Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

twistedmentat posted:

I like the May, Simmons and Marvel ladies cover. Though its funny how Spider-Gwen is on there, and Kamala Khan, not exactly two heroes who are part of the wider universe yet.

Its funny that they ran out of female heroes and had to include two female variants of the same male hero (Captain Marvel and Spider-Man).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Dexo posted:

Who's the chick on the left(may's right) in the Black and white spider-man looking costume(Not Gwen)?

Cindy Moon, aka Silk. Introduced during Spider-Verse/Original Sin as the second person the spider bit after Peter Parker.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dexo posted:

Who's the chick on the left(may's right) in the Black and white spider-man looking costume(Not Gwen)?

That's Silk aka Cindy Moon

Dan Slott creation, so shes bound to suck in time. I stopped reading his shite before she was in the comics.

edit: ^^ drat it

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Barry Convex posted:

Ha, this pretty much ignores what littlle has been established of 616 Coulson's history for the sake of making him a facsimile of the MCU version. But nobody liked Battle Scars, so I can't say anything of value was lost here.

I'm sure someone can still call him "Cheese", unless that was dropped during Secret Avengers.

Speaking of which, did Quake get her mind wiped or something? Seeing how they retcon the past decade of her appearances, including her brief stint as director of SHIELD, to align with the fledgling agent/Inhuman of the MCU is part of why I'm interested in the book in the first place. They're essentially two separate characters who just so happen to share a dad and powers.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Inkspot posted:

I'm sure someone can still call him "Cheese", unless that was dropped during Secret Avengers.

Speaking of which, did Quake get her mind wiped or something? Seeing how they retcon the past decade of her appearances, including her brief stint as director of SHIELD, to align with the fledgling agent/Inhuman of the MCU is part of why I'm interested in the book in the first place. They're essentially two separate characters who just so happen to share a dad and powers.

Quake is currently in the very odd Winter Soldier book. They've said she will appear in SHIELD eventually, though, but I don't think she'll become a duplicate of Skye.

Brevoort has implied that a retcon for her origin is at least on the table; to be fair, the one she has doesn't make a lot of sense, as she's too old for Zabo to have had powers at the time of her conception.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Weird. Even the covers can't seem to keep it straight. Quake's next to May on the all-female one, and Skye's on the one with Thing and Storm.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Inkspot posted:

Weird. Even the covers can't seem to keep it straight. Quake's next to May on the all-female one, and Skye's on the one with Thing and Storm.

The latter isn't intended to be representative of the book; Skye was included as a deliberate red herring.

Keep in mind that it was the very first artwork released to promote the book at SDCC; it also features male Thor and Rogers Cap, so it was outdated even when it was revealed (maybe the book was originally planned to launch much earlier in 2014? dunno).

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Dec 29, 2014

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'm sure the covers are just "neat things" rather than any indication of the content, covers tend to be like that.

Though i could see them having both Quake and Mockingbird be made more into their show counterparts.

I have a weird Idea that May and Danvers don't like each other.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

hope and vaseline posted:

I like that they're building up Skye to be a great agent first and that her powers will be secondary to her skill set, instead of the other way around. That said, I'm all for tacky training montages!

I wish more superhero things would address that. Having powers would, by their very nature, make you lazy. If you can level buildings with single punches, you're not going to really hone the ability to throw the best, fastest, and skilled punches in the universe - you have no reason to.

Once, just once, I'd love to see a character like Superman get his rear end utterly handed to him six ways from Sunday purely because he has no loving training, and is up against someone that has all the same natural advantages, but basically special-operations level skill with them against others on the same playing field. But no, in the last lovely movie in that franchise, the reverse pretty much happened. [ED: Yeah I know, Batman versus Superman, but that is just a worse point - one dude with no powers whatsoever poses a serious threat to the guy even.]

So it's neat seeing a character that would reasonably have the knowledge and, I guess, will be training it heavily. In Marvel terms that's partly why it's neat to see someone like Captain America hold his own with someone like Stark, who really does have the training of "Drunken playboy scientist" without his armor. You see Captain America training several times in the movies as much as possible and not just going "Eh I can skip it, I've got super serum."

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Dec 30, 2014

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Man of Steel had an untrained Superman fighting against Kryptonian elite soldiers. Superman only had a little edge because Zod and crew had their senses overloaded while Superman had years to get used to it.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

The MSJ posted:

Man of Steel had an untrained Superman fighting against Kryptonian elite soldiers. Superman only had a little edge because Zod and crew had their senses overloaded while Superman had years to get used to it.

