Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

dissss posted:

The point you replied to was in response to the post that 'you'll see RAM usage spike over 1GB'. Which isn't at all indicative of an issue on a modern device.
The post referred to a memory leak using the words "memory leak", it was entirely clear what he was talking about, and every one of us who has seen the issues knows what he is talking about. I agree when people come in the thread and go "hurr why is all my RAM full" but this wasn't at all one of those posts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

dissss posted:

Except that isn't something that is actually happening, at least not on 5.0.1

https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=79729

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice

Daimo posted:

If you do you may as well install a rom with all the bloatware removed, since Samsung think you're scum and disable OTAs.

I can't really blame them for that. Rooting could let users do dumb things to their devices that could cause OTAs to fail.

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

I'm using a NVIDIA Shield Tablet on 5.0.1. It received updates nearly the same time as Nexus devices. I have the nexus 5 as well and my Shield Tablet received the 5.0.1 update literally a day after my N5 did.

Back to the Shield on lollipop, I haven't experienced memory leaks at all. I don't experience launcher redraws or app redraws, however I'm using Nova. I find that my battery experience has improved on Lollipop over Kit Kat. However one annoying experience is that occasionally (every 3-4 days maybe), I'll pick up the tablet to turn it on and nothing happens. I have to hold down the power button, let go then press it again and it turns back on. So something weird going on there, but not annoying enough to really care too much about. People spergier than I would probably inquire further, but :effort:

Aside from that small annoyance, I am really enjoying my Shield Tablet. I previously had the Nexus 10 and aside from the 2" screen size downgrade, I actually prefer the Shield. That K1 flies, and all games play exceptionally well. Really impressed with this thing for $329 when I got it.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

dissss posted:

Except that isn't something that is actually happening, at least not on 5.0.1

Actually the memory leak is still happening on Android 5.0, 5.0.1, and 5.0.2. Google finally added a fix for a future version of Android.

https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=79729

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/1...-issue-tracker/

The problem has mostly been reported on the Nexus 5 and both Nexus 7s but it has happened on pretty much every Nexus device with Lollipop.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Whatever was going on in 5.0 to cause apps to be paged out seems better in 5.0.1. If that wasn't them fixing the memory leak, it was at least good enough to make it not noticeable. At least on my Nexus 5.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Internet Explorer posted:

Whatever was going on in 5.0 to cause apps to be paged out seems better in 5.0.1. If that wasn't them fixing the memory leak, it was at least good enough to make it not noticeable. At least on my Nexus 5.

Agreed.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Quick question, I've gotten a shiny new Shield tablet for Christmas and it's really great (massive, massive upgrade from my old Galaxy Tab) but I've tried connecting it to my laptop with the intention of loading a movie or two for a trip and discovered that Windows 8 doesn't like it much.

It shows as a device but no drivers available, I downloaded the USB drivers from Nvidia's site and followed their installation instructions (loaded as an ADB composite device) which made Windows happy that there is in fact a device with drivers loaded but doesn't let me do anything with it. The tablet registers the connection and is in MTP mode but it's not showing up as a storage device or anything. If I change to PTP (camera mode) the laptop registers the change and gives me appropriate programs to open a camera with but then gives a "cannot detect camera" error message.

Not sure what to do beyond trying to set it up with SDK and seeing if that helps?

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

I'm not sure if I can help, but for me, I just plugged it into my Windows 8.1 machine and it showed up right away, and in Windows Explorer, when i expand the device, i shows internal storage, which can then be browsed through. So for me, it just works....

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

MrNemo posted:

Not sure what to do beyond trying to set it up with SDK and seeing if that helps?

If you can't get the direct wired connection to work, Share your folder with what you want to copy over on the laptop, and connect to it from the tablet with something like ES File Explorer or Root Explorer (works without root for non-system partition stuff on the tablet as far as I know).

Alternatively, use AirDroid to transfer the files.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Might have been a bit premature, prior to doing lots of stuff that would involve youtube tutorials, etc. I rebooted my laptop. The Shield tablet now shows up as a camera but I can access internal storage to load things. That said Airdroid is something I haven't used before and seems like a pretty great app so thanks for that suggestion!

Stormangel
Sep 28, 2001
No, I'm not a girl.

Boywunda posted:

I'm using a NVIDIA Shield Tablet on 5.0.1. It received updates nearly the same time as Nexus devices. I have the nexus 5 as well and my Shield Tablet received the 5.0.1 update literally a day after my N5 did.

