Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Quest For Glory II posted:

Puzzle dungeons would be fine if they weren't made more tedious by encounters (especially random encounters). Puzzle dungeon + random encounter is the worst combo in JRPGs

I think this is where Lufia 2 got it super right since all the puzzle rooms are free of monsters.

Why didn't more games be more like Lufia 2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Shadow Hearts 2 dungeons are godawful turbomaze slogfests that made me quit the game combined with the encounter rate and even single round encounters taking way too long

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tonfa posted:

Shadow Hearts 2 dungeons are godawful turbomaze slogfests that made me quit the game combined with the encounter rate and even single round encounters taking way too long
Shadow Hearts 1 is like that, but with teleporter mazes. :v:

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

A few dead ends with treasure are mazes now?

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
Yeah I don't recall any mazes. Idar Flamme and Immortal Mountain are as close as it gets, and even then all the paths either give you a treasure immediately, or point to the boss eventually. A few of the dungeons are loving long, but almost all of them have a unique gimmick that makes them memorable and interesting.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Every time I hear the word 'maze' I remember Secret of Evermore, then I blank out and wake up on the floor shivering.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

My favorite dungeon in Shadow Hearts 2 is the one where you get a game over if you gently caress up the 'one of them always lies, one of them always tells the truth' riddle

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

There are a whole lot of people who'd consider that one a negative.
http://youtu.be/amKyA2PrSu4?t=8s

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Endorph posted:

My favorite dungeon in Shadow Hearts 2 is the one where you get a game over if you gently caress up the 'one of them always lies, one of them always tells the truth' riddle
You mean, where you pick the path marked by a "deeper into the forest" flower after you've already reached the very centre?

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

I'm enjoying FF13 so far :shobon: though I'm only up to chapter... 6 ish. But then I've never been much for exploring or complicated mechanics, and frankly would rather just be told a story and have fights in RPGs nowadays, so hey yo.

Speaking of being told a story, I've mostly finished reading/watching all the LPs Sylphid did for the Atelier series of games, and I'm wondering if anything similar/more modern has come out (even a new Atelier?) that I could have a gander at on PC or PS4. More character-story oriented games, like. Only thing I can think of off hand is Trails in the Sky, but the sluggish combat drove me away from that one before I even got a third party member :(

can't stop listening to the ayesha OST send help

If you thought Escha & Logy's battle system looked good, you can try emulating Mana Khemia 1 and 2 for the PS2. That's where the battle system originally came from, and it's a blast. The story isn't nearly as great, and all the characters in 2 are either idiots or assholes. I personally enjoyed that, but it can turn some people off.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Erg posted:

If you thought Escha & Logy's battle system looked good, you can try emulating Mana Khemia 1 and 2 for the PS2. That's where the battle system originally came from, and it's a blast. The story isn't nearly as great, and all the characters in 2 are either idiots or assholes. I personally enjoyed that, but it can turn some people off.

I'll give those a look, thanks.

I've also been told to give Trails in the Sky another chance for the characters, but the combat is so sloooow :mad:

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

GrandpaPants posted:

I think this is where Lufia 2 got it super right since all the puzzle rooms are free of monsters.

Why didn't more games be more like Lufia 2?

I ask myself this on a near daily basis. It's hands-down one of my favorite games. I think it not only had some of the best puzzles in an RPG, but some of the best dungeon design in general.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

I've also been told to give Trails in the Sky another chance for the characters, but the combat is so sloooow :mad:
i dont think it's that slow, at least not once you start getting a full party and some decent AOE spells, which happens about in Chapter 1.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jan 1, 2015

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Ciaphas posted:

You gave up before you even finished the Tutorial chapter. There are not a lot of skills and arts available at that time.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

to be fair the tutorial chapter is kind of drawn out

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
Well everything in Trails is kind of drawn out, fortunately it's a good game so it benefits from being drawn out.

Quest For Glory II posted:

Puzzle dungeons would be fine if they weren't made more tedious by encounters (especially random encounters). Puzzle dungeon + random encounter is the worst combo in JRPGs

Don't quote me on this but I think the Wild ARMs games disabled random encounters during puzzle rooms. Even if they didn't, they let you shut them down after you reached a certain par level for the encounter.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I don't mind the drawn out story--so much the better if it's a good one--just the combat in the TiTS prologue is pretty toilet. Still, as you say, it's the prologue, so maybe I'll give it another go.

Maybe I'll pick up FF13 again if they ever release LR on PC or something, I dunno :v:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Ciaphas posted:

I don't mind the drawn out story--so much the better if it's a good one--just the combat in the TiTS prologue is pretty toilet. Still, as you say, it's the prologue, so maybe I'll give it another go.

Maybe I'll pick up FF13 again if they ever release LR on PC or something, I dunno :v:

The events of ff13 legitimately do not matter by the time of LR

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Just noticed there's a few of the older SMT games available for mobiles, are any of them worth playing nowadays?

