Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

OwlFancier posted:

Much as I dislike Dawkins that is more based on him being the most unpleasantly smarmy gently caress on the face of the earth, rather than him being actually wrong about stuff.

I wasnt completely serious.

BrandorKP posted:

I've already turned it on myself:

"There is a constant stream of people who want you believe what they believe, to think how they think, and to further the ends they want furthered. Some of them just offer another person to talk to, but some of them will offer you the world and anything you want in it. Some of them are fantastically dangerous."
That doesnt make tham demonic in any but the most loose possible sense.

quote:

Right because language cannot escape the issue of universals. The "transcendental realm", the spiritual, is a fundamentally related to our use of symbols, ideas, and language and what we consider ideal.
Im convinced the daimons, much like the existentials, precede the use of language.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Brandor why should we explain things in mystical terms rather than concrete ones?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

SedanChair posted:

Brandor why should we explain things in mystical terms rather than concrete ones?

Couldn't you say that, given the unsupported faith we put in our ability to perceive the physical world (if it exists), that all concrete explanations are in fact mystical?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

SedanChair posted:

In other news: Is being bi-polar really just demon possession? I mean, if we're going to throw out modern psychology and cognitive studies, might as well go all the way.

Schizophrenia is just god/devil/demons/angels speaking to people, and people who kill their children because god told them so obviously need a pardon right away.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

I wasnt completely serious.

I wouldn't blame you if you were, for an allegedly intelligent person, Dawkins displays an incredible lack of awareness of or concern for effective interpersonal communication.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

SedanChair posted:

VitalSigns posted:

Couldn't you say that, given the unsupported faith we put in our ability to perceive the physical world (if it exists), that all concrete explanations are in fact mystical?

CommieGIR posted:

In other news: Is being bi-polar really just demon possession? I mean, if we're going to throw out modern psychology and cognitive studies, might as well go all the way.

Schizophrenia is just god/devil/demons/angels speaking to people, and people who kill their children because god told them so obviously need a pardon right away.

Stay tuned for these exact answers, but ten times longer for no reason!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

OwlFancier posted:

I wouldn't blame you if you were, for an allegedly intelligent person, Dawkins displays an incredible lack of awareness of or concern for effective interpersonal communication.

Seriously, Dawkins is a jerk. Hitchens is a jerk as well, but has the 'cool guy' persona going for him.

If you are reading a Dawkins book that is not about Evolutionary Biology, put it down.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Dec 29, 2014

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

SedanChair posted:

Stay tuned for these exact answers, but ten times longer a poorly worded non-sequitur that is 2500 words long for no reason!

This is the much more likely outcome.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

CommieGIR posted:

I dunno, I don't think philosophy and psychology (psychiatry) have the same goals re. cognitive functions so they can coexist. We can value both Heidegger and cognitive psychology because the issues they want to answer are dissimilar. Similarly if somebody wants to use the concept of daimons to explain ethical questions, that doesn't mean he subscribes to exorcism as psychiatric practice.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Who What Now posted:

This is the much more likely outcome.

Don't go around predicting your own posts, it's uncouth.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
if you believe demons arent real then angels arent real then satan isnt real then jesus isnt real (jesus is an angel too).

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

steinrokkan posted:

I dunno, I don't think philosophy and psychology (psychiatry) have the same goals re. cognitive functions so they can coexist. We can value both Heidegger and cognitive psychology because the issues they want to answer are dissimilar. Similarly if somebody wants to use the concept of daimons to explain ethical questions, that doesn't mean he subscribes to exorcism as psychiatric practice.

But considering a large swath of mental illness was explained away as possession and their victims treated as such, I am going to approach Brandor's arguments with extreme disgust.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

steinrokkan posted:

I think people like Dennett do try to wed neuroscience problems with problems of epistemology though - if anything, that's one of their major projects. I think the real problem is just that Brandor thinks he is using the term daimon in an appropriately contextual way, and is not - although the term can to some extent be used in that way IN SOME BUT NOT ALL OF THE SOURCES he highlights (that is to say, it is more appropriate in the classical Greek texts than the Christian ones, notwithstanding Christianity's debt to ancient Greece).

Although I think he is primarily trying to use the term in a sort of Socratic sense.

Disinterested fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Dec 29, 2014

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Michael Jackson posted:

if you believe demons arent real then angels arent real then satan isnt real then jesus isnt real (jesus is an angel too).

Wait where do the Illuminati fit into this?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Mr. Wiggles posted:

:tinfoil: The same place they fit into everything!!! :tinfoil:

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

Mr. Wiggles posted:

lol @ conspiracy theories.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Captain_Maclaine posted:

:tinfoil: The same place they fit into everything!!! :tinfoil:

poo poo Dan Brown was right!

...my faith.....shattered.......

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

steinrokkan posted:

Guess what's hiding in both a lot of modern cognitive psychology and Heidegger?

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

10/10 At least it wasn't demons.

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

Who What Now posted:

Are there any other singular words that are somehow also double-negatives?

inflammable means the same thing as flammable

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Torka posted:

What a country!