Back to the Shield on lollipop, I haven't experienced memory leaks at all. I don't experience launcher redraws or app redraws, however I'm using Nova.

I did get redraws on 5.0, but they are less frequent since 5.0.1. They also seemed to be more prevalent with the Google Now launcher.

I have never had that power button issue, though I use the smart cover and the shield wakes up when I open it.

My only gripe is I sometimes have a phantom touch in the lower left corner that I'll probably end up RMAing over.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Gerdalti posted:

If you had money to burn, what would be the best 8" to 10" Android tablet that runs lollipop at the moment? Or is there something truly kick rear end literally right around the corner?

Tab S is clearly the best tablet right now overall, awesome screen, plenty of RAM, promised lollipop update, no weirdo SOC, native LTE support, honestly I would go for that or wait for CES.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
So on my Nexus 7 (4.4.4), the recent apps button has been bugging out on me for some reason. Half the time it'll simply go straight to the launcher, and the most recent app won't even show up on the screen itself unless I cycle through once or twice. I've tried a factory reset and clearing my partition cache, with no luck. Any ideas?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Hace posted:

So on my Nexus 7 (4.4.4), the recent apps button has been bugging out on me for some reason. Half the time it'll simply go straight to the launcher, and the most recent app won't even show up on the screen itself unless I cycle through once or twice. I've tried a factory reset and clearing my partition cache, with no luck. Any ideas?
Did you just reset or did you flash the stock image? What about on 5.0.1?

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
Weirdest and P much only issue I'v had on 5.01 on my N10 is the overview button deciding not to work sometimes. Specifically almost always after I've switched into the time/date settings to set it forward to reset my lives in candy crush, but hey.

Shannow fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jan 2, 2015

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
On that subject, for Nexus 10 owners, how is yours doing?

A bunch of the time mine runs super smooth but then randomly it will just take fives seconds to task switch or to open the app drawer or whatever. It's pretty frustrating and I'm trying to decide whether it's worth doing a factory reset or whether the thing is just old and bad now.

Also it'd be nice if my N7 actually gets Lollipop sometime this year.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

LastInLine posted:

Did you just reset or did you flash the stock image? What about on 5.0.1?

Just reset. Haven't tried out 5.0.1 yet due to all the problems people have been having with lollipop.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

Tunga posted:

A bunch of the time mine runs super smooth but then randomly it will just take fives seconds to task switch or to open the app drawer or whatever. It's pretty frustrating and I'm trying to decide whether it's worth doing a factory reset or whether the thing is just old and bad now.

Also it'd be nice if my N7 actually gets Lollipop sometime this year.

I gave mine a full wipe before putting on 5 as it was rooted previously, still running with no real issues at all.
I still think I'd like to upgrade it but there doesn't seem to be a decent spec similar sized tablet running stock android that I've seen anywhere.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Shannow posted:

I still think I'd like to upgrade it but there doesn't seem to be a decent spec similar sized tablet running stock android that I've seen anywhere.
Yeah this is my issue. A friend has a Nexus 9 and it's just totally the wrong shape for my usage.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

What launchers do you guys use on your Nexus 7? I've been using Nova since I got it but I kind of want to use something different and more tablet oriented. This is what my screens look:
and

I don't mind if it uses more colors (it's not an OLED screen anyways). I like Windows Phone ui but Launcher 8 isn't optimized for tablets at all so I'm open for suggestions.

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jan 2, 2015

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Hace posted:

Just reset. Haven't tried out 5.0.1 yet due to all the problems people have been having with lollipop.
I guess the first thing I'd try is a flash of the stock image. I've had no problems with 5.0.1 but do whatever you'd like.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

Guillermus posted:

What launchers do you guys use on your Nexus 7? I've been using Nova since I got it but I kind of want to use something different and more tablet oriented. This is what my screens look:
and

I don't mind if it uses more colors (it's not an OLED screen anyways). I like Windows Phone ui but Launcher 8 isn't optimized for tablets at all so I'm open for suggestions.

I roll with the Google Now launcher on everything.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Tunga posted:

Mine gets rare bouts of lag, but the main complaint I have is the battery life (in a nuanced way).

I've had it since close to launch, and the system's power metering and estimates are still unreliable. Sometimes it's good for the full expected time, and other times the tablet gets extra-warm around the top bezel lateral to the camera array, then decides to go from 18% to auto-shutdown. It's not a serious problem because I'm rarely using it for hours on end or for power-hungry activities. But for the occasional times I forget to attach the charger when leaving, it sucks to dread your reported 50% power possibly translating to a ~30% runtime.

