Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dravinski
May 5, 2013

I played a game on the PSX and I can't remember the name at all. You played as this guy with a bamboo stick and you had to defeat someone called the nightmare king(?). It was a top down game and your health looked like peaches. Does anyone have any idea of what this game might be called?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Googling "Nightmare King video game villain" pulls this up, which looks to be what you're looking for:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monkey_Hero

Dravinski
May 5, 2013

Wow. I'm clearly very bad at using search engines since I just searched everything I'd described here and it came up every time. Yeah, this was the game I was looking for. Thanks!

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I vaguely recall some action game that was talked about in the last few months where the main character was transgendered or something but due to a poorly worded article title MRAs thought it was anti-feminist. No idea if the game was good or not, but anyone know what I mean? :v:

also I just noticed there was 2 threads like this

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The only one that maybe comes to mind is Nier, but that wasn't the main character. Is it a game that hasn't come out yet?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Anatharon posted:

I vaguely recall some action game that was talked about in the last few months where the main character was transgendered or something but due to a poorly worded article title MRAs thought it was anti-feminist. No idea if the game was good or not, but anyone know what I mean? :v:

also I just noticed there was 2 threads like this

Dunno about the MRA part, but was it 2D? If so it could be Aerannis.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

So I know the name of the game, that's not the issue, I just can't find any trace of it on the internet that it ever existed. It was called Cyclone (or maybe some spelling variant of that?) and was a colored-block puzzle game and I just can't find any sign of it anywhere. :(

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Long shot, but 0-D Beat Drop is a colored block puzzle game developed by a company named Cyclone Zero

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
It was an animu turn based tactica game that was either for the DS or the PSP and the main character had a golden ring that would turn into a scythe.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

SweetBro posted:

It was an animu turn based tactica game that was either for the DS or the PSP and the main character had a golden ring that would turn into a scythe.

One of the Growlanser games maybe?

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009
So I've been trying to figure out what this game is for a good bit of time. I've never actually played it but I remember reading the box and looking at a bunch of screen shots and stuff.

It was a rts game released around the same time as system shock 2. You trained your units by putting them through several structures. So train a basic archer, then send it to another building to get like a more advanced archer of some sort. I want to say there were several factions maybe? With almost a bit of eastern influence. It's been so long that's the best I can remember.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Moochewmoo posted:

So I've been trying to figure out what this game is for a good bit of time. I've never actually played it but I remember reading the box and looking at a bunch of screen shots and stuff.

It was a rts game released around the same time as system shock 2. You trained your units by putting them through several structures. So train a basic archer, then send it to another building to get like a more advanced archer of some sort. I want to say there were several factions maybe? With almost a bit of eastern influence. It's been so long that's the best I can remember.

Is it this? http://www.gog.com/game/battle_realms_winter_of_the_wolf

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009

That's it precisely thank you so much.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
the game "always sometimes monsters," available on the steam platform, uses character sprites that i believe are a free & open resource. the authors of this not-free-game seem to be huge shitlords using sprites made by someone else and selling them, essentially, but that is not really relevant i think.

the sprites for the characters look like the exact same as used in , many years ago, a free procedurally-generated action rpg zombie survival video game. what is the game. features of the game: you could kill zombies. there were human npcs around surviving, which would be hostile or neutral (shop owners). you could rob shops wearing a ski mask and you could tie people to chairs with a rope and battery and zap them to make them give you free stuff. it was good and fun. what is the game.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
shop people gave quests. what game.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I don't know what the game is but open source means just that. Unless the sprite's creator had a non-commercial license then anyone can do whatever they want with them.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
i know hw==hat open source means

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
it's an "art" game theyre selling for $10 you'd think they would do some of the more literal art , themselves

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

I thought it just used the default assets from RPG Maker version whichever. It's minimal effort possible to make a game, basically.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

None of those are default assets and nothing I can find reveals they're anything but original graphics. At most they're based on a template which is common in the RPG maker community, not like it matters at all. It's not like $60 video games don't use free sound or texture libraries, there's a reason that stuff is created.

As for procedural 2D zombie games the only one as detailed and robust as that description is Survival Crisis Z.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Okay, this is going to be a tough one as I can't remember much. I spent a while looking at a database of baseball video games and Googling gameplay videos, with no luck.

The game I am thinking of is a baseball game, late 90s to early 2000s I want to say, and I believe that it was on the original Playstation. The problem is that I can't remember the gameplay very well, but I remember that pitchers were rated in an odd way. What would happen is that there were various bars, broken into little segments, and to show how much break/how effective a certain pitch was, the more shiny, filled segments the better. For example, on the stat screen for a curveball, which breaks down and away from a right-handed pitcher, you would have a bar going down and to the right with a certain number of segments full depending on how much break the pitcher had. I also want to say that other player attributes were rated on a letter grade (A, B, C etc) system, and for pitchers it would tell you how fast his fastball was (93 mph, for example).