I approve of this post.
:munch:

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Blazing Ownager posted:

Once, just once, I'd love to see a character like Superman get his rear end utterly handed to him six ways from Sunday purely because he has no loving training, and is up against someone that has all the same natural advantages, but basically special-operations level skill with them against others on the same playing field. But no, in the last lovely movie in that franchise, the reverse pretty much happened. [ED: Yeah I know, Batman versus Superman, but that is just a worse point - one dude with no powers whatsoever poses a serious threat to the guy even.]

The Claremont run on X-Men deals with this a LOT. The X-Men barely win any battles in the first 30-50 issues because they can't function as a team. Later, in the New Mutants, the kids deal with that issue AND the fact that they don't really have a good understanding on how to use their powers. Cannonball doesn't manage to land successfully (or turn for that matter) for something like 5 issues.

God bless Rachel & Miles XPlain the X-Men for inspiring me to read old X-Men comics. They are great and dumb and super fun (the comics, the podcast is just great and fun).

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Blazing Ownager posted:

I wish more superhero things would address that. Having powers would, by their very nature, make you lazy. If you can level buildings with single punches, you're not going to really hone the ability to throw the best, fastest, and skilled punches in the universe - you have no reason to.

So it's neat seeing a character that would reasonably have the knowledge and, I guess, will be training it heavily. In Marvel terms that's partly why it's neat to see someone like Captain America hold his own with someone like Stark, who really does have the training of "Drunken playboy scientist" without his armor. You see Captain America training several times in the movies as much as possible and not just going "Eh I can skip it, I've got super serum."

Do you watch The Flash? Barry has gotten his rear end handed to him a couple of times due to just not having any skill at fighting and only relying on his powers.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

hangedman1984 posted:

Do you watch The Flash? Barry has gotten his rear end handed to him a couple of times due to just not having any skill at fighting and only relying on his powers.

Arrow shooting him in the back with three crossbows remains one of the top moments of those crossover arcs they did.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

hangedman1984 posted:

I watch Flash: just saw the 4th episode, Season 1. It's pretty good so far concerning the early Flash character development. I'm paying $3 an episode with a few Amazon discounts incoming ($1 off using standard shipping), which I consider money well spent.

Since I think Flash is good: will I like the Agents of SHIELD series? For reference I've liked all the Marvel movies I have seen since their inception. The last Marvel film I saw was Guardians of the Galaxy. But I have not seen the latest Spiderman-reboot movies, yet.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

nnnotime posted:

I watch Flash: just saw the 4th episode, Season 1. It's pretty good so far, paying $3 an episode with a few Amazon discounts incoming ($1 off using standard shipping).

Since I think Flash is good so far: will I like the Agents of SHIELD series? For reference I've liked all the Marvel movies I have seen since their inception. The last film I saw was Guardians of the Galaxy. But I have not seen the latest Spiderman-reboot movies, yet.

Just don't start watching Agent of Shield expecting stellar writing and you should be good. Its an entertaining show, nothing more nothing less. It seems to tie in well with the movies from what I have noticed so far.

Also the spiderman reboot is better than the one in the early 2000. Its definitely more funny, but the fact remains that once again, in the first one we're being shown an origin story. I only saw the second one once, and was not impressed.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

The main thing carrying the Amazing Spider Man movies is the chemistry between Emma Stone and Andrew Garfield. Watching the two of them being awkwardly in love with each other is the most adorable thing.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

Dalael posted:

Just don't start watching Agent of Shield expecting stellar writing and you should be good. Its an entertaining show, nothing more nothing less. It seems to tie in well with the movies from what I have noticed so far.

Also the spiderman reboot is better than the one in the early 2000. Its definitely more funny, but the fact remains that once again, in the first one we're being shown an origin story. I only saw the second one once, and was not impressed.

TARDISman posted:

The main thing carrying the Amazing Spider Man movies is the chemistry between Emma Stone and Andrew Garfield. Watching the two of them being awkwardly in love with each other is the most adorable thing.
Ah, ok, thanks for the feedback. Speaking of the first Spiderman moves, I recall now that the third movie (with Tobey Maguire) was not that great.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

nnnotime posted:

Ah, ok, thanks for the feedback. Speaking of the first Spiderman moves, I recall now that the third movie (with Tobey Maguire) was not that great.

None of the Tobey Maguire Spidey movies have aged very well, really. There's a distinct lack of Spider-Man actually making jokes and a lot of misplaced wackiness. Also Maci Gray.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

nnnotime posted:

Oh, it's a symphony of hilarity. Peter Parker dancing around, Harry Osborn loving pie to the point where he should get a room, and Topher Grace... well, kinda being stapled to the outside of the movie because of a mandate from Sony.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Sorvah posted:

I'm looking forward to him unleashing the monster a bit in the second half of the series. I imagine he'll be tearing through Hydra and SHIELD now that Skye (are we still calling her Skye or Quake?) has 'awakened'.

