Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

steinrokkan posted:

Well, Kyrie is dick. Maritain, whom I mentioned earlier, wrote about sense of ecstasy derived from reading Plotinas and Plato, implying that religious epiphany isn't reserved to a clique of doctrinally righteous jerks, but rather that religious experience compatible (and leading to) with Christian ideals is available universally and comes naturally to anybody who is allowed to live a happy, independent life, physically and spiritually.

So Christianity has a monopoly on having a happy independent life both physically and spiritually?

Do I have to pay a toll for not being Christian and having those things?

steinrokkan posted:

He says that there will be hell for non-believers (not sure if he subscribes to hell as literal fiery pits), but if you choose to be non-believer, well good for you, and good luck.

Man, its almost as if you are pissed we are Debating and Discussing religion in D&D in a thread where a guy who is actively censoring people who dispute his points and refute his conversion attempts.

And we're the jerks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Who What Now posted:

You haven't even read this thread, have you?

There seems to be weird double think. On the one side, there seems to be belief that Kyrie wants us to stay atheists because it validates his faith, but apparently he at the same time burns with desire to convert us?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

steinrokkan posted:

Well, Kyrie is dick. Maritain, whom I mentioned earlier, wrote about sense of ecstasy derived from reading Plotinas and Plato, implying that religious epiphany isn't reserved to a clique of doctrinally righteous jerks, but rather that religious experience compatible (and leading to) with Christian ideals is available universally and comes naturally to anybody who is allowed to live a happy, independent life, physically and spiritually.
Well what are "Christian ideals" really? I mean other than the bits about sex I find the Catholic social teaching quite agreeable. But a lot of what's there could be developed from other religious sources; indeed, what makes Islam and Judaism unique in a relative sense is that both of them include pretty detailed blueprints for how to live life 'correctly' on a social level.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
I think you guys need to stop loving stampeding Cavaradossi and consider the possibility that he's answering as best he can in the structure of the way he thinks, and maybe he his way of thinking doesn't offer him easy (or satisfactory/any) answers to some of your questions? Instead of taking that as evasiveness, you could even take that as a disproof of his system of thought in itself.

Instead of just getting mad for no reason.

I do not intend this as a defence of Kyrie, though, who is 50% troll 50% protofascist.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Disinterested posted:

I think you guys need to stop loving stampeding Cavaradossi and consider the possibility that he's answering as best he can in the structure of the way he thinks, and maybe he his way of thinking doesn't offer him easy (or satisfactory/any) answers to some of your questions? Instead of taking that as evasiveness, you could even take that as a disproof of his system of thought in itself.

I do not intend this as a defence of Kyrie, though, who is 50% troll 50% protofascist.

True, and that is what I'm taking away from his posts is that is says a lot that he is both unable to answer the questions posed and its rather expected. I'm certainly not mad, just puzzled, but then again what was I expecting to hear from him.

But yeah, screw Kyrie.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

CommieGIR posted:

So Christianity has a monopoly on having a happy independent life both physically and spiritually?

Do I have to pay a toll for not being Christian and having those things?

That's literally the opposite of what I posted. Plotinas and Plato weren't Christians, but they came to conclusions that are equivalent with Christian epiphany, and still inspire awe in Christians today.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

steinrokkan posted:

There seems to be weird double think. On the one side, there seems to be belief that Kyrie wants us to stay atheists because it validates his faith, but apparently he at the same time burns with desire to convert us?

Now, see, that first part? That's something nobody has said in the thread. Kyrie doesn't want people to stay atheist but he will rejoice at their suffering in hell. He has also said that each and every one of us will recant and believe in God before we die. Seriously, just quick the little '?' below his avatar and it's there plain as day.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

steinrokkan posted:

That's literally the opposite of what I posted. Plotinas and Plato weren't Christians, but they came to conclusions that are equivalent with Christian epiphany, and still inspire awe in Christians today.

Fair enough, I did misread that.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

Maritain, whom I mentioned earlier, wrote about sense of ecstasy derived from reading Plotinas and Plato, implying that religious epiphany isn't reserved to a clique of doctrinally righteous jerks, but rather that religious experience compatible (and leading to) with Christian ideals is available universally and comes naturally to anybody who is allowed to live a happy, independent life, physically and spiritually.

Religious ecstasy does not universally lead to Christian ideals though, which is why other religions, you know, exist.

"I feel it's true" is fine as a subjective reason to believe if it makes you feel good sure, but since it comes over people of other faiths too, it would seem that it's either (1) not from God at all and is no reliable guide to divine truth or (2) that dogma is a human-created thing, irrelevant to God, who sends His Spirit to anyone who searches for Him without regard to the particulars of their traditions.

I'm fine with (2) as an answer, but if I were a Christian I'd also be a universalist.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Good job boys, we've progressed from renaissance Catholicism to American Revolution-esque Deism ITT.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Nessus posted:

Well what are "Christian ideals" really? I mean other than the bits about sex I find the Catholic social teaching quite agreeable. But a lot of what's there could be developed from other religious sources; indeed, what makes Islam and Judaism unique in a relative sense is that both of them include pretty detailed blueprints for how to live life 'correctly' on a social level.

