Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Heavy neutrino posted:

Good advice re: Tactics Ogre
Also, just cheat the crafting. I'm serious, use a cheat to give yourself infinite ingredients, and possibly play your copy on PPSSPP so you have access to fastforward. The crafting is by far the worst experiment in an already rather experimental game, so there's no use trying to struggle with it when it already burns people out.

Other than that, yeah, try out a bunch of classes if you want the game to remain challenging, since the difficulty curve is based around you using lots of them and having to be leveling a couple guys up pretty much every battle.

Also, don't restrain yourself to humans! Lizardmen and fairies and such are pretty awesome and can be recruited with class skills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Dec 31, 2014

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Exhibition C: Colgate white smile

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Also, don't restrain yourself to humans! Lizardmen and fairies and such are pretty awesome and can be recruited with class skills.

Skeletons and Ghosts are also pretty good to have. Later in the game, you also want a Lich/Angel to back you up for additional apocalyptic magiks/support.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That's all I need to get the opening music in my head.

Game is still poo poo though.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

the best rpg is http://store.steampowered.com/app/321940/?snr=1_7_7_204_150_12

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
I'm mad as gently caress about this Primarch battle at the end of FF13 Ch. 9. It's so much harder than anything in the game leading up to it, and I have three separate guides open, and all of them are like "yeah this is a bullshit DPS race to beat the Doom clock and it has like 5 minutes of filter before it so it's a pain in the rear end to retry and GLHF" argh

Tempted to just lower the combat difficulty to easy for this boss fight. Why am I even playing this stupid game

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

abraham linksys posted:

I'm mad as gently caress about this Primarch battle at the end of FF13 Ch. 9. It's so much harder than anything in the game leading up to it, and I have three separate guides open, and all of them are like "yeah this is a bullshit DPS race to beat the Doom clock and it has like 5 minutes of filter before it so it's a pain in the rear end to retry and GLHF" argh

Tempted to just lower the combat difficulty to easy for this boss fight. Why am I even playing this stupid game

No offense but those are some lovely-rear end guides. Bart 2 is vulnerable to Deprotect, Deshell, Slow, and Imperil. With those inflicted on him it is trivial to damage him enough to kill him long before he can begin casting Doom.

Open up with something like COM/SEN/SAB or COM/RAV/SAB until you apply the debuffs. (Vanille is the best choice for debuffer here.) Swap over to COM/RAV/RAV or COM/RAV/SAB. Focus on having RAVs build his Stagger, swapping over to a COM-heavy paradigm only if you really need to. Only swap into your medical paradigm if you need to heal Daze, the other two debuffs are basically a nonissue. Swap into your defense paradigm instantly when he begins to use his Attack-All spell, it's heavily telegraphed.

It is literally possible to win it in around 10 minutes using unleveled characters and default equipment. The guides that are like "just damage race him!!" are being kinda dumb.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jan 1, 2015

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Thanks for the Tactics Ogre tips all. I don't know where I got the idea that the PSP version is hard, I guess. I could have sworn a friend of mine told me that some element of it was hard, if not the overall game. Is there some character that you can only get if one nation likes you, after you've spent the first third of the game slaughtering its soldiers, or something like that? I may be games completely confused as to what he was talking about, otherwise.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

No offense but those are some lovely-rear end guides. Bart 2 is vulnerable to Deprotect, Deshell, Slow, and Imperil. With those inflicted on him it is trivial to damage him enough to kill him long before he can begin casting Doom.

:negative: All of the guides said to use Lightning/Fang/Hope, so I didn't even think of using Vanille and her actually-useful SAB abilities. Will give this a shot.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

MockingQuantum posted:

Thanks for the Tactics Ogre tips all. I don't know where I got the idea that the PSP version is hard, I guess. I could have sworn a friend of mine told me that some element of it was hard, if not the overall game. Is there some character that you can only get if one nation likes you, after you've spent the first third of the game slaughtering its soldiers, or something like that? I may be games completely confused as to what he was talking about, otherwise.

There are many secret characters with ridiculous requirements to recruit them.

It's not worth worrying about, the game is seriously massive. If you get ocd about the hidden stuff you'll miss the (really good!) forest for the trees.

Also thanks to the awesome rewind mechanics you can't miss anything no matter how you play.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

MockingQuantum posted:

Yeah, that's right, but she's optional and there's an easy way to fulfill the requirement by using time travel after beating the game to make certain dialogue choices that raise your reputation with Galgastan.

If you really like using generics, she's pretty important because her class is one of the few character-specific classes that can be used by them.