Her name is Daisy.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Whoa there, take it easy, Muad'dad.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

nnnotime posted:

Since I think Flash is good: will I like the Agents of SHIELD series? For reference I've liked all the Marvel movies I have seen since their inception. The last Marvel film I saw was Guardians of the Galaxy. But I have not seen the latest Spiderman-reboot movies, yet.

It starts out slow, and until the Winter Soldier tie-in episode it is merely decent, but nothing special. Then it becomes really good and stays that way.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Irish Joe posted:

Its funny that they ran out of female heroes and had to include two female variants of the same male hero (Captain Marvel and Spider-Man).

Are you retarded?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Judging from flashback Coulson's muttering the preview, seems like maybe he had a run-in with X-Force? But I don't recall X-23 and Fantomex being on the team at the same time. Or Warlock for that matter. Strange.

Also dammit, why is Spider-Gwen on that women of Marvel variant cover? I realise she's popular, but she's not from 616! The only person who has less cause to be there is Silk since she's so awful.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Spider-Gwen was super popular before the issue even came out, so it's probably just because if that.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Blazing Ownager posted:

You might want to check out Invincible. Spoilers: It has a starting concept fairly similar to Superman, and you're following the early adventures of the alien superhero, except Krypton is very much alive and well and eventually some elites come to earth to check up on the main character who they expect to have conquered the planet by then. Things do not go well. As you say, he hasn't really had to hone his skills since he's so strong. Not so for the elite aliens.

Sorvah
Dec 1, 2014
I stopped reading the comics because of all the hamfisted attempts to make them conform to the films. I definitely get the sense these days that if Disney thought they could get away with it they'd ditch the comic side of things entirely.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
That Shield comic preview is missing the first part of the comic
http://www.comicbookresources.com/prev_img.php?pid=25288&pg=12

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

achillesforever6 posted:

That Shield comic preview is missing the first part of the comic
http://www.comicbookresources.com/prev_img.php?pid=25288&pg=12

That's loving fantastic that they used Ross & Busiek's Marvels for that. Such a great book, and it was more or less framed as an in-universe book so it really works that it would exist in some form for lil Coulson to read. It's fanservice, but I love it.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
How the hell old is Coulson supposed to be then (in the comics)? Wouldn't him having that book as a kid mean he is younger than Spider-Man? I'm just guessing that was just a nice little nod since they focused on the Human Torch part of it.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
One week to go :black101:

http://www.people.com/article/agent-carter-premiere-sneak-peek-video

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

The more I've seen of Agent Carter the less excited I've been. They keep billing this as a television event, but they have shown dick all of the story. I have no idea what this is about other than Agent Carter is a woman who can fight and no one takes her seriously and she is leading a double life abloo bloo bloo. I'm getting kind of worried that this show is going to have gently caress all to do with AoS at this rate, let alone anything else.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Keep in mind that the execs at ABC are probably not marketing it well. They likely view it as a way to boost the female demographic and think the only way to do that is to bill the whole strong woman aspect of it rather than treat women as more than one dimensional and show other elements as well.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

While setting up my DVR to record it, I discovered that Agent Carter starts at 8:00 PM, instead of 9:00 PM. I'm not sure if it's just for the 2 hour premier, but it probably is, and it will be on at 9:00 PM after that.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

ToastyPotato posted:

The more I've seen of Agent Carter the less excited I've been. They keep billing this as a television event, but they have shown dick all of the story. I have no idea what this is about other than Agent Carter is a woman who can fight and no one takes her seriously and she is leading a double life abloo bloo bloo. I'm getting kind of worried that this show is going to have gently caress all to do with AoS at this rate, let alone anything else.

Sometimes the best man for a job... is a woman! :wink:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
If it starts next thursday whats in AoS's slot then?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

bull3964 posted:

Keep in mind that the execs at ABC are probably not marketing it well. They likely view it as a way to boost the female demographic and think the only way to do that is to bill the whole strong woman aspect of it rather than treat women as more than one dimensional and show other elements as well.

I'm kind of betting on that, but the fact that I haven't seen a single shred of anything that points to the overall arcing story is worrisome. Even the interviews I've seen have spoken more about the character as a person rather than WHY we should care. I mean, I already watched the short film. If you want me to dedicate 8 more hours of my life, you are going to have to show me something other than what I already saw.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

ToastyPotato posted:

I wonder if it will be boring crap for 17 7 episodes then suddenly become decent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

If it starts next thursday whats in AoS's slot then?

It starts this coming Tuesday, and will be in AoS's slot until it's over, and then AoS will resume.

• Locked thread