Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Asimo posted:

With eight traits, of course. Since not enough of a special snowflake as it was.

And since it's not Mary Sue enough, it's also that persons main character.
"You know what would make a great Doff? My self-insert Mary Sue Captain I'm already playing with."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Soviet Commubot posted:

For people who don't care enough to click, so they can see just how dumb this is:

We gave them gold, and they went with this garbage?

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Mary Sue: Origin posted:

This character can also be found burrowing her way into the good graces/heart/mind of one of the Big Three [Kirk, Spock, and McCoy], if not all three at once. She saves the day by her wit and ability, and, if we are lucky, has the good grace to die at the end, being grieved by the entire ship.

Its been nearly five years, how much longer do we have to wait for these guys?

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

Aw man, I lost. To that. I lost to Jan Darkrider.

:negative:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Now I'm sad I didn't submit an overpowered, over-storied doff literally named 'Mary Sue'.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

did i win every contest yet?

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

Acer Pilot posted:

did i win every contest yet?

Your prize is to give me all the ships

Goat Pillager
Mar 1, 2013
All of those doff contest winners are predictably awful. Did they decide this by pubbie votes or did Cryptic choose?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

If it had been public vote, I think Epohh girl would have won.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
All three doffs are female, of course.

Well, apart from the cat thing. That's been spayed.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Soviet Commubot posted:

For people who don't care enough to click, so they can see just how dumb this is:

What gets me is how terrible this is compared even to the other two 'winners'. Like, the other two are just kinda boring, but at least had some effort to edit things so they looked right and could be plausable doffs, while this one's just "I took a screenshot of my dude and gave him all the traits! AWESOME!"

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

I think that pubbie has been waiting for this doff contest for quite a while. I'm pretty sure I'd seen this dumb sig thing a while ago.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Angry Salami posted:

What gets me is how terrible this is compared even to the other two 'winners'. Like, the other two are just kinda boring, but at least had some effort to edit things so they looked right and could be plausable doffs, while this one's just "I took a screenshot of my dude and gave him all the traits! AWESOME!"

Yeah it's just sleazy self indulgent filth.

Violent Kitten
Dec 26, 2011

Dearmad bhean
an ti ag an gcat.

Soviet Commubot posted:

I think that pubbie has been waiting for this doff contest for quite a while. I'm pretty sure I'd seen this dumb sig thing a while ago.

Lose at least two traits and remove that stubborn line (it sounds like the sort of stilted quality lines they had in voyager though) and it'd be somewhat close to ok. Still rather useless cos who needs a melee doff against borg these days, but we can't expect much innovation from pubbies.
Wait. It's supposed to be female?!

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Violent Kitten posted:

Still rather useless cos who needs a melee doff against borg these days, but we can't expect much innovation from pubbies.

From the Twitter he runs for his character, linked in his sig on the official forums. I don't have it in me to dig any further into that pile of crazy but it seems that he really, really likes ground combat, and ground combat only.

Also

:kheldragar:

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Violent Kitten posted:

Lose at least two traits and remove that stubborn line (it sounds like the sort of stilted quality lines they had in voyager though) and it'd be somewhat close to ok. Still rather useless cos who needs a melee doff against borg these days, but we can't expect much innovation from pubbies.
Wait. It's supposed to be female?!

The player is a girl, and she designed Jan to look exactly like her, so it's mired pretty firmly in Mary Sue land, right down to the wacky lol her weakness is coffee angle.

BombermanX
Jan 13, 2011

I'm afraid of other people's opinions when they differ from my own. Please do not hurt my feelings.
gently caress THIS GAY EARTH

The whole name a doff was just a stunt for PR. I bet that bluegeek rear end in a top hat was behind it all along!

In other news, I'm remaking that foundry mission I made before I got banned. gently caress the haters.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Should have just made a literal Ensign Mary Sue as someone else suggested.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

Soviet Commubot posted:

From the Twitter he runs for his character, linked in his sig on the official forums. I don't have it in me to dig any further into that pile of crazy but it seems that he really, really likes ground combat, and ground combat only.

Also

:kheldragar:

:stonk:

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

DancingShade posted:

Should have just made a literal Ensign Mary Sue as someone else suggested.

Probably would have won, especially if you gave them every possible trait and some kind of heroic sacrifice buff.

Oh well.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

A doff with every trait would suck, way too many chances of disasters.

Lafarg
Jul 23, 2012

BombermanX posted:

gently caress THIS GAY EARTH

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

yup this bad game only gave me the account unlock for the t6 breen carrier.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
So funny story, one of the officers in my WoW guild used to work on Star Trek Online. According to him the reason he (and a few other people) quit is that Perfect World has a "formula" they use for all their MMOs and they were imposing it on STO, which clashed with the creative culture at Cryptic.

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.
Sounds about right. Things didn't start going to poo poo until PWE started to flex nuts down at Cryptic Studios.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

That's what the supposed employee reviews say.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

wdarkk posted:

So funny story, one of the officers in my WoW guild used to work on Star Trek Online. According to him the reason he (and a few other people) quit is that Perfect World has a "formula" they use for all their MMOs and they were imposing it on STO, which clashed with the creative culture at Cryptic.

Technical Analysis posted:

Sounds about right. Things didn't start going to poo poo until PWE started to flex nuts down at Cryptic Studios.
Yeah, I've never had actual proof of it but it's abundantly clear that PWE is forcing all sorts of bullshit onto Cryptic and running the game into the ground like an asian MMO rather than letting Cryptic continue doing the smart thing and growing it like they did for the past few years. Hopefully Delta Rising bombed enough that Cryptic might have some leverage to make changes... but it's more likely that, in the short term, the various whale-bleeding schemes probably made enough money that PWE doesn't give a gently caress.

Mondian posted:

That's what the supposed employee reviews say.
Ahahaha. Explains a lot here...

quote:

Most of the teams here do NOT play the games that they build. This is disheartening when trying to have a conversation about what works or not, and are shushed by someone who has only played a single level 20 toon (and only due to a bonus requirement).

quote:

Perfect World Entertainment may own the company, but it is the studio who get's all the backlash from players who are upset, by the decisions that were ultimately made by Perfect World management.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
Which of you owns an autistic dog?

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010
So as the servers been down for sometime, what have you been doing?

Goat Pillager
Mar 1, 2013

Supeerme posted:

So as the servers been down for sometime, what have you been doing?

Eating food, drinking mead, and not really caring or being too surprised that STO is down. Actually quite hoping it will stay dead all through new year worldwide for the sheer comedy factor.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

Goat Pillager posted:

Eating food, drinking mead, and not really caring or being too surprised that STO is down. Actually quite hoping it will stay dead all through new year worldwide for the sheer comedy factor.

It's not down, everyone was just banned.

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.
Didn't know it was down, still working. Probably won't be done for at least another hour.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

It's been dead all afternoon, I would give even chances at best of it being up before 2015.

A good excuse to play better games instead at least. :toot:

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I'm playing Warlords of Draenor. It even has doffs.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Asimo posted:

It's been dead all afternoon, I would give even chances at best of it being up before 2015.

That's in 5 minutes so I have my doubts :colbert:

CyanideRush
Apr 14, 2004
"oh cool, I've got a few minutes before leaving for this party; I'll got check/reset my doffs!"
*server status: down*
"welp"

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb
The game is up, but the chat server seems to be broken.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Sounds like an improvement to me.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

the game is suddenly so much better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
We can only hope they correct the issue concerning the Account-wide Plesh Bek Discount.

• Locked thread