Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Endorph posted:

Wild Arms 3 is really good but is really long. It's basically like they made 3 games with the same cast and basically no plot connection except the development of said cast and then crammed them all into one game.

Yeah this is basically the long and the short of it, it's a pretty cool game but it just never ends. I got to the final arc and just gave up when another completely new villain was introduced. Approaching it as a long-form anime type thing and adjusting your expectations accordingly is probably the best shout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Endorph posted:

and 4 and 5 basically strip it out entirely.

But nanomachines

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Zereth posted:

Beats the .Hack solution of making one game and stretching it over four, full-price releases! :v:

But yeah play WA3. It's the only game which really delivers on the western theme that was kinda rubbed gently on the first game.

Endorph posted:

Wild Arms was heavily influenced by Trigun, which was a sci-fi/western mix.

3 is the only game that really handles that blend well, though. 1 and 2 just sort of have the western stuff as a coat of paint, and 4 and 5 basically strip it out entirely.

Hey at least it's in the soundtrack!

...It's still in the soundtrack for 4 and 5, is it? :(

One last question, 4 is the RPG where one character's dramatic sacrifice is jumping and punching a missile, right?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

mycot posted:

One last question, 4 is the RPG where one character's dramatic sacrifice is jumping and punching a missile, right?

Yes. Also you kill a guy who thinks he's a vampire by throwing a helicopter at him in a fit of cowardice.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I think all the Wild Arms are varying degrees of decent to good. I like Wild Arms V because the main character is a literal crazy person. Also it's a pretty solid game.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

MockingQuantum posted:

Anyone who hasn't played Sweet Home doesn't know how to live and owes it to themselves to try it. I wish there were more games like it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Yeah this is basically the long and the short of it, it's a pretty cool game but it just never ends. I got to the final arc and just gave up when another completely new villain was introduced. Approaching it as a long-form anime type thing and adjusting your expectations accordingly is probably the best shout.
its like watching dbz.

1: saiyans
2: namek
3: cell
post-game: buu

Forest Thief Pud
Dec 26, 2011

mycot posted:

How long are Wild Arms 4 and 5? I'm inclined to pass on them because the stuff I heard is discouraging to me (apparently running screaming from the already loose western theme, having a less favorable reception in general) but if they're not enormously long I might play them anyway out of completionism.

Wild Arms 4's only real high points are the HEX battle system, which 5 and XF take and make it better anyways, the pseduo-platforming stuff the game has with it's dungeon traversal, and laughing at how loving stupid the cutscenes get. It's got one of the worst plots out there though, and Jude Maverick is one of the absolute worst JRPG protagonists out there who's completely insufferable through the 20 hour adventure. I also remember the game having enemies that will just outright steal levels from you in one of the late game dungeons, which was infuriating.

5 is the big, dumb, silly anniversary game. It throws references to the other games where it can (including outfits of past cast members as ultimate armor), and it honestly has the most wild-west feel outside of 3, which really isn't saying much, to be fair. If you can handle the incredibly silly plot, the combat's a lot of fun, even if it runs into the issue of nearly every character is interchangeable due to the medium system. It'll probably take you about 30-40 hours for basic story completion.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Endorph posted:

its like watching dbz.

1: saiyans
2: namek
3: cell
post-game: buu

ragbuu o raga

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Endorph posted:

Wild Arms 3 is really good but is really long. It's basically like they made 3 games with the same cast and basically no plot connection except the development of said cast and then crammed them all into one game.

Oh is it actually like a 3 segment game in that fashion? I don't mind that if the gameplay has a good progression. I'll have to chase down a copy after the holidays since it seems like it's not on PSN (wtf?????)

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

There hasn't been a non-Disney 'PS2 classic' added to PSN since June. Atlus may literally be the only company that cares at this point

e: naturally japan PSN is still getting them (grandia II and Xtreme added in the past month)

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

Rascyc posted:

Oh is it actually like a 3 segment game in that fashion? I don't mind that if the gameplay has a good progression. I'll have to chase down a copy after the holidays since it seems like it's not on PSN (wtf?????)
The anime opening literally changes (in minor ways) as the game progresses.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rascyc posted:

Wild Arms 3 can't be put on the PSN unfortunately. The PS2 emulation they use plays really badly with the way the game was programmed. They actually mentioned it since people were requesting the game.