It's a similar ranking/rating system to the Power Pro games on Wii/DS from 2007/2008, but it's not one of those games. I have a couple of those and that's what jogged my memory. I know that I don't have much to go on, but perhaps someone remembers.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

al-azad posted:

None of those are default assets and nothing I can find reveals they're anything but original graphics. At most they're based on a template which is common in the RPG maker community, not like it matters at all. It's not like $60 video games don't use free sound or texture libraries, there's a reason that stuff is created.

As for procedural 2D zombie games the only one as detailed and robust as that description is Survival Crisis Z.

I can't remember what it was but years ago I saw a movie and realized that the Brood Wars Terran structure liftoff sound was the same as the Doom door sound.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Anatharon posted:

I can't remember what it was but years ago I saw a movie and realized that the Brood Wars Terran structure liftoff sound was the same as the Doom door sound.

The Doom imp death is also a stock camel sound.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:

al-azad posted:

The Doom imp death is also a stock camel sound.

Pretty much every doom sound is a mundane stock sound. Mostly animals for the monsters.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

Finding this video in the griefing thread left me curious what game these people were actually playing. The only clues I can think of are that it's a PC game (obviously) that somehow involves repair trucks. I have no idea what games involve repair trucks other than Command and Conquer? But there's no way people in 2007, when this was presumably filmed, were playing Command and Conquer this intensely, and with 4 or more players to a side, so I'm curious if the answer jumps out at anyone. Also it's a funny video worth watching, so

Edit: There's also mention of a "platoon of infantry" and an "Armour channel" (presumably in Ventrilo), so it sounds like a WWII game, but I can't think of any that have repair trucks or units grouped into platoons. Oh and there's a zoom in button.

Cognac McCarthy fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Dec 31, 2014

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Quick glance through the comments seems to imply it's the first ARMA.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Anatharon posted:

Blizzard uses stock Hollywood sound effects. (Or used to anyways) You hear them all over the place.

The academy firebat scream noise is one of the famous screams, not the Wilhelm but a different one. It pops up often, I remember it was in the AAAAH Real Monsters cartoon opening.
The sound the pig farm in warcraft 2 makes when you click on it (pig squealing) is the most popular pig sample in film, you hear it every single time there's a pig on-screen in anything Hollywood.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

Zaphod42 posted:

Blizzard uses stock Hollywood sound effects. (Or used to anyways) You hear them all over the place.

The academy firebat scream noise is one of the famous screams, not the Wilhelm but a different one. It pops up often, I remember it was in the AAAAH Real Monsters cartoon opening.
The sound the pig farm in warcraft 2 makes when you click on it (pig squealing) is the most popular pig sample in film, you hear it every single time there's a pig on-screen in anything Hollywood.

Somewhat unrelated but along the same lines, Dark Souls 1 uses some stock sounds for its cat monsters that were also used in Duke 3D.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Doesn't Alvina sample Don Piano?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Doom and Metal Slug have the same rocket explosion. Movies and games do this all the time throughout their entire existence, yet when STALKER first came out people thought it "plagiarized" sound effects and explosion/fire assets out of nowhere. Really weird when this si so common and done by licensing sound libraries, stock sounds, etc.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Dec 31, 2014

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
A really fun one is that some convenience store... 7-11 maybe? Licensed the same sound stock that Sega used for the Sonic ring collection sound, as their cashier ring-up noise. Always throws me off.

Hakkesshu posted:

Doesn't Alvina sample Don Piano?

I really hope this is true but somehow doubt it.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Zaphod42 posted:

A really fun one is that some convenience store... 7-11 maybe? Licensed the same sound stock that Sega used for the Sonic ring collection sound, as their cashier ring-up noise. Always throws me off.

Yeah it is 7-11. I did a double take the first time I heard it. I almost asked the cashier about it but I'm sure they didn't care about some dumb game reference and just wanted me out of there.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable

Wamdoodle posted:

Yeah it is 7-11. I did a double take the first time I heard it. I almost asked the cashier about it but I'm sure they didn't care about some dumb game reference and just wanted me out of there.

Same exact thing at the gas station I occasionally use.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
There was some game on pc that recently was released. It might be early access. But it was a multiplayer game where one player was the monster and the others had to survive or something by hiding. Im thinking it came out either in 2013 or 2014.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

Hakkesshu posted:

Quick glance through the comments seems to imply it's the first ARMA.

You're right, thank you! The comments weren't loading on mobile for me earlier but I didn't think to check when I got home.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

al-azad posted:

it was survival crisis z

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

blackguy32 posted:

There was some game on pc that recently was released. It might be early access. But it was a multiplayer game where one player was the monster and the others had to survive or something by hiding. Im thinking it came out either in 2013 or 2014.

Can you tell us anything about the monster?

That could be anything from The Hidden: Source to Evolve.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

Can you tell us anything about the monster?

That could be anything from The Hidden: Source to Evolve.

Its not evolve or The Hidden. I don't think the survivors could fight back.

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011
Damned maybe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

This was it.