Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

BrandorKP posted:

What are the characteristics of the demonic the NT and in the thought of the Greek thinking people who wrote it?

From the guys who said 'Let's burn down the Library of Alexandria'....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

When Paul talks about demonic powers what does he mean?
When Celsus criticizes the Christians and talks about how the demonic powers actually rule the world and Rome keeps them in check what does he mean?
Those soters (who are teachers) what are they saving people from, what does that particular conceptualization of the demonic look like?
When Jesus casts out demons in the Gospels what are the characteristics of the demonic?

Mr Dennet gives a drat fitting description of the concept.

"It’s only other agents that try to control us. And it”s important that we keep them at bay so that we can be autonomous."

He has to know what he's doing there.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Who What Now posted:

I was surprised when my wife sneezed loudly last night. Was she performing a miracle at me?

Did you wonder or marvel at the sneeze?
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/miraculum

SedanChair posted:

Being defined by an ignorant, pre-scientific people.

People who we have not significantly or categorically changed from.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
nah, it is clear when you read NT that it is talking about angels who became evil.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
This is one of the biggest stretches I have ever heard of.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

BrandorKP posted:

Who cares?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

BrandorKP posted:

When Celsus criticizes the Christians and talks about how the demonic powers actually rule the world and Rome keeps them in check what does he mean?
Those soters (who are teachers) what are they saving people from, what does that particular conceptualization of the demonic look like?
When Jesus casts out demons in the Gospels what are the characteristics of the demonic?

"It’s only other agents that try to control us. And it”s important that we keep them at bay so that we can be autonomous."

All agents are demonic. You're a demon, I'm a demon, he's a demon, she's a demon, that dog's probably a minor demon, Obama probably qualifies as a Daemon Prince who rules over one of the nine layers of hell...

It's demons all the way down.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

BrandorKP posted:

Who's "we"? I have. If you're talking about people in megachurches, those folks are base. I hold myself above them.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
when paul talk about demonic powers what does he mean? ...demonic powers? What is "demonic" and what is "power"? Now let me redefine what was written and change its original meaning.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

BrandorKP posted:

Did you wonder or marvel at the sneeze?
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/miraculum

Brandor, I'm not sure if you're aware of this, so you might want to sit down. Ok, are you ready for this? Are you braced both physically and psychologically? Ok, here we go:

The meaning of words change over time.

I'll understand if you need to take a moment to understand this world-shattering revelation.

quote:

Well, you haven't, but the rest of us sure have.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

BrandorKP posted:

So, what you are telling me is you support a return to exorcism as a valid way to treat people with mental disorders? Should we start trying people as witches again?

Do you realize what sort of special pleading you are doing at this moment to make an argument such as this?

BrandorKP posted:

You wish.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

Who What Now posted:

Brandor, I'm not sure if you're aware of this, so you might want to sit down. Ok, are you ready for this? Are you braced both physically and psychologically? Ok, here we go:

The meaning of words change over time.

I'll understand if you need to take a moment to understand this world-shattering revelation.

Well, you haven't, but the rest of us sure have.

It is always funny when you talk with catholics/protestants/baptists about trinity/hell/soul and they are adamant in using their definition of words that mean something else than it meant originally.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Brandor's ideology makes a lot more sense now that I know he thinks that there have been literally no advances in human knowledge for over two millennia.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
What is progress anyway? *inspects Panamax tanker using advanced math and science*

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Disinterested posted:

This is one of the biggest stretches I have ever heard of.

Mr. Dennet is just doing this:

"" posted:

The ancient world thought quite differently about Epicurus. They called him soter because he did something for them which was the greatest thing he could do for them, a thing which also is praised by Paul when he speaks of the transformation of the pagans into Christians, namely, liberation from anxiety. Epicurus, with his system of atoms - we call it a materialistic system - liberated them from the fear of demons which permeated the whole life of the ancient world and especially of the later ancient world. Men like Epicurus were called soters, saviors, because they liberated people from fear by their philosophy. All this shows what a serious thing philosophy was at that time. . .

