Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
That's the model 1942 turret, right? The hatch is just a circle, should be easy enough to scratch build.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Edit: I keep seeing people with that GARBAGE DICK avatar. What the hell does it mean?

It's the new default avatar

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

NTRabbit posted:

Replaces "stupid newbie" and the baby picture.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

NTRabbit posted:

:pwn: I see.

Ensign Expendable posted:

That's the model 1942 turret, right? The hatch is just a circle, should be easy enough to scratch build.

Yeah, the "Mickey Mouse" version. Luckily, the kit came with several totally unnecessary parts. I don't mean the options for early/late models or the accessories; the instructions has them labeled "unnecessary," some with no actual part name beyond that. One of them happens to be an oddly-shaped flat sheet.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Probably bits from a SU-85 or SU-100 kit or something.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aA8Upm2yDrw
I know it's not much but it's a big milestone for me. Have half my tram system up and running. Here it is traveling at about a scale 50 kph, if I did my math/timing right.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Double postin', I guess this is my train blog now.

Making a little bridge with a little drain pipe. It's just cardboard and plastic and you won't really be looking at it from down here but I think it's turning out ok. The pipe is like 2mm and each bridge support is 1cm tall.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
I like how the cardboard gives a feel of rough brutalist concrete slabs. Carry on.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Baronjutter posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aA8Upm2yDrw
I know it's not much but it's a big milestone for me. Have half my tram system up and running. Here it is traveling at about a scale 50 kph, if I did my math/timing right.

Kinda looks like a MBTA Green Line Breda car.

#traindork

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.
I've just had 324 fluid ounces of Pledge FloorCare finish delivered today.

I just felt like telling someone and I though this would be the best place.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

poo poo's about to get real glossy

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

big_g posted:

Cannot find this elixir anywhere. Good on you.

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
So I says to her, I says “LADY, that ain't OIL, its DIRT!!”

big_g posted:

Am I correct that it isn't called Future anymore?

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.

Dukket posted:

Am I correct that it isn't called Future anymore?

Yeh it got sold to Pledge and seems to be getting really hard to find. I actually got this shipped across from the US as it's the only place I could find it. (I am in the UK.)

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Surely there have to be other similar clear gloss coats out there. I have a huge bottle my self, but other than it being a glossy clear coat what's so special about it that people just have to get the FUTURE brand?

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

Surely there have to be other similar clear gloss coats out there. I have a huge bottle my self, but other than it being a glossy clear coat what's so special about it that people just have to get the FUTURE brand?

I believe any generic synthetic floor wax is fine, but people know and trust the Future formula to not fog up or do something unexpected.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Generally people flocked to Future mainly because it was very cheap and you got a lot of it. A single bottle is a few dollars, and will last most modelers their entire life.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I've lost one of the hatches for the turret and am contemplating suicide.

I found the loving hatch. It had broken off the sprue, slid across the table, and gotten caught in a spiderweb between a dead cricket and the spider.

Calling it done. gently caress the accessories. Tank don't need no shovel or wooden crates.

Turns out if you put water right on the model, the chipping goo causes huge chunks of paint to slough off. Oh well, slightly more weathered than intended, but it'll do.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
The shovels and crates are in the blueprints. And the log. Especially the log.

All hail the log.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

I found the loving hatch. It had broken off the sprue, slid across the table, and gotten caught in a spiderweb between a dead cricket and the spider.

Calling it done. gently caress the accessories. Tank don't need no shovel or wooden crates.

Turns out if you put water right on the model, the chipping goo causes huge chunks of paint to slough off. Oh well, slightly more weathered than intended, but it'll do.

Your work area looks like you've had a horrible accident with a hobby knife.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
Hey, Sturmovik. Come, rest a while.

It's 'done', as in I might want to put the stores on later but I also really want to start on this Spitfire model...

This was the 2nd of 2 goon originated models (done with the goon brush!) and I have to say now gently caress skis.

The Il-2 was an Accurate Miniatures model, and pretty nice. Seemed a bit over-engineered in parts with a snazy front air intake set up that was overly complicated (and needed bits removing to fit). The skis were a unique addition just for this kit, and require trimming of a part. In case you build this: don't trim it by 4mm as per instructions. 2mm is plenty. Hell, start with 1 and test fit.

