Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Some of ya'll are creepily obsessed with blaming Su for Literally Everything. Like drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

The real question is, where was Su when the 10,000 years of darkness was starting? I bet she was GOING TO SELL EVIL METALBENDING FLASHLIGHTS! :doink:

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

AlternateNu posted:

That reminds me. One of the most hilarious loose ends of the entire series was when Korra asks Zuko about what Aang would do in her situation, then blithely comments on how Iroh was right.
:???: Wait. You spoke with my uncle?
:v: Yeah. In the Spirit World. A couple times actually.

And Zuko just has this dumbfounded look on his face before they get interrupted to go to the comms room. And it is never brought up again.

That's not really a loose end.

Let me sketch the scene: Zuko goes into the spirit world, finds his uncle, and they drink tea. Fin.

Not really riveting TV. Anyway, it's not Zuko's story anymore.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Oh Snapple! posted:

Some of ya'll are creepily obsessed with blaming Su for Literally Everything. Like drat.

Suyin has a tendency to overstate her own moral rectitude while ignoring the good points of others. This is obvious to us, but in the show the only people who see the whole picture are Suyin herself (who won't acknowledge her moral faults) and Korra, who has bigger problems than one sort of selfish Beifong. This is a character trait that when shown more obviously is almost always possessed by antagonists.

Plus a lot of people like Lin, because she's basically the toughest, roughest person we see consistently. Only Tonraq could compete for that title and he doesn't get enough screentime.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

That's not really a loose end.

Let me sketch the scene: Zuko goes into the spirit world, finds his uncle, and they drink tea. Fin.

Not really riveting TV. Anyway, it's not Zuko's story anymore.

Yeah, a two minute scene like that made for some of the fans would've been very out of place in the finale with everything that went on.

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again
Su did nothing wrong.

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!

X_Toad posted:

Kuvira was right at the beginning, and then went to more and more extreme lengths to do what she saw as her duty, and that lead to the dictator she eventually became. Had she had friends and subordinates ready to criticize her methods and maybe offer alternatives, maybe that she would never had gone so deep.

From what I remember about the flashback when Su refuses to help the Earth Kingdom, it sounded like the original mandate for Kuvira was only to bring peace and stability back to Ba Sing Se, and if she had stopped there and let the rest of the kingdom evolve into independent city-states while helping the Airbenders minimize bandits and lawlessness, peace could have been maintained. Instead, she stabilized Ba Sing Se, and then kept on conquering 'unifying'. And everyone pretty much let her do this, on the assumption that she would just hand over control to Prince Wu at the coronation.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Oh Snapple! posted:

If you can't accept that Su is the Peppermint Butler of this series, I don't know what to tell you.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE
Su Yin is kind of a lovely person behind her awesome battle-hippy persona. She's probably my favorite character because of that.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

YorexTheMad posted:

Su Yin is kind of a lovely person behind her awesome battle-hippy persona. She's probably my favorite character because of that.

Best ninja mom ever.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

King of Foolians posted:

From what I remember about the flashback when Su refuses to help the Earth Kingdom, it sounded like the original mandate for Kuvira was only to bring peace and stability back to Ba Sing Se, and if she had stopped there and let the rest of the kingdom evolve into independent city-states while helping the Airbenders minimize bandits and lawlessness, peace could have been maintained. Instead, she stabilized Ba Sing Se, and then kept on conquering 'unifying'. And everyone pretty much let her do this, on the assumption that she would just hand over control to Prince Wu at the coronation.
Sorry, but you remember wrong ;) . Kuvira was under no mandate to stabilize Ba Sing Se, she went there on her own volition, probably thinking that if they wanted to stabilize the Earth Kingdom, they might as well start with the capital. It's only after she successfully brought order to the city that Raiko and the rest of the world leaders gave her the mandate to stabilize the rest of the Earth Kingdom.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Suyin is basically running Galt's Gulch if you think about it so it's not surprising everyone hates her.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Yeah, a two minute scene like that made for some of the fans would've been very out of place in the finale with everything that went on.

It really would have. Where would you put it?

Zuko's story is done. The show is at its worst when it's being mindless ATLA fanservice.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I agree, especially if you could just delete season 1 because of it.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

The Sharmat posted:

Zuko's story is done. The show is at its worst when it's being mindless ATLA fanservice.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I don't think that was really fanservice, since Toph actually had a role in the plot.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

The Sharmat posted:

Suyin is basically running Galt's Gulch if you think about it so it's not surprising everyone hates her.

Ya'll are loving insane. Jesus.

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011
Before this thread gets closed down for good, I just wanted to say, without reservation, that the last two seasons of this show had the best treatment of female characters I think I've ever seen in an ensemble cast. Like, the example that springs to mind is the scene where Korra, Opal, and Jinora go to confront Kuvira, who captured Su after her assassination attempt. Literally every player in that game is a girl or woman. That's freaking unheard of if we're not talking about some lovely magical girl anime where every character is a prepubescent girl.

