Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer

JewKiller 3000 posted:

hey fuckers my cool dad has a basement full of 70s-80s test equipment, mostly hp stuff he repaired himself, plus some newer things. i hardly know what any of it does but i see the posts in this thread all "i could use an XXXXX" and i'm like, oh yeah we got one of those. and no you can't have it.

just making sure you know that your hobby is exactly the same as everything else: dominated by people who are older and richer, and therefore better, than you

yeah ok but post pictures im a sucker for old hp test gear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
man i just flew back home i should have taken some pics. it's like a corner full of buttons, i can't even count how many buttons. and the towers of equipment get taller every year

Tin Gang
Sep 27, 2007

Tin Gang posted:

showering has no effect on germs and is terrible for your skin. there is no good reason to do it

Mido posted:

generate wave forms, push them onto the DAC, pray the DAC characteristics aren't total poo poo

just use filtering caps. filtering caps can fix anything

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i still have this loving busted vacuum tube oscilloscope that i have no hope of restoring. gently caress http://richardsears.wordpress.com/2011/07/01/tektronics-316/

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

JewKiller 3000 posted:

hey fuckers my cool dad has a basement full of 70s-80s test equipment, mostly hp stuff he repaired himself, plus some newer things. i hardly know what any of it does but i see the posts in this thread all "i could use an XXXXX" and i'm like, oh yeah we got one of those. and no you can't have it.

just making sure you know that your hobby is exactly the same as everything else: dominated by people who are older and richer, and therefore better, than you

just lol if your in this hobby without a work or school lab to go into and use hundreds of thousands to millions of dollars of equipment whenever you want

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mido posted:

generate wave forms, push them onto the DAC, pray the DAC characteristics aren't total poo poo

depending on what you need this is more than sufficient

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

doing actual bit janitoring today, recording and decoding i2c transactions :toot:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
that was a pretty lovely post lmfao

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

yeah ok but wheres the surplus megapost?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

hobbesmaster posted:

doing actual bit janitoring today, recording and decoding i2c transactions :toot:

:toot:

Usagi-Sauce
Dec 2, 2005

YAMOxNINJA
~otp~
help me yospos i have a cool as balls tektronix analogue scope from like 1980 i pulled out of a skip a few years back in storage at my dad's place

as far as i know it just needs a new fuse and now i want a cool excuse to haul it across national borders to my new place

my electronics work goes as far as dicking around with an arduino a few times so I don't have the highest hopes for being able to justify this.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

oscilloscopes are hands-down the most useful tool for debugging/testing/diagnosing any circuit

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

eh, I guess logic analyzers are also oscilloscopes

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

can (average) logic analyzers look at things other than square waves at standard logic levels, though?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

the $100 one I'm using has an analog channel, its more expensive cousins have the voltage waveforms available for all channels

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i had a $10,000 Agilent MSO on my desk when I was a grad student and now I have some $300 computer-driven piece of poo poo that doesn't work.

gently caress whoever recommended bitscopes to me and made me look like a god drat money wasting idiot.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

$300? you can buy a real tektronix for $500

Tin Gang
Sep 27, 2007

Tin Gang posted:

showering has no effect on germs and is terrible for your skin. there is no good reason to do it

Usagi-Sauce posted:

help me yospos i have a cool as balls tektronix analogue scope from like 1980 i pulled out of a skip a few years back in storage at my dad's place

as far as i know it just needs a new fuse and now i want a cool excuse to haul it across national borders to my new place

my electronics work goes as far as dicking around with an arduino a few times so I don't have the highest hopes for being able to justify this.

hook it up to a microphone and see what your voice looks like :eyepop:

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
logic analyzers and scopes each have their own distinct uses unless you get the really really expensive ones that have both a) not poo poo analogue capabilities and b) a whole shitload of channels

for a lot of stuff, a <$1000 tektronix and a <$100 saleae are pretty much all you need. logic analyzer for interchip comms and timing analysis so you know when your code is hosed up, scope for waveform analysis so you know when your electronics are hosed up. and then if you want to monitor your power usage in microamps during five different sleep modes, then, then you need big daddy scope (and current clamp)

(am i the only one who gets a little boner at the sight of the words 'current clamp')

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i prefer diff probes and low-ohm resistors because current clamps tend to suck rear end for milli and microamp measurements

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
2015 is the year i stop being a whiny bitch and save my pennies and get a scope and signal gen and a bunch of parts and we build poo poo.

have not forgotten about surplus post i have it drafted, there are a couple awesome shops i cant remember the name of yet tho

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
i have a Tek TLA5204 (136 channel absurdly fast logic analyzer) i got when work threw it out because we needed something beefier

i also have no probes for it and nothing to use it for. i would much rather have a saleae but selling one of these things is impossible

Tin Gang
Sep 27, 2007

Tin Gang posted:

where do you even get probes for something like that?

e: have you considered "donating" it for a tax write off?

