Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yes, please, by all means put this all on the PA when you absolutely control this situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The Israeli media is hustling and bustling with reports about possible criminal charges against Givati Brigade officers for the application of the Hannibal Directive during protective edge, the family of Captain Hadar Goldin is apparently not too pleased with their son being sacrificed on the battlefield (alongside 70 or so Palestinian civilians but naturally nobody mentions them).

If this gains traction there's a distinct possibility that Colonel Ofer "May YHWH smite our enemies on the battlefield" Winter will get the short end of the stick as apparently he personally approved the use of the directive.

Edit: YNET posted a recording of the comm lines during the massacre of Shujaiya, it's mostly just IDF soldiers panicking out of their minds one particularly damning snippet I thought was noteworthy "Get the tanks into this loving (refugee) camp and lift it up into the sky". Hell of a pinpoint operation.

emanresu tnuocca fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Dec 31, 2014

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Oh my, it seems Abbas is going ahead with signing the Rome Statute.

A last desperate attempt to save PA, or one last blaze of glory before death? I know the UN vote failed, but is joining the ICC really the best step at the moment? It's just that the PA seems lioke the only real authority or protection the Palestinians have, and if that goes... what's left?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

resurgam40 posted:

A last desperate attempt to save PA, or one last blaze of glory before death? I know the UN vote failed, but is joining the ICC really the best step at the moment? It's just that the PA seems lioke the only real authority or protection the Palestinians have, and if that goes... what's left?

"Goes"? Why is this indicative of them going anywhere? I don't think they have any leverage going on if they don't join the ICC, it was either this or find refuge in a sympathetic country from the mob.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Hamas is equally likely as Israel to be investigated here.

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011

Xandu posted:

Hamas is equally likely as Israel to be investigated here.

Win-win for Fatah.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Absurd Alhazred posted:

"Goes"? Why is this indicative of them going anywhere? I don't think they have any leverage going on if they don't join the ICC, it was either this or find refuge in a sympathetic country from the mob.

The threat of joining the ICC was leverage.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Volkerball posted:

Sometimes you have to follow up on your threat if you want them to be credible.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Volkerball posted:

Threats ain't worth squat if you're not willing to use them. Well, this was used, and now any future Israeli violation is under jurisdiction. :getin:

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Cat Mattress posted:

Sometimes you have to follow up on your threat if you want them to be credible.

That was the biggest, and really only threat they had left after forming the unity government. It was the biggest chip in the previous negotiations. Now it's gone, and gone in a way that says "gently caress you, Israel." I certainly think the PA is justified in going this route, but the fact remains that the slim odds of a deal happening sometime in the next several years dropped quite a bit today.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Dec 31, 2014

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
It is kind of crazy reading reports on this categorising seeking international judicial oversight over only the most serious of crimes a nation can commit against another as some kind of exceptionally unreasonable thing to do to Israel. It isn't like Israel will even be extraditing any of their citizens to The Hague even if they are found to have committed atrocities.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Volkerball posted:

That was the biggest, and really only threat they had left after forming the unity government. It was the biggest chip in the previous negotiations. Now it's gone, and gone in a way that says "gently caress you, Israel." I certainly think the PA is justified in going this route, but the fact remains that the slim odds of a deal happening sometime in the next several years dropped quite a bit today.

Israel deserved the "gently caress you". And they do have the security cooperation and the fact that they are managing regions A and B whenever the IDF isn't in the mood to break in there. They can just not help or actively fight the IDF, and good luck managing all that alone again, as in pre-Oslo.

ReV VAdAUL posted:

It is kind of crazy reading reports on this categorising seeking international judicial oversight over only the most serious of crimes a nation can commit against another as some kind of exceptionally unreasonable thing to do to Israel. It isn't like Israel will even be extraditing any of their citizens to The Hague even if they are found to have committed atrocities.

They can say goodbye to vacationing in Europe, or anywhere else that would extradite them, though. Or doing business there.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Israel deserved the "gently caress you". And they do have the security cooperation and the fact that they are managing regions A and B whenever the IDF isn't in the mood to break in there. They can just not help or actively fight the IDF, and good luck managing all that alone again, as in pre-Oslo.