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

When I had my N10, I was getting that auto shutdown around 18% as well. Thought maybe it was something I was doing or had done....like play games with it while charging and screwing up the battery. Kind of relieved to see that it happens to other people as well.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

Boywunda posted:

When I had my N10, I was getting that auto shutdown around 18% as well. Thought maybe it was something I was doing or had done....like play games with it while charging and screwing up the battery. Kind of relieved to see that it happens to other people as well.

I had that happen to me for the first time ever a couple of days ago, except it was at 15%.

I do recall after installing a new battery in an older phone there was some setting somewhere that had to be cleared else it would be incorrectly reporting remaining time, I'm wondering if it's perhaps not realising the battery is not holding a charge as much as it once did and needs recalibrated?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Can anyone recommend a good video player? I recently bought an Asus Memo7 572 and I was planning to use VLC for Android, but it is crashing (sound plays, progress bar appears over a black screen, refuses to respond to input) almost every time I start a .mkv file.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Mx Player is generally regarded as best.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Cheers.

Helicoprion
Oct 31, 2010
I have a question about the sumsung galaxy S5 tab.
My s4 is purssure sensatve when i use a art programme, but my boyfriends s5 is not.
is there an option we missed somewhere? Is his tablet defective?

Btw the programs we have been testing on are infinite painter and sketchbook express.

Thanks.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Daimo posted:

Mx Player is generally regarded as best.

Install BS Player as well. There's a few files that one won't handle that the other does. Between the two, there's nothing you can't play.

Protip: If you get a file that has playback problems (no audio, A/V out of sync, or anything else) in either player, try toggling "hardware" and "software" decoding for audio or video off an on. Many files loaded with no sound, but after switching the encoding settings will start working.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

crondaily posted:

I roll with the Google Now launcher on everything.

Sorry for the late reply. The Google Now launcher is way too barebones and has little to no customization at all. You can't even set the rows/columns wich is a basic on almost every launcher.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Guillermus posted:

Sorry for the late reply. The Google Now launcher is way too barebones and has little to no customization at all. You can't even set the rows/columns wich is a basic on almost every launcher.

So what do you recommend? I'm using that on my n9 and the only really good part is the whole google now page since I use that stuff so often. I could use for general customization though.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

If you're not using Now Launcher, check out Nova Launcher and Apex Launcher.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

Rastor posted:

If you're not using Now Launcher, check out Nova Launcher and Apex Launcher.

Nova is pretty great, with some fiddling it becomes near enough like the stock Google launcher visiually, the only thing you miss out on is swiping the google now page to the left, but you can still launch it by swiping up from the bottom, so no biggie.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice
I've switched from Nova to action launcher 2.i only need one home screen so having the widget panel off to the right and app menu to the left is perfect. Works great on my phone and tablet.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

Guillermus posted:

I'm probably a terrible person for launcher talk then, my setup is as follows:

G Now to the left, middle (home) screen is a clock with a series of folders with apps in them (4 x 2 layout) with hotkey buttons underneath it (phone/cal/messenger/app drawer), full screen calendar to the right.

3 screens of simplicity and quickness.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Has anyone gave the new Dell Venue 8 7000 any thought? It was announced as being available today but from what I understand its been on sale at Best Buy for the past few days. It runs Android 4.4 which I don't find bad since both my Nexus 4 and 7 are still running 4.4 with no problems.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Hughmoris posted:

Has anyone gave the new Dell Venue 8 7000 any thought? It was announced as being available today but from what I understand its been on sale at Best Buy for the past few days. It runs Android 4.4 which I don't find bad since both my Nexus 4 and 7 are still running 4.4 with no problems.

quote:

Dell tells us that an upgrade to Android Lollipop will be available shortly, but noted that users could upgrade to Lollipop themselves, as the tablet ships unlocked.

Yeah, I'm going to go with trainwreck on this when the manufacturer is suggesting end-users flash some potentially sketchy non-existent ROM instead of waiting for an official release.

The camera is interesting, of dubious usefulness, otherwise the specs and price seem pretty close to the Tab S which has a bunch better track record with tablets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Yeah the camera seems like a total gimmick. My biggest issue is going with an Atom processor, the battery life is going to be terrible vs. modern ARM chips. I know the 14nm Broadwell Atoms are good, but they're not Nexus 7 levels of battery life good.