Hats off to Bryan and Mike for learning from their mistakes in ATLA and integrating female characters into their stories as well as they did. What they did in that regard is, to me, just as ground-breaking as Korra and Asami becoming an implicit couple.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
The biggest thing that gets me about Suyin is her hypocrisy-laced self-interest. She rags on Lin for not being forgiving enough and holding on to personal grudges and makes a big show of how great she is for hiring ex-cons in her home, but what she actually means is that we should only forgive people when it benefits Su. People who have actually done wrong by Suyin, like Aiwei and Kuvira? gently caress 'em, they can rot in hell. In retrospect her whole creed about how people can change comes across as simply emotionally guilt-tripping Lin into being nice to her again, and her hiring pirates and Varricks to work for her comes across like charity to make herself look better.

I really like Su. :3:

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Wildeyes posted:

Before this thread gets closed down for good, I just wanted to say, without reservation, that the last two seasons of this show had the best treatment of female characters I think I've ever seen in an ensemble cast. Like, the example that springs to mind is the scene where Korra, Opal, and Jinora go to confront Kuvira, who captured Su after her assassination attempt. Literally every player in that game is a girl or woman. That's freaking unheard of if we're not talking about some lovely magical girl anime where every character is a prepubescent girl.

You know I didn't even notice that.

Which is a good thing. It means they were characters first and female characters second.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
Yeah, Suyin is great because of what a remarkably lovely person she is, but in a really plausible way.
and Lin's feud with her is interesting because of the lesson it teaches, which is that being in the right in an argument doesn't mean poo poo when continuing the argument comes with a larger price than losing the moral high ground.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I wouldn't really call Suyin a "remarkably lovely person". Just a believably flawed person, and flawed in a way that goons specifically really hate, in general.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

The Sharmat posted:

I don't think that was really fanservice, since Toph actually had a role in the plot.

Yeah. Also, she paid off character development for characters who were actually relevant to LoK, and answered the standing question of "Hey, whatever happened to Toph?".

As a huge avatar dork, an Iroh/Zuko scene would have been sweet to see, but there's no point to such a meeting; Zuko doesn't need Iroh's advice or help. Zuko is already reached the end of his character development, as has Iroh. Both of them are just cool old dudes being cool old dudes. There's nothing at stake in a new Iroh/Zuko scene, and no question it answers. neither of their fates are not in doubt, which is the usual point to those little touchstone epilogue scenes

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Pikehead
Dec 3, 2006

Looking for WMDs, PM if you have A+ grade stuff
Fun Shoe

Covok posted:

Make suspended jail cells out of wood for earthbenders and metal for firebender cells? In ATLA, didn't they keep Toph in a wooden cage...somehow (shouldn't she be able to Earthbend from the ground regardless?)

Toph couldn't connect to the earth to earthbend is what they were pushing, I think.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
I would have earthbended the turds out my rear end and chucked them at a guard, just like in real prison

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

The Sharmat posted:

It really would have. Where would you put it?

Exactly. I don't understand why they even put a moment hinting at it in season 3, they must've known they wouldn't have the time to give that kind of plot point the time it deserves.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

The Sharmat posted:

I wouldn't really call Suyin a "remarkably lovely person". Just a believably flawed person, and flawed in a way that goons specifically really hate, in general.

Yeah, if there's anything consistent about D&D goons it is that they'd rather be right and miserable than wrong and happy.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

Exactly. I don't understand why they even put a moment hinting at it in season 3, they must've known they wouldn't have the time to give that kind of plot point the time it deserves.

It was there to be humorous.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

ImpAtom posted:

It was there to be humorous.

There's nothing funny about my magical kung fu lesbian animu. :goonsay:

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Toshimo posted:

There's nothing funny about my magical kung fu lesbian animu. :goonsay:

That's generally true, most of the attempts at humor are pretty bad.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Lin and Suyin are basically the two sides of the Janus that is the Baby Boomers, and I really enjoyed them, especially since it led to badass earth-bending choreography.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

The Sharmat posted:

That's generally true, most of the attempts at humor are pretty bad.

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!
Has no one made any cool fan art of old Zuko and Iroh chillin' in the Spirit World drinking tea?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

King of Foolians posted:

Has no one made any cool fan art of old Zuko and Iroh chillin' in the Spirit World drinking tea?

I don't know about that, but someone did make this:

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

thexerox123 posted:

I would probably die from the sad-happiness I would experience from seeing old Zuko meet spirit Iroh.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

TheKingofSprings posted:

Well in fairness we'd be pissed at Korra if she never told Zuko about how she met his uncle.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

thexerox123 posted:

:3:

Iroh: Closest thing to a Jedi Master in the Avatar universe.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Well in fairness we'd be pissed at Korra if she never told Zuko about how she met his uncle.

Would we be pissed enough to tweet at the network that we'd never watch their network again, though?

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Toshimo posted:

Would we be pissed enough to tweet at the network that we'd never watch their network again, though?
What, like there's anything on Nickelodeon worth watching?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Toshimo posted:

We aren't Naruto fans, Toshimo. Give us some credit.

• Locked thread