Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

The Southern Dandy posted:

As a frequent traveler about the South, and a Williams-Sonoma and J Crew shopper, those thing are pretty silly.

$50 worth of chicken and dumplings or 7500g? Chicken and dumplings every time. Side it up with collards and mac and cheese!

The best part? You have to enter in the gift card's complete information so they can 'check the value' themselves and *then* give you a gold quote. But they adamantly state that "your gift card won't be used" or debited...they just need to check. Whereas pretty much every gift-card-buying website on the internet will just give you a quote when you give them a value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Southern Dandy
Jun 15, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT MY RADLEY-WALTERS' MEDAL

Is that medal for being the most intolerable poster in a thread about Warhammer 40.000 novels? Because if it is, you sure blew the competition out of the water, son.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The best part? You have to enter in the gift card's complete information so they can 'check the value' themselves and *then* give you a gold quote. But they adamantly state that "your gift card won't be used" or debited...they just need to check. Whereas pretty much every gift-card-buying website on the internet will just give you a quote when you give them a value.

It shocks me that they're so blatant with this cash grab. After the WTF-E100, I don't know why it would shock me but this is just "please give us money because we spent too much on planes."

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

As a frequent traveler about the South, and a Williams-Sonoma and J Crew shopper, those thing are pretty silly.

$50 worth of chicken and dumplings or 7500g? Chicken and dumplings every time. Side it up with collards and mac and cheese!

Counter-point: as someone who has been in several Cracker Barrel kitchens, the 7500g is definitely safer.

The Southern Dandy
Jun 15, 2010

Is that medal for being the most intolerable poster in a thread about Warhammer 40.000 novels? Because if it is, you sure blew the competition out of the water, son.

Vengarr posted:

Counter-point: as someone who has been in several Cracker Barrel kitchens, the 7500g is definitely safer.

Don't say that about my chicken and dumplings!

Actually do! I love in-shop secrets!

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Don't say that about my chicken and dumplings!

Actually do! I love in-shop secrets!

It's made of people!

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Computer viking posted:

And in bad decision news, I just bought a FV4202 as my first T10.

It's not a bad tank at all, except that it'll supposedly be swapped for oversized Centurion hull #3 in a few months.
At least it's not a Fatton or Leopard.

The Southern Dandy
Jun 15, 2010

Hellsau posted:

It's made of people!

One of my favorite things about reddit is that as soon as someone says something positive about a company or corporation, there are 10-50 very detailed explanations about how they're disgusting, soul-crushing, garbage employers, spelled out in excruciating detail by current/former employees, with all the gruesome minutiae.

I harbor a hatred for authority, and it feeds it like wildfire!

The Southern Dandy fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jan 1, 2015

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Does a Cracker Barrel gift card work in the store, though? If I could load up on olde-timey candies and poo poo, I'd skip the gold...

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

I harbor a hatred for authority, and it feeds it like wildfire!

Typical Southerner. Go back to CSA, Dandy.

The Southern Dandy
Jun 15, 2010

Hellsau posted:

Typical Southerner. Go back to CSA, Dandy.

I can't quit you, Hellsau!

The Southern Dandy
Jun 15, 2010

Missing Name posted:

Does a Cracker Barrel gift card work in the store, though? If I could load up on olde-timey candies and poo poo, I'd skip the gold...

Son, if you've got a CB gift card, you better go buy yourself a jar of old-time shitberry jam and a pack of pancake batter that'll gather dust.

primelaw
Apr 4, 2012

The most southern dandy robot judge
Guys I promise Little Caesar's pizza is actual pizza :v:

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

sauer kraut posted:

At least it's not a Fatton or Leopard.

:gas: thread, ban user.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

It shocks me that they're so blatant with this cash grab. After the WTF-E100, I don't know why it would shock me but this is just "please give us money because we spent too much on planes."

If WG could, they'd send people to turn gamers upside down and shake them until all the money falls out of their pocket. They're often doing specials that really aren't and love nothing more than to discontinue tanks just to create a buying frenzie.

They make me sick and will not get one more cent from ... hey.. what's this? Boats? :homebrew:

Crash74
May 11, 2009

Dalael posted:

They make me sick and will not get one more cent from ... hey.. what's this? Boats? :homebrew:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"You've won a prize in our holiday forum competition!"