Israel certainly deserves a gently caress you, but lets look at it from a strategic standpoint. There's two routes the PA could choose to take. The first is to push towards a deal with Israel by maximizing their leverage, eventually making something happen with Israel's blessing. The second is to say gently caress you to Israel, and try and appeal to the world to gain international support to force Israel to the table. While clearly, neither of these two options seems very likely, they've poisoned the well for the first option even more than it already was. So now they are basically limited to the second, and I don't know how much progress we're going to see on the "world condemning Israel" front any time soon. We'll have to see how Palestine joining the ICC works in practice. It might add significant pressure, but I'm not very hopeful.

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

resurgam40 posted:

Im sorry for my dumb question but will such a move as ICC jurisdiction remain in effect if the Palestinian Authority ceases to be a distinct entity itself?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Volkerball posted:

Israel certainly deserves a gently caress you, but lets look at it from a strategic standpoint. There's two routes the PA could choose to take. The first is to push towards a deal with Israel by maximizing their leverage, eventually making something happen with Israel's blessing. The second is to say gently caress you to Israel, and try and appeal to the world to gain international support to force Israel to the table. While clearly, neither of these two options seems very likely, they've poisoned the well for the first option even more than it already was. So now they are basically limited to the second, and I don't know how much progress we're going to see on the "world condemning Israel" front any time soon. We'll have to see how Palestine joining the ICC works in practice. It might add significant pressure, but I'm not very hopeful.

But it wasn't working. Hadn't been working for years. Israel was alternately scoffing at and completely sabotaging the potential of that thread through the US. At no point did the US even use this as an argument to pressure Israel. They had to make good on that threat to retain any credibility. Israel has basically shut down the negotiations, and I see no reason to pretend that the Palestinians have had a significant role in making that happen.

Now that the ICC is involved, much like with European sanctions targeting the settlements, holding the West Bank becomes even pricier. Every day in every way, Israeli colonialist policies are exposing it to ICC scrutiny now. It's also making American support costlier. To little, too late, perhaps, but I think they made the right call; only fuckup was not to do this before Protective Edge, since that would have put the whole operation under scrutiny.

ETA:

tentative8e8op posted:

Im sorry for my dumb question but will such a move as ICC jurisdiction remain in effect if the Palestinian Authority ceases to be a distinct entity itself?

That's also a good point. Abbas needs a lifeline, otherwise he has no real excuse not to dissolve the PA yesterday. This is basically his only argument left for why this is in any way good for the Palestinians to have right now.

Absurd Alhazred fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Dec 31, 2014

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Absurd Alhazred posted:

But it wasn't working. Hadn't been working for years. Israel was alternately scoffing at and completely sabotaging the potential of that thread through the US. At no point did the US even use this as an argument to pressure Israel. They had to make good on that threat to retain any credibility. Israel has basically shut down the negotiations, and I see no reason to pretend that the Palestinians have had a significant role in making that happen.

Now that the ICC is involved, much like with European sanctions targeting the settlements, holding the West Bank becomes even pricier. Every day in every way, Israeli colonialist policies are exposing it to ICC scrutiny now. It's also making American support costlier. To little, too late, perhaps, but I think they made the right call; only fuckup was not to do this before Protective Edge, since that would have put the whole operation under scrutiny.

Yes it hasn't been working, but it's also getting more difficult for Israel as the years go on. We're still not close to a deal, but there's been a lot of promising developments recently. There's a sort of wall of defiance in Israel that is an obstacle towards achieving peace, and this adds another brick to it. So now they must be brought down kicking and screaming, which is a tall order. To be clear, I'm not sold that they shouldn't have gone through with this, but I'm skeptical it was in the best interest of Palestinians in the long term. I can't find it now because of this news swallowing up all the old search results, but Netanyahu definitely was afraid of the Palestinians joining the ICC and pressing war crime prosecutions against Israeli leaders. And as far as the timing, I suppose now is as good as ever, in the immediate aftermath of the UN vote.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Also, let me be the first to inform you all that the ICC is now anti-semitic, joining fellow anti-semites the UN, every European government, and facts.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Volkerball posted:

Also, let me be the first to inform you all that the ICC is now anti-semitic, joining fellow anti-semites the UN, every European government, and facts.

