Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Bobby Digital posted:

California Politics Thread: On the California Sperg Highway

How much time in the Assembly do you think is spent arguing about proper highway nomenclature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
NorCal turns against whichever party starts the War on Hella.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

NorCal turns against whichever party starts the War on Hella.

First they came for 'hella', and I did not speak out—
Because I'm not from NorCal.

Then they came for 'the O.C.', and I did not speak out—
Because I live in "Orange County", you rear end in a top hat. Get it right.

Then they came for 'ése', and I did not speak out—
Because we don't speak Mexican here in these United States! Learn to speak American!

Then they came for 'swole', and there was no one left to speak for me.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Bizarro Watt posted:

And amusingly, LA county only has 5. Now I'm just wondering if 5 is the minimum required. Inane question, but I was curious.
Maybe it's one of those "2 Libs, 2 Regressives and a Moderate" kind of deals.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

SomethingAwful posted:

First they came for 'hella', and I did not speak out—
Because I'm not from NorCal.

Then they came for 'the O.C.', and I did not speak out—
Because I live in "Orange County", you rear end in a top hat. Get it right.

Then they came for 'ése', and I did not speak out—
Because we don't speak Mexican here in these United States! Learn to speak American!

Then they came for 'swole' sperg, and there was no one left to speak for me.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
It looks like they 'cleaned up' the jungle 2 years ago and this time when it was destroyed, the very next day people were moving back. Looks like no real change has happened except it has been destroyed and hopefully cleaned up garbage a bit for them to resettle.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Crossposting from the 2016 senate thread but Boxer's retiring

quote:

A parade of ambitious California public figures, who’ve spent years itching for a shot at the state’s top political offices, are anticipating a shake-up of the state’s political hierarchy that could begin in a matter of weeks with the possible retirement of Democratic Sen. Barbara Boxer. And some big names — including the mayor of Los Angeles — are already sizing up possible bids to succeed her.

Sources close to Boxer, 74, say the outspoken liberal senator will decide over the holidays whether to seek reelection in 2016 and will announce her plans shortly after the new year. Few of her friends believe she will run for a fifth term. Boxer has stopped raising money and is not taking steps to assemble a campaign. With Republicans taking over the Senate, she is about to relinquish her chairmanship of the Senate Environment and Public Works Committee.

If she were to step aside, it would be the first big crack in the state’s upper political ranks in years. The last time the governorship was open was in 2010, when Jerry Brown, now 76, romped in a return to the job he first held more than three decades earlier. Boxer and California’s other senator, Democrat Dianne Feinstein, 81, were elected in 1992.

For a backlog of up-and-coming pols, their opportunity may finally be arriving — and it will be very hard to to pass up.

“There has been a bottleneck at the top,” said Mitchell Schwartz, a Democratic strategist who was Barack Obama’s California campaign director in 2008. “In a state of 37 million-plus [population] … elected officials either need to move up or they are out of the game and forgotten quickly.”

Democrat Eric Garcetti, the 43-year-old Los Angeles mayor, has had preliminary conversations about a possible campaign with Bill Carrick, a veteran political strategist in the state, according to one source. Carrick, who has served as Feinstein’s political adviser and helped guide Garcetti’s 2013 mayoral campaign, didn’t respond to a request for comment. A Garcetti spokesman, Jeff Millman, declined to address the discussions, saying only that the mayor “hopes and expects Senator Boxer will continue her strong leadership in the Senate.”

Others are being encouraged by supporters. At a New York City dinner last week sponsored by the League of Conservation Voters, liberal activists pressed Tom Steyer, the billionaire hedge-fund manager and environmentalist from San Francisco, to consider a bid. Steyer, who poured over $70 million into this year’s midterm election, gave a coy nonanswer in response, according to one person familiar with the exchange.

Most of the attention, though, is expected to center on a pair of rising stars: state Attorney General Kamala Harris, 50, and Lt. Gov. Gavin Newsom, 47, both Democrats. For years, politicos have buzzed about a potential showdown between the two. Both hail from Northern California and rose through the ranks at the same time. They even share the same campaign consultant: Averell “Ace” Smith, a longtime Hillary Clinton adviser and top political hand in the state. In November, Harris and Newsom were easily reelected.

But as anticipation of a Boxer retirement has grown, the two have gone out of their way in recent months to tamp down talk of a rivalry. In September, they held their first-ever joint fundraiser at a San Francisco restaurant, where they lavished praise on each other.