Dennet is saying "freedom from" can be found in materialism. I bet that (Epicurus freeing from the demonic) exactly where he's looking too.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Can you first expand on what you think all of these people thought about demons at length so that I can really see into the deep inner workings of your wrongness.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

SedanChair posted:

What is progress anyway? *inspects Panamax tanker using advanced math and science*

Ever spend time around Isrealis? Ever hear the euphemism: "Turk, Turk"? I had it explained to me by a Chief Officer yesterday. "We've got to kill this Turk before we can kill that one".

People are the same as they have always been, poo poo-rear end awful.

Edit: Heading out, will be back, or will pick up where this left off when I can.

Edit 2: Disinterested before I go:

First Angels are anything that is a "Messengers of the truth" again that's the most literal meaning of the word. Here's demonic in the NT sense, which is related to (but not the same as) the sense the word was used in Neo-Platonism.

"" posted:

Another world of beings between God and man arose and became powerful: the realm of the DEMONS. There are not only good angels, but also evil ones. These evil angels are not only organs of temptation and punishment under the direction of God, but they are also a realm of power against God. We can see this very well out of the conversation between Jesus and the Pharisees concerning the Divine or demonic power, where he exorcizes the demons. This belief in demons permeated the daily life of that time, and filled the highest speculation of the time. It was a dualistic element, but it never became ontological dualism. Here again Judaism was able to introduce a good many ideas from Persia, among them the demonology of the Persian religion, where the demons have the same standing as the gods, where the evil god has the same ontological standing as the good god. It introduced these ideas and the New Testament is full of them but it never fell back into an ontological dualism. All these demonic powers have power only through the one God; they have no standing of their own in an ultimate sense. This comes out in the mythology of the fallen angels. The evil angels are, as is everything created, good which is the first anti-pagan dogma; but as fallen angels they are now evil angels. . . . and therefore responsible and punishable, and are not simply creations of an anti-divine being.

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Dec 29, 2014

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

BrandorKP posted:

Ever spend time around Isrealis? Ever hear the euphemism: "Turk, Turk"? I had it explained to me by a Chief Officer yesterday. "We've got to kill this Turk before we can kill that one".

Special pleading, anyone?

Just because you have such low regard for humanity does not mean that is actually reflected by humanity at large.

Please answer my question about the validity of exorcism as a treatment for mental patients.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
See to it that no one takes you captive through hollow and deceptive philosophy, which depends on human tradition and the elemental spiritual forces[a] of this world rather than on Christ.

[a] (or) basic principles

BrandorKP posted:

Mr. Dennet is just doing this:

Dennet is saying "freedom from" can be found in materialism. I bet that (Epicurus freeing from the demonic) exactly where he's looking too.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

BrandorKP posted:

Edit: Heading out, will be back, or will pick up where this left off when I can.

Um, you may want to pick another nationality to prove the assertion "people are barbaric!" because the whole world is in agreement that Israelis are especially barbaric.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

BrandorKP posted:

Racism?! But Obama was supposed to do away with that! :monocle:

And you never answered me before, do you ask for a human being to throw on the fire when you go camping? You know, since it's important to always use the original meanings of words and all?

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Who What Now posted:

And you never answered me before, do you ask for a human being to throw on the fire when you go camping? You know, since it's important to always use the original meanings of words and all?

Literal fascism at work.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

SedanChair posted:

Um, you may want to pick another nationality to prove the assertion "people are barbaric!" because the whole world is in agreement that Israelis are especially barbaric.

I completely missed that too :doh:

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
If we use modern definition of "soul" rather than the hebrew definition then i can understand why one would believe that we have an intangible indestructible "something" in our bodies. calrify clafiry clariyf

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Who What Now posted:

Racism?! But Obama was supposed to do away with that! :monocle:

I only speak in proto-indo-european.

As a courtesy to you degenerate language abusers, I run my posts through Google translate first to put them in your ignorant vernacular.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

VitalSigns posted:

I only speak in proto-indo-european.

