Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Captainplankface posted:

Has anyone gotten the Panther 8.8 yet, how is it? Apparently it's mobility soft stats are great, making it just as if not more mobile than the FCM. Good job on the transparency wargaming :doh:

http://worldoftanks.eu/en/news/pc-browser/46/panther-88-price-reduction/
Apparently even WG got cold feet about selling a Panther II for 42 Euros.
Without pref MM it's just not worth it, unless you really REALLY want a German medium crew trainer in high level games.

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Dec 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snakes in a can
May 14, 2014

sauer kraut posted:

http://worldoftanks.eu/en/news/pc-browser/46/panther-88-price-reduction/
Apparently even WG got cold feet about selling a Panther II for 42 Euros.
Without pref MM it's just not worth it, unless you really REALLY want a German medium crew trainer in high level games.

Just get the starlin-mobile (when the release IMs).

Looks like wotreplays.org is dead, anyway i think ive ruined peoples chances of getting an ace on the cent 7/1 on the sea server now.

http://wotreplays.com/site/1474651#team

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:

NTRabbit posted:

They have the same level of access to the extensive archives at Bovington though. Probably even better access, what with the Bovington guys being super chill about everything, whereas Kubinka is on a military base and all the WW2 tanks are still top secret, plus Russia is currently making GBS threads the bed

WG has a no-poo poo partnership with Kubinka and are looked upon favourably by the Russian government, as great as Bovvy is, it's nowhere near as easy a resource for them to tap I suspect. Plus, the British weren't exactly good at tanks until about 1945 or so, with a few lucky exceptions.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits

Captainplankface posted:

Has anyone gotten the Panther 8.8 yet, how is it? Apparently it's mobility soft stats are great, making it just as if not more mobile than the FCM. Good job on the transparency wargaming :doh:

According to For The Record they are offering a full refund for people who bought the Panther 8.8 for its full price, it beeing the worst selling premium ever allowing for that and people in general not beeing very impressed with its performance.

Haven't played it myself cause I stopped playing WoT, but I still read FTR on a regular basis for some reason.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

NTRabbit posted:

Touch your toes and think warm thoughts until you get the 76mm

And whatever the gently caress you do, don't be tempted to load up the 6pdr and buy a ton of APCR, unless you're sitting on tens of millions in silver.

Also, the most hosed up thing about the Panther a la Double Hitler is if they nerfed the 88mm to a 7.5rpm stock firing rate they could easily give it preferential MM, and it'd probably be worth every doubloon.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Dec 30, 2014

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 22 minutes!
What the hell gives? Haven't played for maybe a year, figure I'll update and start up again, and the launcher keeps trying to update and failing. Gives me an error message that "the data obtained from the update service is incorrect," and tells me to "see log file" for details. Only thing in the log file that looks like an error is "http request failed. what: http request error, msg: Inner libCurl error(7): "Couldn't connect to server". But it's been connecting, it's been downloading patch data, even, before it fails out with that error message.

Ideas?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Phanatic posted:

What the hell gives? Haven't played for maybe a year, figure I'll update and start up again, and the launcher keeps trying to update and failing. Gives me an error message that "the data obtained from the update service is incorrect," and tells me to "see log file" for details. Only thing in the log file that looks like an error is "http request failed. what: http request error, msg: Inner libCurl error(7): "Couldn't connect to server". But it's been connecting, it's been downloading patch data, even, before it fails out with that error message.

Ideas?

Uninstall the client completely and then download an updated executable.

It's not like any of your old mods are going to work, and you should be downloading an all-inclusive modpack anyway.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Captainplankface posted:

Apparently the Chi-Nu Kai has a high XP modifier too. Shame this is shown nowhere!

quote:

- according to WG developers, Chi-Nu Kai has following advantages: good mobility, good gun, good viewrange and is VERY good at grinding, even during losses

Also, lol at the Hitlerpanther price cut. Maybe we'll go back to being able to play new prems on the test server now?

Captainplankface
Nov 29, 2011

Prav posted:

It's extremely similar to the Panther II. And 0,8 med passability is nice but it's not a miracle worker so I'm a bit skeptical about it keeping up with a tank with more than 40% extra hp/t.

I just cant believe it took them this long to make a German premium med that isn't:

1) poo poo
or
2) Tier 5

Though it seems they reduced the price, which is nice.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Is the Pz.Kpfw. IV Ausf. H just bad or am I just bad.

One weird tip to make it die less. I'm always at the bottom third of the pile when I play it.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

thylacine posted:

Is the Pz.Kpfw. IV Ausf. H just bad or am I just bad.

One weird tip to make it die less. I'm always at the bottom third of the pile when I play it.

Is it fully upgraded?

It's a generic medium with no particular strong point, like the M4. Stay away from the frontlines where an IS can come and bloop you for 400 damage.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Is it fully upgraded?