There isn't much reason to use generics though; unique characters are better in a way that you can do absolutely nothing about -- their "speed" stat is higher.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

abraham linksys posted:

:negative: All of the guides said to use Lightning/Fang/Hope, so I didn't even think of using Vanille and her actually-useful SAB abilities. Will give this a shot.

update: it worked but it still felt like a DPS race (I feel like one or two more rounds of attacks and I would have triggered the Doom counter), mainly because Vanille seemed to be really inaccurate (would hit like 1/5 debuff attempts). Thanks for the advice!

my hand is so sore from pressing X

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

dont loving play ff13 are you retarded

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Why do people complain about FF13's linearity, but not like, FF10's? It's been almost 10 years since I played FF10, but I thought the dungeons there were pretty much a corridor with a branch here and there for treasure too.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
FF10 let you go back to earlier areas, and it had other things to do besides combat. Mind you, I didn't like those "other things" in the slightest, but there was more content attached to the linear backbone.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

13 did too, it was just... all stuck in one area in one chapter of the game. And limited to combat exclusively.

Too bad too, since once they took the drat training wheels off, it was pretty entertaining.

13-2 was horrid garbage that ruined the one good thing about 13, I'm still internet-angry at people who told me 'no no, it's a much better game in every way!'

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

GrandpaPants posted:

Why do people complain about FF13's linearity, but not like, FF10's? It's been almost 10 years since I played FF10, but I thought the dungeons there were pretty much a corridor with a branch here and there for treasure too.

Play FFX again in the near future, because FF13 is barren and completely transparent in being a railroad experience. Not only that, you have basically 10 chapters of complete isolation outside of cutscenes, while 10 has you actually interacting and affecting people, getting involved in each area, and generally something major happens other than being scenery.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

victrix posted:

And limited to combat exclusively.

Exactly what I said! I personally think the combat in 13-2 was fairly fun too, but I wish the story didn't exist.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

plus at least ffx has blitzball

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

plus at least ffx has blitzball

There are a whole lot of people who'd consider that one a negative.

Tae posted:

Play FFX again in the near future, because FF13 is barren and completely transparent in being a railroad experience. Not only that, you have basically 10 chapters of complete isolation outside of cutscenes, while 10 has you actually interacting and affecting people, getting involved in each area, and generally something major happens other than being scenery.

You can't really interact with people outside of cutscenes in FFX outside of the usual RPG "talk to them and they say a canned line" or whatever. There isn't even much in the way of sidequests that aren't lovely minigames and while you can backtrack it's pretty meaningless to. I get that the illusion is important to people but yeah, if the illusion isn't important to you there isn't really any serious difference in their structure.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Tae posted:

I did and 10 is more linear. If you want real interaction and poo poo go play FF9.

Kild fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jan 1, 2015

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

FF13 is more linear are you kidding me, you just hold up like its sonic the hedgehog, the game even handles all the Project A-ko-esque jumping for you

"oh look a ladder" *JUMPS 30 FEET ABOVE THE LADDER*

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I'm enjoying FF13 so far :shobon: though I'm only up to chapter... 6 ish. But then I've never been much for exploring or complicated mechanics, and frankly would rather just be told a story and have fights in RPGs nowadays, so hey yo.

Speaking of being told a story, I've mostly finished reading/watching all the LPs Sylphid did for the Atelier series of games, and I'm wondering if anything similar/more modern has come out (even a new Atelier?) that I could have a gander at on PC or PS4. More character-story oriented games, like. Only thing I can think of off hand is Trails in the Sky, but the sluggish combat drove me away from that one before I even got a third party member :(

can't stop listening to the ayesha OST send help

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Even if you're there for the story FF13 will find ways to disappoint. As some point you will see they're making it up as they go.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

abraham linksys posted:

I feel like one or two more rounds of attacks and I would have triggered the Doom counter

It's not based on number of actions or anything like that; aside from the Eidolon stuff, Doom only happens if you take a stupid-long time. Like 20 minutes long.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

Speaking of being told a story, I've mostly finished reading/watching all the LPs Sylphid did for the Atelier series of games, and I'm wondering if anything similar/more modern has come out (even a new Atelier?) that I could have a gander at on PC or PS4. More character-story oriented games, like. Only thing I can think of off hand is Trails in the Sky, but the sluggish combat drove me away from that one before I even got a third party member :(

can't stop listening to the ayesha OST send help

Atelier Shallie is coming out in March.

Gust games have great soundtracks. I don't like every game I've played from them, but I always enjoyed the music.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

What are some RPGs with good puzzle dungeons (a feature that makes dungeons in these games so vastly superior to typical RPGs that I have always found it mind boggling that they haven't become a staple of the genre; just having the dungeon be a maze + random battles is boring as all heck)?