Surely they wouldn't send a notice like that out if I'd just won the daily participation gold! :v:

:toot:

http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/411521-planes-tanks-and-sleighs-winners/

Someone on page three already checked the WN8 of all the Type 59 winners. Only two have four-digits, and one has a *76*.

This guy: http://www.noobmeter.com/player/na/Frost8797/1004794680/

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jan 1, 2015

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

I almost played tanks tonight. I logged on, idled for a couple of hours in the garage, and then went out to the bars for new year's. gently caress 5x day. Is this a bad thing or step 1 in a 12 step program?

Comrade_Canada
Jan 24, 2014

played tanks for the x5, ended up on Stalingrad, with a whiny waffle that did 0 dmg. After a couple of pubbie insults, he flies into a rage and goes on to PM me a whole book. Managed to take screenshots of the hilarity and make an album.

http://imgur.com/a/x91g2

WayAbvPar
Mar 11, 2009

Ah- Smug Mode.

Comrade_Canada posted:

played tanks for the x5, ended up on Stalingrad, with a whiny waffle that did 0 dmg. After a couple of pubbie insults, he flies into a rage and goes on to PM me a whole book. Managed to take screenshots of the hilarity and make an album.

This is quality rage. Unless his keyboard was just grimy from all the Cheetos and his cap locks was stuck.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

primelaw posted:

It's cardboard with a thin layer of spiced ketchup and melted polymer on top.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Comrade_Canada posted:

God drat dude grab the lower right corner of the chat window and drag it to enlarge.

brodoyouevengif
Jun 15, 2013

The pubbie blood must flow for le mighty Brodo.

primelaw posted:

It better be, otherwise you have been telling me lies for the past 2 years.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

So, the VK36 is apparently good for farming the 111 mission if you're into that. I was regularly getting 4+ KPG last night, it was pretty nice. Then again, the JP & Panther 2 were also just as effective in their tiers, so no complaints there. I'm guessing that the M6 will work out nicely if I actually finish the German mission and want to do the US one.

thylacine posted:

Is the Pz.Kpfw. IV Ausf. H just bad or am I just bad.

One weird tip to make it die less. I'm always at the bottom third of the pile when I play it.

It, like the M4, is just a generic medium tank. On both you have the option of a 105 howitzer that's effective against lower tiers but less so when you're on the bottom, or a mediocre 3" gun. The M4's 76 has better pen, but poo poo accuracy & handling for such a small gun; the Pz4's 75 handles better, but with unimpressive pen. Neither tank has amazing mobility or armor. Generally play they as support, unless you're top tier with nothing left that can really abuse you (e.g. a KV-1.)

The M7 & Pz3/4 work better as medium tanks as they have actual mobility in addition to functional guns.

Sogol posted:

Blitz-

It's rumored on the RU forums that future maps will be larger. For the time being though the maps are small. Time limits are short. One result is the possibility of a lot of Battles in a short period of time. This also means it's possible to play a lot of different tanks (if you are basically an idiot like myself who had never played any other version of the game). I have played through about 115 tanks to some extent. There are about five available I have not really worked to play, some of which I am working on slowly now that I have picked some tanks to actually attempt to learn to play.

The Blitz tanks have the same or basically the same basic stats on paper as the PC version. I suspect that due to map size, time limit, touch controls that they play very differently than the PC version. Most people in Blitz hate the Lowë for instance, preferring the T34 which is the other T8 non-preferential mm premium. For my part I prefer the Lowë post buff. It is slow, but on the tiny maps you can often play a T95 across most of the map if you keep it rolling so speed is not the same kind of issue.

I am just wondering what actual players from this thread are noticing in terms of play on different tanks? I think it means that the most playable tanks on PC are not necessarily the most fun or most playable in Blitz. No idea though since I have never played the PC version.

General play seems to have changed a great deal since the introduction of Android. My own opinion is that it is getting better, but of course it varies wildly. For a time it seemed like maps would only be resolved in 7-0 massacres, but that seems to be lessening and there are more actually enjoyable games for some reason, it seems to me.