That cards gotta have a shelf life.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Edit: YNET posted a recording of the comm lines during the massacre of Shujaiya, it's mostly just IDF soldiers panicking out of their minds one particularly damning snippet I thought was noteworthy "Get the tanks into this loving (refugee) camp and lift it up into the sky". Hell of a pinpoint operation.
Have you considered actually posting a link there? Because google and the front page of YNET are at a loss.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Xander77 posted:

Have you considered actually posting a link there? Because google and the front page of YNET are at a loss.

http://www.ynet.co.il/articles/0,7340,L-4609468,00.html

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Volkerball posted:

Yes it hasn't been working, but it's also getting more difficult for Israel as the years go on. We're still not close to a deal, but there's been a lot of promising developments recently. There's a sort of wall of defiance in Israel that is an obstacle towards achieving peace, and this adds another brick to it. So now they must be brought down kicking and screaming, which is a tall order. To be clear, I'm not sold that they shouldn't have gone through with this, but I'm skeptical it was in the best interest of Palestinians in the long term. I can't find it now because of this news swallowing up all the old search results, but Netanyahu definitely was afraid of the Palestinians joining the ICC and pressing war crime prosecutions against Israeli leaders. And as far as the timing, I suppose now is as good as ever, in the immediate aftermath of the UN vote.

The negotiations have been a huge joke for eyars. During the Bush years, the Palestinian negotiators offerred to accept all of Israel's conditions in order to get peace, and Israel refused. So keeping this as leverage is useless, because it won't work and didn't work.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Volkerball posted:

Don't you know that everyone involved in international law is a secret anti-semite?

The way the Israeli government attacked Schabas after he was appointed to lead the current UN inquiry was absolutely farcical, not only is he one of the single most respected living IHR scholars (who literally wrote the book on genocide) he's regarded as being rather conservative and cautious in his interpretations. Hell, he's president of an organization that gets criticized for being too timid in criticizing Israel. Comparing him to ISIS made it clear that no one can ever met Israel's standards when it comes to investigating rights violations.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

MonsieurChoc posted:

The negotiations have been a huge joke for eyars. During the Bush years, the Palestinian negotiators offerred to accept all of Israel's conditions in order to get peace, and Israel refused. So keeping this as leverage is useless, because it won't work and didn't work.

The notion that there's anything to negotiate over is a joke in itself, honestly the whole thing is just a huge piece of misdirection and I'm always taken aback when people actually take them seriously. Abbas should have went to the ICC years ago, the fact that it only happened now is indicative of much of a collaborationist puppet regime the PA is.

What is the PA bringing to the negotiations table anyway? "Peace"?

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

Volkerball posted:

Yes it hasn't been working, but it's also getting more difficult for Israel as the years go on. We're still not close to a deal, but there's been a lot of promising developments recently.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't all of the positive developments been external to Israel?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

emanresu tnuocca posted:

The notion that there's anything to negotiate over is a joke in itself, honestly the whole thing is just a huge piece of misdirection and I'm always taken aback when people actually take them seriously. Abbas should have went to the ICC years ago, the fact that it only happened now is indicative of much of a collaborationist puppet regime the PA is.

The PA is a proto-state institution that could become one as soon as Israeli forces leave. As for how it benefits Israel, they are currently an essential source of stability in the West Bank occupation, if they just mic-drop and leave, it's going to be back to pre-Oslo. The right may think they want this, but they don't remember, and with how things have changed since then, it's going to be a lot more reminiscent of Algeria than it was.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Volkerball posted:

the ICC: brings charges against Kenyatta for ethnic cleansing, before dropping them.

I'm sure joining the ICC will do much to boost Palestinian credibility, and won't result in Hamas members in Turkey being brought up on charges.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

The PA is a proto-state institution that could become one as soon as Israeli forces leave. As for how it benefits Israel, they are currently an essential source of stability in the West Bank occupation, if they just mic-drop and leave, it's going to be back to pre-Oslo. The right may think they want this, but they don't remember, and with how things have changed since then, it's going to be a lot more reminiscent of Algeria than it was.

America formed multi-party state institutions under a prolonged period of English occupation. Oslo is dead, killed by Hamas, Erdogan, and Iran. Unless Palestinians accept a two-state solution, Israel will be forced to implement a one-state solution.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Energy and resource rights, monopolies, and future revenue potential. Due to Erdogan, Israel's opportunities for gas export are a bit limited. Hopefully, African industrialization will provide novel solutions to future export market access.

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jan 1, 2015

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

My Imaginary GF posted:

the ICC: brings charges against Kenyatta for ethnic cleansing, before dropping them.

The case against Kenyatta collapsed due to pretty transparent witness intimidation and a lack of cooperation from the Kenyan government who failed to turn over documents requested by the prosecutor on multiple occasions. With the withdrawal of the original witnesses and no new evidence available the case had to be dropped.