Many Democrats believe that either Harris or Newsom might run for Boxer’s seat, but not both, recognizing that a bitter primary could leave them damaged. One of them is likely to wait until 2018, when Brown will be termed out of office and Feinstein might step aside. Newsom, who waged a short-lived primary campaign for governor against Brown in 2009, has been open about wanting to run again for the top job.

“They aren’t going to tear each other up,” said Joe Cotchett, a prominent Northern California trial attorney who counts Harris and Newsom as friends.“I don’t know anyone that thinks they’re going to run against each other. … They’ll work something out.”

Boxer’s office declined to comment on the jockeying for her seat, or, for that matter, on her future plans. A spokesman, Zachary Coile, pointed to Boxer’s previous statements that she would announce her plans early next year. Boxer’s lack of fundraising — she has just $150,000 in her campaign account, a fraction of the $3.5 million she had at this point before her most recent campaign — has fueled the speculation that she will leave the Senate.

What is a near-certainty is that Democrats will keep the seat. Republicans have been shut out of every statewide office and lack a bench of strong candidates. In 2010, Republican Carly Fiorina, the former chief executive of Hewlett-Packard, lost to Boxer by 10 percentage points. The same year, former eBay CEO Meg Whitman spent $144 million as the Republican nominee for governor and lost to Brown by 13 points.

With their quasi-celebrity status, statewide name ID and deep fundraising connections, either Harris or Newsom would enter the race as the front-runner, handicappers say. But with a prize as rare as a California Senate seat in play, it’s assured that a long line of other Democrats in the liberal-friendly state would be in the running, too.

Since Harris and Newsom are both from the Bay Area, it could create an opening for someone from the much more population-rich southern part of the state. Former Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa is often mentioned as a potential candidate, as is his successor, Garcetti.

Other possible candidates include Rep. Jackie Speier, incoming California Secretary of State Alex Padilla and John Chiang, the outgoing state controller.

Some in the state are even buzzing about the possibility that Sheryl Sandberg, the Facebook chief executive and women’s advocate, might also jump in. A source close to her, however, said she “isn’t interested.”

As for Steyer, the wealthy environmentalist’s political consultant, Chris Lehane, wouldn’t say one way or the other.

“Tom has consistently said that he will consider the best ways to have the biggest impact,” Lehane wrote in an email.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2014/12/california-quake-113380.html#ixzz3LKvQ6gJf

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Feinstein's exit can't come soon enough, I am so sick of her. I don't mind Boxer as much, but they're both super-old and calcified.

Newsom is kind of a prick, but I guess he'd be OK. I'd love to see Camila Harris elected, and actually Jackie Speier might be my dream candidate. I happen to have had dinner with her (before she was elected to congress, we were at a fancy christmas party held by someone my wife works with, and she and her husband were randomly seated at our table), she's a genuine person, and she's very liberal. I had the opportunity to vote for her a few years ago, before we moved.

However, although she's fairly well-known as a member of congress for a district on the San Francisco peninsula, she might not have the name recognition in the southern part of the state like the politicians who have held statewide office. I doubt she'd win a primary against Newsom or Harris.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
So an entire city block of Los Angeles caught fire over the night.

A major part of what burned down was controversial luxury housing development where they most recently got approval to build a bridge over the top of the homeless population so the gentrifiers wouldn't have to dirty themselves.

A dude I know wanted to open a business in one of their buildings but they have no street level retail, it's all internal.

Zeitgueist fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Dec 8, 2014

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Leperflesh posted:

Feinstein's exit can't come soon enough, I am so sick of her. I don't mind Boxer as much, but they're both super-old and calcified.

Agreed. I don't mind Boxer much either, but at the same time we're quite liberal with our federal level politics here in California. If Boxer steps down, there's a rare opportunity for a strong left candidate to move into a secure senate seat. All the better if it isn't yet another member of the rank-and-file Dem core, but I guess we'll see.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Here's that image in huge version

Makes a nice wallpaper.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

FCKGW posted:

Here's that image in huge version

Makes a nice wallpaper.