I have had limited game time over the past month, but if you see me on and can stand some atrocious play please send me an invite. I should be on a bit more after the new year. I do know the maps pretty well, regardless of whether or not I can play any of the tanks I have. Personally I don't waste any time trolling chat. The chat functionality sucks and there is no time even if you die very early on a map. Honestly I am not convinced that many of the other people can or do read anything in the chat in any case.

The tanks in Blitz do seem quite similar to their big brothers, although one notable difference is the view ranges: they're not much more than half the values in WoT, but as you said the maps are smaller.

I haven't played Blitz much recently, because there's a huge Winter event going on in WoT and I've been working on the big boy tanks. I did just get Blitz working in Bluestacks last night, but not with a controller. The last time I played, though, on my Shield, it handled very well with the controller; I certainly felt I had an advantage over the drooling pubbies (not to mention my 3 years of experience in WoT,) but then again they're not much more competent in WoT. Blitz does feel more "campy" or at least less active than WoT, probably because of the awkward touch controls, at least in the lower tiers. I suspect that at higher tiers, TDs become very powerful (not unlike in WoT) but having the ability to properly utilize a mobile tank (i.e. a hardware controller) is game-changing. You'd know better than I, though.

Trolling is definitely more difficult with the lack of a full keyboard and the chat string limit; on top of that there's a filter so I can't even say "gay" or "retard" or "shitberg" (that's an iceberg, but made of poo poo FYI.) Generally when I called pubbies out on being hot garbage they responded though, so that's pretty great. :toot:

JohnGalt posted:

Its been a year. Is the game marginally better? Also, what's the new stad patting tank?

Hey, if you do come back hit me up in-game. I think the new OP tank is the tier 8 Brit TD, the Charioteer. Think Hellcat with a 105 L7. :eyepop: I don't have one myself though, I'm still on tier 5.

Hellsau posted:

Guess who's getting gold?

Boy this guy is very earnest indeed. Good catch Elmnt80.

Niiice. The gold has been sent, enjoy, Elmnt!

Darkrenown posted:

Archie and I:

Agreeing with what was said earlier, it really can't carry. And it really sucks to run into someone as you zoom about in reverse, you'll take at least one hit while you rotate. Possibly the most annoying thing though? There's no button to lock your gun while driving, so if you don't want it swinging around retardedly you gotta hold RMB the whole time. Luckily there's a solution to this:

Well to be fair, that doesn't show that the Archer is bad, rather your teams are garbage. Half of your team doing 0 damage doesn't mean the tank you're driving is bad, or can't carry; it just means you ran into a bunch of quixperiencers.

Hellsau posted:

It's made of people!

Pubbies aren't real humans, it's OK to eat them. :colbert:

BIG HEADLINE posted:

http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/411521-planes-tanks-and-sleighs-winners/

Someone on page three already checked the WN8 of all the Type 59 winners. Only two have four-digits, and one has a *76*.

Haha his winrate graph looks like a crooked dick. Or something. At least it's as hosed up as it is to waste a Type 59 on a shitlord like that. :eyepop:

Comrade_Canada posted:

Better watch out, he's gonna fite u IRL m8. EAT A BIG BREAKFAST! :eyepop:

My favorite is insulting a pubbie enough for them to either leave the game, suicide, try to TK, or otherwise try to throw the match. I've actually lost quite a few to over-trolling my own pubbies, but I have no regrets.

T___A
Jan 18, 2014

Nothing would go right until we had a dictator, and the sooner the better.
Since these were just reposted on the WOT forums:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Comrade_Canada posted:

I don't know whats worse, him or your ability to take a simple screenshot.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Elmnt80 posted:

I don't know whats worse, him or your ability to take a simple screenshot.

The comedy value was well worth having to check multiple pictures.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:

rockopete posted:

120mm vs 100mm front hull armor, 80 vs 85 front turret
Other way around.

LostCosmonaut posted:

This man has the right idea. Also, Iron Warriors (theoretically) can do multiplayer (one person is gunner, other drives, IIRC).
It's just a shame the game is so unoptimised and clunky. I don't mind aged graphics, I do mind when aged graphics are coupled with terrible performance. Halo is another serious offender, that game has always run like poo poo no matter what.

I really want Steel Beasts, but it's on the back burner until I have some serious disposable income. I've spent a little on tanks lately, and I have a new joystick and some DCS modules to buy as soon as I can afford to.

