Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Maximum Leader posted:

I don't see how a less functional ie would be any better. I think this might be a matter of rebranding the deck chairs again

windows rt was a big success so its cool to replicate that on a smaller scale

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001
rt means really terrible

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Thanks Ants posted:

its ms so it would be a surface speaker that only worked with the surface despite being bluetooth, have a 6 hour battery life, sound like poo poo and cost $300. and come with one unique feature that nobody asked for or used like being able to act as a microphone only for the surface.

do you even synergize?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

a bluetooth speaker that you can like...attach to things...

ummmmm a bluetooth speaker with a rumble pack in it so u can put it in ur pocket and feel the bass

they will release it in 2017 and pay $150 million to use "all about that bass" in the ad campaing.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

a wired bluetooth speaker

no, I don't know how you'd wire bluetooth either, but microsoft will figure it out

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
are there 2014 sales figures for xbone and ps4 ?

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Metrication posted:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Wheany posted:

they will release it in 2017 and pay $150 million to use "all about that bass" in the ad campaing.

yessssss

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

pseudorandom name posted:

a wired bluetooth speaker

no, I don't know how you'd wire bluetooth either, but microsoft will figure it out

bluetooth speaker with a usb power adaptor but the battery is a $60 option and has some serial number authentication going on so you have to buy an official one.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

don't do their work for them, jeez

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Wheany posted:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Metrication posted:

no

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Mr Dog posted:

at this point i'm surprised that they haven't just thrown in the towel and shipped a WebKit based browser with Windows 10, deprecating IE

they already have people on staff who can (demonstrably) do it well

ie 10 doesn't suck

Mr Dog posted:

but on balance it's kind of a good thing. WebKit running on 90% of all browsers isn't a significantly better situation than Trident running on 90% of browsers. it's still a situation where the de-facto specification is 400,000 lines of C++ as opposed to an actual spec (see also that one time where some people tried to make SQLite part of HTML 5)

there are dozens of flavors of webkit/khtml now. all subtly different. this is probably not a win.

at least in the crap-tastic ie6 days you could count on literally everyone having the exact same build of ie6. if you catered very carefully to ie6, you got a consistent experience for 90%+ of users

now, if you cater too carefully to your preferred webkit implementations (google chrome, android, safari/ios, safari/osx ?) you end up with something that doesn't work on an older version, or has unexpected visual bugs on an alternative webkit implementation ( kde, chrome/ios, an old version of safari, chrome/osx)

pram
Jun 10, 2001
who cares. gently caress the users, upgrade or die. works on my machine. wontfix

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

pram posted:

who cares. gently caress the users, upgrade or die. works on my machine. wontfix

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pram posted:

remember when the w3c pissed away a decade on xhtml

xhtml was a really, really good idea that didn't pan out so well in practice.

they didn't piss away a decade on xhtml, they spent a decade proving that tag soup garbage html is superior for human factors reasons

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

MS bluetooth speaker would actually be a proprietary wifi direct implementation (to prevent 3rd parties from making filthy lucre off the speaker with out paying a separate royalty) that required a separate bluetooth adapter that would risk bricking the firmware of both the speaker and the adapter.

It would support half the dlna spec and only be able to make content available on your network, and not actually play back any networked audio on the speaker itself

but it would have face plates, which nobody would want

these are variations on actual ms hardware dept decisions for anyone not obsessively following the xbox

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

shadow puppet of a posted:

MS bluetooth speaker would actually be a proprietary wifi direct implementation (to prevent 3rd parties from making filthy lucre off the speaker with out paying a separate royalty) that required a separate bluetooth adapter that would risk bricking the firmware of both the speaker and the adapter.

It would support half the dlna spec and only be able to make content available on your network, and not actually play back any networked audio on the speaker itself

these are variations on actual ms hardware dept decisions for anyone not obsessively following the xbox

dat av

pram
Jun 10, 2001
oh yeah xbox 360 had faceplates. lmao

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

face plates would be attached via magnets but not enough to prevent annoying vibrations coming from that part whenever the volume was turned up. several special edition speakers will be launched using different faceplates, but the plates would never officially be sold separately.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
good.. poo poo..

