Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

ArfJason posted:

Also for that on guy who asked how to win at isaac.
You have to have in mind the quirks of many mechanics, like entering rooms from secret rooms, when to abuse stuff like bombs are key, cards, bombing donation machines and also the.shopkeeper at once.

But easily the most important thing is finding soul hearts, since they dont count as red.heart damage. not getting red heart damage on a.floor significantly raises your chance at a devil deal, and beating the boss without red heart damage raises it even further.

Tldr get soul hearts early, play smart

I've literally played this game for over 200 hours and thought it was damage on a boss fight/floor period and not red heart damage :eng99:

Dr. Fetus posted:

Sacrifice rooms (the ones with the spikes in the middle) on the other hand are almost never worth it. I can't really think of too many situations where you would want to make use of those.

Situations to use sacrifice rooms
- You're done with a floor, have no soul/evil hearts, and have a bunch of hearts laying around without a Dark Bum/Blood Donation Machine
- You're Eve, you want to trigger Whore of Babylon, you have no soul/evil hearts, and you get it at a convenient time
- You're Samson, have no soul/evil hearts, and found the super secret room with all the hearts/have a crapton of hearts from Bloody Penny goofery

I don't think there are any other ones. I've done the first before, but not 2 or 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Dr. Fetus posted:

Sacrifice rooms (the ones with the spikes in the middle) on the other hand are almost never worth it. I can't really think of too many situations where you would want to make use of those.

those suck a lot. guaranteed chest at 1 heart but its never ever worth it

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Got Whore of Babylon with Maggy the other day while dealing away all those extra hearts. Turns out for Maggy Whore still only triggers at half a heart. How the gently caress does that happen?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Jedit posted:

Got Whore of Babylon with Maggy the other day while dealing away all those extra hearts. Turns out for Maggy Whore still only triggers at half a heart. How the gently caress does that happen?

Whore only activates at a 1 full heart for Eve. For everyone else it's half a heart.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Dr. Fetus posted:

Whore only activates at a 1 full heart for Eve. For everyone else it's half a heart.

Which makes it pretty lovely to activate once your're in the womb.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
The shittiest thing about sacrifice rooms is that more often than not they seem to spawn a gold chest—and if I'm desperate enough to use a sacrifice room, I probably can't open it.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
SPVZ
VP2P

Isaac, Normal

First floor guppy on this seed- Treasure room contains Missingno- just use it to access the error room which has some guppy items, pick up 48 energy to port out. Curse room contains another guppy item which you can pick up, drop, and then re-roll.

Wasn't sure whether to keep missingno or D6 going forward though, just finished first floor myself.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I think you mean Undefined, Missingno is not a space bar item and doesn't teleport you.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Correct! My bad.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Ed posted on the BoI site again, this time asking for people to throw out new challenge ideas.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

You know, I would like to see something done with Isaac's Heart. I think that item has the potential to be used for a good challenge.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Dr. Fetus posted:

Which is such a weird decision on the part of Nicalis, they obviously knew that maintaining half a heart was a bad piece of gameplay but for some reason left it in for everyone else. I wish they'd just put it to 1 full heart for everyone. For such a fun game they occasionally seem very intent on making it less so.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

Prop Wash posted:

Which is such a weird decision on the part of Nicalis, they obviously knew that maintaining half a heart was a bad piece of gameplay but for some reason left it in for everyone else. I wish they'd just put it to 1 full heart for everyone. For such a fun game they occasionally seem very intent on making it less so.

"A bad piece of gameplay"? The game is supposed to be challenging and Whore of Babylon is supposed to be a risky item. They even changed the way blood donations work at 1 red heart on Womb+ floors to make it harder to maintain half a red heart without going full soul hearts. There's nothing wrong with something being situational and difficult to make full use of.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

The half heart thing was how it worked for everyone in the original. It's different for Eve because that was intended to be a buff for her since she wasn't too fun to play in flash Isaac. You can also permanently activate Whore for everyone if you get rid of all your red heart containers. Eve just has an easier time activating it.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Dr. Fetus posted:

You know, I would like to see something done with Isaac's Heart. I think that item has the potential to be used for a good challenge.

It would be weird to have a challenge that you could only unlock with the lost, though.

Felix_Cat
Sep 15, 2008
Polyphemus, Tech 0.5 is amazing, and even more so with Spoonbender. I'd enter the big 2x2 rooms and clear them almost instantly with half the monsters dying off-screen.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe

Ariong posted:

It would be weird to have a challenge that you could only unlock with the lost, though.

You don't need to worry about unlocked items with challenges. The Darkness Falls challenge gives you the sacrificial dagger, and you don't need to have it unlocked to play that challenge.

Toothache posted:

Except of course you need to unlock Loki's Horns to get Challenge #11.

The devs have a lot of flexibility when it comes to unlock conditions, just like they have a lot of flexibility when designing challenges. The point being that the global rules don't say you need an item unlocked to have it available for a challenge.

