Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
does sao work on the vita tv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

corn in the bible posted:

it's based on how strong the enemy is. if you punch a tough enemy or a boss you'll get skills immediately.

Yeah, skill sparking is only semi-random and there's a bunch of factors that work into it. Fighting enemies that are stronger than you (especially bosses) gets you them very quickly. Being in a very bad situation also helps the chances (one dude left alive on a boss almost guarantees you to learn one or two). I believe usually you learn techniques best by just using normal attacks, but some of them can only be learned by using specific techniques you've already learned.

Typically through the course of the game it all averages out and you'll end up with a pretty regular set of techs. It's not a big deal.

Just remember, it's Romancing SaGa, so the #1 more important rule is to not grind. Avoid random battles as much as possible during the early and mid game (use the skills that let you stealth/sneak to avoid them and earn gems). Do as many quests as possible.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

does sao work on the vita tv

Yes! That's what I'm playing it on now.

Tamba posted:

It's L+down

It doesn't last forever, so don't use it too early, or else everyone will rush back in and finish off the boss while you're waiting for your SP to recharge...

Ok, thanks. So it's kind of a juggling act to get them away for however long, have enough SP and dominate the boss' last few HP. If your partner gets the last hit, do you get the item?

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Levantine posted:

Ok, thanks. So it's kind of a juggling act to get them away for however long, have enough SP and dominate the boss' last few HP. If your partner gets the last hit, do you get the item?

I don't think so.
If you want to savescum it, the game only autosaves after you've confirmed the battle results screen, so if you restart the game before that, you can try again.

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

Lvl 104 and still going around fighting the forest's ecosystem.

You start at lvl 100, so it's basically like lvl 4 in any other game

Sakurazuka posted:

God drat look at that UI, nice of them to have a small window showing what's actually going on instead of sticking more icons there.
To be fair, the skill palette/call palette stuff only appears if you hold a shoulder button, so it's not quite that bad most of the time.

vvvvv that too

Tamba fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Dec 29, 2014

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
well I mean it's simulating an MMO so awful UI is par for the course

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Tamba posted:

I don't think so.
If you want to savescum it, the game only autosaves after you've confirmed the battle results screen, so if you restart the game before that, you can try again.

You start at lvl 100, so it's basically like lvl 4 in any other game

To be fair, the skill palette/call palette stuff only appears if you hold a shoulder button, so it's not quite that bad most of the time.

vvvvv that too

Yeah, the UI is not too bad. The left and right hand sides of the screen only have stuff if you're hitting R1/L1.

Thanks for the tip about savescumming. I figured it autosaved right away so I just lost the Floor 76 item to Schneider.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Endorph posted:

I'm playing Etrian Odyssey 3 for the first time and trying to use a Buccaneer on the front line, and, well, let's just say I'm getting the message 'Gilder is dead.' a lot. My Monk and Hoplite can only do so much to keep him up, since he seems to take like half his HP from most anything.

Are Buccaneers just not really able to be on the frontline, even though it's an option? He seems way too flimsy, unless I'm missing one skill or another. Or is it because it's just him and my Hoplite in the front row?

Enemy AI in the early game is kind of generous to you in that it preferentially targets characters with higher current HP, so if you focus on keeping your Hoplite healed, that'll probably help keep your Buccaneer alive better than actually healing your Buccaneer would. Having said that, EO3's class balance is unfortunately kinda wonky and Buccaneers are among the underperforming classes (outside of a couple of specific late-game builds). You can use one and they'll mostly do okay, just don't expect miracles from them.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated
Wasteland 2 is on Steam sale is 50% off. That was too good to miss. Also, playing Shadowrun Dragonfall right now, and man has the writing improved from the first game. I did like the OG version, but it was an obvious first effort and Dragonfall improved on many aspects.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

Dragonfall is basically the game Shadowrun was supposed to be. The main Dead Man's Switch campaign is more of an extended tutorial/game engine showcase on account of it being massively rushed because Shadowrun actually released basically on time, unlike every other Kickstarter game ever.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Baby Babbeh posted:

Dragonfall is basically the game Shadowrun was supposed to be. The main Dead Man's Switch campaign is more of an extended tutorial/game engine showcase on account of it being massively rushed because Shadowrun actually released basically on time, unlike every other Kickstarter game ever.

