Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Who What Now posted:

The point was to illustrate the difference between ethics and morality. I don't, and never have, actually given a poo poo about the real intended message of Robin Hood because it doesn't matter you goony gently caress. I was leading Fishmech on because it's hilarious watching him be a pedantic autist. If it bothers you that much then replace "Robin Hood" with "Man who violently robs pharmacy for antibiotics for his wife".

That man is also super ethical. This is easy. Maybe you should try something more your level of intellectual engagement, like Youtube comments

Disinterested posted:

1. Pursues extremely meta trolling of fishmech about niche point of argument.
2. Accuses others of being goony fucks.

I know what you're driving at, but I think you're too strongly conflating ethics and law in your argument and too strongly trying to divorce ethics and morality, but it's a pretty semantic question.

Who what Now is basically arguing that if you tried to hide a Jew in Nazi Germany you were being unethical because it was against the law.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

steinrokkan posted:

Can you recommend a good Christian video game journalist?

That sounds like a great person.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

SedanChair posted:

That sounds like a great person.

quote:

It would be easy to make a link between you, the player, and Jesus. And there might be developments later in the game that would strengthen these connections (don’t spoil it for me!) but really, my game character falls short of the glory that is Jesus. Where I have to fight dragons and evil wizards with my sword, Jesus conquers his enemies by dying on the cross. “For Christ died for sins once for all, the righteous for the unrighteous, to bring you to God.” (1 Peter 3:18) If dying in Skyrim was the way to win, I would have conquered the game in five minutes. Jesus is the victor over sin and death because he has true power. He is God himself. I may (eventually) be the saviour of Skyrim, but I’ll never be on the same level as Jesus.

Skyrim is a bad game because they don't actually execute you in the intro.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Perhaps completely unrelated to this thread.

Is there a good Ask/Tell thread about faith by chance?

Kind of have been having issues in that department lately.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

FuzzySkinner posted:

I don't think there's one about faith in general, but there seem to be active threads on liturgical Christianity (reasonably well policed) and Buddhism (regularly bombarded by maniacs).

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

FuzzySkinner posted:

Right here bro. Bro hug bro, bring it in.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Nessus posted:

I don't think there's one about faith in general, but there seem to be active threads on liturgical Christianity (reasonably well policed) and Buddhism (regularly bombarded by maniacs).

Yeah I'd be looking for one more related to Christianity.

I've been running into quite a few conflicts lately, and I've not felt comfortable with going to the sort of sources I'd be using to talk to someone about it. (IE Local Churches, Local people of faith).

Evangelicalism has really poisoned the well quite a bit. Quite a lot of "Boot Strappers" and people who seemed to think Ayn Rand wrote a gospel in the bible or something.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

FuzzySkinner posted:

I've been running into quite a few conflicts lately, and I've not felt comfortable with going to the sort of sources I'd be using to talk to someone about it. (IE Local Churches, Local people of faith).

Evangelicalism has really poisoned the well quite a bit.
The liturgical people are like, specifically and explicitly not the modern evangelical groups; it includes Catholics, Orthodox, and at least some of the 'mainline' protestant denominations, and the Orthodox in it regularly bitch about how people who are only in religion as a Cultural or Ethnic Statement keep bombing into the Orthodox Church now that the Pope is a Jesuit.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

FuzzySkinner posted:

Evangelicalism has really poisoned the well quite a bit. Quite a lot of "Boot Strappers" and people who seemed to think Ayn Rand wrote a gospel in the bible or something.

What sort of conflicts?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

FuzzySkinner posted:

Incidentally, the Ayn Rand worship among evangelicals is hilarious considering how much she despised them, especially for their big-government anti-abortion stance.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

VitalSigns posted:

Incidentally, the Ayn Rand worship among evangelicals is hilarious considering how much she despised them, especially for their big-government anti-abortion stance.
It's almost as if their opposition to LLLIIIBEERRRRALLLLS trumps even their dedication to their religion!