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

there would also be an olive drab green camo version of the speaker called the 'military honor and pride' version that does not even pay the slightest sliver of the proceeds back to a 'support are troops' foundation because, well nobody knows why but war sure is cool

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

the xbox 360 now has two separate DLNA implementations, one of which is built in to the firmware and you use by interacting with the console UI directly, the other of which is a part of the Xbox Video app and can only be invoked remotely over the network

the latter actually implements the DLNA spec correctly AFAIK, the former is non-standard and requires the MediaServer to specifically cope with its quirks to function

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

has anyone ever done the right click > play to xbox 360 thing that was definitely touted as a feature when it launched? that and the xbox being a media center extender.

did it ever work for anyone? i tried it once and gave up.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

microsoft has created a somewhat impressive series of options to test sites in IE without Windows

you can take a screenshot, use a free Azure instance of Windows or download and run a free VM

trouble is you will probably go through all these options before arriving at the one that actually works, the last one.

the screenshot sounds OK as long as you don't need to test hovers, javascript or literally anything after the page just loads. but it doesn't work with local stuff. so you have to put the stuff into production before testing in IE (haha that's what most of us do anyways right). there's a link to actually install the screenshot app on your local machine, though. it links to a github and after installing with npm, though, it turns out it just does a disgnotics test and there's no screenshots at all.

the next one, the windows instance on azure is somewhat neat. you just download Microsoft Remote Desktop (AKA Windows Technical Preview via Remote IE, powered by Azure RemoteApp, literally they call it that) and sign in with a free MS account. then you get access to just one app, and it opens any other window on your Mac. except it's just IE 11 and again you can only access live websites, not your local development environment.

the only solution to actually test IE8, 9 and 10 (~1, 2 and , 2.5% market share respectively) like your stupid company requires is to download the enormous virtual machine images, one each for each version of IE, and install and boot them up in whatever VM software you hate least. also there is some obscure compression software they use to package the downloads for some reason and you can only open them via command line iirc.

it's amazing they put so much effort into providing all these options while not understanding how and what people want to test. internet explorer has irrevocably damaged MS's reputation for every web developer and even more so once they spend 2 hours trying all these dumb testing options

kill desktop IE now and just make Xbox and Win Phone IE. put bing in the MS version of Firefox and ship that. bye.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

i downloaded the windows xp with ie6 vm from there a while back to get into a poo poo old phone system that didnt like modern browsers. told the website i was on a mac, received a self-extracting exe and an archive file :thumbsup:

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

has anyone ever done the right click > play to xbox 360 thing that was definitely touted as a feature when it launched? that and the xbox being a media center extender.

did it ever work for anyone? i tried it once and gave up.

The Play To thing was introduced with Windows 8 (that's the second Xbox Video-based DLNA MediaRenderer).

It's had a DLNA MediaServer client for much longer than that, designed to play files shared from your Windows Media Player library on your PC. It actually works fine.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

thankfully, extremely tacky orange is visible at this distance

[xiaomi is entering the laptop business.]

Pinterest Mom fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Dec 30, 2014

pram
Jun 10, 2001
*furrows brow and grimaces*

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Pinterest Mom posted:

why are you posting linux laptops in the microsoft thread?

pram
Jun 10, 2001

PleasureKevin posted:

microsoft has created a somewhat impressive series of options to test sites in IE without Windows

you can take a screenshot, use a free Azure instance of Windows or download and run a free VM

trouble is you will probably go through all these options before arriving at the one that actually works, the last one.

the screenshot sounds OK as long as you don't need to test hovers, javascript or literally anything after the page just loads. but it doesn't work with local stuff. so you have to put the stuff into production before testing in IE (haha that's what most of us do anyways right). there's a link to actually install the screenshot app on your local machine, though. it links to a github and after installing with npm, though, it turns out it just does a disgnotics test and there's no screenshots at all.