Do you think the prosecutors decision to suspend the Darfur investigation days later was a coincidence? The prosecutor has made it pretty clear that the international communities failure to support the ICC in Sudan and Kenya has hampered their investigations.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

My Imaginary GF posted:

I'm sure joining the ICC will do much to boost Palestinian credibility, and won't result in Hamas members in Turkey being brought up on charges.

Prosecuting criminals of any stripe will result in increased credibility for everyone. It's a two way street.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

kustomkarkommando posted:

The case against Kenyatta collapsed due to pretty transparent witness intimidation and a lack of cooperation from the Kenyan government who failed to turn over documents requested by the prosecutor on multiple occasions. With the withdrawal of the original witnesses and no new evidence available the case had to be dropped.

Do you think the prosecutors decision to suspend the Darfur investigation days later was a coincidence? The prosecutor has made it pretty clear that the international communities failure to support the ICC in Sudan and Kenya has hampered their investigations.

Do you expect Israeli or Palestinian co-operation on ICC investigations, or for the agency to be used as a political tool? That's why USG has been opposed to Palestinian membership: Palestinians at the ICC threatens the credibility of the institution itself, and guarantes its use as an active political bargaining chip. Israel, America, Australia, and our other allies won't press ICC charges against Palestinians in European and semi-European nations, in exchange for Palestinian non-membership. Now that they're becoming members, pre-emptive prosecutions must be launched against Palestinian targets.

syscall girl posted:

Prosecuting criminals of any stripe will result in increased credibility for everyone. It's a two way street.

Tell that to the Kenyan populations who had hoped for ICC enforcement of the Kenyatta indictment. I'm sure Palestinians won't be inflamed with further anti-semetic rhetoric like "Israel made ICC drop charges" and violence will not result from Palestinian membership at ICC :allears:

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
:siren:the UN and all related bodies are toothless and ineffectual:siren:

News at 11!

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

My Imaginary GF posted:

Do you expect Israeli or Palestinian co-operation on ICC investigations, or for the agency to be used as a political tool? That's why USG has been opposed to Palestinian membership: Palestinians at the ICC threatens the credibility of the institution itself, and guarantes its use as an active political bargaining chip. Israel, America, Australia, and our other allies won't press ICC charges against Palestinians in European and semi-European nations, in exchange for Palestinian non-membership. Now that they're becoming members, pre-emptive prosecutions must be launched against Palestinian targets.

Tell that to the Kenyan populations who had hoped for ICC enforcement of the Kenyatta indictment. I'm sure Palestinians won't be inflamed with further anti-semetic rhetoric like "Israel made ICC drop charges" and violence will not result from Palestinian membership at ICC :allears:

It'd be a real trick for Israel to press charges against Palestine in the ICC, given that neither Israel nor the US are members of the ICC. Israel refused to ratify the ICC treaty for fear of being forced to cooperate with any possible future investigation into their actions in Palestine. This also makes it difficult for them to influence ICC proceedings.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Main Paineframe posted:

It'd be a real trick for Israel to press charges against Palestine in the ICC, given that neither Israel nor the US are members of the ICC. Israel refused to ratify the ICC treaty for fear of being forced to cooperate with any possible future investigation into their actions in Palestine. This also makes it difficult for them to influence ICC proceedings.

You know, Guatemala, we'd really like to assist you with developing your offshore energy capacity. You see, we have some experience with Eastern Mediteranian energy development in partnership with USG interests. Would be an awful shame if our deal fell through because of terrorist attacks financed and operational from Turkey. Wouldn't it be nice if those terrorists were brought up in a complaint at ICC? Please, feel free to discuss this with US Embassy Economic and Political Officers.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Absurd Alhazred posted:

That only supports my point that the PA mostly benefits Israeli interests, it is not an institution oriented towards ending the occupation and changing the status quo, it might be a fantastic orginization to pick up the pieces once the occupation ends but at the moment it doesn't serve Palestinian interests.

I didn't question its benefits to Israel, quite the opposite. The simple fact is that after two decades of the PA being the main Palestinian player diplomatically the struggle against the occupation has completely stagnated.

