Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Hey, any of the Israelis in Israel want to buy a weekend Yedioth edition? Their 7 Days section should have the results of an undercover expose by a journalist who infiltrated Lehava.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW

Volkerball posted:

Yeah, I don't know what it is about militant atheists and just despising the poo poo out of Muslims. I'm not sure if they're attempting to be equal opportunity haters and failing or what, but all those guys are crazy intolerant towards Islam relative to other religions. It's weird.

A lot of atheists, like most people, would rather be bullies than be bullied, so they won't miss an opportunity to be on the same side as the hateful establishment evangelicals against a group that it's mainstream to hate. "Look, we hate the filthy sand people too!"

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

There is a lot of hostility towards Islam in western societies in general, that is probably the reason.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

illrepute posted:

A lot of atheists, like most people, would rather be bullies than be bullied, so they won't miss an opportunity to be on the same side as the hateful establishment evangelicals against a group that it's mainstream to hate. "Look, we hate the filthy sand people too!"

I really don't think this is the reason.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Miltank posted:

Yeah the real reason is that atheists still have massive cultural blind spots due to being (generally) from Christian families or cultures.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

It might be because Christianity comes off as more of a "tamed" religion in the West by the standards of hardline atheists. Sure, it has a lot of influence, and there are still things like George Bush thinking he's on some kind of crusade by invading Iraq, but Islam is a much more overtly powerful player in predominantly Muslim countries (or at least recently). An explicitly-named "Islamic Republic" is more common and expected than a "Christian Republic", despite the occasional attempts of American Republicans to argue otherwise.

It's missing the forest for the trees since the culture gap that causes xenophobia and conflict is bigger than whether one nation is more religious than another, and the same people trumpeting rationality over superstition are often just falling prey to the same old identity politics. To tie this back to I/P discussion, when pro-Israel advocates talk up how Israel shares secular-rational values with the West and start in on the "only Democracy in the Middle-East" talking point, it's really just a claim to being more Western and less foreign as a reason for support - One Of Us, Not Like Them. It's especially nonsense considering it lives alongside the "explicitly Jewish homeland" talking point.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Hey, any of the Israelis in Israel want to buy a weekend Yedioth edition? Their 7 Days section should have the results of an undercover expose by a journalist who infiltrated Lehava.

I'm assuming that stuff isn't online anywhere? I'd be interested, but I'd need a translation as well, so that's probably a no-go.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Dolash posted:

It might be because Christianity comes off as more of a "tamed" religion in the West by the standards of hardline atheists. Sure, it has a lot of influence, and there are still things like George Bush thinking he's on some kind of crusade by invading Iraq, but Islam is a much more overtly powerful player in predominantly Muslim countries (or at least recently). An explicitly-named "Islamic Republic" is more common and expected than a "Christian Republic", despite the occasional attempts of American Republicans to argue otherwise.

It's missing the forest for the trees since the culture gap that causes xenophobia and conflict is bigger than whether one nation is more religious than another, and the same people trumpeting rationality over superstition are often just falling prey to the same old identity politics. To tie this back to I/P discussion, when pro-Israel advocates talk up how Israel shares secular-rational values with the West and start in on the "only Democracy in the Middle-East" talking point, it's really just a claim to being more Western and less foreign as a reason for support - One Of Us, Not Like Them. It's especially nonsense considering it lives alongside the "explicitly Jewish homeland" talking point.

I had the same thought, but I couldn't quite think of how to put it into words. Agreed.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

botany posted:

I'm assuming that stuff isn't online anywhere? I'd be interested, but I'd need a translation as well, so that's probably a no-go.

They don't usually post these stories online, and yeah, it would be in Hebrew.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Miltank posted:

Simple racism explains it. Blah blah Islam is not a race but they're not picturing Uyghurs or fair-skinned Turks now are they?

Mandy Thompson
Dec 26, 2014

by zen death robot

Israel does kill gays like him too, just from a distance, with bombs, and as a means of enforcing Jewish supremacy rather than because he's gay.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Absurd Alhazred posted:

They don't usually post these stories online, and yeah, it would be in Hebrew.