XSEED posted:

We would love to see Wild Arms posted up there too, but it appears there’s something with the coding that’s preventing it from being compatible with PS3′s via the necessary emulation that other PS2 titles that are up on PSN are using.”

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

That doesn't really explain why Wild Arms 5 is on PSN in Japan and not NA tho, at least get that one up XSEED, ya heard

e: also Level 5 what the gently caress Dark Cloud and Rogue Galaxy are on PSN in Japan and not NA, get ya poo poo together

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Dec 31, 2014

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

To the guy who recommended me all those SRPGs thank you, they were really fun and scratched that medieval backstabbing itch.

This might be a little weirder. I'm looking for a more recent game to be a necromancer. Somewhere in the last five years or so. I've already played Path of Exile and the Diablo series for that itch, I even went to Dungeon Crawl and played a Death Knight Octopode.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
They are to thee as thou art to insects.

God BoF4's intro is slow and plodding. Every scene is so. Slow. Very little hook in this one too.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvFz6ITEYMY

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

bloodychill posted:

They are to thee as thou art to insects.

God BoF4's intro is slow and plodding. Every scene is so. Slow. Very little hook in this one too.

It wasn't as bad for it being my first time through. It's no footrace to the finish, though.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I really wanted Wild Arms 3 to not be so tedious. While it is the only game in its series to fully embrace the wild west aesthetic its pacing is horrendous and there's no moment where it gets exciting. It falls into the trap that some of the Tales games do where a plot thread is resolved in the same manner a season of a TV show would end. And it also falls to the use of Western terminology in an inappropriate setting. The SMT series gets away with this beautifully but every other RPG isn't afraid to toss poo poo at you like HERMES TRISMEGISTUS MACHINE like what the gently caress man (Xenogears was especially atrocious with its Soylent Green plotline out of nowhere).

I don't know why I kept pushing through but after a final boss that lasted somewhere around 40 minutes and a big "gently caress you" ending I just put it to the back of my memory. The first game was awesome. 2 and 3 not so much. I'm a sucker for an anime RPG so eventually I'll get to 4 and 5 and probably hate them as well.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

dont play wa4 or 5, idgaf about your taste in animes

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

corn in the bible posted:

dont play wa4 or 5, idgaf about your taste in animes

really? just pass entirely on them? i wanted to hear that they are good / worth playing for fans of WA

i gotta play more of shadow hearts i need to attack my game pile in an orderly fashion. i finally beat casius in ffxiii-3 and now i am navigating ruins and looking for vhs tapes in the desert

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.

hubris.height posted:

really? just pass entirely on them? i wanted to hear that they are good / worth playing for fans of WA

i gotta play more of shadow hearts i need to attack my game pile in an orderly fashion. i finally beat casius in ffxiii-3 and now i am navigating ruins and looking for vhs tapes in the desert

5 is worth playing for the battle system, 4 really isn't. Both are worse then 1-3 though.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

I dunno, I like WA4 a lot. It's fast, battles are fun, Raquel loving owns, the platforming is actually fun too and it's over quick.

I couldn't stand WA5 though, nobody ever shuts the gently caress up, especially Dean. He ruined the platforming by constantly opening his fat yap to shout out "LET'S TAKE A LOOK AROUND!", "LET'S TAKE A LOOKSIE!" or grunting for every rung of a ladder he climbed and ugh. Actually most of my problem is Dean. gently caress Dean. He's worse than Jude.

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Exhibition C: Colgate white smile
I like Wild ARMs 4 also, but Jude is still the most terrible main character to grace JRPG history. All the characters, excepting Arnaud, were annoying. And that blockhead Kresnik wouldn't stop ranting about CONVICTION this and CONVICTION that.