Main Paineframe posted:

Technically Israel doesn't have to press charges, once Abbas files an investigation request with the ICC they'd have the jurisdiction to review possible infractions by all involved parties, this will certainly extend to Hamas and would possibly reflect somewhat upon the PA due to the unity government, I don't think Abbas overly concerned with that though, nor should he be, he's trying to win back some sovereignty if some Hamas members wind up with international arrest warrants in the process it won't really be a tragedy from his perspective.

emanresu tnuocca fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Jan 1, 2015

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

emanresu tnuocca posted:

That only supports my point that the PA mostly benefits Israeli interests, it is not an institution oriented towards ending the occupation and changing the status quo, it might be a fantastic orginization to pick up the pieces once the occupation ends but at the moment it doesn't serve Palestinian interests.
That's what they were bringing to the negotiation table, though. That's how Rabin sold them to the public to begin with.

quote:

I didn't question its benefits to Israel, quite the opposite. The simply fact is that after two decades of the PA being the main Palestinian player diplomatically the struggle against the occupation has completely stagnated.
Well, how well was it going beforehand? I can't really think of any amazing developments that were going to happen if they just didn't work with the Israelis. The Intifada had stagnated, and popular Palestinian support for Saddam wasn't helping them internationally. At least now there's a proto-State to, as you said, pick up the pieces. That's not nothing. It's not enough, but it's not nothing.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The coronation of Arafat by Israel was a means to stagnate the intifada, his popularity among the palestinian citizenry was hitting an all time low prior to the negotiations with Rabin which were for all intents and purposes a lifeline extended to the PLO, at the end of the day if everything the PA is bringing to the table a promise to create a stable and 'not-anti-Israel' regime then they're truly not bringing much, for that purpose they're also not really bringing anything permanent, who's to say that in 10 years the Palestinian state would still be led by PA sympathizers etc. It's a farce.

I had a whimsical thought yesterday as I was going to bed, as an extension of the 'what is there to negotiate' notion, it would be a grand move by Abbas to publicly call for Israel to list its pre-requisites for a peace treaty, to clearly state what it requires from Palestinians so that it could end the occupation, pushing this point would really be the best way to unmask Israel and prove to anyone who still doubts that the occupation is intended to be permanent.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Who's to say there will be a Palestinian state in 10 years? If the PLO collapses, its entirely possible that no state will rise to take its place.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I had a whimsical thought yesterday as I was going to bed, as an extension of the 'what is there to negotiate' notion, it would be a grand move by Abbas to publicly call for Israel to list its pre-requisites for a peace treaty, to clearly state what it requires from Palestinians so that it could end the occupation, pushing this point would really be the best way to unmask Israel and prove to anyone who still doubts that the occupation is intended to be permanent.

-representation and protection of Jewish individuals living within Palestinian territories

Maybe if PLO wishes to have a Palestinian state, they should represent all individuals living within Palestine and incorporate them into their governing coalition. Has PLO ever tried to represent or incorporate settlers into Palestinian government?

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Jan 1, 2015

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

emanresu tnuocca posted:

The coronation of Arafat by Israel was a means to stagnate the intifada, his popularity among the palestinian citizenry was hitting an all time low prior to the negotiations with Rabin which were for all intents and purposes a lifeline extended to the PLO, at the end of the day if everything the PA is bringing to the table a promise to create a stable and 'not-anti-Israel' regime then they're truly not bringing much, for that purpose they're also not really bringing anything permanent, who's to say that in 10 years the Palestinian state would still be led by PA sympathizers etc. It's a farce.
From what I've read and seen in documentaries, from Madrid on, whoever the Israelis talked to, they'd say the PLO was the representative organization. And Arafat's set up a line through Oslo as early as 1979. There was no meaningful alternative negotiation partner for even the most honest Israeli leadership. Unless you know something I don't; I'm always happy to hear more about. My understanding is that by the time Oslo started the Intifada had long since lost its wind.

quote:

I feel like he did something similar, didn't he? At least that was one of the three options Israel could take to start the 9-month stretch, and they chose to release prisoners instead.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

My Imaginary GF posted:

Who's to say there will be a Palestinian state in 10 years? If the PLO collapses, its entirely possible that no state will rise to take its place.

Who's to say anything really? The talmud says: Ever since the fall of the holy temple, it has come to be that prophecy was taken away from the prophets, and given to the infants and the fools.

The point I was making was a hypothetical, that is, even if a peace accord is reached, how does it guarantee that at a certain point in the future the palestinian leadership won't change its mind, a peace treaty is just that, a treaty, and personally I find it very hard to believe that Israel is willing to negotiate exchanging the west bank for some words on a paper.

quote:

-representation and protection of Jewish individuals living within Palestinian territories

Maybe if PLO wishes to have a Palestinian state, they should represent all individuals living within Palestine and incorporate them into their governing coalition. Has PLO ever tried to represent or incorporate settlers into Palestinian government?