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

See? Science proves the JewsMuslims are inferior and must be purged! I'm not a racist, honest!

FuzzySkinner posted:

This thread might be the closest you'd get, or my other religion thread in D&D. While a number of people replying will be nonbelievers, some are certainly Christian, and both are (at least in most cases) striving to be intelectually honest. And plus, in these "crisis of faith" situations, multiple points of view are good!

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

The Liturgical Christianity thread in A/T is fairly laid back and there's even some non-liturgical posters in there. If you are looking to gripe about your local religious community that would probably be a better place than here and there's not a lot of self-described sociopaths like kyrie there.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Kyrie eleison posted:

My earliest memory is from when I was an infant. I was no more than a year old, and I lived in paradise. In this paradise were many of God's creatures, little snails which crawled along a brick wall separating our yards.

I loved to watch them, with their fragile shells, harmlessly going about their day and adding beauty to the world. But something within me had dark intentions.

And so, I crushed one. Underneath my foot, or perhaps with my child hand, I squashed its life away. I saw it struggle to live in agony, but ultimately give up its precious life.

Perhaps more of his kindred died before I grasped what I was doing. I was not playing, no; I was murdering.

This is my earliest memory.

i killed a bird

hail satan

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I found God:

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

I found God:

What happened to Number 5/Johnny 5?! :stonk:

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

GAINING WEIGHT... posted:

This thread might be the closest you'd get, or my other religion thread in D&D. While a number of people replying will be nonbelievers, some are certainly Christian, and both are (at least in most cases) striving to be intelectually honest. And plus, in these "crisis of faith" situations, multiple points of view are good!

Well.

I'm Pro Gay Marriage, Pro-Choice, Anti-Young Earth Creationist, that also happens to believe in Evolution. On a more personal note? I'm flawed in the areas in that I occasionally drink, I swear, and I cannot stand contemporary christian music.

I despise Evangelicals and those that they've aligned themselves with. I think they focus on the STUPIDEST things instead of what I believe Christ would have more so wanted us to focus on in regards to you know...feeding the poor, and being good people.

I'm just unsure of how to handle a lot of questions from atheists in regards to the concept of "God", and I'm also unsure of quite a few other things. I believe there is a "God", but I'm not as convinced he would be an rear end in a top hat, and with hold salvation from those who were born into the Muslim, Jewish and other faiths of that note.

I'm a bit skeptical of the concept of the "End Times" as portrayed by Revelations as well.

As for my local community? It's really weird in that it feels like everyone is trying to be passive aggressive in regards to having me join their church and such. I've had this happen a few times with those that would claim they would help me with my own personal problems, but then it would just be some sort of thing trying to lead me into their church.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

I don't think there's another thread to post this in but is anyone following Protestant Fight Night - SBC / Lifeway Christian Books vs. Calvinists? This is the best.

John Piper congratulated the Pope and JD Hall of Pulpit and Pen got mad because that means that the SBC might trick people into thinking that the pope is a brother in Christ and blew their top and then Ed Stetzer said that it's the same 15 Calvinist bloggers that blow their top about everything, and now The 15 is totally a movement about rooting out heresy in Lifeway, especially that devil T.D. Jakes.

quote:

John Piper sent out a congratulatory tweet to the Pope and wrote it in such a way that would leave many people to believe that he was calling the Pope a brother in the Christian faith. People were noticeably – and yes, predictably – upset. Stetzer rushes to the defense of his fellow evangelical celebrity and marginalizes the critics by calling them “the same 15 Calvinists who are mad at everyone for everything.”

This isn’t just tongue-in-cheek whimsy for Stetzer. We realize what’s happening here. It’s what is happening every single day – those who are concerned are marginalized. We are few in number, they tell us. And to these people, numbers are everything, and so to be few in number is to be marginalized. It’s a license to ignore, but more than that, it’s a license to ridicule.

Ex-director of the ecumenical Manhattan Declaration shot tweet after tweet in my direction until Stetzer finally RT’d one, practicing textbook marginalization and providing a much-desired ‘attaboy’ for Teetsel.