As a courtesy to you degenerate language abusers, I run my posts through Google translate first to put them in your ignorant vernacular.

Oh oh lemme try speaking your language

"Whilst"

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

"eating icecream"

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
There seems to be an extra level on which the analogy doesn't work. The central point of the interview is that in order to preserve one's independence on other agents, we must maintain a "poker face" that conceals our beliefs, our inner world. That way the other agents can't act in a way that would give them leverage. So in order to maintain moral integrity and autonomy, we must maintain ability to act in a surprising way, which is counterintuitive, but makes sense.

However, in the Biblical context, surprises and demonic powers inspire to professing belief, because for this professed piety is found strength provided by God, and because the goal isn't moral autonomy, but rather moral congruence with a subject of spiritual love. Jesus didn't resist the temptations of the Devil by denying his Father to confuse his nemesis.

So even if we accept broad definitions of angels and demons as moral influences rather than concrete beings, the article argues in opposite direction to the Bible, IMHO. So I would say that Bible inspires the believer to give up being a moral agent in the sense it is used in the interview.

Though I'm not sure why you people are so angry about trying to think about historically rooted things in the vernacular of the subjects of those events.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Dec 29, 2014

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

steinrokkan posted:

There seems to be an extra level on which the analogy doesn't work. The central point of the interview is that in order to preserve one's independence on other agents, we must maintain a "poker face" that conceals our beliefs, our inner world. That way the other agents can't act in a way that would give them leverage. So in order to maintain moral integrity and autonomy, we must maintain ability to act in a surprising way, which is counterintuitive, but makes sense.

However, in the Biblical context, surprises and demonic powers inspire to professing belief, because for this professed piety is found strength provided by God, and because the goal isn't moral autonomy, but rather moral congruence with a subject of spiritual love. Jesus didn't resist the temptations of the Devil by denying his Father to confuse his nemesis.

So even if we accept broad definitions of angels and demons as moral influences rather than concrete beings, the article argues in opposite direction to the Bible, IMHO. So I would say that Bible inspires the believer to give up being a moral agent in the sense it is used in the interview.

We'd have to accept that morality can only be inspired and defined by religion.

Which isn't the case.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

CommieGIR posted:

We'd have to accept that morality can only be inspired and defined by religion.

Which isn't the case.

This is fundamentally an argument specifically about Biblical concept of morality, so it's kind of an axiom.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

steinrokkan posted:

This is fundamentally an argument specifically about Biblical concept of morality, so it's kind of an axiom.

That must be why he posted this link to try to stretch the Biblical concept of Morality into reality:

BrandorKP posted:

Saw this over the holiday:

http://www.salon.com/2014/12/28/the_truth_about_free_will_does_it_actually_exist/

So if one talks about demons (things outside of us that control our actions, and holy poo poo he even attributes agency here!) and miracle (to be astonished or surprised) without using those words, but clearly using the substance of them, is that religious?

And Caros, this is why "just talk about anything else" doesn't work. That just hides it.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Yes, the question he posed is if the gist of the interview corresponds with Biblical thought. Thats not expanding Bible into reality, its comparative analysis.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Michael Jackson posted:

See to it that no one takes you captive through hollow and deceptive philosophy, which depends on human tradition and the elemental spiritual forces[a] of this world rather than on Christ.

[a] (or) basic principles

That description of Epicurus is from a lecture on "The Preparation of the Ancient World to Receive Christianity". So as I think about it more, I'm pretty sure he's (Dennet) intentionally looking back to Epicurus. But that would lead into, Does he realize how Christians can (and will) respond to an idea that is already regarded as preparatory for the world to receive Christianity?