I did not buy the paper but some dude on facebook scanned a bunch of paragraphs I believe he thought were particularly damning:
http://imgur.com/JzZtG8z,n2W3etn,s6vfxuU,lZ1YdvO

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I did not buy the paper but some dude on facebook scanned a bunch of paragraphs I believe he thought were particularly damning:
http://imgur.com/JzZtG8z,n2W3etn,s6vfxuU,lZ1YdvO

Let me see if I can put them in logical order and roughly translate them:

---

I Join Lehava after its well-publicized action against the wedding of Morel and Mahmoud. A few days after I join the Petah Tikva branch of the organization, we receive word: "Friends, on Thursday at 8:30PM, there will be a stand at the entrance of the big park right across from the courthouse in Petah Tikva. Make sure you attend."

"The folks in Petah Tikva are doing really hot work", an old activist from Jerusalem will later tell me. "Good people, they come to the park prepared, get it? Let's say that since they've been there, Arabs hardly come over anyway".

After the tour I return to the stand and try to find a shirt my size in the pile. I find a metallic object among the clothes. Looking closer I see that these are brass knuckles. Later I will see an activist putting his hand in his pocket and quickly transferring a heavy iron chain to a purse. When our eyes meet, he will give me a knowing smile.

A month later, when I take part in an action in Jerusalem, I will hear about activists being arrested in Petah Tikva. "They do it differently over there", a high-level Jerusalem activist will tell me. "They can come in with all kinds of arms. I was at their stand once, and told them to at least hide it."

The hall is completely full, with the women's section boarded off. Rabbi Kahane's angry face looks at us from several large screens. His voice, calling for the execution of terrorists, depicting leftists as traitors and Arabs as a cancer, booms from the loudspeakers. The audience roars, claps, boos whenever Shimon Peres` name is mentioned.

This scene isn't taken from a Kach campaign rally sometime in the '80s; rather, it happened at Heichal David in Jerusalem, this November. I get there with an activists` bus, which first takes us to Kahane's grave at Har Menuhot, then to the memorial marking 24 years since his assassination.

When we get there, the hall is full of activists from Lehava, Hozrim Lahar ("Returning to the Mountain" --AA), Otzma Yehudit ("Jewish Power" --AA), and more. Sales carts at the entrance offer Kahane merchandise: necklaces, keychains, shirts, stickers, and several of his books.

"45 years ago Rabbi Kahane said, yelled, cried out that the enemy within is a cancer, and that if we do not cast this cancer out, we will cease to exist", Gupstein begins. "Unfortunately, this dangerous cancer of coexistence has metastasized and spread everywhere. In the government there are ministers who promote coexistence. Who provide them with jobs, get them into hi-tech, let them become doctors." The audience boos angrily.

"Today everyone knows that Rabbi Kahane was right", he continues, "but knowing is not enough. The Rabbi wanted action, so we come here not only to remember the Rabbi Kahane, but also to succeed him."

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Peace Now are doing this facebook campaign where they share statements by former Likud prime ministers which contradict the hare brained statements of the current leadership, I enjoyed this one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSHyny7Ia8k

I dedicate this post to resident Ariel Sharon fan Avshalom.
:swoon:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Anyone got that 'shooting and crying' post lying around?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Darth Walrus posted:

Anyone got that 'shooting and crying' post lying around?
:ocelot:

Xander77 posted:

Shortly after the Six Day war, the interview collection The Seventh Day ("Siah Lohamim" or "Warriors Speak") was published. Even though it was intended to counteract the aggressive arrogance that dominated Israeli Zeitgeist after the Six Day war, it encountered the typical reaction reserved for liberal zionist self-expression - anger at the tearful confessions from the right/center, including the mainstream Kibbutz movement, and the (now longstanding shorthand) expression "Shooting and Crying" from the left. I'm not sure if said expression hails directly from this parody or it's just the most famous work to make use of a popular joke to say something fairly poignant, but...

It's a bit bloated, the first half establishing the scene more than anything, but the second half is just pure gold.

"Back when they were going through their Hakshara, Zeev said that without strength, nothing can be built here, and Sonia agreed. But then Sonia said that without morals, nothing will be left here, and Zeev agreed.

So they decided to call their first boy "Shooting", and raise him to shoot, and call their second boy "Crying" and raise him to cry.

So it goes.

But in the evening, when Shooting would come back from his target practice, Sonia, who believed that without morals there will be nothing left here, would also teach him to cry.

And when Crying came home from his crying practice, Zeev, who believed that without strength nothing can be built here, would also teach him to shoot.

So Shooting and Crying went forth into the world.

Every time there's a war on, Shooting and Crying are the first to volunteer, because that's how they were raised.