IMJack fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Dec 30, 2014

Toothache
Apr 5, 2011

Platypus = God's beta testing animal

IMJack posted:

You don't need to worry about unlocked items with challenges. The Darkness Falls challenge gives you the sacrificial dagger, and you don't need to have it unlocked to play that challenge.

Except of course you need to unlock Loki's Horns to get Challenge #11. Exceptions to every rule I suppose, I expect a lot more of those unlocks for challenges in the DLC, whenever that happens.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Dr. Fetus posted:

They don't seem to pay out very often with anything that was worth the effort or damage, but I will often use them if it is the 1st or 2nd floor, I haven't picked up any spirit hearts, and there enough red hearts on the ground for me to heal completely up. They seem to almost always spawn a golden chest so I never bother with them unless I have surplus keys. Also, I think they only pay out if they get you down to a half heart or heart and a half (the half seems to be the key), but they do a full heart of damage. So, do mess with them unless you are already at some kind of half heart.

I think they also pay out if they kill you, so if you get 9 lives early in the game you can kill your self on them and respawn to pick up what ever was dropped.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

You don't need Raw Liver to get The Tank either. Tiny Planet + Dr. Fetus is one I've mentioned before, idk what theme that would be though.

Toothache
Apr 5, 2011

Platypus = God's beta testing animal
Personally, I've never used a Sacrifice room in Rebirth. I wasn't afraid to make use of them in flash Isaac, but I feel there are too many better options to get consumable drops that it is simply not worth it now. Might have been to some extent when HM bomb/key drops were nerfed, but since that's fixed now it isn't worth the bother.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Dr. Fetus posted:

Left hand or guppys tail and a load of hearts on the floor.

Also invincibility still allows you to trigger the chest spawn. At least with Book of Shadows and the one rune.

Old bandage, swallowed penny, gimpy, and the fanny pack can also trigger off it so its not that awful

Skaw fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Dec 30, 2014

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe

Power of Pecota posted:

Situations to use sacrifice rooms
- You're done with a floor, have no soul/evil hearts, and have a bunch of hearts laying around without a Dark Bum/Blood Donation Machine
- You're Eve, you want to trigger Whore of Babylon, you have no soul/evil hearts, and you get it at a convenient time
- You're Samson, have no soul/evil hearts, and found the super secret room with all the hearts/have a crapton of hearts from Bloody Penny goofery

I don't think there are any other ones. I've done the first before, but not 2 or 3.

Maybe you want into a Boss Challenge Room, and there are no other productive ways to give up health available. Nor other ways to break into the challenge room, obv.

It's been a while since I deliberately ground down my health to activate Whore or suicide Lazarus. I tend to err on the side of "more health > live longer".

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Can Judas (or really anyone with the Book of Belial) still get angel rooms?

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Darth Windu posted:

Yes. The only thing which prevents Angel Rooms is making a Devil Deal. BoB just guarantees bonus rooms to spawn after a boss

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Darth Windu posted:

Yes, you just need to not pay for any items in any devil rooms. Taking any red chests or black hearts won't disqualify you from them. That said angel rooms kind of suck. Devil rooms are much better most of the time.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Angel items seem amazing! and they're free I hate giving up red hearts especially on my homeboy (Judas) who starts with one.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Dr. Fetus posted:

Yes, you just need to not pay for any items in any devil rooms. Taking any red chests or black hearts won't disqualify you from them. That said angel rooms kind of suck. Devil rooms are much better most of the time.

They've got some genuinely good stuff in them, but on average they tend to be worse than devil room stuff. And devil rooms often give you multiple things you can get, which makes you more likely to see something really good. The advantage of angel rooms is that you don't have to pay for the item, but as someone who enjoys playing Eve I basically dump all my heart containers ASAP so that's not an advantage sometimes.

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

In one moment, Earth; in the next, Heaven.

Darth Windu posted:

Angel items seem amazing! and they're free I hate giving up red hearts especially on my homeboy (Judas) who starts with one.

Devil room > Hey that sure is a nice brimstone and 2 black hearts

Angel room > Hey that sure is a nice... holy water.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
I just lucked into a chest configuration that had a 48 hour energy pill and another battery in the error room, with 2 item chests.

I was holding undefined at the time. For anyone who doesn't know, the light column in the error room on chest simply refreshes the chest- with all new items. I did this repeatedly. And I completely exhausted the item pool before I was finished- every pet, every activated item, every passive that can possibly drop in the chest, I found.

It was a fun run. Oddly enough, the 'speed is building' item triggered automatically whenever I entered a room- and everything was dead before it finished. I wish I didn't pick up epic fetus, because my regular tears were a sight to behold- Ludovico + quad shot + Sacred Heart + my reflection + parasite + crickets body + max range + piercing. Every tick of the Ludovico tear spawned a hellish amount of split tears from parasite and crickets body, which all immediately homed in on the nearest enemy, splitting again and again. Meanwhile the parent tear would pierce, turn around, hit the enemy again, and spawn a whole new set of daughter tears. Entire rooms would die in a swarm of homing tears. It was glorious.