Dalael posted:

If WG could, they'd send people to turn gamers upside down and shake them until all the money falls out of their pocket. They're often doing specials that really aren't and love nothing more than to discontinue tanks just to create a buying frenzie.

Honestly, I like WG more than I like a lot of companies. They throw money at museums and historical projects, they make Wehraboos mad as gently caress on a near-constant basis, SerB, and the games are fun if you remove pubbies from the equation (well, Planes could be fun if it was populated and they stopped loving it up).

BIG HEADLINE posted:

WG must be trying to compensate for all the times they gave Type 59s out for incredible matches. Charity time!

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

rossmum posted:

Honestly, I like WG more than I like a lot of companies. They throw money at museums and historical projects, they make Wehraboos mad as gently caress on a near-constant basis, SerB, and the games are fun if you remove pubbies from the equation (well, Planes could be fun if it was populated and they stopped loving it up).

WG must be trying to compensate for all the times they gave Type 59s out for incredible matches. Charity time!

Admitedly, WG is better than a lot of game company (gently caress you EA). As you said, they do give museums money and work on many rebuilding projects. Its actually a great way to use their profit, and is part of the reason why I keep spending on them. Private enterprise that involve themselves like this need to be supported. They are giving back to society and not just raping it for profit.

Is world of plane really doing that bad? Does it even compare to War Thunder in a favorable way?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Seventeen days should be more than enough time to finish the German mission right?

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

"You've won a prize in our holiday forum competition!"

gently caress, of course I win $2 worth of gold, and not a Type 59 or anything cool :(

also, there's a gold reward for making pubbies mad? how do I get in on this?

literally this big fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Jan 1, 2015

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:

Dalael posted:

Is world of plane really doing that bad? Does it even compare to War Thunder in a favorable way?

Yes, and not really. They're two very different games; WT is pretending to be a simulator (hint, even its simulator mode is arcadey garbage and those who say otherwise universally are not actual flight sim players or pilots), while WoWP is basically WoT in the sky. The mechanics are kind of ropey but it would be a much better game if it had enough population to make it playable, as well as some quality of life tweaks and a serious look at the hellfest that is tier 7-8 matchmaking (hope you like fighting jets in a piston-engined plane).

As much as I poo poo on WT it is a much more playable game, though it is pretending to be something it is not and its UI is loving garbage. If Gaijin dropped all pretence of simulation and admitted their game was just arcade planes with vaguely immersive flight they'd get a much less scathing assessment from me, but until then, any developer who claims that their game is a sim while Spitfires bleed energy and stall out in low turning fights can suck down a bowl of testicles smothered in hot dick chutney.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
I played WoWP in beta and it was rather fun for me at the time. However, Beta 4.0 made it too unfun for me for some reason. They changed too many things at once, so I have no real idea if it was the changes in the planes, the physics or the flight model that killed it for me, but I pretty much stopped. Good news are that my fake gold got converted into two months premium when it went live.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Atomizer posted:

Well to be fair, that doesn't show that the Archer is bad, rather your teams are garbage. Half of your team doing 0 damage doesn't mean the tank you're driving is bad, or can't carry; it just means you ran into a bunch of quixperiencers.

Being hosed when your teams suck is the definition of can't carry, surely? Of course, I played more games than those, but as soon as you're not in the ideal "In a good position with lots of targets" situation (And it's pretty good in those situations! Nice wide traverse, powerful gun, seems to have good camo) the tank just becomes a massive pain to play. Admittedly I did want to hit T6 ASAP so my games would start counting toward the WZ-111 mission, so if it wasn't for that I might have stuck with the Archer longer.

falen55
Mar 15, 2006
I'm working toward the SU-122-54 but the grind through the SU-101 is just.so.terrible :saddowns:

I'm not a huge fan of TDs to begin with but holy poo poo is this thing a turd. The only redeeming quality is the gun with its amazing ROF, which you can barely ever get on target as both gun depression and traverse are almost non-existant.

falen55 fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jan 1, 2015

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

falen55 posted:

I'm working toward the SU-122-54

Did you lose a bet or why would you do that?
If you want a T-54 shaped vehicle with a big boom, you're much better served with the Chinese tier 9/10 meds.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

To say nothing of the fact that the -122-54 is a 'rare' tank, so you'll be hunted by the other team mercilessly - especially by the arty.