E.g.
Lufia 2
Wild Arms games
Golden Sun games
Alundra games

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
I don't know if you mean jRPG's or console RPG's only, but the Legend of Grimrock series is basically half first person dungeon crawling rpg, half puzzle/adventure game. It's basically just a series of well-designed puzzles and mysteries with fights in between.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Grimrock in turn takes after the Eye of the Beholder and the Dungeon Master games.

On the consoles Breath of Fire 2 had characters with special non-combat skills you had to use in dungeons and on the world map.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Mill Village posted:

Atelier Shallie is coming out in March.

Looks like that one's PS3, sadly, unless Google's failed me. :(

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

That one is only for PS3. :(

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Shakugan posted:

What are some RPGs with good puzzle dungeons (a feature that makes dungeons in these games so vastly superior to typical RPGs that I have always found it mind boggling that they haven't become a staple of the genre; just having the dungeon be a maze + random battles is boring as all heck)?

E.g.
Lufia 2
Wild Arms games
Golden Sun games
Alundra games

Shadow Hearts 2 has some well-designed puzzle dungeons which are somewhat like a point-and-click adventure game, like Manmariana Island, the Doll House, and the Sapientes Gladio secret base. Then it has some really neat spatial reasoning puzzles like Neam Ruins, the Dog Shrine, and Azusa Stone Platform. Really aside from a few clunkers, like the Idar Flamme, the game is a perfect examle of how to make good JRPG dungeons. There's a game-long quest that's a logic puzzle of sorts, too, where you get demon crests and place them on a map with vague clues about what goes where. Not sure about how the other SH games are at dungeon design, but since 2 is so drat good I'll assume they're also well-done.

Xenosaga 3 had a really cool optional puzzle dungeon to get a character's swimsuit, and some minor puzzly stuff in the rest of the game. That game also has HaKox, which owns hard.

Some Atlus dungeons? The moon phase puzzle in the Obelisk in SMT: Nocturne is a neat one, and Etrian Odyssey games can get puzzly about how to get by FOEs.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

I just got to Gran Pulse, which I've heard is where the real Dark Souls Final Fantasy 13 starts, and I've been enjoying it so far. Been playing it pretty slow, though, mostly only 1-2 hours at a time, which keeps the combat from getting too stale.

I don't really play many RPGs, and I kinda like how relatively simple this one is? Not the linearness - that part I'm starting to grow tired of - but I like that the strategy is all within the combat, rather than having a complex metagame and such (which always just annoys me/leads me to find a guide).

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,18590.0.html

romancing saga translation patch

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Quest For Glory II posted:

FF13 is more linear are you kidding me, you just hold up like its sonic the hedgehog, the game even handles all the Project A-ko-esque jumping for you

"oh look a ladder" *JUMPS 30 FEET ABOVE THE LADDER*

FFX does the same thing lmao. When's the last time you played 10?

http://a.pomf.se/bggicq.webm

http://a.pomf.se/zsnubc.webm

*Chocobo auto jumps, opens chest, keeps jumping* *you hold up down a narrow hallway and go to next screen*

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

a long time ago because I don't re-play Final Fantasy games

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Shakugan posted:

Ugh, no thank you. It's incredibly, incredibly rare to run across a good puzzle in an RPG dungeon. Besides them almost infallibly being tedious instead of challenging, typically, they're some variation of one of the following shitfests:

- Run across the entire dungeon repeatedly to flip switches that open areas so that you can then press other switches in those areas on the opposite side of the dungeon, while you run into random battles constantly. (ughhhhh)
- Sewer switch puzzles that raise and lower water. (ughhhhhhhhh)
- Sliding block/column puzzles to push them on top of switches and through holes so they fall on top of switches. (ughhhhhhhhhhhhhh)
- Sliding your character across ice with walls on it so you have to find the right path. (ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh)

If I wanted to play a puzzle game, I'd be playing a puzzle game. Puzzle dungeons in RPGs should be banned. Same with mazes for the sake of having mazes. (I know, let's have this castle have a maze layout even though it makes ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE for a castle to be a maze!)

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Puzzle dungeons would be fine if they weren't made more tedious by encounters (especially random encounters). Puzzle dungeon + random encounter is the worst combo in JRPGs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

None of the puzzles I mentioned are like that. You really should give SH2 a try. It does have a pretty high encounter rate, I'd say that's one of the game's main flaws along with ludicrously low difficulty, but the dungeon design is super cool.