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Exhibition C: Colgate white smile

Sakurazuka posted:

Just noticed there's a few of the older SMT games available for mobiles, are any of them worth playing nowadays?

Not really, unless you're a completionist. While they have a certain charm/nostalgia to them, the graphics and clunky movement tend to make your head hurt.

Plus the negotiation system is hell at times.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Heavy neutrino posted:

Don't quote me on this but I think the Wild ARMs games disabled random encounters during puzzle rooms. Even if they didn't, they let you shut them down after you reached a certain par level for the encounter.

That was Wild Arms 5. Every dungeon and quadrant of the world map allowed you to fight an optional boss that would allow you to turn off random encounters for that area. None of the games eased up on random encounters in puzzle rooms though.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

MockingQuantum posted:

Thanks for the Tactics Ogre tips all. I don't know where I got the idea that the PSP version is hard, I guess. I could have sworn a friend of mine told me that some element of it was hard, if not the overall game. Is there some character that you can only get if one nation likes you, after you've spent the first third of the game slaughtering its soldiers, or something like that? I may be games completely confused as to what he was talking about, otherwise.
That's a secret character hardly anyone recruits unless you want to be die hard in the post-game. Deneb is another secret character that is painful to recruit if you don't cheat.

The rest of the secret characters are recruited through mostly vanilla means outside of exclusive post content characters that like 1% of people probably bothered recruiting (there's no reason to bother).

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

U-DO Burger posted:

That was Wild Arms 5. Every dungeon and quadrant of the world map allowed you to fight an optional boss that would allow you to turn off random encounters for that area. None of the games eased up on random encounters in puzzle rooms though.

That's not true. I'm playing through Wild Arms 2 right now and random encounters are definitely turned off in the more complex puzzle rooms.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Sakurazuka posted:

Well, only SMT 1 has been localized, and I personally quite liked it for what it is. It's worth the $5-7 they charge for the thing. It's a bit clunky on an iPad though as its all vertical.

SMT II is out as well but as I mention abovr, JPN only.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Hah, I didn't notice that, I only looked at the first game then saw they had 2 and ..If on there as well.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Sakurazuka posted:

Hah, I didn't notice that, I only looked at the first game then saw they had 2 and ..If on there as well.

Yeah, wouldn't have minded playing through those but not going to attempt SMT games with my JPN skillset.

Separately, man, Shadowrun Dragonfall writing actually is getting better in 2nd half of the game. Almost can't believe this is from same guys who wrote DMS. What a great story so far (about 2/3 or maybe 3/4 in). Probably the best RPG story for 2014 that I played.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

corn in the bible posted:

The events of ff13 legitimately do not matter by the time of LR
weren't the endings of 13 and 13-2 retconned at the beginning of 13-2 and LR respectively? I vaguely recall something absurd like that going on though I stopped playing at 13.

evilskillit
Jan 7, 2014

METAL TOADS

al-azad posted:

Terrible how? Is he Tales of the Abyss Luke terrible where he's a dangerously naive manchild paired with the strongest people on the planet who refuse to teach him or is he Radiata Stories Jack Russell terrible where he trolls everyone by pretending he's ignorant and will destroy the world to adventure with his tsundere girlfriend?

Because Luke was sad but Jack Russell is amazing and I need to know if he's sad-terrible or amazing-terrible.

I thought Tales of the Abyss was amazing because while almost all JRPG protagonists are completely loving worthless twats this was the first time that the party acknowledges this, and leaves the main character to die in favor of someone who sucks less forcing him to actually realize his shittiness and become a better person. I thought that whole angle was quite refreshing.

As for Radiata stories, I never did finish it but man I loved that game. I wish I had finished it or that I would finish it some day.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

evilskillit posted:

I thought Tales of the Abyss was amazing because while almost all JRPG protagonists are completely loving worthless twats this was the first time that the party acknowledges this, and leaves the main character to die in favor of someone who sucks less forcing him to actually realize his shittiness and become a better person. I thought that whole angle was quite refreshing.

As for Radiata stories, I never did finish it but man I loved that game. I wish I had finished it or that I would finish it some day.

It would have been a great angle if literally everybody didn't already know Luke was a clone and refused to tell him. Never before have I played a game where the protagonist is ignorant and the supporting characters not only hate him for it but set him up for failure.

e: Actually Xenogears. Put me firmly in the "Citan is a douchebag" category.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So I bit the bullet and brought all of the Ys games on Steam Sale. I've decided to start with Oath of Felghana.

I have two questions:

#1 Am I suppose to be grinding like crazy in the game? I'm at the ruins where I have to fight Chester and he is clearly way above me (I'm at level 13). Do I just keep grinding away until I beat him?

