Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Arsenic Lupin posted:

There is no legal definition of any of the terms, and "free-range" can literally mean that there's one door in the barn, good luck getting to it. :( http://www.humanesociety.org/issues/confinement_farm/facts/guide_egg_labels.html

(I stick to "cage-free" or "free-range".)

Huh. Yeah that's useful info.

Just went and looked in the fridge, our current carton of eggs are "Barnstar Family Farms" CA SEFS COMPLIANT "Cage Free" barn raised hens. It says "The hends are fed a premium vegetarian diet rich in whole grains and soy protein." I don't see any sort of other certification on the carton though, so they're presumably 100% indoor barn hens, and probably all have clipped beaks and maybe are starved to get them to lay more or something horrible like that. I'll have to see what else Safeway has next time I'm there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

drilldo squirt posted:

Plastic doesn't rip if I hold it wrong.

So keep a tote in your trunk, this is not hard.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Oregon has gone plastic-free in all sorts of places, and many towns charge a fee for paper bags. It does a good job of encouraging people to reduce, reuse, and recycle. So far the state has not crumbled, but I'll keep you in the loop.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

CPColin posted:

Signatures submitted to fight California bag ban

:cry: It'll cost us joooooobs. :cry:

Can the bag manufacturers not retool to produce other plastic stuff?

:allears:

Pohl posted:

How California's New Rules Are Scrambling The Egg Industry

Npr article on the new regulations saying that all eggs sold in the state have to come from chickens that have enough room to essentially turn around and flap their wings. I was wondering why egg prices seemingly doubled recently, I guess this explains it.

While I sympathize with people on really tight food budgets, I'm all for this. Chickens are really loving awesome, and I will pay extra if it means treating them with as much respect and compassion as possible.

:allears: but not sarcastically this time. "Oh no, I'm going to have to pay $1 more per week on eggs so that the hens can actually move more than an inch their entire life, those green hippie bastards!" :argh:

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

Papercut posted:

So keep a tote in your trunk, this is not hard.

What if I dont wana buy a loving bag when they used to be free.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
In SLO County, the stores charge you ten cents per paper bag, so be thankful they're free where you are? Or pay a few bucks, once, for a reusable bag?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

drilldo squirt posted:

Does anyone actually buy tote bags? I'm drowning in like a dozen of them and I've never bought a single one. Just keep an eye out for opportunities to snag free totes and you'll have plenty soon enough.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

CPColin posted:

In SLO County, the stores charge you ten cents per paper bag, so be thankful they're free where you are? Or pay a few bucks, once, for a reusable bag?

I gotta pay 10 cents for the paper ones also.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

drilldo squirt posted:

Then you're a grumpy old man? The horror of paying $1 for a bag that will last 10+ years, my god.

I'm sorry to be the one to break this news to you, but as time passes some things that used to be free will no longer be free.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

drilldo squirt posted:

What if I don't wanna see your discarded bags clogging the streets? Putting a nominal price on bags fixes a market failure.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

drilldo squirt posted:

I live in LA and having to use paper bags to carry poo poo is super lovely especially when your car is far away from your place.

drilldo squirt posted:

Plastic doesn't rip if I hold it wrong.

drilldo squirt posted:

drilldo squirt posted:

I gotta pay 10 cents for the paper ones also.

This is basically why humanity is doomed right here.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
My ex-girlfriend's mom used to drive an extra 20 minutes to go grocery shopping in Orange County instead of LA County so that she could get free plastic bags.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The bags were never free, their price is just built into the retailer's margin, much like the cost of credit card transactions and someone to mop up the milk in aisle three.
What was also not free, but a hidden cost, is the cost paid by residences to support their local landfill, and the costs paid by taxpayers to clean up garbage all over the place, and the cost everyone will eventually pay for the great pacific garbage patch.

Actually putting costs up front and visible for consumers for nonessential things they are consuming is a leap forward in our ability to create and manage a sustainable civilization.

If you love disposable plastic bags so much you don't have to pay ten cents each, if you just buy a box of them in bulk.
this works out to less than three cents each and that should be enough for life.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Dec 31, 2014

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.

drilldo squirt posted:

Sounds like you're gonna have to deal with it, dude. Condolences.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

drilldo squirt posted:

I live in LA and having to use paper bags to carry poo poo is super lovely especially when your car is far away from your place.
They work fine, unless you have some legitimate disorder with your hands and need to tie a bag to your wrist.

Those plastic bags are one of the worst plastic things that get dumped.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marine_debris#Nurdles_and_plastic_bags

quote:

Plastic waste has reached all the world's oceans. This pollution harms an estimated 100,000 sea turtles and marine mammals and 1,000,000 sea creatures each year. Pelagic plastic pieces in the center of our ocean’s gyres outnumber live marine plankton, and are passed up the food chain to reach all marine life. Plastic shopping bags can clog digestive tracts when consumed and can cause starvation through restricting the movement of food, or by filling the stomach and tricking the animal into thinking it is full. A 1994 study of the seabed using trawl nets in the North-Western Mediterranean around the coasts of Spain, France and Italy reported mean concentrations of debris of 1,935 items per square kilometre. Plastic debris accounted for 77%, of which 93% was plastic bags.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Bizarro Watt posted:

Sounds like you're gonna have to deal with it, dude. Condolences.
Thankfully, due to our initiative system, he doesn't have to until after the next election cycle.

Maybe enough people will be confused by the yes means no / no means yes that he will not have to endure the slight inconvenience for several more years.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Dec 31, 2014

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

FRINGE posted:

They work fine, unless you have some legitimate disorder with your hands and need to tie a bag to your wrist.