SedanChair posted:

Don't get me started on the racism I see in my line of work. The Israeli just stuck out because it was yesterday. The Greeks and Turks, the Japanese and everybody else in Asia, the Chinese and everybody not Chinese, everybody and the Filipinos, the longshoremen and management, it's a smorgasbord of racism in the shipping industry. (Don't consider that a final list) Ships still hire "Coolie Gangs" overseas (to do things like wipe out fuel oil tanks by hand) and they still get called a "Coolie Gang". It can be pretty hosed up. I have heard South African Port Captains say unbelievable things so vile that I won't even repeat them.

CommieGIR posted:

So, what you are telling me is you support a return to exorcism as a valid way to treat people with mental disorders?

No, of course not. That's terrible.

But I would support live something like: " I would rather die than hate you" (an astonishing, surprising, assertion that causes one to marvel that it was made) in response to racism (a thing perpetuated by agents, that control peoples actions in a harmful way) though. But you know, those straw men are easier aren't they.

And:

You wouldn't believe the amount of thermo I had as an undergrad. gently caress me I had semesters with 25+ credits ( I think my high was 28).

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

BrandorKP posted:

And:

You wouldn't believe the amount of thermo I had as an undergrad. gently caress me I had semesters with 25+ credits ( I think my high was 28).

Oh man, sounds like you also went to college. Nice one!

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

CommieGIR called me liar about what I studied earlier.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

BrandorKP posted:

And:

Good for you.

I have bookshelves full of nuclear physics books. This does not raise your credibility. Plenty of excellent and intelligent people believe stupid poo poo.

But I'm still enjoying your wives pleas for your son to be raised in a Community where 'Grace' is present, and your goals to have in study a bunch of religious dogma to keep him on the 'right track' should you pass away. :allears:

BrandorKP posted:

CommieGIR called me liar about what I studied earlier.

I did not call you a liar. I just find it at odds to the type of arguments you make.

BrandorKP posted:

Don't get me started on the racism I see in my line of work. The Israeli just stuck out because it was yesterday. The Greeks and Turks, the Japanese and everybody else in Asia, the Chinese and everybody not Chinese, everybody and the Filipinos, the longshoremen and management, it's a smorgasbord of racism in the shipping industry. (Don't consider that a final list) Ships still hire "Coolie Gangs" overseas (to do things like wipe out fuel oil tanks by hand) and they still get called a "Coolie Gang". It can be pretty hosed up. I have heard South African Port Captains say unbelievable things so vile that I won't even repeat them.

People suck. But this anecdotal evidence does not support the idea that humans are amoral assholes overall.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Dec 29, 2014

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I took thermodynamics in college too, so you guys can trust that I have the universe all figured out.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

BrandorKP posted:

Those are sweet book covers, I wonder what the first cover looked like in AD 70 because our understanding has not changed since then?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

BrandorKP posted:

So what? The fact that racists still exist doesn't mean we haven't progressed a single step in over 2000+ years. If we were the same people as those in the Bible we wouldn't merely be saying racist things (although I'm not excusing such a thing) but actively trying to murder and enslave people who look different than us en masse.

BrandorKP posted:

Maybe you just need to consider what Jesus meant when he spoke about exorcism. Are you sure he wasn't just giving expert psychological counseling?

BrandorKP posted:

But I would support live something like: " I would rather die than hate you" (an astonishing, surprising, assertion that causes one to marvel that it was made) in response to racism (a thing perpetuated by agents, that control peoples actions in a harmful way) though. But you know, those straw men are easier aren't they.

Saying that is neither surprising nor astonishing. Have you never heard "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend with my life your right to say it"? I hear that trite poo poo from pseudo-patriots drat near once a week. Talk is cheap, after all.

BrandorKP posted:

And:

Hey, I have access to campus book stores too!

And am I ever going to get an answer to my question or no?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

SedanChair posted:

Those are sweet book covers, I wonder what the first cover looked like in AD 70 because our understanding has not changed since then?

The atomists were soooooooo close to discovering fission.

BrandorKP posted:

Then how do we go about casting out these 'demons' that you claim were around only during Jesus' little trip through the middle east? Unless, suddenly, they just were not interested in possessing people anymore after the crucifixion...

• Locked thread