Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Slavvy posted:

The nice thing about K'nex in comparison to lego (both are fantastic) was that k'nex has physical robustness because it operates on real engineering principles, while lego is mostly cosmetic/low stress/static structure type stuff. When I was a kid my friend and I would take turns building vehicles most likely to survive getting pushed down a two-storey playground slide and the like without exploding into pieces. I only broke one or two pieces and never lost any despite all this stuff being outdoors. You could actually do stuff with it instead of it just looking pretty with some functionality.

So much this, as much as I loved my Lego creations they were never very durable once put together. I used to do the same thing with K'nex and build a strong vehicle and then zip it at walls and poo poo to see how it held up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Slavvy posted:

The nice thing about K'nex in comparison to lego (both are fantastic) was that k'nex has physical robustness because it operates on real engineering principles, while lego is mostly cosmetic/low stress/static structure type stuff. When I was a kid my friend and I would take turns building vehicles most likely to survive getting pushed down a two-storey playground slide and the like without exploding into pieces. I only broke one or two pieces and never lost any despite all this stuff being outdoors. You could actually do stuff with it instead of it just looking pretty with some functionality.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lego_Technic :colbert:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I just built cool-rear end space ships bristling with lasers, and 10-wheel space buggies, bristling with lasers. And space forts... I ran out of lasers.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

As an unabashed Lego fan, Technic doesn't quite do what K'nex does. Technic does allow for more mechanical poo poo to go on but the structuring is still Lego.

For more thread related toy chat, google your favourite car with favourite block brand:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Terrible Robot posted:

So much this, as much as I loved my Lego creations they were never very durable once put together. I used to do the same thing with K'nex and build a strong vehicle and then zip it at walls and poo poo to see how it held up.

The jeep I built is pretty drat tough. Its rolled off a desk once already. haha

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Can lego leak fluids?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Slavvy posted:

Can lego leak fluids?

yup!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It actually kind of makes sense because if you drop/knock lego vehicles even slightly, all the cosmetic parts explode outwards but the main structure stays firm. Just like a real jeep or land rover!

Also, are those headlight bricks legal young man?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Now I'm looking at sets online. This one was probably my favorite:

http://brickset.com/sets/8880-1/Super-Car

think it's still mostly built

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

jamal posted:

Now I'm looking at sets online. This one was probably my favorite:

http://brickset.com/sets/8880-1/Super-Car

think it's still mostly built

I used to have one of these! It was great. When after a few months I decided to smash it onto the ground, that was also really great & enjoyable.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Jehde posted:

\

For more thread related toy chat, google your favourite car with favourite block brand:

http://lego.bldesign.org/models/?n=97
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=91642

:wow:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
http://imgur.com/a/oEWC3

This is mine. It utilizes the unimog kit and theres a jeep alternate out there for it. I used the bodyshell and the engine block, thats about it for the alternate. everything else is my creation.

when the rest of the tarduino stuff gets here it'll be self driving. :kimchi:

Even the seats recline.

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

Stickers aside, this is a pretty decent model

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

xzzy posted:

Wife gave me the mini cooper, which is definitely awesome car poo poo.

I've got that one, it's a hoot to put together (aside from those loving stickers).

Need to get around to putting together the VW Bus my dad got me for my birthday so that it has something of similar scale to park next to on my desk.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
What have I done!

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 232 days!)

The last page and change has gone far further to prove that we are manchildren than any stupid griping about responsibilities ever could.

Also, I never got to play with any Capsela, hence they are not listed.

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎

IOwnCalculus posted:

I've got that one, it's a hoot to put together (aside from those loving stickers).

Need to get around to putting together the VW Bus my dad got me for my birthday so that it has something of similar scale to park next to on my desk.
I wanna ask where you guys get those things, because I couldn't find them on the LEGO website but then I figured I'd just ask for a link to the LEGO thread.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

I wanna ask where you guys get those things, because I couldn't find them on the LEGO website but then I figured I'd just ask for a link to the LEGO thread.

lego thread:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3328496

finding the sets:

shop.lego.com, in the "hard to find" category. Most lego brand stores will have them on hand too.

The bus is rumored to be retired sometime in 2015, so get on that if you want it.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Same dude.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Dec 30, 2014

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
One straight six is as good as another straight six, so...

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

What's up with that intake manifold?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Air to Water intercooler.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Ahh, I was wondering myself too. Saw all those coolant looking lines, so that makes sense to me now.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

BlackMK4 posted:

Air to Water intercooler.

Oh. Very nice.

Stardotstar
Jun 2, 2012

Second result for "raddest car"

Not gonna argue there.

e: resize for hugeness

Stardotstar fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Dec 31, 2014

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Stardotstar posted:

Second result for "raddest car"

Not gonna argue there.

Would DD that unironically.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

MrYenko posted:

Would DD that unironically.

I wouldn't even stop to contemplate whether it was ironic or not.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

What sort of wheels are those? They're spectacular; I want them on every car I own.

Thelonious
Jul 16, 2005

Those are American Racing Outlaw I wheels, or some flavor of knockoff.

Arguably the most popular mullet mobile wheel ever.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

I feel like this kinda goes here, and kinda in the other thread...

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Collateral Damage posted:

I've been debating if I want to spend $200 on the Lego Tumbler or not..

Oh, goddammit I do NOT have $200 to blow on that...

Yep, once those showed up, I was all over them. At least, the ones I could afford (not many - poo poo's expensive!)

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Thelonious posted:

Those are American Racing Outlaw I wheels, or some flavor of knockoff.

Arguably the most popular mullet mobile wheel ever.

I know that style as "Centerlines". Which one is a knockoff of which?

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
They're known as centerline solid face wheels in Australia too. But American racing probably was the original since they started making wheels in the 1950s hot rod era. Centerline didn't start until the 1970s, I would have thought by then people knew brakes needed cooling, especially the now more common disc brakes. So I doubt there was any reason for centerline to make them except for the fact that people liked the already existing AR outlaw wheels and wanted them cheaper so centerline copied that style.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Dec 31, 2014

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

What bugs me is that middle wheel turned the wrong way.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

It's long enough, put the front in the other thread :haw:

Thelonious
Jul 16, 2005

Now that you say centerlines, I guess that's what I've heard them called before too so I'm inclined to believe that they're probably the original.

My dad bought an El Camino with some outlaw I's that he tried to pawn off on me, so I guess that's why American Racing popped into my head first.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

A lot of people seem to gloss over that most ground effect cars were absolutely awful to drive.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

VikingSkull posted:

Top Gear have never done anything close to the coolness of the Chaparral 2J. Here's a brief description of it.

The 2J led directly to the development of the Brabham BT46-B

The 2J was banned after the season, the BT-46B raced once. Active ground effects are still illegal in all forms of motorsport.

Gordon Murray was planning a further developed variant called the BT47; evidently it would have had a Chapparal-type rear box section. It never made it past the conceptual stage.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Mister Kingdom posted:

What bugs me is that middle wheel turned the wrong way.

Ugh, I didn't even notice that until you mentioned it. Now it totally belongs in the other thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Human Grand Prix posted:

A lot of people seem to gloss over that most ground effect cars were absolutely awful to drive.

To be fair not that many of us in AI will get the chance to drive one.