Jesus christ, everyone needs to zoom this in and appreciate the scale of the flames compare to downtown LA.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Sydin posted:

Agreed. I don't mind Boxer much either, but at the same time we're quite liberal with our federal level politics here in California. If Boxer steps down, there's a rare opportunity for a strong left candidate to move into a secure senate seat. All the better if it isn't yet another member of the rank-and-file Dem core, but I guess we'll see.
Boxer is reliably liberal-to-left, but not much of a leader or noisemaker on liberal issues. DiFi is a conservative Democrat from the big business/military-industrial-surveillance state wing of the party, and I will dance an Irish Jig (as is the custom of my people) when she finally steps down.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Oh yeah don't get me wrong - gently caress Fienstein forever. My first experience with her was when I went to look up the backers of the old SOPA bill, only to find her, as a cosponsor. I wrote her office a pretty nasty letter, and I actually got a response - she regretted doing it "now that she had become aware of the full text of the bill", and that the way the bill had been originally sold to her was what convinced her to cosponsor it.

I replied to her that this was perhaps the absolute worst excuse she could give, since her one and only job is passing loving bills and maybe she should actually understand those bills before jumping on board full-steam? Funnily enough, never got a reply to that one. :v:

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I got a response when I sent her an email opposing the latest anti-flag-desecration amendment: "The flag, as a symbol of freedom, needs to be protected." I got the came response from Lois Capps. Boxer's response was like, "Right on, bro. poo poo's a waste of time."

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

Newsom is kind of a prick, but I guess he'd be OK. I'd love to see Camila Harris elected, and actually Jackie Speier might be my dream candidate. I happen to have had dinner with her (before she was elected to congress, we were at a fancy christmas party held by someone my wife works with, and she and her husband were randomly seated at our table), she's a genuine person, and she's very liberal. I had the opportunity to vote for her a few years ago, before we moved.

However, although she's fairly well-known as a member of congress for a district on the San Francisco peninsula, she might not have the name recognition in the southern part of the state like the politicians who have held statewide office. I doubt she'd win a primary against Newsom or Harris.

I suspect that Kamela Harris will aim for something in the Clinton administration, maybe AG. I think Newsom will run for Gov. I have no particular reason to make these guesses, just the vibe I've gotten from listening to various interviews they've given. If Boxer really does retire it may cause people to rethink their plans.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Zeitgueist posted:

So an entire city block of Los Angeles caught fire over the night.

A major part of what burned down was controversial luxury housing development where they most recently got approval to build a bridge over the top of the homeless population so the gentrifiers wouldn't have to dirty themselves.

A dude I know wanted to open a business in one of their buildings but they have no street level retail, it's all internal.

God has a good sense of humor

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Family Values posted:

Clinton administration
Not going to happen as long as republicans that have never heard of sean smith pretend to care about benghazi.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I dunno if this is super common knowledge among Californians or not, but Jackie Speier has an interesting background.

quote:

Speier entered politics by serving as a congressional staffer for Congressman Leo Ryan. Speier was part of his November 1978 fact-finding mission organized to investigate allegations of human rights abuses by the Reverend Jim Jones and his Peoples Temple followers, almost all of whom were American citizens who had moved to Jonestown, Guyana, with Jones in 1977 and 1978.[5] Speier was one of two members of the mission who made wills before traveling to Jonestown.[11] Several Peoples Temple members ambushed the investigative team and others boarding the plane to leave Jonestown on November 18. Five people died, including Congressman Ryan. While trying to shield herself from rifle and shotgun fire behind small airplane wheels with the other members of the team, Speier was shot five times and waited 22 hours before help arrived.[12] That same day, over 900 of the remaining members of the Peoples Temple died in Jonestown and Georgetown in a mass murder-suicide.

This is a lady who, despite being a career politician, has Seen Some poo poo. Her husband was killed in a car accident in 1994, when she was pregnant with their second child (she has since re-married).

I'm not universally in love with her position on every subject, mind you. Her gun control ideas are, as usual for the far left, correct in the general direction (we should have more and better gun control) but really dumb on the specifics (mandated universal trigger locks for all guns is both completely impractical and completely ineffective at addressing the vast majority of gun violence), and she apparently introduced a bill trying to set a national freeway speed limit of 60MPH in "urban areas."

But she's very firmly pro-choice, pro-gay rights, wants to directly address global warming, and as far as I can tell, her voting record seems pretty good.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

Feinstein's exit can't come soon enough, I am so sick of her. I don't mind Boxer as much
Yes.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2014/12/05/camp-pendleton-marines-to-conduct-training-in-downtown-la/#.VIJX9n74ntM.facebook

Possibly related to giant fires in LA, the Marines are doing exercises downtown.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

"You've earned points for reading!"