They fight like lions, fly like eagles, and kill without peer. "Shooting and Crying are our finest youth", the commander would say after every battle.

But when the war is over, Shooting and Crying go home and write. Songs and stories and journals and books about the evil of wars, the ugliness of destruction and the awfulness of killing.

Because that's how they were raised.

When in the government, Shooting and Crying always vote according to the decree of their conscience; but always, when the opposite decision is made, they have no choice but to implement it completely.

"We don't agree with a single word in the decision", Shooting and Crying tell the journalists, "but we will give our lives to make it happen".

But Shooting and Crying are not hypocrites. So every night, before they sleep, they malign the decision, to gain the strength needed to keep carrying it out tomorrow.

When Shooting and Crying settle somewhere, they, like everyone else, kick out those who were there beforehand.

But Shooting and Crying, unlike everyone else, are, in principle, against the expulsion of those who were there beforehand.

Shooting and Crying will occasionally even attend a demonstration for the rights of the expelled to return to their land. Then they go home to sow and reap.

For they sow in tears but reap in joy - Shooting and Crying.

Shooting and Crying aren't stupid, so, when they see things aren't going so well, they decide to protest so that things might get a bit better.

So Shooting and Crying form a gathering and declare that things aren't that good, and someone should do something.

Then they go home, but things keep going poorly regardless.

So Shooting and Crying gather once more, and declare that things are honestly getting quite bad, and someone should really do something.

Then they return to their homes, but things keep going as they go.

So Shooting and Crying gather for the final time, and declare that things aren't going that well, and are getting quite intolerable really, and something must be done: so they are forced to support (with due reservations, of course) the current situation, because otherwise things might get even worse, and the present fairly-bad-situation is still better than the non-present far-worse-situation, so they publish a protest petition in support of the current situation.

Things immediately turn not-so-bad, and they go home.

Whenever the Turklin Caves are demolished to make room for a housing project [Apparently those caves were demolished so well that not a single trace is left on google] Shooting and Crying are there, and they cry twice.

Once, for grief as the destruction of a natural treasure. Then, again, for joy for the continued settling of the land.

For Shooting and Crying greatly love nature and the land both.

Once a year, Shooting and Crying will visit a slum, or a poverty protest, and will be shocked and hurt. "Wherefore the poverty?" ask Shooting and Crying in shock. "Why the pain?" they ask in poverty. "How the shock?" they ask themselves in pain. "From where this distress?" they ask in distress. [Probably the most problematic translation in the whole skit. In the original, every question is a synonym for "From where X", which didn't really work for me. Any suggestions would be welcome]

They have a lot of poignant questions, Shooting and Crying.

In the occupation army.

Shooting and Crying are opposed to the occupation, so they love to serve in the occupation army.

Shooting and Crying love their service, because in the occupied territories they can shoot and cry as much as they will.

They shoot because they are not wanted there.

They cry because they are not wanted there.

They shoot because they cry. They cry because they shoot.

With one hand Shooting and Crying are shooting, and with one eye Shooting and Crying are crying.

It is so lovely to see Shooting and Crying shooting and crying Shooting and crying shooting and Crying.

So it goes.

Shooting and Crying. "

העולם הזה, 15.12.1976

Bonus: Ballad to a Druze:

Xander77 posted:

A ballad to a Druze, byYonatan Gefen. (I wanted to link to an article someone posted fairly recently comparing the Sikh and Duze positions as "plucky warrior cultures" co-opted by the Brits and Israelis here, but I can't seem to find it)

In a green village at the feet of Mount Carmel
A loyal son is born to the state of Israel
Taught at his school (a boys only class)
Two hours on Muhammad and three on Zionism to pass
He rushed ahead with the tailwind
And joined the army at eighteen.
Specifically into the Sayeret and then an officers course
His commanders took great pride, of course. (I believe I'll stop trying to rhyme now)
And they said; with the Doobon and the Uzi,
who on earth can see he's a Druze?

At Kiryat Shmona, facing a murderers fire
He forged ahead with his gun drawn
And was the first to be wounded and collapse
badly injured, his feet paralyzed
And the medevac crew told the news:
With that blood being spilled on the Doobonand the Uzi, who on earth can see he's a Druze?

The next day, the demonstration starts
while the wounded hero's brother cries in the order
When suddenly, without a word of warning
he starts taking stone throws to the head
Because without a Doobon and with no Uzi
it was all too clear he's a Druze.