Yes, my tweets about Lifeway selling TD Jakes and other anti-Trinitarians, Word-Faith pastors and pastrixes, Eastern Mystics, and Heaven Tourism sound exactly like Westboro. You see the strategy here, don’t you? Ah, those people are just like Westboro! Nothing to see here, evangelical – move along.

And then, Teetsel takes a jab at the number of my Twitter followers (I suppose he does not know that this is a new account, my original account is @PulpitandPen and has more followers than his own).

But what does the number of Twitter followers matter? Perhaps Teetsel doesn’t understand what ‘grassroots’ means? The snobbery from our evangelical overlords is truly overwhelming. After all, there are “only 15″ of us. We don’t have as many Twitter followers as our evangelical celebrity overlords. So then, is our point invalid?

And sometimes the marginalization comes in the form of “this is why no one listens to you” or “no one takes you seriously.”

But of course, what the rest of #the15 need to know is that people are listening. The Pulpit & Pen Program regularly has more listeners than Mohler’s The Briefing. The Pulpit & Pen website is regularly higher in page rank than many of the more popular Southern Baptist blogs and higher than that of some of our more notable leaders. Say whatever you want, people are listening. That’s reality.

I first encountered Pulpit and Pen when they were helping expose Ergun Caner's career as a con-man. Which was going pretty well until they decided to start harassing his son for posting a picture of himself kissing his girlfriend and his subsequent suicide (which may or may not have been related to that.)

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
anti-trinity positron neutrino matter

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

See? Science proves the JewsMuslims are inferior and must be purged! I'm not a racist, honest!

FuzzySkinner posted:

Well.

I'm Pro Gay Marriage, Pro-Choice, Anti-Young Earth Creationist, that also happens to believe in Evolution. On a more personal note? I'm flawed in the areas in that I occasionally drink, I swear, and I cannot stand contemporary christian music.

I despise Evangelicals and those that they've aligned themselves with. I think they focus on the STUPIDEST things instead of what I believe Christ would have more so wanted us to focus on in regards to you know...feeding the poor, and being good people.

I'm just unsure of how to handle a lot of questions from atheists in regards to the concept of "God", and I'm also unsure of quite a few other things. I believe there is a "God", but I'm not as convinced he would be an rear end in a top hat, and with hold salvation from those who were born into the Muslim, Jewish and other faiths of that note.

I'm a bit skeptical of the concept of the "End Times" as portrayed by Revelations as well.

As for my local community? It's really weird in that it feels like everyone is trying to be passive aggressive in regards to having me join their church and such. I've had this happen a few times with those that would claim they would help me with my own personal problems, but then it would just be some sort of thing trying to lead me into their church.

One positive thing about Christianity is that there are so many denominations, you're bound to fit in somewhere. Sounds like you'd make a good Episcopalian.

What questions from atheists are you unsure of?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

CommieGIR posted:

I found God:

quote:

In 1968, Hungarians had to engineer something quickly to kill a massive gas fire. Pictured above, the 'Big Wind' is a T34 tank with twin MiG-29 jets pushing out a mixture of 1,585 gallons of steamed water and oxygen-poor air every minute.

Excuse me, can others pray to your god?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

SedanChair posted:

Excuse me, can others pray to your god?

All are welcome to the Church of the Machine God :black101:

We're also very pro Gay rights and science.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

GAINING WEIGHT... posted:

One positive thing about Christianity is that there are so many denominations, you're bound to fit in somewhere. Sounds like you'd make a good Episcopalian.

What questions from atheists are you unsure of?

Just pretty much the usual stuff.

Proof of God's existence...stuff like that. I don't mean to trot out an idiot's opinion, but that "Amazing Atheist" once cited that he felt the "Westboro Baptist Church" had the correct interpretation of the bible, and that kind of bugged me. (He pretty much implied it was literally you followed your faith like them, or you're a poser...which is loving stupid).

