Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
its a little known fact that hitler was so paranoid because he spent all of his life fighting and killing time travellers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Colonel Cool posted:

What if you murdered Hitler huh???

Well, the only person to successfully murder Hitler was Hitler. Would you consider him Good?

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...
Too little, too late. Neutral at best.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I think the real unexplored question on all of this is where does this action fit in with the alignment system in... hang on... give me a minute...

gently caress. There's no other RPG system in existence stupid enough to have an alignment system. Perhaps Gary Gygax is the truly chaotic-evil one.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
Did Han Solo "slip up" by shooting Greedo first, and that's why DM George Lucas had it retconned?

edit: ^^^^ Also, Palladium did with analogues for most of the alignments D&D presented

Bell_ fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Dec 30, 2014

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Random Stranger posted:

I think the real unexplored question on all of this is where does this action fit in with the alignment system in... hang on... give me a minute...

gently caress. There's no other RPG system in existence stupid enough to have an alignment system. Perhaps Gary Gygax is the truly chaotic-evil one.

Most (Western) RPG's have at least some sort of karma system.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Raenir Salazar posted:

Most (Western) RPG's have at least some sort of karma system.

Nuke a town, donate a couple gallons of water to the nearest beggar, achieve sainthood.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Ursine Asylum posted:

Nuke a town, donate a couple gallons of water to the nearest beggar, achieve sainthood.

Eat baby chickens or eat tofu... Either way the rest of the game is exactly the same. :v:

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Random Stranger posted:

Roll for Humanity loss.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Random Stranger posted:

Perhaps Gary Gygax is the truly chaotic-evil one.

Patricia Pulling was right all along.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

These are DnD adventurers, they kill people for a living. I wouldn't get too hung up on one murder.

That being said, when Haley killed that girl, she was directly choosing violence over peace. They had reached an agreement with the thieves' guild, and Haley chose to break the peace herself, and now it's coming back to bite her.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Shwqa posted:

Eat baby chickens or eat tofu... Either way the rest of the game is exactly the same. :v:
This post made me remember the decade long cycle of "Peter Molyneub promises the sun, gives a lightbulb, wait six months, repeat" that games journalism at the time always got caught up in.

Basically what I'm saying is that Molynerd is a hack and has never sold a game on anything but hype.

Hey, it'll be better than another alignment derail.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Dec 30, 2014

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Poison Mushroom posted:

This post made me remember the decade long cycle of "Peter Molyneub promises the sun, gives a lightbulb, wait six months, repeat" that games journalism at the time always got caught up in.

Basically what I'm saying is that Molynerd is a hack and has never sold a game on anything but hype.

Molynueb is hack. Least fable 1 was fun to break. Getting a 20x multipler, poping all your exp potions, and then selling bunch of goods to traveling merchant within the first hour or so of play was really satisfying.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Zoe posted:

That's called loving up the time line and it's a pretty amateurish mistake! More experienced travelers are always having to go and clean up after people like you and it gets old, okay.

http://www.tor.com/stories/2011/08/wikihistory

Yeah Man
Oct 9, 2011

And if you had, you know, a huge killer robot at your command, yeah, that would just clutter things up; and a lesser person might want that kind of overwhelming force on their side, but you know - where's the challenge in that?

Poison Mushroom posted:

Dungeon Keeper is the sole exception.

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

Don't forget Populous. It was a good game that sold on its own merits and helped to build Molyneux's ability to sell bullshit later on.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

oobey posted:

Don't forget Populous. It was a good game that sold on its own merits and helped to build Molyneux's ability to sell bullshit later on.
Theme Park, too.

I want to say Theme Hospital, but apparently his main role on that was "Moral Support". Either way it was a drat good game, albeit hard.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Dec 31, 2014

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
And Magic Carpet. Early Molyneux was really goddamn good. There's a reason that even after a decade and a half of constantly over promising and under delivering, he can still secure funding for his projects.

This is in fact better than an alignment derail.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

I've seen that, it's what I had in mind when I posted. :)

That said, pro click right there, check it out guys.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Zoe posted:

I've seen that, it's what I had in mind when I posted. :)

That said, pro click right there, check it out guys.
I was thinking of this :
http://www.somethingawful.com/news/society-time-travel/

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

quote:

Society members corrected a catastrophic future where cyborg killdrones controlled the world. We traced the source of the deviation back to Feudal Japan, where Society member Taylor dropped his iPod on the ground after getting kneed in the groin by an Asian girl he was trying to talk to.

Society member Martin fixed a minor hiccup in history when he inadvertently introduced the concept of "high fiving" to ancient Greece, leading to a glut of regrettable (but pretty cool) painted pottery and sculpture. That has all been erased.

