
Vortex Rikers was supposed to have human pawns. Unknown if they were ever added in an old version of the map.
Various prison cells were blocked by force fields in a very early version of the map.
In the prison area, there's a locked door on the second floor which was added very much later in the map development. Its use is unknown but it might have lead to other parts of the ship.
There's a bunch of Special Event actors that were supposed to cast a sound by touching some Triggers in the prison; judging by the event tags of the Special Event actors, they were likely going to cast escape alert vocals from Vortex.uax.
Notice that other than the vent shaft, there's no other known way to realistically reach the prison area from other parts of the ship.
The vent shaft tunnel was supposedly much shorter in a very early version of the map, with very steep slopes going up directly to the bridge.
In the bridge area, there's a set of planks you can walk over where you can get Clips. Notice those broken plank brushes? They were supposed to fall to the ground according to an unused Trigger actor found right below. Note that the planks are not movers.
The Kevlar Suit area has been modified several times during development; starting with nothing at all (just a simple 90° turn), to then become a round room, to then become what is now. In the round room version, the button was simply attached on the flat ceiling. In that same version, the Assault Vest was placed there instead of the Kevlar Suit.

He's currently up to Noork's Elbow, but it seems he wants to go through all of the maps.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Do you think it would still be interesting for people who have never played Unreal 1?

I wish someone would do that for Doom/Quake/DN3D. I'll check out Psychedelic Eyeball's ROTT lp soon.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Do you think it would still be interesting for people who have never played Unreal 1?

I wish someone would do that for Doom/Quake/DN3D. I'll check out Psychedelic Eyeball's ROTT lp soon.

It requires some knowledge of U1's maps in order to understand where he's talking about at some points, so I'd hold off until you play it.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Some guy got Quake running on an oscilloscope: http://www.lofibucket.com/articles/oscilloscope_quake.html

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Cat Mattress posted:

It's basically Doom 3 BFG minus Doom 3. As an extra bonus it has the Master Levels

So it's basically a better deal than Doom 3 BFG. :v:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Awesome Welles posted:

So it's basically a better deal than Doom 3 BFG. :v:

Doom 3 is really good. It doesn't get as much credit as it deserves. It's not the same Doom as before, but it is really good.

Also I started in on Plutonia. It's loving tough but I'm still enjoying it in that Doom challenge-way where you die twice and go "how the hell am I going to do that" and then you do it and go "THAT WAS AMAZING." There's a part in MAP04 where you end up fighting a bunch of barons of hell and hell knights in a tiny room with nukage floors and you go "how the hell am I going to do this" and then you realize you're good enough now to circle strafe across the nukage and ssg them to death. I did it the very first time with a giant grin on my face. That's why I play Doom.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Arivia posted:

Doom 3 is really good. It doesn't get as much credit as it deserves. It's not the same Doom as before, but it is really good.

I know it's Cool to hate on Doom 3, but it was always just a generic, run-of-the-mill manshoots to me. There was nothing special about it apart from the fancy lighting effects, which were actually nerfed a little in the BFG version, for some reason.

That said, I don't think it's a bad game by any means. It's just average.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
I couldn't get past the long rear end intro. By the time the game actually starts, I'd be 1000 monsters killed deep into a decent Doom wad. Doom 3 felt like it was intentionally wasting my time.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Isn't Doom 3 BFG Edition on the PC kind of turrible because it's a port of the console version? Like, it removes a ton of options, totally breaks mod support etc?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Mak0rz posted:

I know it's Cool to hate on Doom 3, but it was always just a generic, run-of-the-mill manshoots to me. There was nothing special about it apart from the fancy lighting effects, which were actually nerfed a little in the BFG version, for some reason.

That said, I don't think it's a bad game by any means. It's just average.

Then again, being average is the greatest sin of all.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Zeether posted:

Some guy got Quake running on an oscilloscope: http://www.lofibucket.com/articles/oscilloscope_quake.html

This is insanely cool.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Quake was never my jam, but stuff like this blows my mind.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Linguica posted:

Isn't Doom 3 BFG Edition on the PC kind of turrible because it's a port of the console version? Like, it removes a ton of options, totally breaks mod support etc?

It removes some options because they ported it up to id tech 5, and there are such performance boosts across all levels that they didn't need as detailed graphical options. They did reduce the shadows some (which helps it to be more fun to play), and engine mods are broken, since it's a different engine. Graphical poo poo still works fine, and they gave you a shoulder light instead of duct tape mod/switching between weapons. I played it, and it's probably the better way to play Doom 3 now, and the added levels are alright, as is No Rest for the Living.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Elliotw2 posted:

It removes some options because they ported it up to id tech 5, and there are such performance boosts across all levels that they didn't need as detailed graphical options. They did reduce the shadows some (which helps it to be more fun to play), and engine mods are broken, since it's a different engine. Graphical poo poo still works fine, and they gave you a shoulder light instead of duct tape mod/switching between weapons. I played it, and it's probably the better way to play Doom 3 now, and the added levels are alright, as is No Rest for the Living.

They made the player noticeably faster as well. If you run around with sprint on, you're pretty drat fast. You're not as fast as the Doomguy and Quakeguy, but a lot zippier and mobile than in original Doom 3.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I heard that the movement speed increase along with additional ammo spawns(?) trivialized a lot of the combat, but I actually bought BFG edition just for No Rest for the Living so I haven't bothered launching the Doom3 part.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Geight posted:

I heard that the movement speed increase along with additional ammo spawns(?) trivialized a lot of the combat, but I actually bought BFG edition just for No Rest for the Living so I haven't bothered launching the Doom3 part.