Though I am noticing that a lot of the Scientists that a lot of atheists seem to cite, they actually all seem to be....agnostic. Which is kind of re-affirming to me I guess.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
It's certainly true that if you believe the Bible is to be followed 100% then Phelps was doing it right. But you seem more inclined to the "warm fuzzies" sort of Christian belief, and there's nothing wrong with that. The reason there's nothing wrong with it is because the stories of the bible are fictional and God is also fictional, as you understand.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

FuzzySkinner posted:

Though I am noticing that a lot of the Scientists that a lot of atheists seem to cite, they actually all seem to be....agnostic. Which is kind of re-affirming to me I guess.

Well, most of them are probably atheist as well as agnostic. The two terms don't even apply to the same question, a/theism answers what you believe and a/gnostic answers what you claim to know. Here, this is a good visualizer:

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Whenever I want to know about the difference between ethics and morality, I know just where to turn: webcomics.

http://www.qwantz.com/index.php?comic=1081

Qublai Qhan posted:

Of all the problems associated with Satan and evil in general I think this one is basically a non-issue and there are several 'viable' (there isn't really a good word I can think of for 'stupid but following internal logic') explanations.

Part of it comes from the fact that "Satan" as Christianity understands him really doesn't exist in Judaism. God's big beef in the OT was with other gods, there wasn't a need for some sort of semi-divine "father of all evil" because all God wanted was to prove he was the best deity in town. When the idea of all these other gods went away, well, God still needed some sort of adversary, and thus the idea of Satan was born.

There is Job, which does mention Satan specifically...however what I've heard is that "satan" isn't necessarily a name, but a Hebrew word that means "adversary." Like the angel of God that blocked Balaam's donkey from progressing was referred to as "satan" because he was obstructing the path. In Job, the being that speaks with God is called "Ha-Satan" which is more of a title than a name, and I think the explanation is that Ha-Satan is an angel that works for God by accusing people of doing wrong and then testing them.

Even if you take the mainstream Christian point of view Satan is still less powerful than God (as God created him) so it makes sense that Satan is still going to obey God to a degree, so I don't really see Satan as working for God in the story of Job. It's more of a thing where Satan knew God would just kick the poo poo out of him if he didn't do what God said and so decided to stick to those rules.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

FuzzySkinner posted:

Just pretty much the usual stuff.

Proof of God's existence...stuff like that. I don't mean to trot out an idiot's opinion, but that "Amazing Atheist" once cited that he felt the "Westboro Baptist Church" had the correct interpretation of the bible, and that kind of bugged me. (He pretty much implied it was literally you followed your faith like them, or you're a poser...which is loving stupid).

Well, the WBC guys are fairly literal with their bible thumping so yeah, if you're going to follow the word absolutely then you'll probably end up a bit like them.

Honestly if atheists are hassling you about believing in God then telling them to bugger off for being rude is an entirely acceptable answer. If you aren't trying to convert them to Christianity then they probably shouldn't be trying to turn you atheist.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

OwlFancier posted:

Well, the WBC guys are fairly literal with their bible thumping so yeah, if you're going to follow the word absolutely then you'll probably end up a bit like them.

If they were literal, they wouldn't skip over the parts about how you shouldn't hate literally everybody, how you shouldn't be proud, and also AFAIK their "religion" is based on some sort of chiliastic belief that today's America is the stage for the Final Judgment, which is really a conclusion made outside the Bible itself.

Twelve by Pies posted:

Whenever I want to know about the difference between ethics and morality, I know just where to turn: webcomics.

I think there are two main attitudes to delineating morals and ethics.

Either you consider ethics to be the theory of the praxis of morals.
Or you take up a deontological approach and consider ethics and morals to be fundamentally preoccupied with the same issue of appropriate human behaviour, with the distinction that morality judges behaviour based on duty to abstract constructs, while ethics are more about practicality and virtue in the classical sense. Either way, Robin Hood can be said to be both moral and ethical, because his actions embodied a duty to remove injustice as well as practicality of alleviating suffering, or both immoral and unethical, as morally his actions were effectively self-serving to a small group of people, and ethically they led to corruption of virtue. Not to mention that the deontological view is the exact opposite of Who What's argument.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

FuzzySkinner posted:

Well.

