Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Misandrist Wytch posted:

She's hosed up too.
Almost like that garbage setting fucks everyone up??

Misandrist Wytch posted:

Airbending cuz u can fly.
You can be batman.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Dec 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
Waterbending is the coolest to me. Imagine bloodbending your own blood into frozen wolverines claws and stabbing a dude

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Oh God, even though that's the most ineffective ways to blood bend, it would be the most visually awesome. Imagine someone, cut off from water, tearing a bit of their flesh and shooting ice blood at people.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
Yeah they wouldn't put something that extreme on Nick but it'd be just... so loving sick. But I was really happy with how extreme and dangerous the abilities on the Red Lotus were. The armless woman waterbender who made herself a huge set of tentacles was my favorite character combatwise

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
Plus with the waterbending you could heal up your cuts after you shot blood at people

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Big Anime Fan Here posted:

Waterbending is the coolest to me. Imagine bloodbending your own blood into frozen wolverines claws and stabbing a dude
Wolverine's bone claws look really stupid, though. Just pull a Tonraq and freeze a sword around your fist.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
Waterbenders can freeze water and melt ice, has it ever been shown if they can boil water or precipitate liquid from the atmosphere

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Waterbenders can freeze water and melt ice, has it ever been shown if they can boil water or precipitate liquid from the atmosphere

Aang and Katara collected water from a cloud one time, and Hama was able to draw water directly from the air.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

I thought they had but it turns out I was just thinking of the first episode of Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
Hama was so loving overpowered lmao

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Hama was a waterbending master who unlocked the deepest, darkest secret of waterbending. It shouldn't be surprising how strong she was.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Waterbending is the best because you can take showers in a world without showers.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
Really I just liked this series and ATLA because the character of "aged martial arts master with super powers" is my favorite and it shows up plenty, though more often in Last Air Bender for sure

Lady Gagazula
Aug 13, 2005

Can't read my
Can't read my
No he can't read my
Joker Face
Melman
Good news everyone. Meelo is still hardcore.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW

Covok posted:

Hama was a waterbending master who unlocked the deepest, darkest secret of waterbending. It shouldn't be surprising how strong she was.

It's too bad that Kitara rejected her forbidden techniques because it would have been sweet for Korra to have them in her arsenal

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
It also would have been cool if instead of a laser beam they had a firebender who could split the atom

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Firebending is the best because it is the least practical of the elements and therefore the best at fighting dudes and dudettes.

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again

Jackard posted:

Almost like that garbage setting fucks everyone up??

I think the point was that we are all damaged and deeply flawed.

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again
Who here has tried to bend before.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW

Misandrist Wytch posted:

I think the point was that we are all damaged and deeply flawed.

I've been a fool to myself. I thought that I could live for no one else.

Miss Nomer
May 7, 2007
Saving the world in a thong
The best form of bending is clearly heart. :colbert:

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Miss Nomer posted:

The best form of bending is clearly heart. :colbert:
Hama would agree.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Firebending and a teapot. gently caress fighting, just make yourself tea with the POWER OF YOUR SOUL.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

T-man posted:

Firebending and a teapot. gently caress fighting, just make yourself tea with the POWER OF YOUR SOUL.
Iroh tried that and it ended up getting Jet killed.

Lady Gagazula
Aug 13, 2005

Can't read my
Can't read my
No he can't read my
Joker Face
Melman

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Iroh tried that and it ended up getting Jet killed.

This is a problem how?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Eej posted:

Firebending is the best because it is the least practical of the elements and therefore the best at fighting dudes and dudettes.
Say that when they start figuring out bullshit like magnetbending

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Firebenders are banned nationwide from entering any Magical Kung Fu Microcenter.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006
If it were real life, any of the four elements can pretty much insta-kill someone. In the show's universe I think waterbending is the most powerful. It has the most versatility , and the weird side techniques like healing and bloodbending seem a lot easier to learn and apply than the other special techniques. Also you can use spiritbending to manipulate spirits and destroy people's souls or whatever. Waterbending has got the be the most useful element outside of battles, which is where you'd be 99% of the time anyway.

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again
Bulletbending.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Genderbending.

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs

HoneyBoy posted:

Genderbending.

it really IS like my Japanese Animes

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

JT Jag posted:

Say that when they start figuring out bullshit like magnetbending

Season 1 had those fire benders using lightning to power a generator or something. There's your loving job market.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Hama could only bloodbend during a full moon. Amon was overpowered.

At this point I can be honest and say that much of the new airbenders' new airbending was...air-disappointing. Aang had, like, Spider-Man-caliber agility and reflexes, zipping all over the place, dodging all the poo poo, and making it all look easy. Kai was the only one of the new airbenders who ever hinted at that kind of style and talent. The rest of them like Opal and Jinora didn't really take advantage of the fundamental airbending principle known as "GTFO" at all, they just blew blasts of air and ran around slowly in straight lines. Much like how firebending, earthbending, and waterbending seemed to regress amongst the populace at the time of LoK compared to the martial-arts-intensive styles of AtLA, the same problem seemed to afflict modern airbenders.

(If I had to craft some sort of...how do you say...Avatar "fan story," I would set it in an era where people have almost completely forgotten about the martial arts affiliated with bending and only ever use bending anymore in domestic, practical ways. The "villains" will be a fundamentalist faction that is pushing to restore bending to its old "honored" ways and are capable of overwhelming all the modern plebes who have grown complacent with their bending, and part of the Avatar's journey will be to rediscover the old styles in order to be on a level playing field with these folks.)

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

quote:

At this point I can be honest and say that much of the new airbenders' new airbending was...air-disappointing. Aang had, like, Spider-Man-caliber agility and reflexes, zipping all over the place, dodging all the poo poo, and making it all look easy.
Well yea, Aang was a master, and only two of the modern airbenders achieved that.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Katara should have taught Korra how to bloodbend. She knew blood benders were a thing and, short of the Avatar state, the only countermeasure for bloodbending is bloodbending.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
If you got a really deep gash could you use blood-bending to stop the blood from flowing out? Actually, presumably if you could blood-bend like that you'd have some healing water handy...

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
If you were super pro you could use your own blood to heal yourself from the inside

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Covok posted:

Oh God, even though that's the most ineffective ways to blood bend, it would be the most visually awesome. Imagine someone, cut off from water, tearing a bit of their flesh and shooting ice blood at people.

There's an anime about that.

Dead Men Wonderland or something like that. I don't know if it's good.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

If you were super pro you could use your own blood to heal yourself from the inside

What if you could do whatever is done to water to make it into healing water to your blood

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
if you think about it, all four bending powers could instakill in grotesque ways. Depending on how earthbending works, a really, really, really powerful earthbender could bend the trace metal in someone's body to cause massive internal bleeding. obviously waterbending leads to bloodbending, but what about urine? or saliva?
And of course with airbending, you could remove all the air from a certain area, not just in the way Zaheer does to the Earth Queen, but by making an entire room a vacuum. VOIDBENDING.
and then of course since firebending leads to lightningbending, one could use that to cause a heart attack.
and if anyone had ever been directly hit with a burst of energy from a combustion bender on the show, they'd be very, very dead. I mean, we saw what happened to P'Li when her blast was redirected at her (holy poo poo that was brutal, how did Nickelodeon allow that?).

• Locked thread