I'll agree with you on the gameplay, though. Wild ARMs 5's combat felt too long when compared to 4.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Terrible how? Is he Tales of the Abyss Luke terrible where he's a dangerously naive manchild paired with the strongest people on the planet who refuse to teach him or is he Radiata Stories Jack Russell terrible where he trolls everyone by pretending he's ignorant and will destroy the world to adventure with his tsundere girlfriend?

Because Luke was sad but Jack Russell is amazing and I need to know if he's sad-terrible or amazing-terrible.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I'm one of the few who actually prefers Wild Arms 4 too. Yes, the main message of the story is a bit weird but considering some of the localization goofs elsewhere in that game I chalk it up to that and yes, the game is rather short but I really liked the platforming, the combat was snappy and fun, Racquel and Arnaud had a rather cute arc together and people kind of forget that Jude, the main character is literally a child who is thrust into situations that even an adult would struggle with and it's kind of the point of the game.

On the other hand, Wild Arms 5 actually annoyed me with characters who are meant to be much more mature but are obnoxious assholes instead with a battle system that is technically improved from 4 but also much more plodding and slow, uninspired dungeon and overworld design, a generic "racism is bad ok!?" story and an ending that made me outright dislike the game for the bullshit it pulled.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I'm one of the few who actually prefers Wild Arms 4 too. Yes, the main message of the story is a bit weird but considering some of the localization goofs elsewhere in that game I chalk it up to that and yes, the game is rather short but I really liked the platforming, the combat was snappy and fun, Racquel and Arnaud had a rather cute arc together and people kind of forget that Jude, the main character is literally a child who is thrust into situations that even an adult would struggle with and it's kind of the point of the game.

On the other hand, Wild Arms 5 actually annoyed me with characters who are meant to be much more mature but are obnoxious assholes instead with a battle system that is technically improved from 4 but also much more plodding and slow, uninspired dungeon and overworld design, a generic "racism is bad ok!?" story and an ending that made me outright dislike the game for the bullshit it pulled.

I played through the Japanese version of WA4. It ain't localization.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
WA5's biggest problem is that it relies on the Search function to find items on the map but Dean's voice clips play EVERY TIME you hit the button. Other than that the game is pretty fun. It has a great soundtrack, tons to do and the battle system is WA4 but better. I like all the Wild Arms, personally, but I still think the original is best. I wish Alter Code F had just gussied up the graphics and left the mechanics alone.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Wild Arms 5 is great because there are like dozens of bonus bosses, and if you're good with choosing your mediums and managing Force, you can take on bosses 30-something levels above you. It's very fun to play, so long as you don't expect anything from the plot.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Wild Arms V had the most horrific nightmarish ending in RPGdom, made worse by them trying to play it off as simply bittersweet. I liked the game though, they dont make RPGs like it anymore. Come back PS2 :(

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
You guys are pretty sturdy; I played Wild ARMs V up to the first boss before deciding that trudging through this writing just wasn't worth it.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Heavy neutrino posted:

You guys are pretty sturdy; I played Wild ARMs V up to the first boss before deciding that trudging through this writing just wasn't worth it.

I play a ton of Tales games so I'm no stranger to dumb anime plots that are also sometimes thinly veiled racism metaphors.

Though, It occurs to me now that I probably ignored all the faults of Wild Arms 5 plot wise because the music is SO good.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

OneDeadman posted:

I play a ton of Tales games so I'm no stranger to dumb anime plots that are also sometimes thinly veiled racism metaphors.

Though, It occurs to me now that I probably ignored all the faults of Wild Arms 5 plot wise because the music is SO good.

Yeah, the music is really really good. I tend to ignore faults of games that draw me in and a good soundtrack does wonders for that.

Speaking of bad games that draw me in, Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment is a ton of fun. I was a little put off at first when the combat system felt so button mashy but now that I've played for a while, it's a lot more technical than I gave it credit for. Once I figured out timed guards and companion commands and all that stuff, I was easily taking down NMs 30 levels higher than me. The translation is really bad and does an awful job informing the player of how to do those things though.