As has already been said, you'd probably make for a better episcopalian. Your views are more or less the same as a lot of Western European Christians. You just evidently live in a comparatively conservative community. Which is just...unfortunate, I suppose.

I particularly wouldn't get worked up about the swearing and the drinking.

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

CommieGIR posted:

I watched that once, and once was too much. Its so freaking depressing.

I now realize this is 300 posts ago but one of the most brutal things about Grave of the Fireflies is the goddamn fruit drop tin you can buy:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41uoV4VfFML.jpg

VitalSigns posted:

I don't know if this was posted in this thread but I got an excellent article on an Objectivist convention in Vegas.

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2014/12/meeting-ayn-rand-on-the-las-vegas-strip/383608/

Armani fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Dec 29, 2014

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Who What Now posted:

What is a spiritual truth? What does that even mean?

The ideal of how humans ought to be. This may be be related to a mystical experience it might not. Usually there is a transformational element, a re-formation or a new life that is part of a process of becoming.

If one did this:

SedanChair posted:

I think the ideal religion would adopt the moral teachings of Jesus but leave off all the supernatural stuff.

That would be a spiritual act. A person choosing to live their life in accordance with an ideal (here the moral teachings from the life of Jesus).

Captain_Maclaine posted:

There is only one god, and Mel Brooks is his prophet.
*pratfalls*

Best Mel Brooks joke:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0quUM-Nr2c

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Saw this over the holiday:

http://www.salon.com/2014/12/28/the_truth_about_free_will_does_it_actually_exist/

Dennet Interview posted:

NW: So freedom, of the important kind, of the kind worth wanting, is freedom from being manipulated. It’s about being in control of your life, you choosing to do things, rather than these things being chosen by somebody else?

DD: Yes. In order for us to be self-controllers, to be autono­mous in a strong sense, we have to make sure that we're not being controlled by others. Now, the environment in general is not an agent, it’s not trying to control us. It’s only other agents that try to control us. And it”s important that we keep them at bay so that we can be autonomous. In order to do that, we have to have the capacity to surprise.

So if one talks about demons (things outside of us that control our actions, and holy poo poo he even attributes agency here!) and miracle (to be astonished or surprised) without using those words, but clearly using the substance of them, is that religious?

And Caros, this is why "just talk about anything else" doesn't work. That just hides it.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
When you radically redefine terms to fit your personal headcanon it makes you look like an insane idiot Brandor.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

BrandorKP posted:

http://www.salon.com/2014/12/28/the_truth_about_free_will_does_it_actually_exist/

So if one talks about demons (things outside of us that control our actions, and holy poo poo he even attributes agency here!) and miracle (to be astonished or surprised) without using those words, but clearly using the substance of them, is that religious?

And Caros, this is why "just talk about anything else" doesn't work. That just hides it.

That articles has nothing to do with the point you are tying to make.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
But he isn't talking about capacity to be surprised (by miracles), but about capacity to surprise others (by acts of will).

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

BrandorKP posted:

Other agents clearly refers to other people and being surprised refers to being surprised by people's actions or surprising them with your own by acting according to your own desires or choices. It has nothing to do with any definition of demons or miracles. You couldn't be more wrong with your interpretations.

-EDIT-

I was surprised when my wife sneezed loudly last night. Was she performing a miracle at me?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

zeal posted:

When you radically redefine terms to fit your personal headcanon it makes you look like an insane idiot Brandor.

What are the characteristics of the demonic the NT and in the thought of the Greek thinking people who wrote it?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

BrandorKP posted:

What are the characteristics of the demonic the NT and in the thought of the Greek thinking people who wrote it?

Who cares?

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

BrandorKP posted:

clarify

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

BrandorKP posted:

Being defined by an ignorant, pre-scientific people.

• Locked thread