It's the point, isn't it; "Christian" moral ideas seem to be pretty universal (and it's no wonder that inter-religion dialogue is the bees knees these days), so if you accept the idea of God, he's hardly an evil bastard who destines you to be a bad person based on where you are born. Really the only distinction is where (or if at all) you direct your worship.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Disinterested posted:

Good job boys, we've progressed from renaissance Catholicism to American Revolution-esque Deism ITT.

Would it be a bad thing?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Disinterested posted:

American Revolution Deism is the poo poo, though.

"Hey the only tools we can really access to understand creation and the one who created it are our own reason and our perceptions of the universe. So let's stop listening to a bunch of dead bronze age or medieval assholes with chubbies for rape and slavery, take from their holy books what good teachings we can, accept good teachings from other traditions too, and try to be good people."

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

steinrokkan posted:

Would it be a bad thing?

It was a little more progressive than even a lot of Modern Day Christian sects.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

Augustine unironically thought Roman society would have been much more virtuous if they had worshipped Plato rather than Jupiter et al:

'“Plato, who banished poets from the city so that the citizens should not be deceived.” To whom should the city accord divine honours? “To Plato, who prohibited these base and shameful things, or to the demons who, because they took delight in deceiving men, made it impossible to persuade them?” To Augustine he should be “above the gods themselves.”'

Although still this would obviously be lovely because it's not Christian.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

VitalSigns posted:

(2) that dogma is a human-created thing, irrelevant to God, who sends His Spirit to anyone who searches for Him without regard to the particulars of their traditions.

I'm fine with (2) as an answer, but if I were a Christian I'd also be a universalist.

VitalSigns posted:

American Revolution Deism is the poo poo, though.

"Hey the only tools we can really access to understand creation and the one who created it are our own reason and our perceptions of the universe. So let's stop listening to a bunch of dead bronze age or medieval assholes with chubbies for rape and slavery, take from it what good teachings we can, and try to be good people."
And thus you have arrived at what I basically believe, through the same steps I took, except I add in a belief in reincarnation of souls. (Just 50 million other reincarnation-believing American Christians. Syncretism rocks.:911:)

If you want solid answers out of me then you're out of luck, I don't claim to know that I'm right, it's just what I feel is right. I guess you could call it Faith.:v:

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Disinterested posted:

I think that's bullshit, Cavaradossi knows he's giving an unsatisfactory answer. He knows there is no reason to start "living the life" of a Catholic that has any advantage over starting to "live the life" of a Muslim or Sikh, waiting for faith to take hold. He's leaving it unsaid because like almost all modern, intellectual Christians, he doesn't have a deep belief in the objective truth and reality of his faith.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Disinterested posted:

Augustine unironically thought Roman society would have been much more virtuous if they had worshipped Plato rather than Jupiter et al:

'“Plato, who banished poets from the city so that the citizens should not be deceived.” To whom should the city accord divine honours? “To Plato, who prohibited these base and shameful things, or to the demons who, because they took delight in deceiving men, made it impossible to persuade them?” To Augustine he should be “above the gods themselves.”'

I figured Augustine would be all for allowing poets and music and rocking orgies until one's sixtieth birthday and the little light on their hand starts blinking, after which time we ban them from fun and make them be virtuous for the good of society.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

VitalSigns posted:

I figured Augustine would be all for allowing poets and music and rocking orgies until one's sixtieth birthday and the little light on their hand starts blinking, after which time we ban them from fun and make them be virtuous for the good of society.

drat hippies, roll out the National Guard er, the Legion

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

SedanChair posted:

I think that's bullshit, Cavaradossi knows he's giving an unsatisfactory answer. He knows there is no reason to start "living the life" of a Catholic that has any advantage over starting to "live the life" of a Muslim or Sikh, waiting for faith to take hold. He's leaving it unsaid because like almost all modern, intellectual Christians, he doesn't have a deep belief in the objective truth and reality of his faith.

That's because he doesn't value his own perception of objective truth. His faith is a way of suspending that need. I think stupidly, but I think that's what it is. I don't think he can answer the questions asked of him (except about slavery where he has dragged his feet), and if he does, I don't think his way of thinking will provide a satisfactory answer. He can't logically show that god exists or that his denomination is right because he doesn't believe in God or the Church because of anything really to do with formal logic.

At least, that's what I think.

The alternative is that he's going through the motions of his faith, which I guess is possible too.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Disinterested posted:

That's because he doesn't value his own perception of objective truth. His faith is a way of suspending that need. I think stupidly, but I think that's what it is. I don't think he can answer the questions asked of him (except about slavery where he has dragged his feet), and if he does, I don't think his way of thinking will provide a satisfactory answer. He can't logically show that god exists or that his denomination is right because he doesn't believe in God or the Church because of anything really to do with formal logic.

At least, that's what I think.

The alternative is that he's going through the motions of his faith, which I guess is possible too.

