Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
5 guys is ok and they stopped letting their fries sit so now you only ever get made to order fries which makes a huge difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

waiting in line for food is dumb as gently caress and the people who do it are more interested in being seen at the venue than they are in the food

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

bassguitarhero posted:

it isn't about getting mad at the computer for being rude so much as a bunch of tone-deaf coders who are trying to create a one-size fits all approach to their user base because they're thinking of Facebook users as walking collections of data and not millions of individual human beings, some of whom may have had a terrible year

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

i enjoy eating many different kinds of food.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

five guys is way overrated though lol.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I wonder if fb is as lovely to their paying customers as they are to their normal users, I've not heard much either way [except when they turn the "posts we're willing to show without you paying us" tap a tiny bit lower]

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

qirex posted:

I wonder if fb is as lovely to their paying customers as they are to their normal users, I've not heard much either way [except when they turn the "posts we're willing to show without you paying us" tap a tiny bit lower]

you can pay for facebook? what do you get

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Blue Train posted:

for people to actually see the posts your company makes

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
I spend a lot of money on FB and run adblock turned to the max on FB as well as that chrome plugin that makes FB not lovely. I tell my fb sales reps this and they smirk and go 'yeah us too'

not sure if that answers your questions

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Blue Train posted:

more eyeballs on your facebook posts

when facebook says they use their algorithms to curate your feed to show you what you're most interested in, they're just making it possible to hold page's posts for ransom

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

of course if you only follow pages that you actually want to see updates from, this makes facebook totally useless. but you don't pay for facebook, so who cares what you think

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

qirex posted:

I had a good burger at vortex in atlanta

vortex does a lot of interesting theme burgers

great place to take someone from out of town

(bone garden is a great mexican joint run by the same people)

farm burger is all fresh locally sourced organic grass fed ingredients bullshit but drat it's a tasty "build a burger" place

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

bassguitarhero posted:

it isn't about getting mad at the computer for being rude so much as a bunch of tone-deaf coders who are trying to create a one-size fits all approach to their user base because they're thinking of Facebook users as walking collections of data and not millions of individual human beings, some of whom may have had a terrible year

and yeah this

if you want people to use facebook as their primary communication means then you're going to have a lot of this poo poo to deal with. plus the guy's a dev too so he was also posting about it from that angle, this wasn't just some whiny tumblr post

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

EVGA Longoria posted:

farm burger is all fresh locally sourced organic grass fed ingredients bullshit but drat it's a tasty "build a burger" place

yeah I looked that up I didn't make it to buckhead when I was there looks pretty choice, I don't think many places bother aging meat for a burg

If I have a choice I'll get fancy pants grass fed beef [or buffalo] 100% of the time it Just Tastes Better and since I only have a burger about every 2 months or so paying $5 extra ain't no thing

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
i went to shake shack and was disappointed by the quality of their shakes

haagen dazs 4 life

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

As a Millennial I posted:

more eyeballs on your facebook posts

when facebook says they use their algorithms to curate your feed to show you what you're most interested in, they're just making it possible to hold page's posts for ransom

ah I was thinking from the perspective of a user not a company, makes more sense now

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Post the Mr. Rotor one

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Blue Train posted:

ah I was thinking from the perspective of a user not a company, makes more sense now

you aren't a facebook customer, you are facebook audience that they then sell to their customers, e.g. companies

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

this is also the dead daughter for whom the css community named rebeccapurple for, which caused some terrible asocial internet types to bloo bloo about THE PURITY OF THE STANDARD

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
ad targeting can get pretty specific but we don't actually get any data on fb users.

like for example if we wanted to buy ads and show them to:

males 18-34
who live in the top 10 metro areas in the US
who have at least 2 of the following likes (and we can weight these, rank them, etc) my little pony, doritos, mountain dew, shoney's, nabisco and hot topic
and who also must like either xbox or sony playstation (official pages)
and who update once a week or more
with more than 100 friends
etc etc etc

we can set up that targeting (and retargeting!), like if you go to our website and click to the page for Spaceman 2015 but don't buy it, we can put an ad in ur feed that is like 'Spaceman 2015 now 10% off!" and link back to the buy page with a special discount. p cool.

but we never ever get like a spreadsheet that is like "James Q. Jameson matches ur targeting, here is his full profile and pics and poo poo"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

PCjr sidecar posted:

this is also the dead daughter for whom the css community named rebeccapurple for, which caused some terrible asocial internet types to bloo bloo about THE PURITY OF THE STANDARD

excuse me, but when choosing a non-sequitur name for an open source software constant or variable or function, you may only make references to elements of dork-approved pop culture television shows

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Beast of Bourbon posted:

but we never ever get like a spreadsheet that is like "James Q. Jameson matches ur targeting, here is his full profile and pics and poo poo"
if you had that data then you could market to james directly and not need to give facebook any more money

related: http://www.cc.com/video-clips/gamyur/stand-up-eugene-mirman--facebook-ads-pt--2

qirex fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Dec 29, 2014

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
advertise yospos to facebook users where first_name=james and weight > 200 lbs

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Shake shack is way good for eating your entire day's calories (which the menu kindly shows), but their fries are those dumb crinkle fries, they tried switching and people demanded the crinkle fries back lol

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

as long as we're discussing french fries, can i take a moment to question what the gently caress is wrong with in-n-out's product

great burgers, good shakes, literally the worst fast food fries you can purchase

my theory is that there's some ancient bluehair original family member on their board who's like "no, i like them bland, limp and mealy!" and has been vetoing any changes to the recipe for the last fifty years

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
the secret to ordering fries at in n out is to ask for them "light well"

because they come out like poo poo normally, and if you ask for them well you get a tray full of black carbon, so you ask for light well and get pleasantly crunchy delicious fries, much more like McD's fries.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Beast of Bourbon posted:

the secret to ordering fries at in n out is to ask for them "light well"

because they come out like poo poo normally, and if you ask for them well you get a tray full of black carbon, so you ask for light well and get pleasantly crunchy delicious fries, much more like McD's fries.

or they could just make them properly in general

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I just get a double double and don't bother with fries there

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
in'n'out still sounds like a joke food place that should give you diarrhea from a MAD landscape spread thing tbh

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug

Blue Train posted:

or they could just make them properly in general

i completely agree, they should make better fries imho

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
culvers owns pretty hard for a chain

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Fabricated posted:

culvers owns pretty hard for a chain

butterburgers
butterburgers
butterburgers

curds

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

bassguitarhero posted:

yeah but for most people facebook is an easy way to live out fairy tale lives devoid of problems. Facebook is just catering to their main user base. people who want to smile like it's all good. it is p sad that guy had to see something like that but what the hell else should they have done lol.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

bassguitarhero posted:

honestly it sounds more like a marketing fuckup. someone said "get as many people to use this feature as possible" and damned if they care why people aren't using it

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
double double animal style no lettuce or tomatoes (get them on the side if you must) medium rare with chopped chilis on the bottom

animal style fries well done if you dont plan on eating anything else that day

black and white if you dont plan on eating the next day, either.

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Sagebrush posted:

Post the Mr. Rotor one

this is probably my best work

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
the post is dumb. "thanks Facebook for reminding me of this thing I definitely did not forget. why are you so mean"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

born on a buy you posted:

hey hp, have some friends in NO any particular place you recommend as a must visit?

commander's palace or gautreau's

cure or tonique

• Locked thread