So if anyone missing some items in their collection, keep an eye out for a chance at an infinite 'undefined' loop on the chest.

Now I just need to find the Steven item somehow and finish my store upgrades and I have real platinum God. How the heck do I get Steven? I can't imagine having an infinite d6 reroll setup on the floors you can actually run into him-

PoizenJam fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Dec 30, 2014

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

Poizen Jam posted:

How the heck do I get Steven? I can't imagine having an infinite d6 reroll setup on the floors you can actually run into him-

I got him the other day by restarting over and over as Azazel (for speedily beelining the boss room) until I got him as the Basement 1 boss (I think that's the only floor he can spawn on so you can immediately restart if you get Cellar). There's apparently a 1/6 chance for him to drop Steven rather than Little Steven, I lucked out and it dropped the first time I got him. Took about twenty minutes.

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

Poizen Jam posted:

Now I just need to find the Steven item somehow and finish my store upgrades and I have real platinum God. How the heck do I get Steven? I can't imagine having an infinite d6 reroll setup on the floors you can actually run into him-

It wouldn't even help, would it? Rerolled boss room items pull from the boss room pool, not the Steven pool.

I guess what you want is to start-scum for Little Steven, and then pray you run into Steven the boss, bearing in mind that he's Basement only.

EDIT ^^^ or that, yeah, that's a much less stupid way to go about it

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

There are some very powerful items in the Angel room, but they're either exceptionally rare (Sacred Heart, Godhead) or also in the Treasure room pool. Not to mention you're not even guaranteed an item, often you'll just get three soul or two eternal hearts.

It's a shame because it feels like Angel rooms should be better on average, considering you have to deliberately pass up a Devil room to even have a chance at getting them. And yet, unless you have some way of rerolling items you're better off just making that deal with Satan.

Huge Lady Pleaser
Jun 17, 2005

hello how r u doing im just looking for ppl 2 chill wit relax go out n have funn if ur looking for da same thing hit me up
Nap Ghost

:smith:

That's where the item spawned when I cleared the room.

BuckFitches
Mar 3, 2014
anyone else having a bitch of a time with the suicide king challenge? I keep being obliterated by myself consistently before i even leave the cellar. any tips?

zerocrash
Apr 14, 2009
I haven't finished it myself yet but when I do get around to it, I plan to try to go with Guppy's Head out of the first floor curse room. The fly damage should be able to clear most rooms so you won't be at risk of blowing yourself up as often I think.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
I cleared it after getting used to making direct hits with the bomb shots. You basically want to run toward something and shoot straight at it. The actual projectile's position is irrelevant - when the projectile's SHADOW (which travels in a straight line) connects with an enemy, it will blow them up.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

^^ Use this to get past the basement/caves, try and find anything that's based on attack damage and rely on that - Magic Fingers, Guppy's Head, Infested Baby, surprisingly Boomerang, Box of Spiders, Mom's Wig, Sissy Long Legs, idk what else

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Brett824 posted:

"A bad piece of gameplay"? The game is supposed to be challenging and Whore of Babylon is supposed to be a risky item. They even changed the way blood donations work at 1 red heart on Womb+ floors to make it harder to maintain half a red heart without going full soul hearts. There's nothing wrong with something being situational and difficult to make full use of.

I feel that the same risky gameplay would exist regardless of whether it's a half or whole heart, especially since barring the Wafer/Cancer you can't take just a half heart damage anyway, and it would maintain the inherent challenge. The only difference is that you'd avoid the painful micromanagement of that one half health, which to me isn't fun, but I'm sure some people think it is. The solution is for me to not bother with Whore unless I'm Eve, or more realistically just go to 0 red hearts through devil deals, which I mostly end up doing anyway. Still, I don't think it would ruin Whore to change it to a whole heart for everyone.

There was a community remix item that increased damage the fewer red hearts you had. I liked it a lot, although it ended up crazy overpowered since going full soul heart was even better in vanilla Isaac than in Rebirth, so it ended up being less of a sacrifice and more of a reward. I like that there's more reasons to seek out red heart damage in this game, like the fanny pack/Gimpy/piggybank combos, but soul hearts are still so good. Maybe that's why the perception of Whore is that the sacrifice component is having to micromanage halves versus wholes, because going down to 1/2 or 0 red hearts ends up being such a common thing anyway that it's not really a sacrifice for most people?

edit: and yeah for suicide king the trick is to always aim to have the ipecac shots explode on the enemy, if you just lob them then you'll end up taking more damage than you want. Remember that shot speed is increased when you move towards the direction you're firing, so basically you want to step at an enemy as you shoot at them. Try to move in only the four cardinal directions when possible, to minimize weird angles. Don't worry about taking an extra second to line up a shot, better that than taking damage to something dumb.

Prop Wash fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Dec 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Just unlocked everything with The Lost.

gently caress The Lost infinitely.