I hate everything. FTGE.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

I don't get all the dithering. She looks pretty awesome to me. I don't agree with all of her platforms, but not all disagreements are equal. This is a problem with the left: your middle paragraph disagreeing with her is longer than the two paragraphs where you do agree with her. It reads like someone saying, "I'm not racist, but [the most racist thing you've ever heard]. But it's not about race, it's about culture." Just own it and represent the folks you like. The enemy is doing a good job cribbing from Alinsky. I'm cool with us cribbing from Goldwater.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Shbobdb posted:

I don't get all the dithering. She looks pretty awesome to me. I don't agree with all of her platforms, but not all disagreements are equal. This is a problem with the left: your middle paragraph disagreeing with her is longer than the two paragraphs where you do agree with her. It reads like someone saying, "I'm not racist, but [the most racist thing you've ever heard]. But it's not about race, it's about culture." Just own it and represent the folks you like. The enemy is doing a good job cribbing from Alinsky. I'm cool with us cribbing from Goldwater.

I guess it just reflects the deep dissatisfaction many of us independent lefists have with the Democratic party.

I mean, I vastly, vastly prefer Democrats to Republicans. But there is no viable American party that actually represents me, and it tends to come out when I start talking about specific Democrats.

But you're absolutely right that, when it comes to political strategy, the Left constantly shoots itself in the foot by failing to be sufficiently enthusiastic about our chosen candidates.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
Good old SD. The less-failed cousin of Orange.

http://www.alternet.org/ca-city-council-staffer-fcking-idiot-ferguson-protesters-i-wanted-shoot-them

quote:

A staffer for a San Diego city councilwoman reacted to protesters who interrupted inauguration proceedings with “hands up, don’t shoot” by referring to the disruptors as “f*cking idiots,” before adding “I wanted to shoot them,” reports KPBS.

Shirley Owens, who serves as a community liaison to Councilwoman Lorie Zapf, made the comments in the front of members of the public and the press as they waited for an opportunity to speak with the councilwoman after she was sworn in to serve a new term.

The protesters began their rally outside San Diego’s Golden Hall, chanting “hands up, don’t shoot,” before entering the building. Once inside they rotated between gestures of raising their arms up, putting their hands around their throats, and staging a “die in” by lying down on the ground.

Following the inauguration ceremonies, a frustrated Owens was heard saying, “f*cking idiots with their hands up” and “I wanted to shoot them.”

Mark Jones, the 33-year-old Marine veteran who led the protest, said Owen’s comments were an example of the “bigotry” and “racial discrimination” that he and other members of the group were protesting against.

“I know that I have to go through this very system to produce change. I have to fight against that just so I can get our human rights,” he said.

Jones handed a list of demands calling for changes in how police and prosecutors deal with deadly force cases to each of the city council members he could reach. Unable to speak with Zapf, Jones said, “Just imagine, what if I couldn’t get to the council member and I got to (Owen) instead and it was her job to relay this to the council?”

According to Owen’s city biography page, she went to work for Zapf’s office bringing over thirty years of customer service experience working for Nordstrom.

She worked retail for Nordstrom! Obviously quality government material.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

FRINGE posted:

Good old SD. The less-failed cousin of Orange.

http://www.alternet.org/ca-city-council-staffer-fcking-idiot-ferguson-protesters-i-wanted-shoot-them

She worked retail for Nordstrom! Obviously quality government material.

SD mayor or city government getting into hot water is a must have for any california politics bingo game.

http://voiceofsandiego.org/2013/02/19/hall-of-dishonor-sds-eight-most-scandalous-mayors/

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
So the final counts for the gubernatorial votes are in. Only 7,317,581 votes were cast for governor in the unexciting first Election under the Top 2 system for governor, down from 10,095,183. And that means it will only take ~365,880 signatures to get a proposition on the ballot in the next 4 years (585,407 for an amendment), down from 504,760 signatures (807,615 for an amendment) in the past 4 years. Combine that with the new legislation mandating the Assembly hold hearings on any proposal that gets 25% of that figure (~91,470 signatures) and giving proponents an extra month to get signatures, and it looks like it could get pretty interesting. So look forward to a lot of fun propositions in 2016 and 2018... :getin:

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

ComradeCosmobot posted:

So the final counts for the gubernatorial votes are in. Only 7,317,581 votes were cast for governor in the unexciting first Election under the Top 2 system for governor, down from 10,095,183. And that means it will only take ~365,880 signatures to get a proposition on the ballot in the next 4 years (585,407 for an amendment), down from 504,760 signatures (807,615 for an amendment) in the past 4 years. Combine that with the new legislation mandating the Assembly hold hearings on any proposal that gets 25% of that figure (~91,470 signatures) and giving proponents an extra month to get signatures, and it looks like it could get pretty interesting. So look forward to a lot of fun propositions in 2016 and 2018... :getin:
So a per-house cash subsidy granted to Exxon, a pound of literal flesh for PGE and SCE, all solar panels to be smashed and sent at owners cost to Halliburton, and some other awesome things on the horizon.

100,000 signatures is basically free to the industries that hate sustainable progress.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

FRINGE posted:

100,000 signatures is basically free to the industries that hate sustainable progress.
In my experience, signature gatherers seem to have 2 or 3 initiatives. At least one will sound good on the surface and another will be a regressive bill with big business backing. I had one of these guys get pretty irate with me when I signed one initiative, but refused to sign the union busting one a couple years ago.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

CopperHound posted:

In my experience, signature gatherers seem to have 2 or 3 initiatives. At least one will sound good on the surface and another will be a regressive bill with big business backing. I had one of these guys get pretty irate with me when I signed one initiative, but refused to sign the union busting one a couple years ago.

I remember two of these guys going to me for the Six Californias initiative, and when I told the second one I'd throw myself off a cliff before I sighed his petition, he tried guilt-tripping me by saying "I get paid based on how much signatures I get...I'd like this to happen, but I know it probably won't make it to the ballot anyway..."

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

I remember two of these guys going to me for the Six Californias initiative, and when I told the second one I'd throw myself off a cliff before I sighed his petition, he tried guilt-tripping me by saying "I get paid based on how much signatures I get...I'd like this to happen, but I know it probably won't make it to the ballot anyway..."

It's funded by Tim Draper which is pretty much a perfect head in the clouds loathsome techie.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

etalian posted:

It's funded by Tim Draper which is pretty much a perfect head in the clouds loathsome techie.

Even my Stanford techie acquaintances think Draper is a moron for his Six California malarkey. Which says something since they were crying rivers for Satoshi Nakamoto, the bit coin dude.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Signatures submitted to fight California bag ban

:cry: It'll cost us joooooobs. :cry:

Can the bag manufacturers not retool to produce other plastic stuff?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

CPColin posted:

Signatures submitted to fight California bag ban

:cry: It'll cost us joooooobs. :cry:

Can the bag manufacturers not retool to produce other plastic stuff?

It begins... :getin:

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
I live in LA and having to use paper bags to carry poo poo is super lovely especially when your car is far away from your place.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
And plastic bags are better? Do you have any reusable canvas or recycled plastic bags?

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.
How California's New Rules Are Scrambling The Egg Industry

Npr article on the new regulations saying that all eggs sold in the state have to come from chickens that have enough room to essentially turn around and flap their wings. I was wondering why egg prices seemingly doubled recently, I guess this explains it.

While I sympathize with people on really tight food budgets, I'm all for this. Chickens are really loving awesome, and I will pay extra if it means treating them with as much respect and compassion as possible.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I only buy free range eggs anyway. They cost like twice as much, but that's still like less than four bucks for twelve eggs that last me and my wife for at least a couple weeks.

Also I just keep a couple reusable bags in my car and bring them in when I buy groceries or whatever, it's not difficult and it keeps the bags from piling up at home.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

CPColin posted:

And plastic bags are better? Do you have any reusable canvas or recycled plastic bags?

Plastic doesn't rip if I hold it wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Leperflesh posted:

I only buy free range eggs anyway. They cost like twice as much, but that's still like less than four bucks for twelve eggs that last me and my wife for at least a couple weeks.

There is no legal definition of any of the terms, and "free-range" can literally mean that there's one door in the barn, good luck getting to it. :( http://www.humanesociety.org/issues/confinement_farm/facts/guide_egg_labels.html

(I stick to "cage-free" or "free-range".)