Shame I can't find any recording of the ballad being performed. The Israeli internet kinda sucks that way.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

quote:

while the wounded hero's brother cries in the order
Err. Might have been sheer translation fatigue right there. Let's try to come up with something at least a bit less word-saladey.

In other news, I never did get a link to that Sikh-Druze thing. I'm pretty sure I saw the original link in D&D, while we're at it.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Curious to see if the recently announced corruption investigations into lieberman's party mean another Knesset with Bibi at the head. Not that I think any party in Israeli politics isn't corrupt as poo poo, I was really looking forward to anyone, sans Bennet, to be prime minister.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Avigdor himself has not been charged with anything, as much as I dislike the bloke and have little doubts that the corruption in his party runs deep he has a point when he claims that there is more than a smidgen of political persecution involved with the timing and the ferocity of this investigation, let me double stress that I don't believe that there is any framing going on, he has been involved in multiple corruption and violence scandals in the past and there is no question that his party are a bunch of thieves and con-men and yet it has just been published yesterday that the state attorney will postpone the investigation into Likud corruptions until after the election, so one might wonder what exactly went down between Benjamin "Chikenshit" Yahoo and Liberman that they're now political enemies.

Oh, and if the past teaches us anything, expect a series of convenient suicides among key witnesses, Liberman will remain unscathed, will replace those atainted members of his party with some new cronies who look to make a name for themselves by spouting nationalistic idiocy and don't mind getting involved with some criminal activity.

And regardless, even if Yisrael Beitenu tanks in the elections it's not like their prospective voters are going to switch to Meretz or Avoda, they'll either vote Likud (which might be the motivation behind this whole debacle) or possibly Kahlon, so this is not going to have much of an impact ultimately.

emanresu tnuocca fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Dec 29, 2014

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
I love you, Ariel. It's been almost a year since you died and began to visit me. I look forward to sleeping now like I never did before; our friendship has become a powerful source of hope in my life. But what is the future going to hold for us? I'm twenty-four. I could live for a very long time. Am I going to spend the rest of my life married to a dead man who I can only see in my dreams?

Am I strong enough for this? Why did you choose me? I have no political sway. My words can't move hearts or change minds. I am not your equal.

Are my dream babies real? I love them as if they were.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeIc8-Ex5Ic

Strangely appropriate.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Another Palestinian teenager murdered in cold blood by the IDF, a single shot to the heart for the crime of walking back to his home after school: http://www.maannews.net/eng/ViewDetails.aspx?ID=750639 (contains an image of the corpse)

This brings the number of Palestinians murdered by the IDF in the west bank in 2014 to 50.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

emanresu tnuocca posted:

This brings the number of Palestinians murdered by the IDF in the west bank in 2014 to 50.

Do they get two weeks of vacations?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Are you sure that guy was an IDF soldier? Maybe he was jsut an NYPD officer on vacation.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Oh btw guys, tonight's the UNSEC vote for Palestinian statehood, it seems like most UNSEC members are going to support the proposition so expect a US veto.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

MonsieurChoc posted:

Are you sure that guy was an IDF soldier? Maybe he was jsut an NYPD officer on vacation.

Sometimes an IDF soldier gets the NYPD blues.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

MonsieurChoc posted:

I know it was a joke but doesn't the NYPD still do its totally legitimate liaison officer program that's not at all an illegal intelligence agency thing, so there probably are a couple NYPD cops in Tel Aviv.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

eSports Chaebol posted:

I know it was a joke but doesn't the NYPD still do its totally legitimate liaison officer program that's not at all an illegal intelligence agency thing, so there probably are a couple NYPD cops in Tel Aviv.

Was still running as of November:

“The NYPD is in close contact with its liaison post in Israel. We have increased our police presence at synagogues and other key locations around the city.” (my bold)

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Part of the reason the police in Ferguson are so hosed up is because they had a IDF liaison program officer running things for a bit too, the cops are trained to view people walking around as enemy combatants, potential instant death terrorist berserkers that can explode into violence at any second.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Neo Rasa posted:

Part of the reason the police in Ferguson are so hosed up is because they had a IDF liaison program officer running things for a bit too, the cops are trained to view people walking around as enemy combatants, potential instant death terrorist berserkers that can explode into violence at any second.