the next one, the windows instance on azure is somewhat neat. you just download Microsoft Remote Desktop (AKA Windows Technical Preview via Remote IE, powered by Azure RemoteApp, literally they call it that) and sign in with a free MS account. then you get access to just one app, and it opens any other window on your Mac. except it's just IE 11 and again you can only access live websites, not your local development environment.

the only solution to actually test IE8, 9 and 10 (~1, 2 and , 2.5% market share respectively) like your stupid company requires is to download the enormous virtual machine images, one each for each version of IE, and install and boot them up in whatever VM software you hate least. also there is some obscure compression software they use to package the downloads for some reason and you can only open them via command line iirc.

it's amazing they put so much effort into providing all these options while not understanding how and what people want to test. internet explorer has irrevocably damaged MS's reputation for every web developer and even more so once they spend 2 hours trying all these dumb testing options

kill desktop IE now and just make Xbox and Win Phone IE. put bing in the MS version of Firefox and ship that. bye.

actually the azure remoteapp owns and your dev environment should be on a digitalocean instance

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Pinterest Mom posted:

im going to guess miBook

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Pinterest Mom posted:

lol the company that Google exec joined and swore they didn't rip off apple

please dig up whether he headed this team or not

also now that everyone has figured out how to fab fake MacBooks is the perfect time to release the Air 2 with seamless rounded corners in every direction

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

PleasureKevin posted:

lol the company that Google exec joined and swore they didn't rip off apple

please dig up whether he headed this team or not

also now that everyone has figured out how to fab fake MacBooks is the perfect time to release the Air 2 with seamless rounded corners in every direction

*posts apple patent for macbook built w/non-euclidian geometry*

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

pram posted:

i wish

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

theadder I hope next year I do secret senpai and get to give you a great gift!!

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Wired posted:

Microsoft May Soon Replace Internet Explorer

gasp called it

quote:

With a New Web Browser

According to Foley, it will be a “lightweight” browser that looks and feels more like the Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox browsers

gently caress. OK, it will look and feel like both Firefox and Chrome at the same time? and be lightweight instead of reserving all RAM for itself? they're just name-dropping and muttering buzzwords.

quote:

There was a time when it handled about over 90 percent of all web traffic on desktop and laptop machines, but according to research outfit Net Applications, its share has now dropped to 58 percent. On mobile, its share is about 2 percent.

58% is a really optimistic number and the 3 other research groups say it's between 15-20%, and have arguably better methods. the traffic on the last major site (200 million+ sessions) was about 8% IE, and it was targeting mostly PC users since it was a gaming site lol. 58% is a fantasy.

quote:

Windows 10 is designed to run across a wide range of devices, and according to Foley, the new browser will be available on phones and tablets as well as laptops and desktops. It’s unclear whether Spartan will run on Android, Apple’s iOS, and other operating systems that compete with Windows, but Foley says there’s a chance it will. Under new CEO Satya Nadella, the company realizes that, in the modern world, its software must run on more than just Windows.

wow a browser for both laptops and desktops finally. and tablets and phones, oh golly. i wonder if this is a way of saying it'll be on iPhone in the way chrome is, and maybe mac too. but before i get excited that maybe i can test on IE stuff on Mac, no, you can't. cause this doesn't undo IE 6 through 10 which will always be there loving things up.

if they build automatic updates into this then in 5 years when IE is completely dead, it will be a job well done. their whole policy of "let the user decide if they should update or not" held back internet innovation (and really fancy designs) for everyone. but even without MS blessing, IE is being scrubbed from the net. but this is going to flop so hard.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

i don't know why i'm talking so much today, sorry

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Maximum Leader posted:

I don't see how a less functional ie would be any better. I think this might be a matter of rebranding the deck chairs again
p sure this is going to be the case

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
*clicks on the updated blue e icon* welcome to xbox xplorer!

• Locked thread