Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Do "You guys don't like Alpacas I guess. Huh." in mint flavor. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

David Byrne - Like Humans Do (Radio Edit).mp3
I played this game like a year ago.

Have they really not added anything? Like what would the three big bullet points be if I moved to unstable?

Fake edit: I'm reading up and holy poo poo nothing has happened. How is that even possible? If you have 9 years of lovely salary hows about hire more devs to finish the loving game while it matters to anyone, instead of jerking off for 9 years?

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.

I thew in a little something extra for you. :getin:

Edit:

Rrussom fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Dec 30, 2014

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

androo posted:

I played this game like a year ago.

Have they really not added anything? Like what would the three big bullet points be if I moved to unstable?

moving to unstable makes you want to put three big bullets in your brain

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
They claim to have done a bunch of engine rewrites but I dunno

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

I feel honored. Thank you!

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Ahundredbux posted:

They claim to have done a bunch of engine rewrites but I dunno

Yeah it's not like you can play the update like RIGHT NOW or anything

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

I wish someone would rewrite my car's engine. Into a DeLorean. So I might change history and pass on this trainwreck of a game

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Shoehead posted:

Yeah it's not like you can play the update like RIGHT NOW or anything

Well listen , it's quite possible that they've done a bunch of stuff but as an end user all I see is a bunch of nothing

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I asked if this game were any good and it looks as if no one's even played it here.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Flameingblack posted:

I asked if this game were any good and it looks as if no one's even played it here.

Nice try knucklehead, but I did an LP of it in this very thread. I think I know what I'm talking about

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I remember thinking a year ago that all Early Access was a scam and an exercise in frustration, but that Starbound seemed to be the exception to the rule. They seemed to have a roadmap, and know exactly how they were gonna get from the game's current state to the release, and they were releasing updates and talking about upcoming poo poo a lot and....what happened? Was this just a fever dream, or did they go crazy and forget about making videos?

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Flameingblack posted:

To be quite honest even as one of the bigger supporters here, no, it's not really good. I mean there's a lot of content, so you can screw around for a while and have a lot of fun for a pretty long time but that shouldn't be taken to mean it's an actual functioning, well put together piece of game. If you're looking for a solid early access experience try Nuclear Throne or something.

Meanwhile, modders are still making great poo poo, this guy just released a big update to his MMX mod, not sure what all is in the update but this video is from back in September:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUHUHmdVX7A

:walljumps:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

counterfeitsaint posted:

I remember thinking a year ago that all Early Access was a scam and an exercise in frustration, but that Starbound seemed to be the exception to the rule. They seemed to have a roadmap, and know exactly how they were gonna get from the game's current state to the release, and they were releasing updates and talking about upcoming poo poo a lot and....what happened? Was this just a fever dream, or did they go crazy and forget about making videos?

Nothing happened, you were just wrong about Starbound. Early Access has proven a few times it can give us something worth a drat (Divinity, Wasteland, Nuclear Throne looks good so far) but it's still a big risk basically paying a developer to beta test their lovely games

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
nuclear throne does own

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
There's something oddly comforting about not reading a thread for 6 months, then coming back to it to find that it's still the exact same awful posts being made.

Never change, Starbound thread. :allears:

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Eonwe posted:

nuclear throne does own
It owns a lot

Other early access that I bought and wasn't sad about are Underrail, Neo Scavenger and Dungeonmans(though I bought it like two days before it moved out of early access lol)

QuantaStarFire posted:

Never change, Starbound thread. :allears:
I sure hope it doesn't!