It's a generic medium with no particular strong point, like the M4. Stay away from the frontlines where an IS can come and bloop you for 400 damage.

Yeah-except the top gun is a turd that I've never penned anything with so I use the longer one.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

thylacine posted:

Yeah-except the top gun is a turd that I've never penned anything with so I use the longer one.

What, the 105? Don't use it, the HEAT got nerfed. If you were using AP, shame on you.

The Pz IV plays like any other medium, you have to skirt around the edges of the battle in the early-game, and can be more aggressive later on. Early mediums are actually pretty hard to play because of hp limits, so just get your practice, and failure, in at tier 5.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Blitz-

It's rumored on the RU forums that future maps will be larger. For the time being though the maps are small. Time limits are short. One result is the possibility of a lot of Battles in a short period of time. This also means it's possible to play a lot of different tanks (if you are basically an idiot like myself who had never played any other version of the game). I have played through about 115 tanks to some extent. There are about five available I have not really worked to play, some of which I am working on slowly now that I have picked some tanks to actually attempt to learn to play.

The Blitz tanks have the same or basically the same basic stats on paper as the PC version. I suspect that due to map size, time limit, touch controls that they play very differently than the PC version. Most people in Blitz hate the Lowë for instance, preferring the T34 which is the other T8 non-preferential mm premium. For my part I prefer the Lowë post buff. It is slow, but on the tiny maps you can often play a T95 across most of the map if you keep it rolling so speed is not the same kind of issue.

I am just wondering what actual players from this thread are noticing in terms of play on different tanks? I think it means that the most playable tanks on PC are not necessarily the most fun or most playable in Blitz. No idea though since I have never played the PC version.

General play seems to have changed a great deal since the introduction of Android. My own opinion is that it is getting better, but of course it varies wildly. For a time it seemed like maps would only be resolved in 7-0 massacres, but that seems to be lessening and there are more actually enjoyable games for some reason, it seems to me.

I have had limited game time over the past month, but if you see me on and can stand some atrocious play please send me an invite. I should be on a bit more after the new year. I do know the maps pretty well, regardless of whether or not I can play any of the tanks I have. Personally I don't waste any time trolling chat. The chat functionality sucks and there is no time even if you die very early on a map. Honestly I am not convinced that many of the other people can or do read anything in the chat in any case.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Illegal Carrot posted:

I'm like 90% sure it's just an in-game graphical setting. When the camera is far away from some foliage, it'll looks low-res, blocky, and hard to see past. But as the camera gets closer (you drive closer, or zoom in), it renders the foliage in much greater detail, allowing you to see past individual leaves and branches like in the video. I play at max graphical settings and that's exactly how it is for me, thought I have no idea exactly which setting(s) may affect it. Unfortunately I'm out of town for a few days, so I can't test it out or give you a better answer than that.

I play at the lowest setting for foliage and what happens in this video does not happen for me. When I actually get home I will do some testing. I don't think improved foliage will kill my FPS too much anyway.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Nordick posted:

Actually, Accept are German.

Well I must say, they have excellent English, almost no accent that I could hear.

AlmightyPants posted:

I just got the Sherman III and I haven't played the regular M4 in ages. The stock gun seems to bounce off of everything. I honestly don't remember what to do in this thing - everything feels worse than I remember and I'm confused.

If you put the standard 76mm on it is basically the M4 with a neat-o reskin, and the top 6-Pdr turns it into a Ram II with 5 more pen.

Edit: Also, partial gold refund for Panther 88 owners. Neat.

Dvsilverwing fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Dec 30, 2014

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Nordick posted:

Actually, Accept are German.

My god they are still alive? When they became semi-successful in 1986/7, they held their 20th anniversary a year later :corsair:
That's some ooold school generic metal and it didn't age very well.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Any chance they give it limited MM sometime in the future? Seems like it would be a smart move if it continues to sell poorly.

JohnGalt
Aug 7, 2012
So I want to come back to tanks. Y/n?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

JohnGalt posted:

So I want to come back to tanks. Y/n?

Very no. I haven't played in a week and I'm pretty happy with that.

I do want to play the new fun mode whenever that comes, but I've had enough of the pubbies ruining 199 out of 200 games. Blowouts are not fun, win or loss.

JohnGalt
Aug 7, 2012

Hellsau posted:

Very no. I haven't played in a week and I'm pretty happy with that.

I do want to play the new fun mode whenever that comes, but I've had enough of the pubbies ruining 199 out of 200 games. Blowouts are not fun, win or loss.

Its been a year. Is the game marginally better? Also, what's the new stad patting tank?

Refried Noodle
Feb 23, 2012

If you missed the arty nerf, yeah it's better. The new padding tank is the bulldog, at least wn8-wise.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Refried Noodle posted:

If you missed the arty nerf, yeah it's better. The new padding tank is the bulldog, at least wn8-wise.

you know they hit lights by changing the expected value and wn8 calculations like a month ago, if you want to stat pad just find a tank that is obscure and has a low expected value.