I also learnt my lesson about being lazy with masking, so yay for no foggy windows. Instead I had to move it while the varnish was wet.. *sigh*

One day I might make something nice, but I don't think I have the patience for it, unlike some.. (looking at you The Locator)

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Ensign Expendable posted:

All hail the log.
Says everyone who's ever stuck their tank in mud.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Sanguine posted:

It's 'done', as in I might want to put the stores on later but I also really want to start on this Spitfire model...

This was the 2nd of 2 goon originated models (done with the goon brush!) and I have to say now gently caress skis.

The Il-2 was an Accurate Miniatures model, and pretty nice. Seemed a bit over-engineered in parts with a snazy front air intake set up that was overly complicated (and needed bits removing to fit). The skis were a unique addition just for this kit, and require trimming of a part. In case you build this: don't trim it by 4mm as per instructions. 2mm is plenty. Hell, start with 1 and test fit.

I also learnt my lesson about being lazy with masking, so yay for no foggy windows. Instead I had to move it while the varnish was wet.. *sigh*

One day I might make something nice, but I don't think I have the patience for it, unlike some.. (looking at you The Locator)

This is actually really great! I've seen lesser models win awards at regional shows. Be proud man, this is good work!

Sparq
Feb 10, 2014

If you're using an AC/20, you only need to hit the target once. If the target's still standing, you oughta be somewhere else anyway.

Sanguine posted:

Eh, it is as weathered as a Russian wartime plane could be. Looks real nice, and you did some subtle streaking on the underside that fits pretty well.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Sanguine posted:

I think your airplane looks pretty awesome actually.

I didn't think I'd ever have patience for stuff like I'm currently doing, but when I get into it I sort of zen (zone?) out and don't even notice the time flying by, so you never know!

If I had an infinite amount of time (and space and money) I'd love to be making all sorts of other types of models at the same time as the long-term ships, just to mix it up a bit.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Jonny Nox posted:

Your work area looks like you've had a horrible accident with a hobby knife.

How to build a Huey Helicopter:
http://www.acmenovelties.net/scale_models/how_to_build_a_model/

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
One time I was building a 40k Leman Russ kit that a friend of mine had left sitting in front of a radiator for a couple of years and the hull just refused to go together. I had gotten to the point where I had just superglued the thing and then held it with rubber bands but it popped apart under the strain of the warping and I was then trying to scrape off the superglue that had built up to start over again one last time when I slipped with my scalpel and basically carved a line straight down from my thumb into my palm. Blood everywhere, probably should have gotten stitches, blah blah dumb college kid. Next time I tried sticking it together it worked with no problems.

Some kits require blood sacrifice to complete.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

X-acto knives and scalpels are quite good at the blood sacrifice process.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Arquinsiel posted:

One time I was building a 40k Leman Russ kit that a friend of mine had left sitting in front of a radiator for a couple of years and the hull just refused to go together. I had gotten to the point where I had just superglued the thing and then held it with rubber bands but it popped apart under the strain of the warping and I was then trying to scrape off the superglue that had built up to start over again one last time when I slipped with my scalpel and basically carved a line straight down from my thumb into my palm. Blood everywhere, probably should have gotten stitches, blah blah dumb college kid. Next time I tried sticking it together it worked with no problems.

Some kits require blood sacrifice to complete.

You can use the superglue to glue the wound shut. If I recall correctly, this might actually be the purpose it was developed for. It stings like hell, but does a pretty good job.

Just for the record, the red stuff in the picture I posted is in fact red paint.

The blood is all out of frame.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jan 1, 2015

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
You can use regular super glue on wounds but the medical grade stuff isn't as exothermic and has antibacterial properties in addition to not having solvents that sting like hell in it.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
Just a relatively quick build of an airfix t-34-85 1:72 model.

Just before I applied a semi-clear gloss acrylic coat for preparation of a dark wash (currently waiting for it to cure 24 hrs before I start to slather enamels and paint thinner on it).

Album located here. http://imgur.com/a/cqjcK

My comments, this was I think a 40 piece kit with the wheels making up most of the pieces. I picked it up to practice painting and try out washes and acrylic coatings, and am mostly satisfied with my performance, but I wouldn't ever buy another airfix kit again just because it was too simple and didn't seem right after I put everything together.