DMS was actually pretty good all things said. Now it was a bit limited but that was ok considering first effort and pricing. Dragonfall is though truly excellent, at least 10 hours in. I still hate inventory management and lack thereof for your fellow runners but that's not a huge deal in the grand scheme of things. I will probably kickstarter Episode 3 now.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

oblomov posted:

DMS was actually pretty good all things said. Now it was a bit limited but that was ok considering first effort and pricing. Dragonfall is though truly excellent, at least 10 hours in. I still hate inventory management and lack thereof for your fellow runners but that's not a huge deal in the grand scheme of things. I will probably kickstarter Episode 3 now.

DMS is decent to good up until the final mission stretch where it tanks hard. Dragonfall is truly excellent, as you said. I didn't kickstart the first game but after seeing what they are capable of, I'll probably throw my money at their new Kickstarter as well.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

I'm not saying DMS is bad, it's just clearly extremely rushed and not everything the team wanted it to be. It's fairly barebones, with some pacing and balance issues that probably would have been ironed out by a more extended development cycle. It's a good introduction to the game engine and what Shadowrun is capable of for modders, but it feels like a fairly polished mod rather than a complete game. Dragonfall, on the other hand, is excellent. I was a little disappointed after backing the game when it first came out, but Dragonfall addressed my concerns and then some, and I'm definitely going to back Episode 3.

evilskillit
Jan 7, 2014

METAL TOADS
Catching up from the last couple of weeks. The classic JRPG and Working Designs discussion reminds me of my Turbo Duo and Cosmic Fantasy 2. It was before WD got really bad but I do remember one of the first lines of the game in which the spear wielding protagonist runs into his uncle and the guy says "Hey Van, is that a spear or are you just happy to see me?" :(

I still miss that game tho, and it deviated a bit from the boy meets girl, boy saves girl, everyone lives happily ever after. I wish there had been translations, even fan translations of some of the later games. I'd probably actually play through them just to see where the series went.

Also Ys 1&2 on CD with that wonderful CD audio were game changing for me in their time. That's when I really started to care about game music.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Is that Sweet Home?'

Also your link and the image itself don't match. :confused:

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
How long are Wild Arms 4 and 5? I'm inclined to pass on them because the stuff I heard is discouraging to me (apparently running screaming from the already loose western theme, having a less favorable reception in general) but if they're not enormously long I might play them anyway out of completionism.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I agree that I didn't think DMC was particularly good, but I also feel strangely unimpressed by Dragonfall, and for the life of me I couldn't say why. It felt like a slog for a lot of the game. I loved the story, and appreciated the nice touches like the Green Winters stuff, but actually playing felt slightly like a chore. Maybe I had a crappy character or a poor handle on the mechanics.

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Exhibition C: Colgate white smile

mycot posted:

How long are Wild Arms 4 and 5? I'm inclined to pass on them because the stuff I heard is discouraging to me (apparently running screaming from the already loose western theme, having a less favorable reception in general) but if they're not enormously long I might play them anyway out of completionism.

Quite frankly, you could run through Wild ARMs 4 in one day. Wild ARMs 5 on the other hand, takes a bit longer to get through.

In all honesty, if you ignore the voice acting...and the characters...and the story, it isn't that bad. The game play is pretty fun to go through, even if they did get rid of the Tools system from Wild ARMs 1-3.

Now if only they could remake Wild ARMs 3 with the HEX battle system...

Variant_Eris fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Dec 30, 2014

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

mycot posted:

How long are Wild Arms 4 and 5? Zxx zxCxmcbxzzzg inclined to pass on them because the stuff I heard is discouraging to me (apparentlyLkkah running screaming from the already loose western theme, having a less kfavorable reception in general) but if they're not enormously long I might play them anyway out of completionism.

In no way is it worth it. You could play XF I guess, its at least got good combat.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Zereth posted:

Is that Sweet Home?'

Also your link and the image itself don't match. :confused:

Sweet Home is grand.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Sweet Home is grand.