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

The power of the Outsider is

...dat ass
:yosbutt:
Wild ARMs 4 is a fun game with a poo poo story. Everything about Wild ARMs 5 is incredibly dull except the soundtrack.

Forest Thief Pud
Dec 26, 2011

Mr. Fortitude posted:

people kind of forget that Jude, the main character is literally a child who is thrust into situations that even an adult would struggle with and it's kind of the point of the game.

He insists that his world view is correct despite the fact that he really doesn't have one because he's lived in a utopian city that hide themselves all his drat life, and never really changes it. There's also the ending where he does one of the most selfish things he could have done and is rewarded for doing it. WA4 also routinely beats you over the head with it's CHILDREN ARE THE FUTURE message, it just doesn't have a catchphrase they repeat that encapsulates it like WA5 did.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Forest Thief Pud posted:

He insists that his world view is correct despite the fact that he really doesn't have one because he's lived in a utopian city that hide themselves all his drat life, and never really changes it. There's also the ending where he does one of the most selfish things he could have done and is rewarded for doing it. WA4 also routinely beats you over the head with it's CHILDREN ARE THE FUTURE message, it just doesn't have a catchphrase they repeat that encapsulates it like WA5 did.

WA5's catchphrase is "Let's take a little looksy!" x 10000000000

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I thought it was more "So there is this wall right? A wall between our races, and we like need to tear it down somehow. No I don't know how but this is part of the wall we need to tear down, because walls are bad."

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

What's the preferred way of playing Tactics Ogre? I played the PS1 version briefly when it was released, and I've never come back to it since. I've heard that the PSP version is pretty punishing compared to the PS1 version, is that true?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Whoever told you that was yanking your chain or quit the game on battle #4. The game is incredibly easy outside of "PROTECT X" missions, and those are all beaten easy by using the tarot card that teleports a guy around (don't be stingy with them, just use them on those missions).

There's also an early fight with a certain necromancer that cockblocks people but again, your inventory can trivialize that fight if you can figure it out (hint: you can use scrolls from your inventory with any class to cast spells).

Aside from that, pretty easy game. If you ever think it's hard, just use more archers. Or less archers if you want it to be a little more difficult.

Also ignore crafting unless you have an actual PSP. If you are playing on a PSP, then use CFW and use cheat codes to give yourself all the crafting materials.

The PS1 version really sucks to play now cause levels mean everything and all battles are scaled to your highest level, so whenever someone leveled up you would have to equalize all of your levels across the board by using the mock-battle-training feature which could take up to ~30-45 minutes of beating your own dudes up. It was a fun game but everyone suppresses the training thing from their memories. There's no earthly way to go back to that game. Maybe with cheats.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Dec 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

MockingQuantum posted:

What's the preferred way of playing Tactics Ogre? I played the PS1 version briefly when it was released, and I've never come back to it since. I've heard that the PSP version is pretty punishing compared to the PS1 version, is that true?

The PSP version is actually really easy compared to the original. Protection missions can be a bit of a pain in the rear end, but most of the ones that game over you for letting the NPC die aren't too punishing. The real garbage comes from those missions where saving the NPC is optional and allows you to recruit them thereafter -- I'm pretty sure I just gave up on some of them where it's entirely possible for the enemy team to bring the NPC from 100 to 0 in between your characters' turns (the one that comes to mind is saving the red shaman sister from Oz on the chaos route). As Rascyc said, make sure you use the card that grants Blinkwalk (Wheel of Fortune, I think?) on whoever has the biggest heals, as it lets characters completely ignore terrain height differences and obstacles to easily reach the endangered NPC.

Its mechanics aren't very well thought out (try having an entire team crammed into only two or three different classes and see how quickly you outlevel the enemy progression), and it has some baffling design decisions that -- I'm serious -- encourage you to abuse the RNG with the in-game rewind function as well as some soul-crushing grinds, but it's pretty fun if you stick to the beaten path and ignore the more tedious stuff.