#2 Is this what the Ys games are like or is this a pure spinoff? I was under the impression that the Ys games were traditional JRPGs with a psuedo action battle system and not rouge likes.

Sakurazuka posted:

I have only played Shin Megami Tensei II, but I have heard that the first one is the same, just with less bells and whistles. So keep in mind when I talk about the old ones available I can only speak for II.

If I were to judge the game on today's RPG standards the game...is still pretty good. It isn't perfect by any means necessary but it is a very enjoyable experience. The game has a very interesting atmosphere and feel to it. It's very cyberpunk but very occult at the same time. The battle system obviously isn't the deepest but it gets things done. Actually I think a better and simpler way to describe the game is that it is a slightly more primitive Soul Hackers. Like Soul Hackers the game hasn't aged perfectly, but if you are willing to overlook random battles, non-nonsensical difficulty curves, strange dungeon design decisions , and having to conserve magnetite you will definitely enjoy it. It's no IV or III, but it's still way more worth your while than your random waifu JRPG of the season.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jan 2, 2015

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Levels make a big difference in Ys yes, but I don't ever remember a part where I had to spend more than 10 minutes killing enemies in a new area before I was up to speed. Making sure you have the best gear available is super important too.
And yup, that's what Ys games are like, they've always been full action RPG, even the early ones where you have to run into people to hit them. Ys 7 and Celceta (which I don't think are available on Steam, though I could be wrong) add a party system where you switch between three characters, each good against a certain enemy type, but it's still action all the way.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jan 2, 2015

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Levels in Ys games make a huuuge difference, if a boss annihilates you it's worth getting a couple more and trying again. Also getting good, but both help.

punk rebel ecks posted:

#2 Is this what the Ys games are like or is this a pure spinoff? I was under the impression that the Ys games were traditional JRPGs with a psuedo action battle system and not rouge likes.

That's..what they are? Where the hell are you getting the idea that Oath is a roguelike?

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

punk rebel ecks posted:

So I bit the bullet and brought all of the Ys games on Steam Sale. I've decided to start with Oath of Felghana.

I have two questions:

#1 Am I suppose to be grinding like crazy in the game? I'm at the ruins where I have to fight Chester and he is clearly way above me (I'm at level 13). Do I just keep grinding away until I beat him?
No. In a Ys game you rarely need to grind if you haven't been actively avoiding enemies. I hesitate to say GIT GUD :smuggo: but the bosses are very difficult and you get to retry as many times as you like, so just practice!

quote:

All of the Ys games post-Ark of Napishtim are action RPGs. Ys Seven and Celceta are a little different, but Oath in Felghana and Ys Origin have the same gameplay.

They are definitely nothing like roguelikes at all, though. Don't start people on the roguelike tirade. Go take a gander at Nethack or Dungeon Crawl to see what a roguelike is like.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ys games are kind of unique really, the closest thing to them are probably 2D Zelda games only with the focus on combat, rather than exploration and puzzling.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Well things were going fine until I go to the Ruins area. The enemies kicked my rear end so I just kept grinding and eventually just avoided enemies. I thought maybe it would be too early for that but I couldn't find any other sidequests or anything to do in the town so I assumed that I HAD to go to the Ruins.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Two rules of thumb for Ys games, whenever you advance the plot, always go around and talk to every NPC in the main town hub, check what armour weapons are available and enemies in new areas will always kick your arse until you gain a couple of levels and buy/find the best armour you can.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
What I usually find in Ys games, and Oath in particular, is that if I arrive at a boss at a reasonable level (kill things on the way to get there) gaining exactly one more level is about all I'll have to do if the boss is proving too difficult. Like the bosses have some base defense/attack stats that will effectively negate most of your damage until you get it past a certain threshold. But once you do all of a sudden you're dealing a lot more damage and surviving just enough more blows.

The elemental knight in the castle is the one I remember most vividly for this; I probably died like 20 times before going out and grinding one more level and doing it in one try the next time.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Should I be stressing out much if I outright miss a couple of Bracer jobs in Trails in the Sky? I just realized looking in my book that apparently on my way to Ravennue(?) village a couple of the monster hunts expired and now my OCD is kicking in :gonk:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
You get a reward in TitS SC for getting every point of BP in TitS FC, but that is pretty much impossible to do without following a guide. And even then that reward is apparently kind of useless (raises rare item drop rates or something).

Feel free to stress about it if you want but you'll get the actual best BP reward way before maximum BP so missing out on a decent number of jobs isn't that big of a deal. Just don't, like, intentionally avoid doing them if you can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Nihilarian posted:

weren't the endings of 13 and 13-2 retconned at the beginning of 13-2 and LR respectively? I vaguely recall something absurd like that going on though I stopped playing at 13.

13-2 retcons 13, yes. lr not so much, though they explain enough of what happened that you dont need to play 13-2 to know what's going on (the world is hosed)