Anyone who hasn't played Sweet Home doesn't know how to live and owes it to themselves to try it. I wish there were more games like it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the sweet home movie is pretty hilarious

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Endorph posted:

the sweet home movie is pretty hilarious

I've never had the courage to check it out. I always assumed it was bad or unwatchable or something.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

MockingQuantum posted:

I've never had the courage to check it out. I always assumed it was bad or unwatchable or something.
Given that Sweet Home is a horror thing and the movie was just described as hilarious I'm going to guess that it is, in fact, bad. Just in an entertaining way.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I feel like butting into this discussion to mention there's an Ao Oni movie.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

HGH posted:

I feel like butting into this discussion to mention there's an Ao Oni movie.

ao oni is only enjoyed by stupid manchildren and literal retards

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Yes.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

In no way is it worth it. You could play XF I guess, its at least got good combat.

How did you mess that quote up dude

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

ao oni is only enjoyed by stupid manchildren and literal retards

Seems like the perfect place to talk about it then

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Gamma Nerd posted:

How did you mess that quote up dude
I guess it's related to how he screwed up the image link in that one post? :psylon:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Zereth posted:

Given that Sweet Home is a horror thing and the movie was just described as hilarious I'm going to guess that it is, in fact, bad. Just in an entertaining way.
its got some legitimately decent atmosphere but the acting is hammy as hell (so basically it's a 90s japanese horror movie)

its definitely watchable tho, and it's got merits outside of 'so bad its funny'

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

mycot posted:

WA4 is like 20 hours long, but once you're out of the tutorial area the pace is really quick.

I never finished WA5 because I couldn't loving stand any character except for Greg, but it felt considerably longer.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

5 is about 40-60 hours long.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I'm kind of glad the only Wild Arms I finished was WA1. That one was really enjoyable for its time. I played like part of WA4 and remember quitting after the scene where the girl asked the guy to hold her hand to stop him from being scared. Hard to believe that game was only 20 hours long, I was probably close to the end then I guess.

I really should play the rest of the 'good' WAs but I just don't think there are any others. Have never touched XF either despite it being a SRPG, hmmmm.

Feeling a Breath of Fire itch lately after all the chat.

[e] Hmmm, actually WA3 looks like it would have aged really well. Might have to try that one.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Dec 31, 2014

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

xf is cool. also is langrisser iv supposed to be the landius murders everyone game, with occasional guest appearences by other people? cause hes already into his third tier while everyone else is like mid second, and the troops he can hire are better than the rest of my army. also mclaine kinda sucks.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
All the Langrisser games are like that. The game's overall difficulty is basically decided by how you build the MC but you have to be really intentional to wreck your MC. Everyone else is there to make the missions go faster.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Wild Arms 3 is really good but is really long. It's basically like they made 3 games with the same cast and basically no plot connection except the development of said cast and then crammed them all into one game.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Endorph posted:

Wild Arms 3 is really good but is really long. It's basically like they made 3 games with the same cast and basically no plot connection except the development of said cast and then crammed them all into one game.
Beats the .Hack solution of making one game and stretching it over four, full-price releases! :v:

But yeah play WA3. It's the only game which really delivers on the western theme that was kinda rubbed gently on the first game.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Wild Arms was heavily influenced by Trigun, which was a sci-fi/western mix.

3 is the only game that really handles that blend well, though. 1 and 2 just sort of have the western stuff as a coat of paint, and 4 and 5 basically strip it out entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

Cake Attack posted:

xf is cool. also is langrisser iv supposed to be the landius murders everyone game, with occasional guest appearences by other people? cause hes already into his third tier while everyone else is like mid second, and the troops he can hire are better than the rest of my army. also mclaine kinda sucks.

Yeah, that's how it works, unless you made him a mage in which case it's more like Landius and whoever can cast Decline wrecks everyone even more easily (Decline is a broken spell that can't miss and turns 1-2 damage spells into 6-7 damage, and anything above 4 into instant kill). Mage Landius is also silly because of how you can use character creation bonuses to pump his Ballistas' attack stat to the point where they one or two shot bosses from the other side of the screen. If memory serves there's only one fight in the entire game that's actually kind of hard, and it's only hard if you want to win it by killing everyone instead of going for the easier objective. It's the last fight for the demon route.

What's kind of sad is that Langrisser IV is actually probably the hardest game in the series. Apparently it was too hard, though, because Langrisser V is an utter cakewalk.