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Nessus posted:

Buddha was the illuminati all along!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Nintendo Kid posted:

Buddha was the illuminati all along!

Well, at least its a happy fat guy with a fairly humanitarian worldview...

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Torka posted:

Also to seed, to de-seed; to bone, to de-bone; etc

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Torka posted:

VitalSigns posted:

Also to seed, to de-seed; to bone, to de-bone; etc

Those aren't really double negatives in the same sense as irregardless, though.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
But inflame isn't the same as extinguish.

Nessus posted:

And by hiding you mean sitting somewhere in the corner, making a timid noise from time to time.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Kyrie mode: Heidegger's success in Asia returns us to the recently discussed topic of Christianity basing the validity of its faith on persuasiveness. By persuading Asian scholars to value his Christian roots over their own Buddhist and Daoist tradition, Heidegger has lived up to this claim and has proven that Christianity is superior to other religions due to its philosophical expedience that obsoletes other philosophical systems. :smug:

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

steinrokkan posted:

But inflame isn't the same as extinguish.

But it could be interpreted as "unable to catch on fire" the same as indestructible means "unable to be destroyed" or inedible means "unable to be eaten."

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
What is up with the upswing of Christianity in Asia anyway?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Nintendo Kid posted:

*shrugs* Mysticism? The Asians are into mystical stuff, why not this one?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Nintendo Kid posted:

Capitalism and/or American influence, I'd suspect. But I repeat myself.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Am I missing a joke? :confused: That's a picture of Bo Dai, not the Buddha.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Nintendo Kid posted:

I know in Korea, Christian Koreans were some of the most prominent figures in the independence/resistance movement against Japanese colonialism but as for China and other Asian nations :shrug:.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Christianity and Christian missionaries are still kind of a strange oddity in Japan, regarded with mostly bemusement. Then again, Japan was always extremely resilient to missionaries (as well as incredibly hostile to their entry, as they were rightly perceived to be the forerunners of colonialism).

Christian style weddings are getting more popular though, because of the almighty power of Hollywood.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

BrandorKP posted:

Right because language cannot escape the issue of universals. The "transcendental realm", the spiritual, is a fundamentally related to our use of symbols, ideas, and language and what we consider ideal.

Unlike some other people in this thread, I am sufficiently versed in the pretentious to parse this sentence. And... nah, you don't need "universals".

Words point to (possibly blurry edged) categories in your mind that are close enough to the ones in other people's that you're usually understood. You have roughly the same categories because you've got roughly the same brain as other people, live in the same world and spend a lot of time talking to other people who will correct you/ act confused if you're too far off.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
In China there seems to have been a decline of Christianity, actually. At its peak during the Republican era, Christianity claimed millions of converts on both the Catholic and Protestant / Evangelical side, with Catholics, mostly pioneered by French missionaries, focusing on schools in rural areas and Protestants on urban population. AFAIK the Christian population has yet to recover to its pre-1940s volume.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

In China there seems to have been a decline of Christianity, actually. At its peak during the Republican era, Christianity claimed millions of converts on both the Catholic and Protestant / Evangelical side, with Catholics, mostly pioneered by French missionaries, focusing on schools in rural areas and Protestants on urban population. AFAIK the Christian population has yet to recover to its pre-1940s volume.

It's almost as if something happened after WW2, some kind of social force came to power that was hostile to Christianity.

:china:

Look at the pre-post in most USSR countries. Except in countries where religion was at the forefront of resistance, Christianity didn't do amazingly well, especially in the more cosmopolitan ones like the Czech republic.

Disinterested fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Dec 30, 2014

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Dzhay posted:

Unlike some other people in this thread, I am sufficiently versed in the pretentious to parse this sentence. And... nah, you don't need "universals".

Words point to (possibly blurry edged) categories in your mind that are close enough to the ones in other people's that you're usually understood. You have roughly the same categories because you've got roughly the same brain as other people, live in the same world and spend a lot of time talking to other people who will correct you/ act confused if you're too far off.

This is problematic as if you base the idea of intersubjective creation of reality on eidetic reduction that forms thoughts of essences, there's a still unresolved conflict of whether these eidetic reductions are comparable with universals. Husserl, for instance, was unwilling to claim that universals were the same as products of human phenomenologic reductions; intersubjectively shared ideas are essences that point to objects without being objects, while universals, if I remember correctly, should be objects in themselves rather than merely pointing to them or being in some other relation to them.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Disinterested posted:

It's almost as if something happened after WW2, some kind of social force came to power that was hostile to Christianity.

:china:

Look at the pre-post in most USSR countries. Except in countries where religion was at the forefront of resistance, Christianity didn't do amazingly well, especially in the more cosmopolitan ones like the Czech republic.

Sure, but it's strange to talk about surge of Christianity in countries that have been oscillating between strong Christian presence and no presence at all for centuries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

Sure, but it's strange to talk about surge of Christianity in countries that have been oscillating between strong Christian presence and no presence at all for centuries.

It's not strange at all - in most cases there will be a proximate cause. It's not just a 'natural cycle' or something.

Also, please tell me you are loving with that guy with the Husserl post.

• Locked thread