Nice!

fake edit: I was just thinking, 'I wish this was a series' and then behold! Suddenly I noticed it was a series! (a future version of me must have gone back and made it happen)

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

SlothfulCobra posted:

These are DnD adventurers, they kill people for a living. I wouldn't get too hung up on one murder.

That being said, when Haley killed that girl, she was directly choosing violence over peace. They had reached an agreement with the thieves' guild, and Haley chose to break the peace herself, and now it's coming back to bite her.

That is both correct and incorrect.

It is correct according to the story that only appears in the webcomics. It is incorrect in the context of the full story which is in the book only, where Bozzok and Crystal were the ones to break the agreement, trying to kill Haley and make it look "like an accident" during the recovery of Roy's body. In that context, they had no intention of a peaceful resolution and clearly could not be trusted to keep to any agreement, and were a threat, so Haley was retaliating, not breaking the peace.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Eh, it had already been established in the main story line that Crystal and Bozzok are Bad People.
Did you forget about the Blind Pete house invasion, plus the back story comments? (She headbutted an elderly gnome into a coma!)

The only "peace" that happened was because Celia butted her bony butt into things, right when Haley was going to finish them off.
\PLUS That peace wasn't going to last ANYWAY because the terms meant haley had to pay half of everything she's stolen since she left, and that gold is all long gone.

Besides which, she only left to collect that gold in the first place, to pay the ransom on her father, who was only in that situation because of Bozzok!

So, in the end, Haley did 100% NOTHING WRONG.

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...

Johnny Aztec posted:

So, in the end, Haley did 100% NOTHING WRONG.

Correction, she did not kill Bozzok. Or destroy the corpse.

Never leave loose ends. They turn into zombies, apparently.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
I've just been re-reading all the strips with the new art, and drat Roy, it's pretty cold making jokes about dancing on the grave of a person you know full well is going to die very soon. Not sure how I missed that the first time.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Zoe posted:

I've just been re-reading all the strips with the new art, and drat Roy, it's pretty cold making jokes about dancing on the grave of a person you know full well is going to die very soon. Not sure how I missed that the first time.

Yeah, but Belkar's a real piece of poo poo, and Roy knows from a reputable source that the only reason why the halfling isn't a mass murderer is because he's been kept on a tight leash.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

A.o.D. posted:

Yeah, but Belkar's a real piece of poo poo, and Roy knows from a reputable source that the only reason why the halfling isn't a mass murderer is because he's been kept on a tight leash.

Belkar is still a mass murderer. They just point him in a direction and say "you can kill those people, get loot, and not go to jail."

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Zoe posted:

Roy has a lot of heroic qualities and he's a good leader for the team, but there's no denying that he's kind of a dick.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Lawful Dickhole.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
That's Belkar he's talking to. It counts as "friendly banter".

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

ultrafilter posted:

Roy has a lot of heroic qualities and he's a good leader for the team, but there's no denying that he's kind of a dick.

If you blur your eyes and let the personality traits of the oots blend together into one I suspect you'd get an accurate portrait of rich.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

sebmojo posted:

If you blur your eyes and let the personality traits of the oots blend together into one I suspect you'd get an accurate portrait of rich.

Burlew loving hates his father's guts if that's the case.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Calaveron posted:

Burlew loving hates his father's guts if that's the case.

Predicated on Vaarsuvius being male. At least one parental relationship in that family was stable.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

sebmojo posted:

So one part insufferably arrogant smartass, one part sarcastic jerk, one part greedy hedonist, one part whimsical idiot, one part sadistic sociopath, and one part sanctimonious bore.

Christ, what an rear end in a top hat

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

ikanreed posted:

Predicated on Vaarsuvius being male. At least one parental relationship in that family was stable.
That's the most convincing argument for V's gender I've heard.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Cat Mattress posted:

So one part insufferably arrogant smartass, one part sarcastic jerk, one part greedy hedonist, one part whimsical idiot, one part sadistic sociopath, and one part sanctimonious bore.

What do you expect from a gamer who refers to himself as the "giant in the playground"?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Cat Mattress posted:

No, no, no, we missed the mark somewhere, that's not Rich. That's Thunt.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Poison Mushroom posted:

No, no, no, we missed the mark somewhere, that's not Rich. That's Thunt.

But none of them is dea--

:aaaaa:

Humphrey Appleby
Oct 30, 2013

Knowledge only means complicity in guilt; ignorance has a certain dignity.

W.T. Fits posted:

What do you expect from a gamer who refers to himself as the "giant in the playground"?

Good taste in Sci-fi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Cat Mattress posted:

Also smart, witty, loyal, brave, loving, kind.