That's a nice concept but indicative more than anything that you did not read about the round of negotiations during the Olmert administration led by Livni, cause that was discussed and was flatly rejected by the Israeli government, it has been expressly stated that only IDF troopers on the ground are considered a sufficient protection for settler communities.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

From what I've read and seen in documentaries, from Madrid on, whoever the Israelis talked to, they'd say the PLO was the representative organization. And Arafat's set up a line through Oslo as early as 1979. There was no meaningful alternative negotiation partner for even the most honest Israeli leadership. Unless you know something I don't; I'm always happy to hear more about. My understanding is that by the time Oslo started the Intifada had long since lost its wind.

I feel like he did something similar, didn't he? At least that was one of the three options Israel could take to start the 9-month stretch, and they chose to release prisoners instead.

http://www.chomsky.info/articles/199601--.htm posted:

There has been another change from 1988: at Oslo, Rabin and Shimon Peres were willing to negotiate with the PLO and recognize it as “the representative of the Palestinian people,” at least in a side letter though not in the official agreement. In 1988, they had flatly refused any dealings with the PLO. That transformation has evoked much acclaim from U.S. commentators, who were particularly impressed by Rabin's ability to overcome the revulsion he felt for his old enemy -- and who prefer not to listen to the explanation offered by the objects of their admiration: “There has been a change in them, not us,” Peres informed the Israeli public as the Oslo I accords were announced; “We are not negotiating with the PLO, but only with a shadow of its former self.” The new approved shadow effectively accepts Israel's demands, abandoning its call for mutual recognition in a two-state settlement, the program that branded the PLO a terrorist organization unfit for entry into negotiations, according to the conventions of U.S. discourse.

I don't recall whether Abbas tried something like that in the past tbh.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

That's not addressing what I asked. I didn't say the Israeli leadership was honest, I was saying I don't think there was another meaningful entity with which to speak other than the PLO at the time. The weaknesses of the Oslo Accords weren't a cause, but an effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
There was little to negotiate then and little to negotiate now. Whether there was an alternative negotiations partner is immaterial really, Israel knew it could subvert that original goals of the PLO and turn it into a collaborationist proto-government, which is what it did. The Oslo accords were de facto an annexation, not a jumping off point to a fair settlement.

More from the chomp:

quote:

By incorporating these provisions, Oslo II rescinds the position of virtually the entire world that the settlements are illegal and that Israel has no claim to the territories acquired by force in 1967. Oslo II reaffirms the basic principle of Oslo I: UN resolution 242 of November 1967, the basic framework of Middle East diplomacy, is dead and buried; UN 242, that is, as interpreted by those who formulated it, including -- quite explicitly -- the United States until Washington switched policy in 1971, departing from the international consensus it had helped shape. The “peace process” keeps to the doctrines that the U.S. has upheld in international isolation (apart from Israel) for 25 years, a matter of no slight significance.

To summarize, Israel runs Zone C (about 70 percent of the West Bank) unilaterally, and Zone B (close to 30 percent) effectively, while partially ceding Zone A (1 percent-3 percent). Israel retains unilateral control over the whole West Bank to the extent that it (and its foreign protector) so decide, and the legality of its essential claims is now placed beyond discussion. The principles extend to the Gaza Strip, where Israel retains full control of the 30 percent that it considered of any value.

Minister of Interior Ehud Barak, now Foreign Minister in the Peres government, announced that Oslo II “ensures Israel's absolute superiority in both the military and economic fields.” Benvenisti points out that the Oslo II map, establishing the “peace of the victors,” conforms to the most extreme Israeli proposal, that of the ultra-right General Sharon in 1981. Not surprisingly, Sharon does not appear too dissatisfied with the outcome. Correspondents report that after Oslo II, he was “smiling broadly as he talked about the bright future for” a new West Bank settlement that he had “planned and helped build...and others like it” while watching the “construction going on” and showing the press his own proposed map from 1977, now implemented by Rabin, with whom Sharon said he “felt close,” thanks to the congruence of their programs. Yisrael Harel, the founder of the Yesha Council of West Bank settlers and editor of its extremist newspaper Nekudah, agrees with Sharon and the governing Labor Party: “If they keep to the current plan, I can live with it,” he says. Prime Minister Peres's right-hand man, Labor dove Yossi Beilin, explains that the Oslo II agreement “was delayed for months in order to guarantee that all the settlements would remain intact and that the settlers would have maximum security. This entailed an immense financial investment. The situation in the settlements was never better than that which was created following the Oslo II agreement.”

etc etc

• Locked thread