Tin Gang fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Dec 31, 2014

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Phobeste posted:

logic analyzers and scopes each have their own distinct uses unless you get the really really expensive ones that have both a) not poo poo analogue capabilities and b) a whole shitload of channels

get one that used to be really expensive

136 channels of love

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Tin Gang posted:

ebay

actually i think it might use the same probe jack as the current ones? idk either way theyre super expensive

Tin Gang posted:

wife asked a tax dude she knows about that a while back, iirc the answer was that it would get us basically nothing. could be wrong tho, i dont know the dude's credentials and i know nothing about tax junk, i just fill in turbotax every year

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Tin Gang posted:

eBay has lots of people selling used test equipment, including Arcsech’s Tek TLA5204 ($10K!), and stuff like probes & pods too

the latter seem to run $25-$100 or so for other logic analyzers, I don't know what the 5204 takes so I can't look up much in the way of details

also lol windows-based test equipment

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I run my test equipment through the world's most advanced operating system.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

eschaton posted:

eBay has lots of people selling used test equipment, including Arcsech’s Tek TLA5204 ($10K!), and stuff like probes & pods too

the latter seem to run $25-$100 or so for other logic analyzers, I don't know what the 5204 takes so I can't look up much in the way of details

i wish i could get $10k for the thing. the last one to sell on ebay was listed as $1200 obo and took an offer. the last one before that was listed at $550 and took an offer (although that one had a flaky power supply)

probes (e: tek p6418) go for $75-$100

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?

Jonny 290 posted:

2015 is the year i stop being a whiny bitch and save my pennies and get a scope and signal gen and a bunch of parts and we build poo poo.

i know, right? except i already have a bunch of parts for unfinished projects and need to sit my rear end down and do them

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i need components, rf connectors and adapters out the rear end, breadboards, a fistful of microcontrollers, antenna supplies, woooo

the year's first project is the 13.560 mhz beacon though. be nice to have a scope for that

e: i should solar power it with a lil battery and find some rancher that'll let me put it up at 11k feet or something goofy

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

yo to all my yosbros,

theres a chinese seller on ebay selling Fluke 17B+ for $13 shipped right now. it's a typo cause he usually sells them for $121.99. I don't know if its a scam but mine is "shipped" without a tracking number. even if he doesnt ship and he doesnt delliver i guess itll be pretty easy to get a refund from ebay/paypal so its pretty risk free to get a p good multimeter

all this meter is missing is true rms, otherwise its a very good, and very safe, multimeter for its usual price range (~$100)
the 17B+ even has backlight as opposed to the 17B

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

im in on this scam, see u in hong kong prison m8

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

can't wait to get my Fruke

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

i hope im not gonna receive a fruke with worms inside

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

my current multi is the sparkfun knock off fluke that they got sued for

if this works out i will have paid less for the real thing, :laffo:

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

welp that was quick, user kicked off ebay

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

maniacdevnull posted:

my current multi is the sparkfun knock off fluke that they got sued for

if this works out i will have paid less for the real thing, :laffo:

they didn't get sued, customs seized them, fluke was contacted and was rather confused as to why customs seized the because they are very obviously not flukes

there is no way that is a real fluke, it's either straight up counterfeit or if from the real factory failed qa or wasn't made with real parts

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?

hobbesmaster posted:

they didn't get sued, customs seized them, fluke was contacted and was rather confused as to why customs seized the because they are very obviously not flukes

there is no way that is a real fluke, it's either straight up counterfeit or if from the real factory failed qa or wasn't made with real parts

apparently fluke trademarked yellow cases or some poo poo?

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Base Emitter posted:

its trade dress: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trade_dress

i think apple used the same thing against samsung but idk for sure. anyway it was a case of customs thinking it violates their trade dress and if fluke had said "naw its cool" they would have lost intellectual property rights over it, which would have resulted in "fruke 117"s in identical looking cases being a-ok

or something, like that idk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Base Emitter posted:

the cases were red though which is what was ridiculous about it

• Locked thread