Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

The Merkinman posted:

Just tried this on my Nexus 5 and it's not working there either.
EDIT: Subforums of Games load fine though.

I'm getting the same thing. Threads in games I have bookmarked load fine when I access them from the bookmarks list at least.

Nexus 4 w/CM11

EDIT: ^ The app doesn't even display that anywhere right? That's kind of hilarious.

Flagrama fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Dec 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soviet Canuckistan
Oct 24, 2010
The update seems to have rolled back the nice material theme back to holo for me :(

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Gealar posted:

I am experiencing this as well. on andriod galaxy s4

Same on a galaxy s5. Glad I'm not the only one.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Sereri posted:

Everyone will.

I just checked, they deleted the info text for Let's play except for the -

Now the app looks for a text that's no longer there and throws an exception, causing it to not load the forum.

I wish I was kidding.
:eyepop:

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Soviet Canuckistan posted:

The update seems to have rolled back the nice material theme back to holo for me :(

Yeah sorry, Google play handles this in a stupid way where a new production version will archive all alpha and beta versions. I also uploaded a fixed beta version, so you should get a new, old but fixed beta soon

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

On my tablet, changing orientation kicks me out to bookmarks from looking at posts in a thread. Is that expected?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
It's a fresh take on a tablet interface.

Landscape: posts
Landscape upside-down: messages
Portrait-left: bookmarks
Portrait-right: forums
Screen towards ground: new post

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

pokeyman posted:

It's a fresh take on a tablet interface.

Landscape: posts
Landscape upside-down: messages
Portrait-left: bookmarks
Portrait-right: forums
Screen towards ground: new post

But what if you live in Australia? :ohdear:

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Why is "go to page" gone?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Angry Birds Suicide posted:

Why is "go to page" gone?
Tap on the page number.

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Tunga posted:

Tap on the page number.

Holy poo poo

Soviet Canuckistan
Oct 24, 2010
Speaking of page numbers, I don't suppose that ui is ever going to stop using gingerbread-era buttons? The rest of the app is so nice now, except for them.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor
So I am trying to auto load gifs inline, is there any way to do that?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

wargames posted:

I guess you could, well, not disable gifs?
It's under device and navigation in the settings.

Don't complain about battery drain afterwards.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!
I don't know if this is a bug or just a design decision, but whenever my tablet rotates from portrait to landscape, the screen goes all the way back to the front page, and it loses my place in whatever thread I'm reading. Is there a way to stop this without disabling rotations altogether (because I use my tablet upside-down to keep my charging cord and headphones facing upward)?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Mmm, view recreation on orientation change. Everyone's favorite Android toolkit feature.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

wargames posted:

My gifs don't load in line either. Nor do they load in line when I touch them. now it just opens a 'open with' dialogue instead of the load/copy url dialogue.

android 5.0.1 nexus 5.
I just cleared my cache partition today to try improving performance.

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Kommando posted:

My gifs don't load in line either. Nor do they load in line when I touch them. now it just opens a 'open with' dialogue instead of the load/copy url dialogue.

android 5.0.1 nexus 5.
I just cleared my cache partition today to try improving performance.

I'm pretty sure Settings > Posts > Always open links has to be disabled to get Awful's menu to show up when you tap a link or image and it sounds like you have it enabled.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Flagrama posted:

I'm pretty sure Settings > Posts > Always open links has to be disabled to get Awful's menu to show up when you tap a link or image and it sounds like you have it enabled.

I should probably just disable it for images. Possibly for links as well.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
Is swipe up from bottom of page for next page / refresh no longer a feature? It quit working around the same time as the Material update.

Edit: stock Android 4.1.2 and Awful 3.1.3b

Aleph Null fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Dec 29, 2014

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
I think pull-to-next missing is an issue with the library that's being used (and it's a Google library), but pull-to-refresh should still work.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Aleph Null posted:

Is swipe up from bottom of page for next page / refresh no longer a feature? It quit working around the same time as the Material update.

Edit: stock Android 4.1.2 and Awful 3.1.3b

This is gone from the app for now because I'm giving up on implementing pulling-up-to-refresh for various libraries because they don't deem it a use-case. Tapping works basically just as well, in some cases better. I'm just worried about the storm of "How dare you take this essential part of Awful away from me" posts that will follow the release of the beta to "production".

Via pm:

quote:

A certain user is highlighted in orange when they post in threads and I cannot see a way to turn it off why is this?

You've marked the user, there should be an option in the more button menu of the user's posts to unmark.

Beast Pussy
Nov 30, 2006

You are dark inside

I'm running awful on my kindle fire hd, and I've lost the games forums. They were there last night I think, and I still have them on my phone, but they just keep falling to load on my tablet. Did I flip the "fixed" switch to "broke"?

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Sereri posted:

This is gone from the app for now because I'm giving up on implementing pulling-up-to-refresh for various libraries because they don't deem it a use-case. Tapping works basically just as well, in some cases better. I'm just worried about the storm of "How dare you take this essential part of Awful away from me" posts that will follow the release of the beta to "production".

That's fine. I had gotten used to it but it clearly isn't a deal breaker.
I have bad habit of tapping too low and getting the notification pop-up on my tablet.
Pulling up was easier to not screw up.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Beast Pussy posted:

I'm running awful on my kindle fire hd, and I've lost the games forums. They were there last night I think, and I still have them on my phone, but they just keep falling to load on my tablet. Did I flip the "fixed" switch to "broke"?

This was fixed in an update, iirc. Maybe sideload the updated apk or something?

Beast Pussy
Nov 30, 2006

You are dark inside

Thanks. I'll give it a go.

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
How the gently caress do you make a topic in the app

Prize Loser
Nov 28, 2005

It's casual Friday! Pants are optional!

Lord Waffle Beard posted:

How the gently caress do you make a topic in the app

You can't.

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013

Thats gay

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

You're gay so it seems to be working as intended.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Midjack posted:

You're gay so it seems to be working as intended.

Awful.app's leading feature seems to be working great. Thanks guys!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Hadlock posted:

Awful.app's leading feature seems to be working great. Thanks guys!

The serious answer is that the original developer didn't believe that one could make good, well researched and written OPs from a phone. This was a couple of years ago when the environment (especially in GBS) and hardware available to the average user were both much different than what we have today.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

There's like 0 chance I'm even starting on implementing posting threads when people still somehow manage to make posts in wrong threads. I'd rather have Awful.apk be the app that can't make threads than be the apps that autobans people.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
That's...kind of lovely logic.

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"

Sereri posted:

There's like 0 chance I'm even starting on implementing posting threads when people still somehow manage to make posts in wrong threads. I'd rather have Awful.apk be the app that can't make threads than be the apps that autobans people.

I know what you mean.

Geirskogul posted:

That's...kind of lovely logic.

I also know what you mean.

I think the compromise is what SALR offers.. when you submit a reply, it goes off immediately. When you submit a post, it takes you to a second screen and you have to submit it again. Maybe also add a checkbox that says "I'm not an idiot and I mean to post this." type message?

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!
Now I'm remembering that guy who posted his workout log like 6 times in a thread about abortion because of his phone.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Remember that bug Awful had when it posted replies in random threads? That was fun.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

spankmeister posted:

Remember that bug Awful had when it posted replies in random threads? That was fun.

That was the most exciting few weeks of my life. I miss it.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Every so often, the Google+ community for this app will have a little "1" on it, but when I go to the community, there aren't any new posts. Anyone know why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

hooah posted:

Every so often, the Google+ community for this app will have a little "1" on it, but when I go to the community, there aren't any new posts. Anyone know why?
What Facebook calls a "like", Google+ calls a "+1".