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Flameingblack posted:

The thread is the game.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

XboxPants posted:

try Nuclear Throne

Everyone should go do this. There are daily challenges now.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
actually starbound is a really good, and fun game, that is well on its way to completion, as this latest update showcases. rock on, starbounders.

lunatikfringe
Jan 22, 2003
After following a lot of early access games, it seems pretty common for the developer to hit a "lull" in the pre-launch buzz. It usually means momentum has slowed, updates are much less frequent, and community updates not as exciting. Its probably all part of the natural game development process, but one of the drawbacks to early access is having to appease the masses constantly or risk a lot of negative feedback. I doubt there is much chance of Starbound devs dropping the project as they sold a lot of copies for a pretty decent sum. Starbound has a lot of lofty goals and I am sure it is starting to require a lot of back end changes to make certain things happen. I knew I was signing up for a pre-beta and am prepared to wait as long as it takes.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

lunatikfringe posted:

After following a lot of early access games, it seems pretty common for the developer to hit a "lull" in the pre-launch buzz. It usually means momentum has slowed, updates are much less frequent, and community updates not as exciting. Its probably all part of the natural game development process, but one of the drawbacks to early access is having to appease the masses constantly or risk a lot of negative feedback. I doubt there is much chance of Starbound devs dropping the project as they sold a lot of copies for a pretty decent sum. Starbound has a lot of lofty goals and I am sure it is starting to require a lot of back end changes to make certain things happen. I knew I was signing up for a pre-beta and am prepared to wait as long as it takes.

Highlander spotted

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Who cares how long it's going to take. Who cares if it takes another year. The problem is Tiy's weird obsession with punishing the player for adventuring and exploring. Chucklefish just doesn't know how to make the game fun

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

oddium posted:

The problem is Tiy's weird obsession with punishing the player for adventuring and exploring. Chucklefish just doesn't know how to make the game fun

the f*ck are you talking about

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

oddium posted:

Who cares how long it's going to take. Who cares if it takes another year. The problem is Tiy's weird obsession with punishing the player for adventuring and exploring. Chucklefish just doesn't know how to make the game fun

This really is the crux of it; this game may someday be finished, but it will never be fun. Every update and blog post adds grind and bad, poorly-thought-out mechanics. If the game showed signs of improvement or listening to the community, I would (and I'm sure others would) be standing up for the game and its strange development cycle. But digging is taking longer, combat is becoming more of a chore, and missions are becoming gated bullshit. They're going backwards much more than they are going forwards, and even when 1.0 comes out, I've lost faith that it will be worth playing at all.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

THE PENETRATOR posted:

the f*ck are you talking about

• You move slower when running backwards
  • You can attack twice before running out of energy
  • Mining is abysmally slow
  • The pixel perfect jumping dungeon
  • Sandming will not come back

And that's not all

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
mining being slow, all the lovely tedious quests, etc.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

oddium posted:

And that's not all

u even play the new update?? wtf??

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

oddium posted:

And that's not all

There's more??!?

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
im the arbiter of games

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

wtf?!??

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
if u dont like starbound youre trash tier and your opinion is gay, or, homosexual

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

[taps "No Trolling" sign]

This thread is for people who wish to discuss the development of Starbound.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
trolling is legal

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
Trolling is against my religion I'm afraid.

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.

THE PENETRATOR posted:

trolling is legal

But being a retard isn't. Come with me, before the mods catch us.

stuntwaffle
Mar 7, 2007

I wish Starbound was a dick so I could put it in my ass and mouth!

THE PENETRATOR posted:

if u dont like starbound youre trash tier and your opinion is gay, or, homosexual

I'm homo, some would say a huge fag even, and guess what: starbound is actually good

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

stuntwaffle posted:

I'm homo, some would say a huge fag even, and guess what: starbound is actually good

I've checked your sources and I'm finding some serious methodological flaws here.

For instance, Starbound is bad.

stuntwaffle
Mar 7, 2007

I wish Starbound was a dick so I could put it in my ass and mouth!

Afraid of Audio posted:

I've checked your sources and I'm finding some serious methodological flaws here.

I have the mental illness that makes me crave huge amounts of cock and play Starbound 24/7 and I can attest: it's great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Afraid of Audio posted:

• Locked thread