What does your heart tell you?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Disinterested posted:

Honestly I've felt like a lot of Catholic teaching (and thus the Protestants in the end) also more or less put more energy into worshipping Plato and Aristotle, and Paul, than anything some long-haired Jew boy said. Isn't one of the main Orthodox criticisms of the Catholic church, that the Catholics are way too into this pagan philosophical crap?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

CommieGIR posted:

What does your heart tell you?

To smoke a bowl and donate money to MSF.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

SedanChair posted:

Why are you so concerned about what makes him happy, and that he's made one choice if the other choices are supposedly equivalent. Is it because his choice doesn't fit a particular political conviction?

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

See? Science proves the JewsMuslims are inferior and must be purged! I'm not a racist, honest!

Disinterested posted:

Look, I am certainly sympathetic to and appreciative of the Christians arguing in good faith itt. I hope I haven't come off as anything but. However, that doesn't mean I'm going to accept nonsensical answers, and it doesn't mean i'm going to stop asking follow up questions just cause the debate is imbalanced.

If Cav is willing to concede that his religion isn't necessarily true, just that it's the one he connects with the best, then fine: argument settled. But it seems that he is trying to make the case that it is objectively true; that is, the story presented therein actually did happen, while simultanneously all other religious stories are objectively false; that is, made up by humans for one reason or another.

But his justification for that belief is that he feels it. There are no "mathematical theorems" (as he put it) or logical proofs or even any pieces of hard evidence. The doctrine he follows is the one that makes him feel the best, and he is using that as proof that it is true. When asked how one arrives at Christianity, his answer is to try to feel it myself.

When it's pointed out that all religions have some form of this feelgood element to them, they are dismissed. So my question is, why are Catholic feelings evidence of truth, but Muslim or Hindu or hell, even American Evangelist feelings simply delusions? And if there is no answer to this, why does one keep believing? What ELSE, divorced from feelings, convinces you of Catholicism?

And if there is nothing, no external evidence, and no reason to assume your subjective certainties are any more true than other religions' subjective certainties, how can you really make the claim that your religion is true? It's your favorite, yes, it makes you feel good - but why is it TRUE?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

Why are you so concerned about what makes him happy, and that he's made one choice if the other choices are supposedly equivalent. Is it because his choice doesn't fit a particular political conviction?

No dude, we're just discussing ideas. "The Spirit just moves me" has some interesting implications especially combined with a doctrinal believe that there is only One True Faith and it should be expected that such a thing will be followed up with debate questions and discussion on a Debate & Discussion forum.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

steinrokkan posted:

Why is he right and all other religions are wrong? That's the jist of what we are asking.

That isn't such a bad question, and is perfectly a reasonable one, even if he doesn't have an answer. But he SHOULD have had a better answer for the slavery questions other than 'No True Christian'

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Nessus posted:

Honestly I've felt like a lot of Catholic teaching (and thus the Protestants in the end) also more or less put more energy into worshipping Plato and Aristotle, and Paul, than anything some long-haired Jew boy said. Isn't one of the main Orthodox criticisms of the Catholic church, that the Catholics are way too into this pagan philosophical crap?

Well, you need a way of thinking about the scripture as well as the scripture itself, and the only real systems of analysis going were Greek and Roman.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

steinrokkan posted:

Concerned is probably the wrong word, since the Inquisition's lost its teeth. But a little self-awareness isn't bad is it?

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

VitalSigns posted:

Yes! Okay, this goes back to something I really want to know.

Why should we govern by the rules of Libertarianism? Why not compel people to give to charity as they're commanded? The righteous aren't affected, as they are giving their wealth away anyway and charitable donations are deductible income. It's only the mammon-worshiping sinners who are inconvenienced so what's wrong with that? Much like laws against murder: they don't affect the righteous as they do not want to murder, so the law is only a problem for sinners.

Forget libertarianism. I'm over it. Catholic Social Teaching on taxes can be found here. It encourages a progressive tax system that affords for public services and the basic needs of the poor. I am hereby in favor of taxing the rich and providing for the poor within reason.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Kyrie eleison posted:

Forget libertarianism. I'm over it. Catholic Social Teaching on taxes can be found here. It encourages a progressive tax system that affords for public services and the basic needs of the poor. I am hereby in favor of taxing the rich and providing for the poor within reason.

Why the change of heart?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Kyrie eleison posted:

Neat.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Kyrie eleison posted:

Hooray! Francis shames another of his flock into decency.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

SedanChair posted:

I really feel like Francis is doing a lot of good :unsmith:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

SedanChair posted:

Did he make another announcement? I swear, that guy is just running around doing all kinds of wacky Christian things lately!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Kyrie eleison posted:

Well, that was quick.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

SedanChair posted:

Bullshit. He did it in response to my brilliant posting.

You're welcome :smug:

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

The one advantage to the Pope being such a bossman figure is that he has a lot of power to whip the crazies into line, for good or for ill.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Disinterested posted:

The one advantage to the Pope being such a bossman figure is that he has a lot of power to whip the crazies into line, for good or for ill.

It seems like the Africa/US Catholics are doing their damnedest to avoid getting in line with his proclamations, however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Seeing as he linked to a 2011 summary... maybe he was converted by Palpat Ratzinger. Just kidding, the author is also a jesuit.

• Locked thread