The combat is a bit easier, but I find it to be more fun than Doom 3's half-assed attempt at being about survival instead of strafing enemies with shotguns and automatic weapons.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Zeether posted:

That's genuinely the most impressive stuff I've seen all year.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

closeted republican posted:

The combat is a bit easier, but I find it to be more fun than Doom 3's half-assed attempt at being about survival instead of strafing enemies with shotguns and automatic weapons.
Doom 3 was totally schizophrenic anyway with not being able to decide if it wanted to be survival horror or run-and-gun, so if the re-release pushed it more towards the latter, at least that would be making it more coherent.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

What Doom 3 needed was for the enemy count to be increased and changed so you fight more than thirty thousand imps during the first 7 hours of the game, and for the monster spawn growl animations to be removed/shortened. Why they would increase the ammo count in the BFG Edition I don't know since unless you were awful you'd always have max ammo for the shotgun, which instakilled every common enemy in one shot, and almost every other non-explosive weapon.
As it stands Doom 3 is a game where most of the encounters boil down to instakilling most enemies while they are doing their spawning animations:

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
I always thought Quake 4 was the Doom 3 that Doom 3 should have been.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Doom 64 is the Doom 3 that should have been, Quake 4 is the Quake 2 sequel no-one asked for.

Brovstin
Nov 2, 2012

Honestly with the dreary levels and the music composed of annoying noises Doom 64 felt more similar to Quake than Doom

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Doom 64 is the Doom 3 that should have been, Quake 4 is the Quake 2 sequel no-one asked for.

I actually really liked Quake 2's aesthetic if only because the Stroggos are cool and weird, but yeah Quake 4 is far too by-the-numbers FPS for a quake game. The pre-strogg part where you don't move at Quake speed is far too long, and weakass vehicle sections so that they could have "Vehicle sections!" as a bulletpoint were just awful.

I asked for a Quake 2 sequel I just wanted it to be better than what I got.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

The trick is to get sequels while the original development teams are still there.
Asking for sequels years later is asking for trouble.
I think the only notable exception in the genre is Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

The trick is to get sequels while the original development teams are still there.
Another exception is Deus Ex: Invisible War. :haw: ... :(

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Toilet Rascal

GUI posted:

What Doom 3 needed was for the enemy count to be increased and changed so you fight more than thirty thousand imps during the first 7 hours of the game, and for the monster spawn growl animations to be removed/shortened. Why they would increase the ammo count in the BFG Edition I don't know since unless you were awful you'd always have max ammo for the shotgun, which instakilled every common enemy in one shot, and almost every other non-explosive weapon.
As it stands Doom 3 is a game where most of the encounters boil down to instakilling most enemies while they are doing their spawning animations:

Peak Doom 3 happens at a moment maybe 2/3 of the way through where a monster closet opens and a monster comes out, and you kill it and go into the closet to look for ammo, and a second closet opens inside the first one.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

haveblue posted:

Peak Doom 3 happens at a moment maybe 2/3 of the way through where a monster closet opens and a monster comes out, and you kill it and go into the closet to look for ammo, and a second closet opens inside the first one.

This is about the only gameplay choice that made it from Doom 1 / 2 into Doom 3.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

The Kins posted:

Another exception is Deus Ex: Invisible War. :haw: ... :(

I don't know what that is. :ssh:

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

No Rest For the Living, while not exactly a sequel, was a pretty great official Doom expansion nearly twenty years later.

Brovstin posted:

Honestly with the dreary levels and the music composed of annoying noises Doom 64 felt more similar to Quake than Doom

Doom64 was great, you shut your mouth.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

That Unreal map dissection is pretty neat. And it has me considering replaying Unreal. Suggestions for new engines/textures/models/whatever?

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

DX:HR was alright, but it hosed up a bunch of things in really stupid ways that I would not have expected from people who played the original Deus Ex. The worst example probably being assigning XP for kills (rather than just exploration and completing objectives as in the original) and then assigning a shitload more XP for stealthy nonlethal takedowns. Want to sneak past everything without fighting, or go in guns blazing? Get hosed.

You're right that it's still probably much better than the majority of third-party sequels, though.

On the other hand, it's not like being made by the same team guarantees anything about quality either -- look at Descent 2 and Homeworld 2, both terrible sequels to great games made by the same devs that made the original. Or Quake 2, Ultima Underworld 2, or Ground Control 2, which, while not terrible, were all notably worse than their predecessors.

(Ok, I have a soft spot for Quake 2 and like it more than the original Quake, but I do think it hasn't aged nearly as well.)

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Dec 29, 2014

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

ToxicFrog posted:

On the other hand, it's not like being made by the same team guarantees anything about quality either -- look at Descent 2 and Homeworld 2

You've got an awful lot to explain here.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

ToxicFrog posted:

look at Descent 2 and Homeworld 2, both terrible sequels

Holy poo poo

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

ToxicFrog posted:

Descent 2 ... terrible sequel

:what:

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

ToxicFrog posted:

look at Descent 2 and Homeworld 2, both terrible sequels

jfc

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

even if you think Descent 2 is a bad game (lol if you actually think this) the industrial buttrock soundtrack more than justifies its existence

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zepWlu1Vy7M

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Piling on to say Descent 2 was insanely fun, that guy's ridiculous.