Oh, ffs. Who thinks "hey, let's treat our majority minority population like a force which repeatedly has armed insurrections under its watch" is a good idea?! There was this bit with some secret CIA court using Israeli legal precedent. Why? Why insist on repeating other people's mistakes? Next they'll demand to be allowed to demolish the homes of criminals or something.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
And the US and Australia voted against the UNSC resolution seeking a final peace deal.

Welp. No surprise here.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/middleeast/2014/12/un-votes-against-palestinian-statehood-20141230212147910509.html

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

eSports Chaebol posted:

I had no clue that was a thing. Holy poo poo.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

CommieGIR posted:

And the US and Australia voted against the UNSC resolution seeking a final peace deal.

Welp. No surprise here.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/middleeast/2014/12/un-votes-against-palestinian-statehood-20141230212147910509.html

Not that it mattered, because it didn't reach the required nine votes to be formally considered, where it would be shot down by the US veto. I like how the reasoning from Washington was that they didn't want this put to a vote with Israeli elections upcoming. Because otherwise, they surely would've abstained from the vote. :jerkbag:

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

quote:

1:00 A.M. As part of U.S. efforts to prevent the Palestinian bid from garnering majority at the Security Council, Secretary of State John Kerry over the past two days called his counterparts in Jordan, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Britain, Chile, Lithuania, German and France. He also spoke with the president of Rwanda, the European Union's foreign policy chief Federica Mogherini, Palestinian President Abbas and Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.

Prior to the vote, Netanyahu spoke to the presidents of Nigeria and Rwanda, asking them not to support the Palestinian draft resolution. Both abstained from the vote. (Barak Ravid)

12:45 A.M. Palestinian sources told Haaretz that the U.S. put heavy pressure on several states to abstain from the vote. According to estimations, countries like South Korea and Nigeria decided against supporting the bid due to U.S. pressure. (Jack Khoury)

Loving Kerry acting as an Israeli PR guy just so that the US could say it didn't cast a veto.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Really embarrassing to watch my country do another country's gross dirty work. And they wonder who the real client state is.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
"Mr. President! It's the Secretary of State of US!"

"Really?! What does mighty America want from Rwanda?"

"Umm...please don't vote for Palestinian bid."

"What? Huh? What do you care?"

" Pls! Israel will be SO MAD! We don't wanna veto again!" :qq:

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Dec 31, 2014

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

FlamingLiberal posted:

Really embarrassing to watch my country do another country's gross dirty work. And they wonder who the real client state is.

Oh, Israel definitely is a client state. Its relationship with the USA is adequately described by the client-server model.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Must be such a personally degrading experience for Kerry himself though, he's still gonna get labeled as an anti-semite by Friends of Likud around the globe for pretending to try to broker a ceasefire during protective edge and for calling Bibi chickenshit. Perhaps he was doing all of this to avoid that though? In any way, it must suck being a crony to the whims of Edelson and AIPAC, I guess the pay might be nice.

Edit: 972 has a year in photos piece

http://972mag.com/the-year-in-photos-palestine-israel-in-2014/100748/

Edit: And another update, Ben Deri the IDF border patrol soldier who murdered in cold blood two teenagers in Bitunia a few months ago has just been released to house arrest, this follows the downgrading of his indictment from double accounts of homicide and two additional charges of attempted murder to a single account of manslaughter that is likely to be downgraded even further to 'criminal negligence' or something along those lines. Apartheid justice in full effect.

emanresu tnuocca fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Dec 31, 2014

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
That'll do pig.

quote:

AIPAC commends the Obama administration for its successful efforts to prevent adoption of a resolution by the United Nations Security Council which would have represented a severe setback to the prospect of a resumption of the Israel-Palestinian peace process. The Palestinian leadership’s attempt to advance this counterproductive resolution is an abdication of responsibility to pursue a genuine and lasting resolution to the conflict.

For almost a year, the Palestinian Authority (PA) has consistently rebuffed direct negotiations with Israel. It walked away from talks and embraced the terrorist organization, Hamas. If peace is to be achieved, the PA must break its association with Hamas and return to direct negotiations with Israel. By engaging in destructive, diversionary efforts at international bodies and avoiding direct talks with Israel, the PA is undermining the chances for peace.

AIPAC applauds the administration for its action at the U.N., and urges the United States to continue to press the Palestinians to return to direct peace negotiations with Israel.

That'll do

http://www.aipac.org/learn/resource...il%20Resolution

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

So Much Smug.

• Locked thread