Those plastic bags are one of the worst plastic things that get dumped.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marine_debris#Nurdles_and_plastic_bags

Paper bags don't work fine at all, they suck. I haven't seen one that hasn't ripped on me.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

CopperHound posted:

Thankfully, due to our initiative system, he doesn't have to until after the next election cycle.

Maybe enough people will be confused by the yes means no / no means yes that he will not have to endure the slight inconvenience for several more years.

Where I live they stopped using plastic like a year ago.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I've had paper bags rip on me when I've been trying to cheat and hold them by the corner. It works often enough that I take the chance and accept it might tear the bag.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

drilldo squirt posted:

Paper bags don't work fine at all, they suck. I haven't seen one that hasn't ripped on me.

So why can't you just buy a one dollar tote bag if you don't want to deal with the paper bags?

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
It's a dollar?

Kaal
May 22, 2002

drilldo squirt posted:

Since grocery shopping appears beyond your capabilities, have your mom do it for you.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Kobayashi posted:

This is basically why humanity is doomed right here.

More to the point, this is why that proposition (to repeal the law) is going to pass. :geno:

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
Ive never had the handles on the big paper bags tear off. I also dont buy lead bricks though so maybe thats a thing.

Are we actually discussing alcholic beer runs at 6am and tiny/thin bags packed with cold/damp beer cans?

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Can you really not afford a dollar for a reusable bag?

FRINGE posted:

Ive never had the handles on the big paper bags tear off. I also dont buy lead bricks though so maybe thats a thing.

Are we actually discussing alcholic beer runs at 6am and tiny/thin bags packed with cold/damp beer cans?

I'd be pretty nervous carrying an entire gallon of milk (which is gathering condensation as I walk and soaking into the bag) + another bottle of liquid in one bag, honestly. Maybe the big paper bags I use are just shoddily made?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

FRINGE posted:

Most of the paper bags I've seen don't have handles, that's my big issue.

salted hash browns
Mar 26, 2007
ykrop
California politics thread: bag chat

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

computer parts posted:

Most of the paper bags I've seen don't have handles, that's my big issue.
Arent you either SF or east bay? Its been a few years but I thought that WF, TJs, and Safeway/Vons (I cant remember which chain has that area) had the brown bags with handles up there?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
If someone is giving you brown paper bags without a handle then you should never shop there again because they are clearly trapped in the past. Or you could bring your own bags, you lazy, sea turtle-murdering rear end in a top hat.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

FRINGE posted:

Arent you either SF or east bay? Its been a few years but I thought that WF, TJs, and Safeway/Vons (I cant remember which chain has that area) had the brown bags with handles up there?

I'm in Corvallis (Oregon) right now visiting family and the only place I've seen bags with handles was Market of Choice. Winco and Safeway both just had the regular ones, which is odd but I guess it saves money.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Pohl posted:

How California's New Rules Are Scrambling The Egg Industry

Npr article on the new regulations saying that all eggs sold in the state have to come from chickens that have enough room to essentially turn around and flap their wings. I was wondering why egg prices seemingly doubled recently, I guess this explains it.

While I sympathize with people on really tight food budgets, I'm all for this. Chickens are really loving awesome, and I will pay extra if it means treating them with as much respect and compassion as possible.
The problem is that the law is very poorly written and does not actually define what a legal cage is. The regulatory body, whose recommendations are NOT binding (means HSUS and Peta can still sue for enforcement even if you follow the recommendation) just pubished its recs in the last week. It takes years to recoop the farms, so they haven't be able to invest in the last few years. Chicken ranchers (what they want to be called) have both lobbied to have a definitons established and also tried litigation.
The year this passed basically showed why propositions suck. Prop8 passed and we passed this feel good bullshit law that defines nothing. If they had gone through a proper legislative process, these questions would have been resolved.

nm fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Dec 31, 2014

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

salted hash browns posted:

California politics thread: bag chat

But it's not even a derail.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Horking Delight posted:

Can you really not afford a dollar for a reusable bag?

I'd be pretty nervous carrying an entire gallon of milk (which is gathering condensation as I walk and soaking into the bag) + another bottle of liquid in one bag, honestly. Maybe the big paper bags I use are just shoddily made?

Loop the bags over your arm, use the handle on the milk.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Who doesn't have like 5 or 6 canvas bags that they received for free from some business or another? I've gotten ones from water and electric companies, Canon sent me one for utilizing their service center one time, etc.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Paper bags do kinda suck, some places more than others. Plastic was better.

Full-on ban of the plastic bags, better yet. Totes are great. If you're too cheap, or have somehow missed the full-on shower of free tote bags that happened last year or so, Smart n Final will sell you a very sturdy plastic bag for a damned dime.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

I've received enough free tote bags that I could easily open a tote bag museum

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

My wife has a cloth tote bag that wads up and zips into itself in the shape of a banana. It is the size of a banana too. Also it has bananas and monkeys printed on it. The banana bag fits in a pocket or purse or under a seat in the car. I think it was probably like two bucks? It's lasted us for several years along with the other random cloth and thick plastic totes we have accumulated for free.

Like... disposable plastic bags were an invention in the mid-20th century and somehow for a couple thousand years before that people managed to bring home their shopping without too much trouble so somehow I think folks will manage to adapt.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I use disposable bags to pick up dog poop. Do that with your public radio tote. :colbert:

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Ron Jeremy posted:

I use disposable bags to pick up dog poop. Do that with your public radio tote. :colbert:

I use mine for cleaning out my kitty's litter box :smith:

I guess I could just buy a big box of them in bulk...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Ron Jeremy posted:

I buy compostable poop bags.

My son's daycare sends his cloth diapers home in plastic bags and I have no idea where they get this endless supply of them. We bought an extra waterproof reusable bag for them to use instead, but they said it was too nice and wouldn't use it.