Next project is this:

I went for the whole hog and bought nearly all the accessories for this, it has a model figure set, and an illumination kit so I get to try out 2 new things for the first time.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
It's airfix, you can't expect much from them but quick and cheap kits that usually look vaguely like the tank it says on the box.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Chillyrabbit posted:

Next project is this:

I went for the whole hog and bought nearly all the accessories for this, it has a model figure set, and an illumination kit so I get to try out 2 new things for the first time.

Where did you order yours from? I ordered mine through HLJ and its been back ordered forever.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp
Ordered it direct from volk japan as customs and shipping raped me less than ordering from volk USA.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Chillyrabbit posted:

Ordered it direct from volk japan as customs and shipping raped me less than ordering from volk USA.

Cool. I'm in Japan for new years, and I have this itch to build and paint a cool sci-fi kit with lots of weathering and stuff. Of course the only thing I find in the general shops is tons of gundam kits, and that aesthetic does absolutely zero for me. I guess macross or machinen krieger is closer to what I'm looking for, though I haven't found any.

I guess I could just order something when I get home through hlj, but everything here is do much cheaper. Any idea what ranges I should look for online? I'm a history nerd so my knowledge of Japanese sci-fi is basically limited to Gundam and that Yamato space ship series.

e: and by "nothing but Gundam kits" I literally mean an entire isle of Gundam kits, and then maybe a small row of One Piece ships (wtf?) and then some Gundam zoids. Not even a single airplane kit or anything.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Jan 1, 2015

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp

lilljonas posted:

I guess I could just order something when I get home through hlj, but everything here is do much cheaper. Any idea what ranges I should look for online? I'm a history nerd so my knowledge of Japanese sci-fi is basically limited to Gundam and that Yamato space ship series.

e: and by "nothing but Gundam kits" I literally mean an entire isle of Gundam kits, and then maybe a small row of One Piece ships (wtf?) and then some Gundam zoids. Not even a single airplane kit or anything.

That tank is an anime tank, and personally I like to see those anime things brought to life. For that edelweiss it was 5400 yen. Off hand sci fi like things that might be modeled just look around for some sci fi anime shows and they probably built at least 1 model kit out of something from it.

Sci fi animes that probably have a model kit for it.

The sand crawler from trigun
arm slaves from full metal panic (basically a gundam)
ships from legend of galactic heros
ships from bodacious space pirates (that was a poor choice of words for a portmanteau)
ships from cowboy bepop

E: Looking at all my terrible terrible anime I just now realize how often gundams, or knock off gundams appear.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Chillyrabbit posted:

That tank is an anime tank, and personally I like to see those anime things brought to life. For that edelweiss it was 5400 yen. Off hand sci fi like things that might be modeled just look around for some sci fi anime shows and they probably built at least 1 model kit out of something from it.

Sci fi animes that probably have a model kit for it.

The sand crawler from trigun
arm slaves from full metal panic (basically a gundam)
ships from legend of galactic heros
ships from bodacious space pirates (that was a poor choice of words for a portmanteau)
ships from cowboy bepop

E: Looking at all my terrible terrible anime I just now realize how often gundams, or knock off gundams appear.

Yes, looking at that tank made me think about the subject again. I guess I'm looking for something a bit more bulky/realistic than the gundam type kits, either something looking kind of like existing tech (like that Eidelweiss tank or Maschinen Krieger) or something more hefty, maybe even like Ghost in the Shell style?

I'll keep looking, as I haven't found anything that really stands out yet. There might even be something in the Gundam range that is not as "gundamy", because it would be cool to be able to pick up a kit for 1500 yen when that would barely cover the shipping if I want to get it back home.

Basically I want something sci-fi that looks like it could be an actual machine, not a humanoid flying robot with spiky edges.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Jan 1, 2015

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!
I've always liked the Akuyaku #1

It's 1/72 kit; I can't remember if I saw it other than at shop at the Ghibli museum; but chances are it'll be in a store somewhere.

Otherwise you might have to go to the Ghibli museum

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Yellow Sub in Akihabara has a very large selection of a bunch of different kits, including historical ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

You can use the superglue to glue the wound shut. If I recall correctly, this might actually be the purpose it was developed for. It stings like hell, but does a pretty good job.

Nah, the seppos were trying to make some clear gun sights and jet canopies and were trying out cyanoacrylate but it sucked then some guy figured out it had a commercial use.