For example a T-34 (russian tier 5), 1k damage and 1.5 kills is ~3500 wn8.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life (and therefore doesn't play tanks). I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values (and therefore doesn't play tanks). I am the man who has deprived you of victims wrecks and thus has destroyed your world WN8, and if you wish to know why you are perishing - you who dread knowledge - I am the man who will now tell you.

Refried Noodle
Feb 23, 2012

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

you know they hit lights by changing the expected value and wn8 calculations like a month ago, if you want to stat pad just find a tank that is obscure and has a low expected value.

For example a T-34 (russian tier 5), 1k damage and 1.5 kills is ~3500 wn8.

Expected damage for the lights is still pretty low, it was raised by about 200 at the most. I haven't read about changed wn calculations for lights. That might change things. Do you have a link for that?

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Refried Noodle posted:

Expected damage for the lights is still pretty low, it was raised by about 200 at the most. I haven't read about changed wn calculations for lights. That might change things. Do you have a link for that?

Nah I dont follow it too much , just heard people mention it in ts. I think the main thing is that they were trying to get rid of the phenomenon on lights that simply hitting the battle button for a competent player was 3k wn8. If you are still crushing with the m41 you will still see inflated wn8.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Hellsau posted:

As for the new mode, it seems like you can run it in super platoons, 5 out of 10 players on the team.
In other words, if you are not in one you are incredibly hosed from the start.
Seems fun.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Nidhg00670000 posted:

For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life (and therefore doesn't play tanks). I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values (and therefore doesn't play tanks). I am the man who has deprived you of victims wrecks and thus has destroyed your world WN8, and if you wish to know why you are not Pershing - you who dread knowledge - I am the man who will now tell you.

Descar
Apr 19, 2010
Im starting to like stronghold missions.
clan activated 2 missions today when i played.

1st was get in top 2 , 2 games in a row... 7 days prem reward
2nd was damage 8 tanks, 600k credits reward

both finished without trying :)

Descar
Apr 19, 2010

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

Nah I dont follow it too much , just heard people mention it in ts. I think the main thing is that they were trying to get rid of the phenomenon on lights that simply hitting the battle button for a competent player was 3k wn8. If you are still crushing with the m41 you will still see inflated wn8.

playing tanks that pubbies like to suicide with, is a easy way to raise wn8, not only lights..
but lights that are overperforming are extremly easy to get a nice score in, m41, elc, amx90.. etc
playing Soft armored tanks also comes to mind, like batchat, leopard, 50B... anything that you cant drive without at least some experience with the game.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

JohnGalt posted:

Its been a year. Is the game marginally better? Also, what's the new stad patting tank?

:frogout:

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

JohnGalt posted:

Its been a year. Is the game marginally better?

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaa

I started playing this game 3 years ago, it has barely improved at all

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Nothing but widespread pubbie executions could improve this game.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Ensign Expendable posted:

Nothing but widespread pubbie executions could improve this game.

Had a game where a Jtiger 8.8 and a T34 beat 5 of our tanks. three mediums and two heavies and I couldn't get them to just wait for one of them to fire and rush the fuckers. They weren't hull down or even sidescraping, just sitting around a corner waiting for the dumbfucks to peek around the corner and eat a 400 damage shell. Which would inevitably cause them to recoil in fear, and by the time they got their courage up again, the other guy had reloaded. Repeat until dead.

Who makes a F2P game and base it almost entirely around teamwork? It feels like Hitlers revenge sometimes.

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

A janitor cleans the bathroom

Muldoon
I think the game is p good tbqh

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Atal Vataman posted:

I think the game is p good tbqh

I love the game. I would very much enjoy a single player World of Tanks.

I hate the pubbies. They ruin everything.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
The Archer...

:shepicide:

This is the worst tank. THE WORST TANK.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Vengarr posted:

Had a game where a Jtiger 8.8 and a T34 beat 5 of our tanks. three mediums and two heavies and I couldn't get them to just wait for one of them to fire and rush the fuckers. They weren't hull down or even sidescraping, just sitting around a corner waiting for the dumbfucks to peek around the corner and eat a 400 damage shell. Which would inevitably cause them to recoil in fear, and by the time they got their courage up again, the other guy had reloaded. Repeat until dead.

Who makes a F2P game and base it almost entirely around teamwork? It feels like Hitlers revenge sometimes.

WoT is a little bit like a MOBA, and lovely F2P Dota clones must account for like 50% of all PC gaming revenue. It's not that remarkable

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Vengarr posted:

I once held back 3 tier 8s as a KV-2, since none of them wanted to be the one to take 152 mm of HE to the face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

Hellsau posted:

I love the game. I would very much enjoy a single player World of Tanks.

I hate the pubbies. They ruin everything.

Iron Warriors: T-72 Tank Command is still 74 cents on steam.

It's more simulator but still pretty neat.