Also, I'm pretty sure I'm just going to grind out the Soviet and US tokens and spend :10bux: x 4 to just get the WZ-111. That'd make it $50 (since I bought the Japan token last month/year) for quite possibly the best T8 premium in the game tied with the Type 59.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jan 1, 2015

The Southern Dandy
Jun 15, 2010

BIG HEADLINE posted:

To say nothing of the fact that the -122-54 is a 'rare' tank, so you'll be hunted by the other team mercilessly - especially by the arty.

Also, I'm pretty sure I'm just going to grind out the Soviet and US tokens and spend :10bux: x 4 to just get the WZ-111. That'd make it $50 (since I bought the Japan token last month/year) for quite possibly the best T8 premium in the game tied with the Type 59.

Did you miss out on the Type 59?

falen55
Mar 15, 2006

sauer kraut posted:

Did you lose a bet or why would you do that?
If you want a T-54 shaped vehicle with a big boom, you're much better served with the Chinese tier 9/10 meds.

I love the T-54 and all of its derivatives so I decided to grind out its TD version.

Thank God for these 5x specials because this grind will take forever.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I thought about this some more. So the WN8 gives you like a value of ~175 just for showing up, right? Clicking "battle" and doing 0 damage? This guy has found a way to be less competent than that and he gets a type 59. :psyboom: I mean I know they're more or less randomly awarded (and I already have one so I don't give too many fucks) but they should probably take a peek at the preliminary "winners" to make sure they don't reward players that actively ruin the game.

RandomPauI posted:

Seventeen days should be more than enough time to finish the German mission right?

3 days, and I'm assuming you have more free time than I do. Set a goal for 50 kills + 50k damage each day and you should be able to do a few more of those missions. I'll be lucky if I finish 2-3. For the German one, I'd suggest playing the tanks I mentioned in the last post.

Illegal Carrot posted:

gently caress, of course I win $2 worth of gold, and not a Type 59 or anything cool :(

also, there's a gold reward for making pubbies mad? how do I get in on this?

I give out a little gold every time a PANSY makes a pubbie complain to me or does something that otherwise amuses me.

Darkrenown posted:

Being hosed when your teams suck is the definition of can't carry, surely? Of course, I played more games than those, but as soon as you're not in the ideal "In a good position with lots of targets" situation (And it's pretty good in those situations! Nice wide traverse, powerful gun, seems to have good camo) the tank just becomes a massive pain to play. Admittedly I did want to hit T6 ASAP so my games would start counting toward the WZ-111 mission, so if it wasn't for that I might have stuck with the Archer longer.

Eh, it's one thing to have to carry your team, but when half your team is actually playing for the enemy it's a whole other ballgame. Considering you can't take out your Benedict Arnolds without penalty.... I mean it's one thing to carry your team against 15 enemies, but when you have to do it against 20+, you can't honestly expect any tank to carry that hard.

falen55 posted:

I'm working toward the SU-122-54 but the grind through the SU-101 is just.so.terrible :saddowns:

I'm not a huge fan of TDs to begin with but holy poo poo is this thing a turd. The only redeeming quality is the gun with its amazing ROF, which you can barely ever get on target as both gun depression and traverse are almost non-existant.

The SU-101 is amazing when you realize that it becomes effective on specific spots on each map. You can't get shots everywhere, but you can use your great mobility & camo to get into valuable positions from which you can sodomize the enemy. It isn't fun until it *clicks*, at which point the :a2m: commences! :getin:

Remember, the SU-101 is basically a T-54 without a turret at tier 8. :eyepop: You can either wolfpack with the meds or camp at the end of a DOTA lane.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I'm not noticing anyone paying any extra attention to me in the 122-54. The "better" gun depression helps with positioning, and I guess I have a CHAI-esque playstyle (CHAIstyle?) nowadays, but I never have enemy teams drop everything and gun for me. It would be nice if that worked as I platoon with competent players who could exploit that, but no, the 122-54 is just another tonk for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Atomizer posted:

The M7 & Pz3/4 work better as medium tanks as they have actual mobility in addition to functional guns.

I'm pretty sure the III/IV and IV H have the same L/48 as their top 75mm.